RegisterDonateLogin

Jabba has no time for smugglers who drop their Bloo Milk at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

2022 VASSAL CON Schedule! Options
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2022 3:14:07 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Affinity works like normal. So yes, you can have characters that can play in either a Lightside or Darkside squad (Mas, Jaq, XT-6, etc.).
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2022 8:34:53 AM
Groups: Member

UrbanShmi wrote:
Affinity works like normal. So yes, you can have characters that can play in either a Lightside or Darkside squad (Mas, Jaq, XT-6, etc.).

To get pedantic, "works like normal" gets confusing.

For example - if I wanted a dark side squad, but wanted to use Mas Amedda, then I'd declare it an "Imperial" squad - easy enough.

But if I ALSO wanted to use Jaq, who is OR but has affinity for Sith, I'd need to declare the squad "Sith".

But that's a conflict. Normally, you'd have to declare a faction for the squad. But you couldn't declare it both Imperial and Sith.

So "works like normal" doesn't really work here since the faction rules are already being broken in this format.

So - is what you are saying actually this:

A character who is of a light side faction but has affinity for a dark side faction (or vice versa) may be included in any squad?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2022 9:26:49 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

A character who is of a light side faction but has affinity for a dark side faction (or vice versa) may be included in any squad?

Yes. Apologies for the confusion.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2022 10:58:53 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Yes. Apologies for the confusion.

Thank you. I know that’s rules nitpicky, but I figure better to be 100% clear
urbanjedi
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2022 12:24:47 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

Thursday, September 8:

11 a.m. Central/12 noon Eastern: 225-point Lightside OR Darkside tourney

Choose a squad comprised of pieces from EITHER Lightside or Darkside factions. Your squad may contain pieces from any faction on the selected side (see below). You may use Fringe in any squad.

Lightside: Old Republic, Republic, Rebel, New Republic, all-Fringe
Darkside: Sith, Separatist, Imperial, Yuuzhan Vong, Mandalorian

Maplist: Asteroid Base
Cantina
Gangster's Vault
Outlaw City
Ravaged Base
Rhen Var Citadel

How does affinity work? (IE - can Mas Amedda play in a Darkside squad?)

Think of it like this.

You can build a squad that is all one faction if you choose.

If you have multiple factions then your squad is either good guys or bad guys

Then: Replace all instances of Old Republic, Republic, Rebel, New Republic with "Good Guys" and all instances of Sith, Separatist, Imperial, Yuuzhan Vong, Mandalorian with "bad guys"

So in Mas ameda case if you wanted you play him in your "bad guys" squad since he has affinity "bad guys".

Now there are some other trickier ones that have other restrictions as well like say Vader of Scariff who is sith but has affinity (May be in an Imperial squad that does not contain any commanders)

In Vaders case, if you wanted to play him in a mixed faction "bad guy" squad, his affinity would mean that you would not be allowed any commanders. affinity (May be in a "Bad Guys" squad that does not contain any commanders)

Gantoris could still bring Exar Force ghost to a "good guys" squad as long as there were no corran horn.

Kal Skirata could bring ARCs, omega and yayax to the "bad guys" assuming you didn't have some other rival preventing it.

Jacen in amphistaff armor can still bring Vong to the good guys.

Hope this helps and doesn;t make it more confusing
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2022 12:44:41 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
UrbanShmi wrote:

Thursday, September 8:

11 a.m. Central/12 noon Eastern: 225-point Lightside OR Darkside tourney

Choose a squad comprised of pieces from EITHER Lightside or Darkside factions. Your squad may contain pieces from any faction on the selected side (see below). You may use Fringe in any squad.

Lightside: Old Republic, Republic, Rebel, New Republic, all-Fringe
Darkside: Sith, Separatist, Imperial, Yuuzhan Vong, Mandalorian

Maplist: Asteroid Base
Cantina
Gangster's Vault
Outlaw City
Ravaged Base
Rhen Var Citadel

How does affinity work? (IE - can Mas Amedda play in a Darkside squad?)

Think of it like this.

You can build a squad that is all one faction if you choose.

If you have multiple factions then your squad is either good guys or bad guys

Then: Replace all instances of Old Republic, Republic, Rebel, New Republic with "Good Guys" and all instances of Sith, Separatist, Imperial, Yuuzhan Vong, Mandalorian with "bad guys"

So in Mas ameda case if you wanted you play him in your "bad guys" squad since he has affinity "bad guys".

Now there are some other trickier ones that have other restrictions as well like say Vader of Scariff who is sith but has affinity (May be in an Imperial squad that does not contain any commanders)

In Vaders case, if you wanted to play him in a mixed faction "bad guy" squad, his affinity would mean that you would not be allowed any commanders. affinity (May be in a "Bad Guys" squad that does not contain any commanders)

Gantoris could still bring Exar Force ghost to a "good guys" squad as long as there were no corran horn.

Kal Skirata could bring ARCs, omega and yayax to the "bad guys" assuming you didn't have some other rival preventing it.

Jacen in amphistaff armor can still bring Vong to the good guys.

Hope this helps and doesn;t make it more confusing

Haha, I knew it was much more complicated than just "it works like normal"
Reunion_Reunion
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 1:44:12 AM

I'm gonna try to play! I'm kind of a newb so, please forgive me xD. I'm gonna be here mostly to meet the community! I hope some of you can play more with me sometime after; I'd really like to "git gud".

PS is there a way to spectate games...? I want to "compete" but; I might be better suited as an observer to some events. New
gholli69
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 2:24:36 AM

Reunion_Reunion wrote:
I'm gonna try to play! I'm kind of a newb so, please forgive me xD. I'm gonna be here mostly to meet the community! I hope some of you can play more with me sometime after; I'd really like to "git gud".

PS is there a way to spectate games...? I want to "compete" but; I might be better suited as an observer to some events. New

Yes, you can spectate on Vassel. You have to be logged in but you can join games as an observer. I see from your profile that you are from IL. Where In the state do you live? There are several good players in the Chicago area, and there is also a good playgroup in the North central Indiana area of Kokomo and Indianapolis that gets together semi frequently if you wanted to drive a bit.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 4:27:33 AM

Reunion_Reunion wrote:

Yay! Welcome!
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 5:52:17 AM

I have submitted my squads (except for the Champs--go vote!) to a neutral party. You can start sending your registrations to me at any time.

Please use this format:

link (from Bloomilk)

Copy paste of squad contents

Map:
donnie72191
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 7:36:02 AM

hey where is this at exactly? i would love to play, does anyone here play the game in the Philadelphia area?
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 7:53:14 AM

donnie72191 wrote:
hey where is this at exactly? i would love to play, does anyone here play the game in the Philadelphia area?

This is online using Vassal.

First, you need the vassal engine: https://vassalengine.org/

Then, the Star Wars Minis module: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=28753

The interface isn't hard to use, but you probably want a 15-20 minute tutorial before the first game.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 8:20:48 AM

Reunion_Reunion wrote:

Take it from me. Jump into it. Set yourself up to know you will get throttled for a few tournaments. It is ok. "Baptism by Fire" is a great way to learn and get better. Just be familiar with the Rules and DON'T FORGET ADEQUATE DOOR CONTROL. LOL LOL
Reunion_Reunion
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2022 5:15:11 PM

Caedus wrote:

Take it from me. Jump into it. Set yourself up to know you will get throttled for a few tournaments. It is ok. "Baptism by Fire" is a great way to learn and get better. Just be familiar with the Rules and DON'T FORGET ADEQUATE DOOR CONTROL. LOL LOL

Yeah, I remember as a kid - well basically a kid - I pulled the Revan piece. Y'know, I was just collecting, having fun, and like. Got invited to this tournament. Pretty sure it scarred me, xD man did I get shut down with my trash squad. Traded him thinking he wasn't very good; very painful choice as a big fan of the game at the time, but yeah. Only time I won: 200pts of only storm trooper, loaned to me by another player. That guy was a real bro. Definitely had no right to win with that squad.

Anyway anyway, maybe you can look at my squads and recommend one to me? For both events I'm trying to register for, I'm looking at the following squads as contenders and fun times:

Shooters:
Big numbers 2: Bigger numbers
Alien 7: rEwoken

Superstealth:
You Will Join Us and/or Die 2: The Hauntening

Gimmick/Funpit:
Thriller the Musical the Game (even though it auto-loses to seps and vong for sure - but i figure, I'm not walking out first tourney with a bunch of W's so. Might as well enjoy myself xD)
Muurder of Ghosts

Can you DM me some like. Idk. Just whatever comes to your mind? Which squad should I play? Which is best? Which is worst? Tech changes you might recommend for the comp scene? You could post it here too if you prefer - just doesn't seem like the place to carry on discussions like this.

Same goes to anyone else reading this. :P Ik i'm putting my squads out there for counter but, honestly, if you're worried about ME as a competitor - then you're probably not gonna win anyway. LOL

Also big thanks to everyone for having me around, hosts for hosting, community for communifying, and everyone else for being generally awesome.

Also, to answer an earlier question, I'm in the Carbondale / southern Illinois area. Chicago is like 5 hours away for me sadly.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2022 4:28:26 AM

We're less than a week away!

Please note that we will be using Discord to chat before, after, and during matches. If you don't have access to the SWM server, pm me your Discord name with the four digit code and I will get you an invite.

Also, I am taking squads and registrations (see other thread).
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2022 2:18:08 PM

Or just use this permanent link to join the Discord: https://discord.gg/nDt9t9Mvht
UrbanShmi
Posted: Sunday, September 4, 2022 2:36:43 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Or just use this permanent link to join the Discord: https://discord.gg/nDt9t9Mvht

ThumbsUp
donnie72191
Posted: Monday, September 5, 2022 11:16:55 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
donnie72191 wrote:

This is online using Vassal.

First, you need the vassal engine: https://vassalengine.org/

Then, the Star Wars Minis module: http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=28753

The interface isn't hard to use, but you probably want a 15-20 minute tutorial before the first game.

this is awesome, i just downloaded it. whenever you wanna play a game im down....
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 11:43:29 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:

Please use this format:

link (from Bloomilk)

Copy paste of squad contents

Map:

I'd suggest adding Vassal Name and Discord Name (especially if they are different)
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 11:52:28 AM

Are we doing typical Vassal 75 min rounds? (for the 200 and up games, I'm guessing less for the lower point ones)