RegisterDonateLogin

The Force is with Bloo Milk, but it is not a Jedi yet.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Mount and Flight Options
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 10:36:44 AM
Groups: Member

If you have mounted a character and the character that mounted has flight, can you fly off of the character on your turn?
kobayashimaru
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2022 11:17:20 AM

Great question;
are you referring to VSET ability "Mount", or like Transport from Troop Cart?
I think mount took a 'replaces-attacks" to mount or dismount.

I am assuming,
you had a character 'onboard' a mounted/ transport figure, that was defeated over a pit? BlooMilk

Hothie and SithBorg and Jim-2 etc
and some folks from the Wizards of the Coast forum era,
had different interpretations over how to handle the reconciling of order of operations on that.
FlyingArrow and Ugor and a few other folks had some great points.
Steve-O made a few counter-scenarios, it's somewhere in the Wayback Machine IIRC...
I think a lot of the Troop Cart discussions would apply here.

If So,
I think the only relevant scenario is,
when dismounting over a pit.
If you do not have flight, I don't think you can dismount over a pit as that would be insta-defeat.
Local leagues allowed the "Roll D20, if < 11, take 20DMG and moved to adjacent to Pit" as a fair house rule in
scenarios where figures on a transport that is defeated over a pit are 'ejected' from that when the model is defeated.
So, in that interpretation - they do not check for Special Ability among the Container of the Carried/Transported Inventory Management List
The Rulebook term "Character" is used instead,
to allow a 'Avoid Defeat" style roll for any character that would otherwise be defeated when

I think it's fair for a "Avoid Defeat" style rule for embarked characters to be moved to a adjacent-to-pit-edge square.
Just a mod to the Startup Placement Rules for placing characters on the battlefield really.
Its like Space Hulk anyways so, I don't see the issue for Home Games for that House Rule / Venue Specific Floor Rule to allow that.

The other interpretation is
"Embarked Characters are like Reserves 20 or Reinforcements etc, so, they are not actually still "In-Play"
they are moved to a phase at the end-of-turn consolidation in the OrderOfOperations.
Therefore, they do not have an activation to expend to leave being 'transported'
and so, they are stuck 'wherever Out of Play" is.

The victory points are inclusive of any player transported aboard.
yes, I have seen arguments where people split hairs over "Is the Game Concluded if , I had transported' characters on a troop cart etc
that are defeated over a pit, are all pieces defeated for the purposes of
Concluding Victory Point?"
That was a 'fun' arbitrage by the Chess Time Principle in the
Floor Rules Round-Robin Terms and Conditions etc...

Technically, if there are pieces in a "Out of Play" area,
are they all defeated? No.
But, most games don't go by "defeat all opponent pieces" as the main or sole criterion.
It is a check of the Victory Points at the Time. A regulation Game is what, 60mins max?
many locales have 30mins AND use a Chess Clock for the time so that
Slow Play is TKO Prevented
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2022 4:06:48 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

No, you can't move off the character with Mount even if you have Flight. The ways to get off are as follows:
-Using the Mount ability, immediately before your first activation.
-If the character with Mount is defeated.
-Swapping the Mounted character with another via Thrawn etc.
-Abilities or commander effects that "place" the Mounted character somewhere instead of moving them.
Udorian84
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2022 4:10:41 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
No, you can't move off the character with Mount even if you have Flight. The ways to get off are as follows:
-Using the Mount ability, immediately before your first activation.
-If the character with Mount is defeated.
-Swapping the Mounted character with another via Thrawn etc.
-Abilities or commander effects that "place" the Mounted character somewhere instead of moving them.

Kind of a weird interaction. You can levitate a piece off the back but cant use your jetpack to fly? but it makes sense as far as rules goes. Thank you!
AceAce
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2022 1:24:36 PM

...can you put a character with the Holocron attached to it on the back of a character with mount? I don't know why not, but it says one character..small or medium.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2022 2:39:34 PM

AceAce wrote:
...can you put a character with the Holocron attached to it on the back of a character with mount? I don't know why not, but it says one character..small or medium.

The Holocron remains attached and is placed adjacent to the character with Mount, Troop Cart, Desert Skiff, or Meditation Sphere. In those cases, transported allies are considered to be on the board adjacent to the transport.

However, a Holocron will become detached if the ally boards a Large Transport. (Barada on Desert Skiff)
Characters transported by Large Transport are no longer considered to be on the board.

**Holocrons themselves cannot move and therefore cannot be transported.