RegisterDonateLogin

Your kind of scum.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : How Many Maps for the Restricted List?
Choice Votes Statistics
4 0 0.000000 %
5 0 0.000000 %
6 10 100.000000 %

2023-2024 Map List Discussion Options
Caedus
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 5:05:46 AM
Groups: Member

Now that Vassal Con (- the final game) is completed. It is time to start talking about broken Maps instead of broken Squads! Laugh

So this is the part of the thread that I would like to hear from all of you on suggestions, gotta have it, please God don't do it, and everything else map-wise that you would like to see or not see, happen or not happen with the new Restricted Maplist.

As the map guy I am charged with assembling a Map List for the upcoming Tourney season. Since we usually have Fall Vassal Tourney's I would like to have this completed by the end of the first week in October, so that doesn't give me much time.

With the limited number of in-person tourneys and the smaller numbers (hopefully we can change this by accommodating the NZlanders. Laura has shown us the way!!!) I don't think we can go back to multiple map lists at this time.

Thanks to everyone that has a hand in the continuation of our game!!!
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 5:37:33 AM

I'd personally like to see Oceanic Facility come off. While it's not necessarily a bad map, engagement on it sometimes takes awhile to happen just because the left has to slog through a lot of difficult terrain. Same with Gangster's Vault. It's a bit of a slog to get to engagement.

As far as definites to keep from my perspective, Royal Militia HQ is a great map and needs to stay. It's fairly easy to get into combat while offering a safe approach to the center for both parties. Asteroid Base is much the same way although it's a bit more of a shooting gallery.

With regards to the other 4 maps I'm not particularly attached to any of them. I know Cloud City has had a lot of time on the map circuit.

I'd prefer not to see Rhen Var added to the Maplist as its another slog. I think Mushroom Planet has some potential though I'd need to play on it to really see. Cantina is a godawful map imo and I'd rather not see it on the restricted list either. That being said I'm just one guy but that's where I stand.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 8:45:29 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

spryguy1981 wrote:

I'd prefer not to see Rhen Var added to the Maplist as its another slog. I think Mushroom Planet has some potential though I'd need to play on it to really see. Cantina is a godawful map imo and I'd rather not see it on the restricted list either. That being said I'm just one guy but that's where I stand.

You just named my two favorite maps! But I get it.

Anyway, I agree about Oceanic Facility. The big wall in the center of the map makes it way too easy to set up a killbox.

The Imperial maps (Garrison and Checkpoint) can stay. I'd enjoy seeing Ravaged Base come back, as well.

This past year's maplist felt very shooter friendly to me, with not a lot of options for a squad without shooter support. I know others disagree about that. That said, I like Gangster's Vault and am coming to appreciate Desert Marketplace.

I'm not familiar enough with the maps to offer any suggestions. However. I'm usually up for a game, so if you want to test, hit me up.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 9:55:12 AM

I would have voted for more than 6 maps on the restricted list.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 9:57:11 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
I would have voted for more than 6 maps on the restricted list.

+1. The more the merrier!
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 1:34:06 PM

Personally, I really liked the restricted maplist this year; it seemed to foster some interesting squad compositions.

I'm not a big fan of the Oceanic Facility, because of the reasons already mentioned. Beyond that, I was happy with the rest of the maps. I'd personally really like to see the Desert Marketplace stay on for another year.

As for the number of maps (following on TJ's comment), I'm open to any number of maps, as long as each map on the list is a good map for competitive play. With that in mind, it's nice to have some variety from year to year, so I wouldn't want to see ALL of the suitable maps used every year, since that would result in no rotation at all. For the past few years we've had 8 maps on the restricted list...perhaps there are enough good maps that we could have as many as 10-12 on a given year, if that's what looked good to most people in the community.

Randy
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 6:07:44 PM

Everyone always laughs, but I seriously would like to see the hardboard come back. It is smaller and can allow for fast engagement. There are some good spider holes to hide in, but none that are impossible to threaten.

I've never been a fan of Gangster's Vault. Ocean Facility is fine to stay in contention, but it can go for now.

Asteroid Base
Desert Marketplace
Imperial Checkpoint
Imperial Garrison
Imperial Plaza
Mercenary Base
Mushroom Planet
Royal Militia HQ
Theed Palace

These all look interesting to me. (Along with The Hardboad, Ice World Citadel, and Rhen Var of course.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 6:41:13 PM

Just a reminder of the visual guide in case anyone doesn't remember the map names:

https://swmgamers.com/SWM/Rules/FullMaplist2022.pdf
Udorian84
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 7:00:34 PM

Smuggler's Base
Commander's Office

Imperial Garrison can go. It makes for very boring skirmishes imo. You get stuck right where you get stuck and don't go anywhere else.

Ocean Facility is horrible and should be dropped from consideration.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 7:09:06 PM

#cargodocksbackonrestricted
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2022 7:37:46 PM

Concerning the number of maps . . . (I'll comment on maps later.)

I'm opposed to more than 6 maps. For many years we've played with 6 maps and each map received some play over the Regional season. Some maps were “broken” but players got plenty of opportunities to play on those maps and prepare for them. Anything over 6 maps is too much for our group to prepare for and get practice on.

When we limited the map list to 8 maps, a couple of maps got little to no play all regional season. We wouldn’t see those maps played until GenCon or some other big event when players would bring them for tactical advantage. If you think surprise-spoiler maps are “cool” you're thinking like a game competitor and not about what's good for the game.

Maps play a greater role in the competitive game and it’s more important now than ever for players to be familiar with all competitive maps when entering tournaments. An increasing number of v-set characters and squads receive significant synergistic and tactical benefits with certain maps. At times it's significant enough to determine the outcome of the game.

While I appreciate the sentiment behind, “the more the merrier,” nothing could be further than the truth. More maps mean more opportunities for abuse and more added complexity outside of squad-building and gameplay. Too many map choices degrade the integrity of standardized competitive gameplay and ruin the fun of competition. IMO
gholli69
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2022 8:53:53 PM

I think Bryan makes some good points about the number of maps being too large a list, but I disagree that 8 is too many. I think it gives us a slight increase without becoming to much to account for. I agree with the concerns most have voiced about Oceanic facility and think it can go. I do like Cantina, Rhen Var, and peaceful city as options to replace it. I personally detest Bothan spynet as I never play well on it for some reason but that is just my own opinion.
Caedus
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2022 6:04:10 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
#cargodocksbackonrestricted

Sorry Joe, but EVERY game would go to time on that map and I would probably be burnt at the stake.