RegisterDonateLogin

Sith tested, Mothma approved.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Proposition to try to Improve the overall game experience Options
Randy
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2022 7:45:51 PM
Groups: Member

Over the last year I have heard complaints about a few specific items and some issues continue despite efforts to change them done by various committees over the last 12 years. Going all the way back to the WOTC era we have been talking about Activations and the impact that they have on the time constraints of the game. At the end of WOTC the stacking of Commander Effects was a hot topic. The stacking of CEs has now turned into a more specific discussion about the stacking of damage. 60 damage in a round use to be a big deal, over time that has become less of a big deal because many characters are now doing that without aid of a commander. It is not unusual for a follower to be dishing out 90 to 160+ damage on its’ turn. Not to mention any other canon shot or additional turn mechanic your opponent may be incorporating into their build. This makes it difficult for the beloved melee characters to advance and slows down the game overall. In recent history there have been discussions about gambit and the impact that it has on the game. In response to all of this I say, let’s roll it back to 150 point squads.

In the before time, in the long, long ago, before the V-sets, Wizards had set the build total to 150. In the competitive game we played 150 for several years. 2010 was the first time that the build total was increased to 200 for the championship. The immediate response that we saw from the new design teams was Bastilla. An overpowered answer to the question of CE stacking. The ability to add an additional 50 points of buffs or additional firepower to your squad created an immediate change to the way that we built our squads. We could begin to exploit a series of combos that created increasingly bad matchups. Characters that you could field for 5-20 points could now easily be throwing out 60 damage. Bastilla overcorrected away from that and then the response was Daala. Now those 5 point characters could do 80 damage with a huge adaptable range. Let’s take out those 50 points again. This will leave less room for fluff and damage stacking. Look at the top squads from the last 10 years. Cut 50 points out of them. What do you cut? Do you give up damage dealers? Do you remove wasted activations? Do you drop a commander that gave a bonus that maybe you can live without? When building a squad from the ground up, once you have the basics of what you are wanting to accomplish you should be able to fill out the rest of the squad rather quickly. In the heat of a game, you will have less interactions to keep track of on your team and on the opposing side.

Fewer points= fewer pieces. Aside from some very extreme squad architypes most squads would end-up running 16 activations or less. I image many squads may only contain 6-8 characters. This should lead to an easier field to keep track of and manage. We currently have over 2,000 characters in the game. That is a whole lot to try to commit to any sort of memory. Some squads have a serious number of triggers to keep track of. Those usually are not fun to play or play against in a long day. In the Star Wars universe (and the one we live in) a squad is usually comprised of 4-12 individuals. I think we should try to emulate that in our squad building. Focus on a few powerful individuals or a small swarm. Even if 2 high activation squads meet, moving should take less time. Games should almost always end in under an hour. Even on Vassal. This could shave over an hour off the world championship. In live events it can mean more steak tacos 😊. I call that a win!
At 150 points, Gambit is reduced to 8. An average game sees roughly 5 rounds of gambit scored. That means that you should end up with 40 points which should cover a wide variety of characters. (Bastilla, Thrawn and Mas, Talon, Captain Pancake, Boss Nass, the Yammosk, etc.) A larger number of characters would be able to score gambit. Most of these characters are utility pieces that you would play anyway. This might make them useful enough to get in close to the action.

The change to 150 would be a change to the basic floor rules. It would not require any errata. Nothing new to learn. If the change does not improve the situation, we still have other options that we can look at. I believe that it is a simple change that would help cut down on some or all of the above issues.

Vote Yes! On proposition 150!
DarthMaim
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2022 10:11:04 PM

I vote yes on prop 150 ThumpUp

I still feel Jabba needs an additional errata ( get rid of his reinforcements ) and Bib's movement commander effect "If a Hutt Cartel ally doesn't move on its turn, a Medium or smaller Hutt Cartel ally adjacent to it can move up to its speed" needs to be removed.
Mando
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 3:34:58 AM

Interesting proposition! My vote is yes on 150. It might change up the meta even more. I agree that the damage creep has been rather insane, but also keep in mind that the damage mitigation has also increased to be just about on par. If people are doing just 20 damage, even with double twin, it means hardly anything against a Mandalorian with Beskargam or a Vong with VCA. 30 dmg seems to be the minimum to actually threaten people with built in damage reduction abilities.

I think people will still play Jabba because he is just so cost effective, but he have 50 less points to use on a really good attacker like Boba or Embo. He can still have them in the squad, but that means if they die, you have lost 1/3 or close to that amount of your squad build points.

I'm all for going back to competitive 150 to see how it plays in todays game. We can go to 200pt in the future again if we need to.
spryguy1981
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 4:30:56 AM

My vote would be for this to bear out in some organized tournaments. I think we should run several monthly vassal tournaments at 150 to see how everyone enjoys it, builds squads etc. I'm not advocating for or against the change to 150 but there needs to be some testing in the current meta too. My concern is that something else will rise to the top and just be unbeatable at 150 without it really opening up the meta.

I think maybe a long form league similar to what Tim ran last year would be effective too at gauging interest at this level of play. My assumption will be that there will be several people dead-set against a change like this, there will be several for it. I think at the end of the day testing it and seeing what people's level of enjoyment is should be the direction we take here.
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 5:10:13 AM

spryguy1981 wrote:
My concern is that something else will rise to the top and just be unbeatable at 150 without it really opening up the meta.

This will probably happen since design did not take into account 150 pts. It has been designed for 200. But I am interested in it and will participate in tournaments if that happens.
Randy
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 5:51:48 AM

DarthMaim wrote:
I vote yes on prop 150 ThumpUp

I still feel Jabba needs an additional errata ( get rid of his reinforcements ) and Bib's movement commander effect "If a Hutt Cartel ally doesn't move on its turn, a Medium or smaller Hutt Cartel ally adjacent to it can move up to its speed" needs to be removed.

Strike the reinforcements to make it the Jabba/Lobot show? Or raise his cost by 20?
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 6:33:40 AM

Interesting. I'd be willing to give 150 a shot, just to see what happens.

I still think that damage-stacking is the main problem right now. Losing 50pts from the build total will serve to limit that, but will only bypass the problem, not resolve it...the moment we hold another 200pt tournament, we'll have the same problem that we have now.

By escalating the damage-output so much, we have surrendered more of the game to chance than ever before...if you fail even one Evade or Deflect save your main piece is reduced to half health. That's far too much reliance on the dice.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 9:08:59 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Been thinking about this. I will probably think about it some more. I'm one of the more conservative members as far as changing things, but I'm willing to participate in some test events and see how it plays out. The only real objection I have is that so much work has been done with the aim of balance at 200 points, so we just cant predict what will leap out at a new point level. But that's honestly kind of exciting.

To Trevor's point, yes, the amount of damage individual characters can pump out is a bit crazy. I have personally been involved in several attempts to address this, such as damage capping (things like Diffusion Armor and Lightsaber Protection). They haven't caught on or haven't been widespread enough to really make a difference. The game really can swing on a single roll of the dice in a way it usually didn't before.

We're getting ready to start phase 2 or set 25 (phase 1 is well into PT), so ideas for design that will help this problem are certainly welcome.

As for this thread, although I tend to be reluctant to see things change, I know a lot of people had issues with how things went and the way the meta shook out at the Vassal champs, myself included, so I'm willing to at least see how things go.
Udorian84
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 9:25:02 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Been thinking about this. I will probably think about it some more. I'm one of the more conservative members as far as changing things, but I'm willing to participate in some test events and see how it plays out. The only real objection I have is that so much work has been done with the aim of balance at 200 points, so we just cant predict what will leap out at a new point level. But that's honestly kind of exciting.

To Trevor's point, yes, the amount of damage individual characters can pump out is a bit crazy. I have personally been involved in several attempts to address this, such as damage capping (things like Diffusion Armor and Lightsaber Protection). They haven't caught on or haven't been widespread enough to really make a difference. The game really can swing on a single roll of the dice in a way it usually didn't before.

We're getting ready to start phase 2 or set 25 (phase 1 is well into PT), so ideas for design that will help this problem are certainly welcome.

As for this thread, although I tend to be reluctant to see things change, I know a lot of people had issues with how things went and the way the meta shook out at the Vassal champs, myself included, so I'm willing to at least see how things go.

I have thought some more and do not really think it is a great fix unless we already have a ton of information on the meta. Right now we kind of know where the power lies in 200 and can adjust accordingly. I am not saying dont do it. I just think that major adjustments are warranted either way if you want what I have heard called 'balanced factions" (indoctrination from TN). As for design ideas and things that might help. I think the lightsaber protection is a great idea, but force points are too valuable. Make it a Special Ability. Jedi Sense: This character only takes the base damage from nonmelee enemies.
Naarkon
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 10:24:27 AM

This is a really interesting topic. Before any change is made I think I would like to see the results from at least a couple tourneys run at 150 at a competitive level equal to something like Gencon or Vassalcon. Like some other people have said, my key worry would be that with the amount of balance decisions and point values created taking 200 into mind, we might not actually improve anything and just end up with similar or even worse issues.

For one specific issue that comes to mind as a fan of Sith, a lot of Sith pieces seem to be costed and given force points/renewal with ghosts/holocron/nexus/holosid taken into account, and aren't really that good without that support, which is hard to fit into 150 points. Would decreasing down to 150 invalidate a lot of existing pieces in other factions as well that are designed to only be able to fit into 200? On the other hand, if Sith pieces suddenly have less incoming damage to deal with, do a portion of them suddenly become incredibly powerful because they were designed to stop the absolutely insane amount of damage available currently?

That all being said, I think Randy's original points make 150 points something at least worth investigating, specifically the fact that it would inherently help to speed games up a bit and cut down on activation spam.

Editing to add: Please for the love of God IF a majority or the balance committee or whatever determines that the current damage output or activation count or point value is something that needs to be looked at, fix it with rules changes and not just designing a handful of pieces with a niche mechanic to help counter it. If we reach a point where to be competitive you must run a specific new piece to hard counter the possibility that your opponent plays another entirely different hard counter, all we've achieved is set rotation with extra steps and should just reset.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 12:55:12 PM

Actually, we've just had a 150pt event at VassalCon. It was filled with melee-heavy squads. In fact, the winning squad was UrbanShmi's 5-act squad with Cin Drallig, Serra Keto, General Skywalker, R2, and Sev. Serra (who has Acrobatic) was hitting for 40dmg hits via Anakin's CE, and all three of the main attackers had Parry/Makashi. At least in a melee-heavy 150pt meta, I wouldn't be surprised if this squad is one of the top ones. The question will be whether or not people can come up with a good counter to it, that can also handle the other things that will get played at 150.

I've often enjoyed 150 and done well at 150 in recent years because tanks do so well at that point level. There is not enough space in the squad to fit all of the insane damage output or tank-busting tech that shows up in 200. I think that the Sith do have a lot to work with at 150. The Nexus makes it painful for enemy characters to engage your Sith dudes, and it also gives FP to fuel rerolls for failed saves, and even gives bonus movement when needed. Also, the new Tulak Hord is excellent and will likely find a few good builds at 150.

Naarkon wrote:
Editing to add: Please for the love of God IF a majority or the balance committee or whatever determines that the current damage output or activation count or point value is something that needs to be looked at, fix it with rules changes and not just designing a handful of pieces with a niche mechanic to help counter it. If we reach a point where to be competitive you must run a specific new piece to hard counter the possibility that your opponent plays another entirely different hard counter, all we've achieved is set rotation with extra steps and should just reset.
+100%! I've said this for years; if something truly is broken or bad for the game, then I think the answer is to fix it directly, rather than by creating a tax piece (that is, if you want to compete then you need to pay the points to bring X piece, which counters the current overpowered tactic).
Darth_Jim
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 2:32:40 PM

The best part of Randy's proposal is that it would be easy to test. Schedule some 150pt friendly tournaments without changing anything else. Is Jabba still as dominating? Can Thrawn get the punch it needs while maintaining an activation advantage? I would be for it, since I am losing interest in the game as it is, with non-uniques able to crush core characters in Star Wars in too many builds.

This is a little off topic... but why do the factions have to be balanced? Is Vong really as strong as the best Sith ever to live in Star Wars lore? Why couldn't we treat some factions like sub factions or fringe and allow certain major factions access to certain minor factions? Just a thought.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 3:05:00 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Darth_Jim wrote:

This is a little off topic... but why do the factions have to be balanced? Is Vong really as strong as the best Sith ever to live in Star Wars lore? Why couldn't we treat some factions like sub factions or fringe and allow certain major factions access to certain minor factions? Just a thought.

I think the idea is that people should be able to play what they want (within reason) and still have a chance to be competitive. Some people really like Vong, so the thought is that those people should be able to play Vong without having to sacrifice their competitiveness. And truly, the game flourishes when a lot of different squad types are able to compete.

Personally, I'm just in it for the games. I don't care so much about the names of the figures, as long as they do what they're supposed to. I know the flavor is way more important to other people, I just want to be able to come up with something I think is cool and have it not get utterly crushed by everything.

I would be very interested to see how things "balance out" in the 150-point meta.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 3:32:33 PM

One of the things about 150 is that you have to be much more specific about what you want your squad to be able to do. It seems that you’ll almost inevitably have one weakness or another.

As an example, Gandalf’s championship squad had both Parry and Evade…in certain matchups different pieces would be able to play greater and lesser roles. In fact, that’s one mark of effective squad building: your squad doesn’t have too many bad weaknesses. But at 150 the room just isn’t there; something has to give.

I’ll be interested to see how things shake out.
jen'ari
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 5:21:21 PM

@darthjim

I fully agree that some factions don't have to be as powerful.
However, each faction does have pieces test should be payable in competitive realm.
Not having a playable Luke is the largest silliness ever.
Not having a playable Han is too.

Rebels or New Republic.e

Not having a playable Bane, laughable.
Not having a playable Yoda or Mace
Not having a playable Dooku

Etc etc

The game is best when the best people are playable. It just happens that the best people cover most of the factions.
So balancing the factions should bring out all of those characters in a competitive way (would be my vision)

How fun would it be to have a great Luke Skywalker vs Darth Bane match up?
Or Nomi Sunrises and the Jedi's of the time vs. The Rebel Heroes? Then it would be fun.
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 5:49:46 PM

Darth_Jim wrote:
The best part of Randy's proposal is that it would be easy to test. Schedule some 150pt friendly tournaments without changing anything else. Is Jabba still as dominating? Can Thrawn get the punch it needs while maintaining an activation advantage? I would be for it, since I am losing interest in the game as it is, with non-uniques able to crush core characters in Star Wars in too many builds.

1.) Wasn't Black and Blue forged in the fires of 150? I remember many people saying Thrawn gets worse in 200, or maybe it was just BnB.

2.) Very interesting proposal. Sort of like how the newer editions of 40K allow for allying two factions (except poor Tyranids. Now that I think about it Vong would be Star Wars Tyranids.)
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 8:10:29 PM

I'm hesitant about going back to 150 due to all the years of design work for 200.
However, since we can't get anyone to agree to an activation cap @200 . . . 150 constructed is worth consideration.

Remember the reason we were given for going to 200 constructed?
It was to fit "that" additional attacker or commander players were complaining about running out of points for @150.
Yeah, but that's NOT what those 50 points ended up being spent on . . . they were spammed for 2-point mouse droids.

One idea I had was . . .
You build up to 150pts and then add 1 additional character so long as your build total remains 200pts or under.

So you're forced to spend that 50 points (or more) on a single attacker or commander and not on extra activations.

thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2022 8:48:19 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
I'm hesitant about going back to 150 due to all the years of design work for 200.
However, since we can't get anyone to agree to an activation cap @200 . . . 150 constructed is worth consideration.
FWIW, I'd be all in favor of an activation cap at 200pts.

DarkDracul wrote:
One idea I had was . . .
You build up to 150pts and then add 1 additional character so long as your build total remains 200pts or under.

So you're forced to spend that 50 points (or more) on a single attacker or commander and not on extra activations.

How exactly would that work, though? What's to stop someone from building a 200pt squad for Boba Fett AfH, then removing Boba (bringing it to 150) and then adding Boba again to get the same 200pt squad that they had originally designed? I'm not sure that changes anything.
gholli69
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 2:57:01 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
DarkDracul wrote:
FWIW, I'd be all in favor of an activation cap at 200pts.

DarkDracul wrote:
One idea I had was . . .

How exactly would that work, though? What's to stop someone from building a 200pt squad for Boba Fett AfH, then removing Boba (bringing it to 150) and then adding Boba again to get the same 200pt squad that they had originally designed? I'm not sure that changes anything.

Yeah, the only way I see making Bryans idea of a flex character work would be to not announce the build total until after squads have been turned in for the event. So you would build for 150 and then choose a couple of "flex" options kind of like reinforcements and then once the tournament build total is announced you have to either play your 150 point squad if that is what was announce or you run the same 150 but get to choose 1 of your flex options. Seems like a convoluted way of doing it, but feasible and could be fun.
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2022 4:34:23 AM

DarkDracul wrote:

Remember the reason we were given for going to 200 constructed?
It was to fit "that" additional attacker or commander players were complaining about running out of points for @150.
Yeah, but that's NOT what those 50 points ended up being spent on . . . they were spammed for 2-point mouse droids.

One idea I had was . . .

I am and have always been a big proponent of an activation cap and I really think we need to consider this and have a full merit discussion regarding it. Should we make an entire discussion thread or just continue it here.