RegisterDonateLogin

Caution: May bring balance to the Force.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Jarkai and Throw Options
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 6:39:05 AM
Groups: Member

I emailed 3 people a few days ago to make sure I got an answer, so I played it right, about this interaction and got different answers so I thought I would try and get a 100% full answer before my game tonight. If we can't settle on something then I will go with the TO answer.

If I lightsaber Throw against a nonadjacent enemy with Tulak it is considered a nonmelee attack. Then Jar'kai kicks in and it allows for another attack.

Is that second attack a nonmelee attack or is it melee or since I am not adjacent and do I not get a second attack?

The things I have heard are that:

1) if you are not adjacent you would not get a second attack. If you are adjacent the 2nd attack is considered melee

2) you treat it like Twin Attack so the 2nd attack would be a Nonmelee attack. (if this is true does that mean with Jar'Kai you cannot target a different opponent if you are adjacent to 2 opponents?)

3) The 2nd attack can target the target or anyone adjacent to the target.
urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 2:06:02 PM

Here is how the situation would work.

1.You LS Throw against a non-adjacent enemy. You hit and trigger Jakai. There are no enemies adjacent so the Jakai is lost.

2.If you LS Throw against an adjacent enemy (to say avoid parry or something). You hit and trigger jakai. You could then make a melee attack against any adjacent enemy (the one you originally hit or another adjacent one).

This ruling would be from the precedent of flurry attack on a melee character using blaster.

swinefeld wrote:
Anyway, correct.

Quote:
A. You do not get the benefits of LS Throw on the extra attack.

Jakai is not like twin attack. Jakai is like flurry attack (only with a slightly different trigger (ie hitting instead of critting)). You can select a new target for the Jakai attack if you choose.

urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 2:08:21 PM

Now you can add on crazy permutations where if the character with jakai had twin attack somehow as well.

It would go
Regular attack.
Hit.
Jakai trigger.
Jakai attack (same or different enemy)
Jakai twin (same enemy as the jakai attack).
Regular attack twin (on the original target).

Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 2:10:26 PM

Ok. Thank you! That is perfectly in line with the TO and makes the most sense thematically imo.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 4:03:36 PM

No, it's just like Twin Attack. It was directly worded after Twin Attack.

It says nothing about needing to be adjacent.
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 4:09:56 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
No, it's just like Twin Attack. It was directly worded after Twin Attack.

It says nothing about needing to be adjacent.

Confused Blink Confused

How do we get a final say, official ruling? Is there like a Supreme Court we can send this to? I am the peon trying to do the right thing (woe is me) and being pulled in different directions. I play in an hour and will go with the TO's ruling unless someone says "this is the absolute ruling no doubt about it" and it is official.

Thanks for all your attention to the issue as it is an odd interaction with a new ability (jar'kai). It is good to all be on the same page with it.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 4:12:53 PM

Listen to the T.O.

The guy who designed the character doesn't matter.
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 4:25:20 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
Listen to the T.O.

The guy who designed the character doesn't matter.

Sorry. I just want to be respectful and I do not know how things work as far as rules go and who has the correct answer.
I don't know the Culture of what it means to be a designer and what authority that gives and all that stuff. I am truly ignorant in that regard. I also don't want to disrespect the TO who I asked the question to and received an answer first from. We just had an issue come up with Presence of the Dark Side where it was stated that the designer intended it one way but there was no clear answer.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 5:06:45 PM

In a tournament you must follow the ruling given to you by the T.O. (even if it's incorrect)

I'm sure Jason is correct about the ruling. . . it's just extremely upsetting to only be hearing it now.

Tulak Hord was designed and playtested being able to Jar'kai a second attack on a lightsaber throw.

Normally, I'd let something like this go as an unfortunate situation, but this was my championship piece.

Considering our Rules and Quality Control people completely abandoned us during design.

I expect they will write a glossary entry that allows Tulak to work as design intended.

That's the right thing to do.

Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 5:20:36 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
In a tournament you must follow the ruling given to you by the T.O. (even if it's incorrect)

I'm sure Jason is correct about the ruling. . . it's just extremely upsetting to only be hearing it now.

Tulak Hord was designed and playtested being able to Jar'kai a second attack on a lightsaber throw.

Normally, I'd let something like this go as an unfortunate situation, but this was my championship piece.

Considering our Rules and Quality Control people completely abandoned us during design.

I expect they will write a glossary entry that allows Tulak to work as design intended.

That's the right thing to do.

I do hope it is "fixed" how you wanted it. I helped play test and have an "attachment" to it as well and love the piece!
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 5:27:11 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The rules committee is urbanjedi, swinefeld, UrbanShmi, FlyingArrow, and me. When a rules issue comes up that hasn't been decided before, we discuss it in our Facebook group and post a ruling if we can agree on something.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 5:35:28 PM

Yeah, it's up to the rules committee.
Udorian84
Posted: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 7:00:51 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
The rules committee is urbanjedi, swinefeld, UrbanShmi, FlyingArrow, and me. When a rules issue comes up that hasn't been decided before, we discuss it in our Facebook group and post a ruling if we can agree on something.

Awesome thanks. You know sometime I am going to make a spreadsheet on who to contact for different things.