RegisterDonateLogin

Has become self-aware--don't tell Shinja.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : What activation cap do you like?
Choice Votes Statistics
16 +reinforcements & reserves 1 4.166666 %
Hard 16 7 29.166666 %
14 +reinforcements & reserves 1 4.166666 %
Hard 14 3 12.500000 %
12 +reinforcements & reserves 0 0.000000 %
Hard 12 1 4.166666 %
None 11 45.833333 %

Activation Cap Poll Options
DarkDracul
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2022 3:08:42 PM
Groups: Member

There was some discussion of an activation cap several months ago.
http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=32024

The purpose of this poll is to get a sense of what kind of activation cap people find acceptable.

thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2022 10:45:37 AM

I chose Hard 16, but I'd be happy with Hard 14 too.

The more I think about it, I think 12 would be too low.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2022 10:59:58 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I voted none, because I'd prefer moving to 150pts as a solution.
gholli69
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2022 11:30:04 AM

I voted 14 + reinforcements/ reserves. I think there needs to be a + option for reinforcements/reserves because of the situation where a player w/ reserves is already at cap limit and then rolls reserves. Not really fair to that player to say sorry you don't get reserves because you are at cap limit. If we wanted to put a limit on number of activations that can be brought in through those abilities I could get behind that as I don't think spamming activations with those abilities is good for the game. I would propose a 3 activation limit for reinforcements/reserves abilities as that still allows the porg a place as well since it triggers on having 3 less activations than your opponent.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2022 1:06:38 PM

gholli69 wrote:
I voted 14 + reinforcements/ reserves. I think there needs to be a + option for reinforcements/reserves because of the situation where a player w/ reserves is already at cap limit and then rolls reserves. Not really fair to that player to say sorry you don't get reserves because you are at cap limit. If we wanted to put a limit on number of activations that can be brought in through those abilities I could get behind that as I don't think spamming activations with those abilities is good for the game. I would propose a 3 activation limit for reinforcements/reserves abilities as that still allows the porg a place as well since it triggers on having 3 less activations than your opponent.
I totally hear you on Reserves. What if the Hard caps only applied to Reinforcements, and Reserves could be unlimited (or perhaps limited less)? The key difference is that you can't bank on getting Reserves, while you can easily guarantee +7 activations with Lobot.
Caedus
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2022 1:43:58 PM

I voted none because I think the real solution lies with a cap on Activations Only, a cap on your Reinforcement list (with a predetermined cost value list, 75pts) and capping the number of times Reserves can trigger (Once,Twice, whatever is perfectly fine)
Caedus
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2022 1:48:12 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
gholli69 wrote:
I totally hear you on Reserves. What if the Hard caps only applied to Reinforcements, and Reserves could be unlimited (or perhaps limited less)? The key difference is that you can't bank on getting Reserves, while you can easily guarantee +7 activations with Lobot.

I would agree for Reserves and Reinforcements but I think Reinforcements need changed. You should be required to make a predetermined list of a determined cost value. Picking from any character in the game on the fly before each match is insane. WotC has a sideboard for MtG for that very reason. We should have it too.
Cassus fett
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2022 2:46:10 PM

I went for hard 14, but I was assuming it meant "hard 14 (including reinforcements)". I think it's a good number and would encourage use of higher cost pieces so as to not waste points. But, I'm a dirty swarm player so part of my soul screams no cap. I think Gandalf is likely right and moving to 150 for competitive is worth a try.
Randy
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2022 7:28:47 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
I voted none, because I'd prefer moving to 150pts as a solution.

Same
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 5:24:55 AM

I voted for 12 because I prefer lower than others. That being said an activation cap is definitely the way to go whether its 12 or 16. I disagree with switching to 150 for championship formats especially without any testing. I think 200 w/cap is by far the best choice imo.
TheHutts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 11:40:04 AM

I voted 16 with Reserves and Reinforcements, although my preferred option would be 16 with Reinforcements.

Reserves should be allowed to carry on as they are. I don't like Reserves on already competitive pieces like Daala (who's since been nerfed) and Ozzel (who doesn't get much play any more), but you should be able to play a reserves piece like Vader Agent of Evil or Kazdan Paratus without being penalised.
Zuty
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 12:16:16 PM

I voted for none. It should be a gentleman's agreement not to have an exorbitant amount of activations. Setting an official cap just seems silly. I don't think janky builds that go over 16 activations to do something silly and/or interesting should be penalized. I haven't played during the V-Set era, so maybe there's some competitive team where you have 97 activations and your whole goal is to draw the game out and win because of gambit. To which I say shame; shame on you for being against fun.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2022 2:04:36 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Zuty wrote:
I voted for none. It should be a gentleman's agreement not to have an exorbitant amount of activations. Setting an official cap just seems silly. I don't think janky builds that go over 16 activations to do something silly and/or interesting should be penalized. I haven't played during the V-Set era, so maybe there's some competitive team where you have 97 activations and your whole goal is to draw the game out and win because of gambit. To which I say shame; shame on you for being against fun.

This is about the floor rules we use for competitive play at tournaments. Whatever we decide certainly isn't meant to apply to casual games, but in for example a world championship where everyone is trying their best to win, a gentleman's agreement to not have a lot of activations doesn't make a lot of sense. The point is to play the best possible squads, and the thought process behind an activation cap is to keep certain high-activation squads in check, since they are not as fun to play and make games drag on for longer.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2022 11:30:58 AM

Frankly I think there are some factors people are not thinking through fully.

I've played in tournaments with activation limits. It greatly restricts the meta, and makes for less dynamic games. Everyone in the tournament agreed that it actually made everything more homogenous and boring. When activations are equal, games swing more on rolls. Especially initiative. Thus Thrawn becomes even more powerful. Squads that have a very powerful character will be ideal, because they know the act limit, and can use that character to finish without worry of them being destroyed by several other characters all combining to finish them off at the end. Having the activation limit and Thrawn (or a Muun Tactics broker, etc) just means you can virtually guarantee you go first and last, so even within activation limits, surprisingly, "out-act and smash" squads actually do quite well, because unlike without limits, you KNOW you won't be out-activated.

I think many people are basing their opinion on what they like to play, not what would be better for a diverse meta. It will inevitably narrow the meta when activation restrictions are put in. Currently, there are a variety of activation counts that can compete. Well built lower activation squads innately have elements that can still help them compete, while higher activation squads innately lose power in exchange for more pieces. If we arbitrarily restrict the meta, most squads will gravitate toward that restriction, thus narrowing what can compete. More squads will end up being similar.

Within the conversation of activation restrictions, not having a hard limit is downright ridiculous. That only makes reserves and reinforcements more powerful. It makes it so you almost HAVE to include it. Who wants that. I have quite enjoyed not using Lobot for awhile, I don't want to be funneled back to it. Even with a hard limit, it makes reserves innately more powerful, because after you lose characters, you have the ability to get back up to the limit. And Reinforcements also have a big advantage with a character limit, because you know you can always hit it exactly if needed, and take stronger pieces if not. Without a limit, there is never that guarantee. You could still be short with reinforcements, or have no need for them and thus wasted points in your squad. Activation limits increase the power of reinforcements. Broken Jabba will get even stronger with an activation cap. The fact that he has a damage boost, movement breaker, reinforcements, and a double cannon is just insane. It all gets stronger when condensed into an activation cap.

In general, I'm not sure why there is the thought that activation restrictions will be a magic solution. Not even sure why there is a perceived problem. My own championship squads in the past several years have been 13 acts (no rein/res), 10 acts (w/Lobot) and 16 acts (no rein/res), so they all fall somewhere in the ranges of the poll. I'm not wanting to play 25 activations plus Lobot like I did in 2013. Guess what - I tried something similar in 2021 to see if it can still compete, and I got soundly beat. The game has progressed immensely, but I feel like so many people still think it is stuck at that time. It is not. We have seen winning squads with 6 and 8 characters. The problem doesn't seem to be what can compete, it seems to be more what people individually like. Placing restrictions will make some people happy for a little while, but the game as a whole will suffer.

Unless we want to see the return of Thrawn and Lobot (and proliferation of broken Jabba) everywhere, I think we need to just keep the game as it is. As it has been functioning very well and there actually isn't a problem with activation limits.

The real problem is with horribly designed broken pieces such as Daala and Jabba Desilijic Tiure. It took us years of trying to deal with Daala and failing, losing masses of players along the way. Jabba is nearly as bad, and really need to be taken care of. Single poorly designed broken figures is much more detrimental to the meta than varying number of activations.
Cassus fett
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2022 12:02:46 PM

A lower activation count might also bring a resurgence of pieces like V-set Darth Plagieus and Jango Fett Mandalore. Pieces that were designed to work at maximum capacity in a low act squad.
DarkDracul
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2022 1:22:59 AM

I think people are overlooking a big reason for an activation limit.
This year’s championship game both players were running close to 20 activations.
The first 2 rounds took over 40 minutes and they only played 4 rounds.
That is not the kind of game any of us wants to play or should have to.
The idea that 17+ acts can reasonably be played in an hour has been proven wrong repeatedly.

An activation cap may help with other issues, but it's not going to fix everything. There will always be top squads. Players will always break the game. Designers will still screw up and make broken pieces. Those are separate issues that will need to be addressed individually.

A 10 to 12 activation limit would definitely impact the meta which is why I don’t support it. However, most players these past years have been running no more than 12 to 14 activations. So a 14 to 16 activation limit has little to no impact on the 200 point meta we enjoy. It just restricts the extreme time-sucking squads.

Chess and about every other cool strategy game I have ever played has some set limit on activations.
Therefore, I have never agreed with the old arguments against activation limits in SWM.
IMO unlimited activations in Star Wars Miniatures was more of an accident than anything.
SWM was origionally designed to be a casual game not requiring more restriction than a 100 point build total.
We made the game into something much much more.

The new Star Wars Shatterpoint miniatures game will have activation limits of 10 characters per player. https://www.atomicmassgames.com/shatterpoint
It looks like a fun game to play.
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2022 7:38:59 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
I think people are overlooking a big reason for an activation limit.
This year’s championship game both players were running close to 20 activations.
The first 2 rounds took over 40 minutes and they only played 4 rounds.
That is not the kind of game any of us wants to play or should have to.
The idea that 17+ acts can reasonably be played in an hour has been proven wrong repeatedly.

An activation cap may help with other issues, but it's not going to fix everything. There will always be top squads. Players will always break the game. Designers will still screw up and make broken pieces. Those are separate issues that will need to be addressed individually.

A 10 to 12 activation limit would definitely impact the meta which is why I don’t support it. However, most players these past years have been running no more than 12 to 14 activations. So a 14 to 16 activation limit has little to no impact on the 200 point meta we enjoy. It just restricts the extreme time-sucking squads.

Chess and about every other cool strategy game I have ever played has some set limit on activations.
Therefore, I have never agreed with the old arguments against activation limits in SWM.
IMO unlimited activations in Star Wars Miniatures was more of an accident than anything.
SWM was origionally designed to be a casual game not requiring more restriction than a 100 point build total.
We made the game into something much much more.

The new Star Wars Shatterpoint miniatures game will have activation limits of 10 characters per player. https://www.atomicmassgames.com/shatterpoint
It looks like a fun game to play.
This is a very good point, Bryan. I guess it hasn't registered with me since I can recall very few of my own games going to time over the past several years...but that's to be expected, since I haven't been running high activations either.

Further to your point, while I haven't played a ton of matches with Gandalf (I've never found him to be particularly slow), I do know that Jason is one of the fastest players in the game. So if these guys cannot finish more than 4 rounds with high-activation squads (and they both knew their squads very well after many many games), then that's something worth looking into.

[I'll start another thread about the SW Shatterpoint game....]