RegisterDonateLogin

Will find you, crush you, grind you into little pieces, then blast you into oblivion.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

SW Shatterpoint minis game...thoughts? Options
thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2022 9:13:57 AM
Groups: Member

Atomic Mass Games (makers of Marvel: Crisis Protocol and now SW Legion, etc) has announced that they'll be releasing a new Star Wars miniatures game: Star Wars Shatterpoint.

Whereas all of FFG's SW releases have focused on the Galactic Civil War era (X-Wing, Imperial Assault, Armada, Legion), SW Shatterpoint will focus on the Clone Wars era. The teaser video on their website features Darth Maul, Ahsoka, Rex, Anakin, Cody, Obiwan, Grievous, Dooku, etc, with no Vader or Luke or Stormtroopers in sight.

From everything I've seen so far, this looks like Star Wars: Crisis Protocol...yep, just a re-skin of MCP with a Star Wars flavor. (Both games are made at the 40mm scale...for comparison, Legion is 32mm, and SWM is 25mm.) MCP had caught my eye earlier this year, so I can give a quick summary here which might help to foster a discussion about SW Shatterpoint.

In MCP you bring a team of 10 unique characters and usually draft 4-6 of them using a point-buy system in response to your opponent's squad and also the mission scenario and objective cards that are selected. I think this is a really cool mechanic. Different mission scenarios have different squad points, usually ranging from 17-22. Therefore, a big part of the strategy in building your team is being ready with viable options for the various scenario points totals and also for the different objectives that you'll be playing for (ie, control an area, retrieve-and-return, etc)...all of this in addition to the combat considerations that we're familiar with in SWM. In these ways MCP seems to have a really solid foundation.

Additionally, each character is designed with multiple unique powers and traits and abilities, not unlike SWM characters. So Hulk is a big (and expensive!) bruiser who just won't die, while Black Widow is a nimble (and inexpensive) character that is superb at retrieving mission objectives but won't last long in combat without some help. Again, after some initial exploration it seems like this is also a very strong element of the game.

Things I personally don't like about MCP after watching some gameplay videos:
--Piles of dice tend to be quite swingy. I initially enjoyed X-Wing but eventually stopped playing precisely because of the dice...they were far too swingy for my tastes (only 4 successes on a d8 attack die if you don't spend Focus). Then, after playing SW Imperial Assault for a while, I returned to SWM at least in part because I prefer the simplicity and reliability of a d20. But MCP (and presumably SW Shatterpoint too) uses piles of dice. It seems that you're often rolling 4-6 dice (or more) for attacks and 2-3 for defense...the difference between sums is how much damage is done.
--Painting. Ugh! I've painted approx half of my Imperial Assault collection, and it's just too much work. While the end result is nice, painting is really not enjoyable for me. And honestly, the paint jobs in my SWM collection are just fine for me...I'm more interested in a game than an art collection!
--Movement rulers/templates. The puzzle of maneuver templates in X-Wing was pretty cool, but in Legion and MCP it just looks tedious. Movement and terrain considerations are some of the biggest factors that have kept me out of Legion and MCP...there's just not enough terrain in these games to affect gameplay. I prefer BY FAR the grid movement system we have in SWM, where walls and pits and doors are a key part of the strategy.

Here's the thing: while I've tried Legion (my first game was so boring that I never even finished it), I haven't actually played MCP. While Legion is mostly squad-based (Vader commanding 3-4 squads of Stormtroopers), it looks like SW Shatterpoint will be more like MCP, with multiple heroes contesting certain objectives in a certain scenario. There are only a few generic Clones or Battle Droids in the SW Shatterpoint video.

All of that is background for what I want to say here: Many of us will be able to play SW Shatterpoint (almost) for free. Anyone with a complete SWM collection already has ALL of the characters that we could expect to see in that game for several years.
...And they're pre-painted.
...And you don't have to worry about those minis breaking or chipping during travel.
...And since we already own them, they're FREE! All we'll need to do is buy the core set for the dice and other gameplay components, and then print off the various character cards, and voila! A new game.

Of course, if we wanted to get into the SW Shatterpoint tournament scene then we'd need to pour in the (piles of) money for the official products...but that's to be expected.

So what are your thoughts? Are you interested in seeing if SW Shatterpoint is an enjoyable game? I'm intrigued and I may give it a shot.
Cassus fett
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2022 11:07:45 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
Atomic Mass Games (makers of Marvel: Crisis Protocol and now SW Legion, etc) has announced that they'll be releasing a new Star Wars miniatures game: Star Wars Shatterpoint.

Whereas all of FFG's SW releases have focused on the Galactic Civil War era (X-Wing, Imperial Assault, Armada, Legion), SW Shatterpoint will focus on the Clone Wars era. The teaser video on their website features Darth Maul, Ahsoka, Rex, Anakin, Cody, Obiwan, Grievous, Dooku, etc, with no Vader or Luke or Stormtroopers in sight.

From everything I've seen so far, this looks like Star Wars: Crisis Protocol...yep, just a re-skin of MCP with a Star Wars flavor. - Positive far as I'm concerned.

Additionally, each character is designed with multiple unique powers and traits and abilities, not unlike SWM characters. So Hulk is a big (and expensive!) bruiser who just won't die, while Black Widow is a nimble (and inexpensive) character that is superb at retrieving mission objectives but won't last long in combat without some help. - Hopefully this translates better than Legion's attempt (last I heard Anakin is a wimpy bum).

Things I personally don't like about MCP after watching some gameplay videos:
--Piles of dice tend to be quite swingy. - Yes they are.
--Painting. Ugh! - Agreed, I just don't have the time.
Movement and terrain considerations are some of the biggest factors that have kept me out of Legion and MCP...there's just not enough terrain in these games to affect gameplay. - Disagree, I think Terrain is super cool, especially if you go all out and make really cool stuff.

So what are your thoughts? Are you interested in seeing if SW Shatterpoint is an enjoyable game? I'm intrigued and I may give it a shot.

I'm very familiar with MCP, despite not playing it and everything shown points to it being the same framework (reskin). By all accounts MCP is well designed. One thing people who play SWM and are considering this should be aware of is that MCP is NOT a "kill em' all game". You MUST play whatever the scenario objectives are or you lose, straight up. For all my fellow Call of Duty players, it's Domination, not Team Deathmatch.
I'm intrigued and cautiously optimistic. It doesn't release until June 2023, so we've got lots of time with a load of marketing coming up. Pre-orders open January I strongly advise waiting until we've seen much more and gotten more details.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2022 11:23:59 AM

I was excited when I first heard about it.

Are we sure they come unpainted? That is a big minus for me.

I also HATE non-grid systems. too cumbersome, fidgety, and loose subjective interpretations. Another big minus.

thereisnotry
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2022 12:15:22 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

I also HATE non-grid systems. too cumbersome, fidgety, and loose subjective interpretations. Another big minus.

Yes, it is 100% certain that the figures are unpainted; this has been confirmed by the developers. Unfortunate, for sure! If they did come pre-painted then I'd definitely consider the game...but I don't want to paint, and I'm also not inspired by a bunch of gray plastic figures on the table...especially when those figures cost $25-30+ each.

Further on the non-grid (or even non-hex) systems:
--How many times have we found that we're exactly ONE square away from where we need to be for an attack or a key move in SWM? Crying
--Conversely, how many times have we found that we can set things up so that we have precisely the movement that we need to make something work? ThumbsUp
In the measuring-tape or movement-ruler games it is FAR too easy to fudge that or in other ways have questionable situations. I'm not saying that people in our community would stoop to that level, but I've heard of it happening in some of those games. I prefer the clear precision that is available on a grid.

The downside of a grid-less game is that a printed map tends to be far less eye-catching than the 3D hobbyist playing surfaces. Who wouldn't want to play on a table that looks like a movie prop? ThumpUp But I guess that drills down to what draws people to these different games:
--Some people really like the hobbyist angle of things, and they often come up with some truly inspiring and evocative terrain setups.
--Other people (I include myself here) would prefer a smooth and tactically-loaded movement system over aesthetics.

At least in my observation, it seems like this distinction is often at the heart of what pushes players toward one game or the other. Some people have played SWM for years, wishing that there was a good 3D terrain version of it (and often creating their own homebrew version of that)...those players have now jumped head-first into Legion and will likely also be enthused by SW Shatterpoint. More power to them, and I'm glad they've finally got the games they've been yearning for! But for me, SWM is still the #1 SW skirmish game ever made.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2022 9:08:17 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Yes, it is 100% certain that the figures are unpainted; this has been confirmed by the developers. Unfortunate, for sure! If they did come pre-painted then I'd definitely consider the game...but I don't want to paint, and I'm also not inspired by a bunch of gray plastic figures on the table...especially when those figures cost $25-30+ each.

Further on the non-grid (or even non-hex) systems:
--How many times have we found that we're exactly ONE square away from where we need to be for an attack or a key move in SWM? Crying
--Conversely, how many times have we found that we can set things up so that we have precisely the movement that we need to make something work? ThumbsUp
In the measuring-tape or movement-ruler games it is FAR too easy to fudge that or in other ways have questionable situations. I'm not saying that people in our community would stoop to that level, but I've heard of it happening in some of those games. I prefer the clear precision that is available on a grid.

The downside of a grid-less game is that a printed map tends to be far less eye-catching than the 3D hobbyist playing surfaces. Who wouldn't want to play on a table that looks like a movie prop? ThumpUp But I guess that drills down to what draws people to these different games:
--Some people really like the hobbyist angle of things, and they often come up with some truly inspiring and evocative terrain setups.
--Other people (I include myself here) would prefer a smooth and tactically-loaded movement system over aesthetics.

At least in my observation, it seems like this distinction is often at the heart of what pushes players toward one game or the other. Some people have played SWM for years, wishing that there was a good 3D terrain version of it (and often creating their own homebrew version of that)...those players have now jumped head-first into Legion and will likely also be enthused by SW Shatterpoint. More power to them, and I'm glad they've finally got the games they've been yearning for! But for me, SWM is still the #1 SW skirmish game ever made.

+1 to literally everything you said here.

Even outside of intentional cheating, there's just too much subjectivity. The tiniest of little accidental bumps to a piece could make a huge swing in results.

It would be fine as a very casual play for fun once in awhile thing - but to put even close to as much time, money and focus as we've put into SWM - not a chance.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2022 9:10:06 PM

Not to say I won't still get a little excited looking at the sweet sculpts, and seeing other people with fully painted and decked out setups going at it. It's still a Star Wars miniatures game.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2022 8:49:10 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Terrain wise... I already have trouble finding space for all the minis. Storing terrain would be a nightmare. And while terrain can look good, it's a lot of work and doesn't cover basically every conceivable Star Wars location the way the maps do.
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2022 9:10:39 AM

Very true. I could see myself putting some time and effort into fancy terrain IF...I was crazy rich and had a big gaming room where I could store and use all that stuff, and could therefore also afford to make it look amazing.
Naarkon
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2022 10:02:49 AM

For what it's worth, as someone who buys Crisis Protocol minis just to paint them and hasn't even played the game (did own the core set but just painted it and then sold it), if these are the same level of quality they'll be pretty nice. Crisis Protocol minis come on a little sprue and some have some minor customization options like different heads or clutter to add to the bases. I really enjoy the level of detail they have. It's not overly complicated like Warhammer character models but having the pieces sculpted separately is nice.

Obviously, this is only helpful for those of us who enjoy the modelling aspect and is pure negative for anyone who doesn't want to paint. As someone who got into SWM as an excuse to paint more star wars models, I can see myself picking up a few characters on sale as a ceneterpiece even if the game system doesn't appeal to me.
DarkDracul
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2022 10:03:10 PM

I'm interested in trying it out but from everything I've seen, it's not replacing SWM.

Sculpts may be a little larger than the minis we use but I've seen worse proxies.