RegisterDonateLogin

Surrounds us. Penetrates us. Binds the galaxy together.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Galactic Escalation Tournament Squads, Pairings, and Results Thread (Round 4) Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, January 13, 2023 2:50:43 PM
Groups: Member

TimmerB123 over Gandalfthegreatestwizard 375-44

The game was a bad matchup made worse by me winning map, and stealing furious assault. Brought in Advanced Agent Officer and a high-Bred Warrior. First round positioning, second round pop a worker for Yun-Harla, and more positioning. He sees a line he can get all the way around top on my Yammosk and commits most of his squad that way. Third round I come in hard to his Hoth/Bastila/Satele combo in the center. He did position Hoth to get a twin on the way in if I wanted to hit more than one, which I was happy to do, thus getting scarred up (he had a bad choice to make either way). Khalee was first and I Yun Yammka Satele to not deal with her parry. I was already thinking about rolling cleaves and such, when I realized I only get one attack on her. Doah! So I bring Tsavong in and go right in the middle of the trio, AoOs from Hoth and Bastila. I finish off Satele with another Yun Yammka, and get rolling cleave and cleave into Bastila, rolling a lucky 20 to get the last 10 I needed to kill her. He goes with Hoth and Double Twins - only hitting for 20s, and make that 10 after my perfect Save 2 crab armors (Yum Neshell +4). Spreads the damage getting Khalee down to 20 and Tsavong down to 40. Then he brings a hunter around for a furious assault, able to hit the 3 unique lahs. He hits Khalee twice, save 11 evade (-4 plasma bolt and +4 Yun Ne'shel cancel each other) made one missed one. I decide not to use Yun Harla because I wanted indiscriminate reactions. Then I roll the crab 6 to take 10 damage, make the save and pop Hoth for 40. Same exact story with Tsavong, Leaving Hoth with 80, Tsavong with 30, Khalee with 10. Roll in with a Lah Warrior to finish off Hoth and a Mouse (use the rolling cleave to make sure Hoth died. Spin a scrub. He Charges with his Nightbrother Warrior to get 10 more hp off my Lah Warrior. and potions his other hunter to be in range of getting an attack. I spin scrubs He comes in to try and take out Tsvong, and the cannon from Momma T, after all the rolls Tsavong had 10 left. I furious with my 2nd Lah warrior to take out his night brother and uggie, furious in with Czulkang and take an AoO from a hunter to be able to kill both hunters. He's down to Momma T, Silri, Talia and Porgs, against a 200hp Czulkang, Tsavong, Khalee and a Lah Warrior with 10hp, and the rest of my squad untouched. He conceded at that point.

He did mention to me that I never took my attacks against Hoth with my initial furious assaults with Khalee and Tsavong. There was so much going on I forgot! He was gracious about when I forgot to move Tsavong at all in round one to let him catch up with the group and when I messed up Yun Harla Sacrifice he let me keep it and not rewind (we figured out it didn't effect much, but I didn't make the sacrifice as I intended but used Yun Harla regardless. Then I realized and mentioned it. Most of the attacks I intentionally took so I could get indiscriminate reactions, but I did use it once or twice. Whoops!) It wasn't super consequential at that point and certainly wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game, but as ever Joe was friendly and gracious, even in a gross matchup of Jedi vs icky Vong.

Vong are looking scary ya'll. Let's see if they can take out the Sith like they did the Jedi
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2023 9:39:50 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Vong are looking scary ya'll. Let's see if they can take out the Sith like they did the Jedi

Yes the Vong are, and way back in the low power days of 100 pts, I suffered my only defeat at the hands of the purple people, so am not looking forward to this new matchup of fully powered vong.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2023 9:50:46 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Yes the Vong are, and way back in the low power days of 100 pts, I suffered my only defeat at the hands of the purple people, so am not looking forward to this new matchup of fully powered vong.

An Epic with Djem So vs an Epic with Counterattack (same ability in everything other than name) is going to be a massive headache
Mando
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2023 3:57:34 AM

Tourney: Galactic Escalation: Round 4, game #2 matchups:

Urbanjedi (3pts) defeats Bye
Spryguy1981 (3pts) defeats Mando (1pt)
thereisnotry (3pts) defeats urbanshmi (0pts)
Timmerb123 (3pts) defeats gandalfthegreatestwizard (0pts)

Tourney: Galactic Escalation
Leaderboard after round 4, game #2 completion.
1: 20 Points: urbanjedi - LWWWWWWW
2: 19 Points: Spryguy1981 - WWWWWLLW
3: 18 Points: Thereisnotry - WLWLWWWW
4: 16 Points: TimmerB123 - WLLWWLWW
5: 14 Points: Gandalfthegreatestwizard - WWLLLWWL
6: 8 Points: UrbanShmi - LLLWLWLL
7: 8 Points: Mando - LWWLLLLL

congrats to our top 4 players! We had a lot of fun games in this tournament and thank you for all who have participated thus far! Everyone brought a lot of creativity in squad design and showed skill in navigating the escalation format.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2023 7:51:35 AM

Thanks for running this, Mando!

I think the format is brilliant. It's a lot of fun, both because it forces you to build squads in a slightly different way than normal, and also because it gives a lot of variety throughout the progression of the tournament. It's also fun to use Epic pieces for once!

Personally, I'd like to see a 4-round version of this tournament at VassalCon this summer, following the format that you've laid out for us here:
Round 1: 100pts
Round 2: 150pts
Round 3: 200pts
Round 4: 375pts (with an Epic piece)

Personally, I think that the squadbuilding rules that we used for this tournament will work quite well going forward. I'd be curious to see if other people have suggestions.