RegisterDonateLogin

Finds your lack of faith disturbing.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Custom Character Benchmarks Options
Cassus fett
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2023 7:13:53 PM
Groups: Member

So, I had some free time the other day and I busted out an old favorite, the Mini-Calculator and went through some WotC guys to check if they were Over costed, Under costed, or Spot-On. The results were very interesting and I thought might help people trying to cost Custom Characters by giving reference points. I may offer brief commentary on my thoughts for certain pieces. I may or may not update this thread as I check more pieces.

The Rules
- Characters who come in Over/Under by 2 points are considered Spot-On. Before Kneesa, there were no options for a 2 point character so you just had to deal. So, if you're over by 2 that basically just pads your squad to the Build Total. If you're under by 2, well, you couldn't do anything about it. If a character came in here they will have an Asterix(*) beside them.
- Commander Effects are not scorable because there is such a wide array of effects from hyper specific, to extremely broad, therefore its up to each person (essentially YMMV). My rating goes Default at 3. If its bad or too specific, 2. If its really good, 5. These numbers can vary, if the CE is worthless well, it gets a 0.
- Not necessarily a rule, but its important to remember, because of how assigning numerical values to abilities causes some... funny things. A character with a lot of abilities will have its cost inflated, naturally. MORE ABILITIES+HIGHER COST DOES NOT MAKE A CHARACTER GOOD. You can have all the abilities you want, but if they don't synergize, the piece is junk (there are 2 perfect examples of this that will come up, see if you can spot them!).

Spot-On
- Shaak Ti (RoTS)
- Shaak Ti, Jedi Master (TFU)
- Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master (RotS)*
- Boba Fett, Enforcer (AE)
- Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo) (IE). (Not as bad as the OG version, he's over by 3, but let's be honest 1 point is not a make or break here. So, I'm bending the rules and putting him here.)

Under costed
- R2-D2, Astromech Droid (RotS), under by 12 points. Yes, seriously, this little droid should be 21 points. But would you use him if he was 21 points?

Over Costed
- Darth Revan (TFU), over by 28(!) points. This should not be a shock. This character is infamous for being dog-water. Costs more than Darth Bane or Exar Kun and is worse than both.
- Emperor Palpatine, Sith Lord (RotS), over by 19 points
- Corran Horn (CotF), over by 10
- Durge (CS), over by 16
- Durge, Jedi Hunter, over by 11. (Yes this Durge is over-costed, that +9 attack is BAD. Yes he has BH +4 and Jedi Hunter, doesn't change him having a base 9.)
- Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master (UH), over by 24(!) This Luke hurts so much. He has all the lightsaber abilities and some force ones, and no way to combo them together. He also can do 60 damage total. I do like his Commander Effect and gave it a 3, so if you disagree and deduct points, he's actually over costed even more. Compare to Vader Jedi Hunter from the same set, who also has better support in his faction, and weep.
- Grand Admiral Thrawn (UH), over by 6. Yeah, he's technically over costed (but I think we can all agree he's fine at 37). His stats and abilities bring him in at 22 points. I gave him +4 for the stat boost part of the CE and +5 for the swap part bringing him to 31 points.
- Han Solo, Galactic Hero (LotF), over by 11 points. My favorite piece in the game, drop him by 10 points and we're cooking.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2023 7:17:07 AM

Yeah, minis calculators are really tough and simply break entirely once you have more than a handful of special abilities. I remember one time somebody tried to tell me with a straight face that a Jedi with Melee Attack (and no pseudo-ranged abilities like Lightsaber Throw or Blaster 20 or Telekinetic Combat) and +18 Attack should be more expensive than that same Jedi with +14 Attack and Close-Quarters Fighting Bored
Cassus fett
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2023 7:08:06 PM

CorellianComedian wrote:
Yeah, minis calculators are really tough and simply break entirely once you have more than a handful of special abilities. I remember one time somebody tried to tell me with a straight face that a Jedi with Melee Attack (and no pseudo-ranged abilities like Lightsaber Throw or Blaster 20 or Telekinetic Combat) and +18 Attack should be more expensive than that same Jedi with +14 Attack and Close-Quarters Fighting Bored

Yeah, add on that melee and Unique are actually detrimental abilities that you take points off the cost if the character has them (which a lot of people don't seem to understand). Fringe characters should also get points added just for being Fringe, where as it seems people like to deduct points for this faction.
Idk, it's just interesting to see how certain characters stand the test of time while others were antiquated on arrival (Looking at you Luke).
Incidentally I played a game yesterday with Obi JM and even with V-set pieces involved he was still really solid, just having Lightsaber Assault makes him no joke.
CorellianComedian
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2023 5:36:08 PM

Lightsaber Assault was lightyears ahead of its time in terms of usefulness. Honestly surprised it didn't cost 2 points when compared with most other Force powers.