RegisterDonateLogin

Ounce for ounce, more nutritious than Ewok meat.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Galactic Escalation Tournament (Spring 2023) Squads, Pairings, and Results Thread (Round 1) Options
Mando
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2023 4:23:31 AM
Groups: Member

Welcome everyone to round 1 of the Spring of 2023 tournament of Galactic Escalation! You will have 1 week to play your matchup starting February 28th (Tuesday).Please get you games in by midnight on Tuesday March 7th. Game length is 75 minutes and gambit is worth 5pts per 100pt matchup rules. Now here are the people and squads that will be competing in round 1:

urbanshmi:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/242059/mace-escalates---in-your-face---100

--Mace Escalates...In Your Face! 100--
65 Mace Windu, Legacy of the Light Side
23 Foul Moudama
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(100pts. 4 activations)

Map: Mushroom Planet

urbanjedi:

--vader emperor 100--
45 Darth Vader of Lothal
40 Emperor Palpatine
5 Porg

Rebel Fortress

FlyingArrow:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/243188/round-1

--Round 1--
26 Elite Republic Commando - Boss
25 Elite Republic Commando - Fixer
25 Elite Republic Commando - Sev
23 Clone Commander Bacara
3 Mouse Droid

(98pts. 5 activations)

Map: Theed

Mando:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/241684/galactic-escalation-round-1--go-with-the-flow-

--Galactic Escalation Round 1 (Go with the Flow)--
54 Darth Caedus, Sith Lord
17 Vongerella, Dark Jedi
15 Sith Holocron
14 Exar Kun, Dark Force Spirit

(100pts. 4 activations)

Map: Theed Palace

thereisnotry:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/241950/escalating-nr-100

--Escalating NR 100--
45 Han Solo, Corellian Legend
32 Jaina Solo Fel, Jedi Master
23 General Wedge Antilles

(100pts. 3 activations)

Map: Rancor Pen

gandalfthegreatestwizard:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/242068/they-rise-in-green-robes-roaring

--They rise in green robes roaring--
45 Colonel Jacen Solo
28 Captain Shevu
22 Ben Skywalker, Jedi

(95pts. 3 activations)

Timmerb123:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/243110/mother-daughter-dance--spring-galactic-escalation-round-1-

--Mother-Daughter Dance (Spring Galactic Escalation Round 1)--
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
31 Mother Talzin
23 Nightsister Hunter
8 Mas Amedda
3 Rodian Brute
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

(100pts. 6 activations)

spryguy1981:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/243171/todays-jaqbot-is--100

--Today's JaqBot is $100--
37 Satele Shan
36 Atton "Jaq" Rand
27 Lobot

(100pts, 3 activations)

Map: Mushroom Planet

DarkDracul:

--Escalation Tourney 100--
http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/243173/escalation-tourney-100
27 Poe Dameron
25 Rey
15 Paige Tico, Resistance Gunner
14 Luke Skywalker, Jedi Spirit
13 BB-8
6 Cobalt Squadron Pilot
(100pts. 6 activations)

Map: Crime Lord's Palace

N3rdSl4y3r:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Squad/241872/vaders-long-leash--ge---100

--Vader's Long Leash: GE - 100--
45 Darth Vader, Scourge of the Jedi
27 Wilhuff Tarkin
8 R7 Astromech Droid
12 Imperial Navy Trooper x2
3 Mouse Droid

(95pts. 6 activations)

Map: Desert Marketplace
Mando
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2023 4:25:09 AM

Round 1, game #1 matchups:

N3rdSl4y3r vs Timmerb123

urbanshmi vs spryguy1981

FlyingArrow vs DarkDracul

gandalfthegreatestwizard vs Mando

Thereisnotry vs urbanjedi

----- Generated using Oxford Croquet Round Robin Generator -----

You have 1 week to get your games in starting Tuesday (February 28th). Have your games in before midnight on March 7th. May the force be with you!
Mando
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2023 10:55:18 AM

parings are posted. Have fun everyone! ThumbsUp

Looks like i have a Jacen vs Jacen situation going on in my first matchup Laugh
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2023 11:27:52 AM

Don’t forget to make squads public everyone
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2023 4:53:48 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I love these squads! Excited to see how they evolve.
thereisnotry
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2023 5:08:00 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
I love these squads! Excited to see how they evolve.
I was thinking the same thing. There are some really cool squad bases here, and I can't wait to see how they end up at 350pts.
Mando
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2023 4:41:10 AM

I'm really happy to see the variety of squads! Really solid 100pt teams and i know that I'm already going to have to escalate my squad in a different way than I thought I would based on what people are using in round 1. The great thing about this format is that you can change your strategy in future rounds by adding counters to what others are playing, so it really helps to have a flexible squad at 100pt that can mesh well with many different minis. Can't wait to get to the 350pt round! It'll be interesting to see how people do this time around compared to our first GE tournament. Great squad building everyone! Love seeing the ERC's making a comeback! Laura's Mace squad is going to be scary at any point level! Scared

gandalf and I are having our game on Vassal tomorrow at 1pm central in case people want to watch Jacen Solo going through a identity crisis. Laugh
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2023 12:43:55 PM

Mando defeats gandalfthegreatestwizard 95-10 (3-0)

Joe won the map roll so i got to pick side. I set up on the right side. Joe advanced up with Battle ready.

Round 1: I start the skirmish giving the extra 1fp to Caedus from Vongerella and using Exar to haunt caedus. Exar gets renewal from the Sith Holocron and advances, not turning on DA. The holocron attaches to Caedus and Caedus advances up. Vongrella hides behind Caedus to get some cover and moves Exar adjacent to Caedus. Captain Shevu gets into gambit and Ben and Jacen hold doors open.

Round 2: Joe win init and i move Exar DFS and don' activate DA. Joe moves Ben to blow up the door and Shevu GMA double attacks Caedus, landing 60 total damage onto him. Vongrella zaps Ben with lightning and Caedus moves adjacent to Ben and his him for 30 with sith rage. Jacen comes in and Double attacks Caedus, hitting 1 time and is use Illusion o evade the attack after Joe fails the reroll. Taking an AOO he retreats and i hit him back but Predictive reflexes gives Jacen one more attack back and he hits, but i makashi the hit away. Ben double attacks Caedus and misses. Joe gets gambit again.

Round 3: I lose init again but i do Aing Ti flow walk using the Holocrons FP to try and take out Ben. Ben makes a lightsaber defense save and only takes 30, bringing him down to 30hp. Shevu GMA double attacks Caedus and i use Illusion both times after failing the makashi saves, taking the fp from Caedus and the Holocron since i can't use the FP from Exar because of Ben's distraction. Shevu gives the canon shot to Ben who makes the attack but i make the Makashi and avoid the damage. Ben only has 1 fp left and i use Exar to drain him of that force point and the Caedus goes and SBM Shevu, Jacen and Ben, moving Shevu right next to Vongrella, and moving Jacen into the gambit room and away from the door, causing it to close at the end of the turn. Caedus uses Sith Rage also and hit Ben with one attack, killing him as he has no fp left to defense with, and Shevu takes 30 dmg, leaving him at 40hp. Joe moves Jacen to open the door. Vongrella uses Playerin Bol to do 40 dmg to Shevu after he fails the save 11, so Shevu dies.

Round 4: Joe wins init again and GMA double attacks Caedus and hit him both times but i evade damage by using Illusion and Makashi. Jacen retreats into the gambit room and the door is closed again. Vongrella opens the door and Caedus runs adjacent to Jacen dealing 30dmg to him to bring him down to 80hp, but Joe uses Predictive reflexes to deal 20 dmg back to Caedus, bringing Caedus down to 30hp. I use Exar's Dark Aura to almost guarantee that a sucessful illusion save for future attacks.

Round 5: I win init and i use Aing Tii Flow walk and do 60 dmg to Jacen, who attacks back and doesn't hit because of Caedus's high defense. Vongrella zaps Jacen for the remaining 20 hp needed to take him down.

The game was prtty close for a while. If Joe had made one of those Illusion saves while i didn't have DA active, it would have been really bad for Caedus. Getting rid of Ben by means of Exar's force drain and Caedus's attacks, opened up Caedus to use Exar's fp, which was what sealed the deal. Vongrella came up clutch and did a total of 80 dmg with her lightning/Playrin Bol which helped take down all that HP. In the end, Caedus was too tanky for the GA when combining his high defense, Makashi, Master Illusion and tons of fps available to him. Good game Joe!
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, March 1, 2023 4:45:54 PM

thereisnotry defeats urbanjedi 100-10 (3-0)

I won the map roll so we played on Rancor Pen. Jason set up on the right side, with his people in the more open area (with no doors), and I set up in the top left because I wanted my shooters to be able to start attacking as soon as possible.

Round 1: Battle Ready allowed Vader to move right up into gambit before the round started, and Palpy also moved forward, but (wisely) not in LOS yet. I moved Wedge up to shoot ineffectively at Vader. I then advanced Jaina far enough that Vader would need to spend a fp to move 10 if he wanted to attack her. He did, and 20dmg got past her defenses. Han triple-attacked Vader, but only got a single hit through for 20dmg (after armor).

Round 2: Jason won this one too. Vader used Surprise Attack, and then he double-twinned on Jaina, but she had practiced her kata that morning, and so she parried 4 of the 6 attacks. She was down to 40hp. She then attacked back and did 20dmg to Vader (100hp). Wedge was ineffective again. However, Han got 60dmg through on Vader (40hp). Huge init coming up, because both Jaina and Vader are at 40hp.

Round 3: I won init! However, Vader used Surprise Attack again...Jaina survived with 20hp thanks to one successful Parry save. She then hit Vader on one of her two attacks (Vader at 20hp). At this point both Sith are out of fp, and Vader and Jaina are both at 20hp. Jason activates Vader, who made 4 attacks and only hit on one of them...which Jaina Parried. Vader brushed aside everything that Han and Wedge threw at him, because he's a boss. Palpy just regained fp but stayed out of LOS. Another massive init....

Round 4: I won it. Jaina didn't fail this time, so Vader went down. She then hid behind Wedge, since she didn't want to die to a cheeky lightning bolt. Palpy charged up some fp. Han ran 12 to get LOS on Palpy for next round. Wedge moved up and put 40dmg into Palpy.

Round 5: I won init, but Jaina is too far away to do anything and both of my shooters have Opportunist. I decide to base Palpy with Wedge (doing minimal dmg) so that Palpy will face a Twin-Opportunist aoo if he decides to move out to go after Han. That happens (40dmg from Wedge's aoo's, and 30dmg zap on Han to bring him to 30), and then Han proceeded to put the killing shot on the 30hp Palpy.

Round 6: Just cleaning up. The poor Porg never stood a chance: spit-roasted him for supper.

This was a really close game, with two of my pieces severely wounded by the end (Jaina at 20, Han at 30). If Jason had won either of those big initiatives, Jaina almost certainly would've gone down, and I'm not sure if Han and Wedge could've pulled it out after that. As always, it was lots of fun to play with Jason.

spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, March 4, 2023 8:09:37 AM

Spry def Shmi (3-0) 101-20 on Mushroom Planet.

I brought in a Human Force Adept and Twi'lek Bodyguard with Lobot.

R1 is positioning and both of us get into gambit with Mace and Satele

R2 Shmi wins init and elects to go first. I intuition Satele back to within range of the HFA. Mace charges in and triples, he rolls a crit but the HFA alter's it to a normal number. Satele takes 40 Damage. She doubles on Mace and puts 40 on him. Atton shoots and misses one and Mace reflects the other but is down to 0FP after 2 Ripostes and a force absorb as well. Foul runs in to do some attacking and I lose my BG.

R3 is a crucial init. I win and elect to go first giving Satele her double + cunning, one of which she crits. Mace at 0FP was huge for me as he couldn't riposte. He's down to 30HP. He triples on Atton and I alter out of another crit leaving Atton at 10HP. Jaq finishes Mace who doesnt have the FP to reflect again and puts 20 on R2.

R4 I win init and Satele uses double on Foul. He defenses one of the attacks. He then leaps in with his last FP and attacks Atton. Atton makes his Avoid Defeat saves, and then R2 tows foul away. I then place Atton, HFA, and Lobot all in the central area and hold the door up top open

R5 Laura wins init and elects to go first. I intuition Satele within 6 of Foul, and she decides to lock the door with R2. Lobot opens the door and Satele runs out and kills Foul with LSA.

The Human Force Adept was huge in this game for me as it allowed me to avoid 2 crits and the subsequent free attacks.

As always its great to play Laura.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, March 4, 2023 8:21:33 AM

Props to spry for bringing in the Human Force Adept! Great adjustment to the match up, and a fun game.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Saturday, March 4, 2023 10:36:48 AM

N3rd defeats TimmerB123 (3-0) 100-6

Tim won the map roll so we played on Theed Palace. I set up on the left side.

Round 1: Mainly moving up the map towards the gambit room. Near the end of the round Vader moved all the way up to the right side of the gambit room. The NS Hunter that had been swapped in started shooting at Vader, and with Rolling Evade he was able to base her. She backed off taking 30 on AOO.

Round 2: Thrawn swapped away the NS Hunter. Vader put 80 onto Talzin, being bubbled down to 40. Vader made some more Rolling Evade saves from the NS Hunter with only one shot going through.

Round 3: Talzin lightnings Vader and cannons the NS Hunter who proceeds to miss. Navy Trooper hits Talzin for 10 more. Vader finishes off Talzin. Thrawn takes out a Navy Trooper. Thrawn swaps NS Hunter for some clean shots on Vader and only gets 20 through. Rodian puts 10 on Vader and dies to a Riposte.

Round 4: NS Hunter starts shooting at Vader again, and gets no damage through. Vader takes out NS Hunter leaving just clean up from there.

It was a good game, but the deciding factors were the NS Hunter's poor rolls and Vader making pretty much every save. I think the Nightsisters will be deadly as the rounds progress. Thank for playing Tim!
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, March 4, 2023 9:12:44 PM

Mando wrote:

Exar gets renewal from the Sith Holocron and advances, not turning on DA.

This shouldn't have happened as per the glossary of sith lore, only "living" characters get renewal and force ghosts are non-living.
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, March 5, 2023 9:17:58 PM

Darkdracul defeats FlyingArrow (3-0) 118-34

TJ won map roll so we played on Theed Palace. I set up on the right.

Hopefully, TJ can send me the log file so I can do a proper write-up. Unless he wants to do one.

I lost my game file and need to go to sleep.
Mando
Posted: Monday, March 6, 2023 4:11:47 AM

urbanjedi wrote:
Mando wrote:

Exar gets renewal from the Sith Holocron and advances, not turning on DA.

This shouldn't have happened as per the glossary of sith lore, only "living" characters get renewal and force ghosts are non-living.

I guess i should have read the glossary for that ability. I wasn't able to access Exars fp for a couple rounds because of Ben, but it still did mean i had a couple more force points to deal with Jacen at the end. Not sure how much that would have mattered, but I will make sure to play this correct in the future. Sorry for playing this wrong! I don't always look at the glossary text when it doesn't seem confusing as its stated because the ghosts do count as characters. It was an honest mistake on my part having it played that way because i thought it worked for all characters and functioned like how the Dark Force spirits can haunt other spirits.

I had seen it played before where someone gave the ghosts renewal with the Sith Holocron and thought that was pretty strong. I figured since the wording was the same on the dark force spirit allowing a unique character to gain force renewal, that when Sith Lore said "characters" within 6 squares gain renewal that it would count also. Usually abilities need to specify living characters in the main text if it isn't meant to apply to non-living ones. Maybe could we can get that added so that people don't misplay it in the future like i did? Needless to say, Exar DFS won't be getting Force Renewal going forward in this tournament unless he gets haunted by another Ghost.
Mando
Posted: Monday, March 6, 2023 4:20:20 AM

Tourney: Galactic Escalation Spring 2023: Round 1 game #1
Mando (3 pts) defeated gandalfthegreatestwizard (0 pts) : (95-10)
thereisnotry (3 pts) defeats urbanjedi (0 pts) : (100-10)
Spryguy1981 (3 pts) defeats Urbanshmi (0 pts) : (101-20)
N3rdSl4y3r (3 pts) defeats TimmerB123 (0 pts) : (100-6)
Darkdracul (3 pts) defeats FlyingArrow (0 pts) : (118-34)

Tourney: Galactic Escalation Spring 2023
Leaderboard after round 1, game #1 completion.
1: 3 Points: DarkDracul - W
2: 3 Points: Spryguy1981 - W
3: 3 Points: Thereisnotry - W
4: 3 Points: N3rdSl4y3r - W
5: 3 Points: Mando - W
6: 0 Points: FlyingArrow - L
7: 0 Points: UrbanShmi - L
8. 0 Points: Gandalfthegreatestwizard - L
9. 0 Points: urbanjedi - L
10. 0 Points: TimmerB123 - L
Mando
Posted: Monday, March 6, 2023 4:37:16 AM

Round 1, game #2 matchups:

N3rdSl4y3r vs spryguy1981

Timmerb123 vs DarkDracul

urbanshmi vs Mando

FlyingArrow vs urbanjedi

gandalfthegreatestwizard vs thereisnotry

----- Generated using Oxford Croquet Round Robin Generator -----

You have 1 week to get your games in starting Monday (March 6th). Have your games in before midnight on Monday March 13th.

Congrats on this last weeks winners! very fun matchups from what was reported. Looking forward to seeing this weeks matches played! If anyone needs 1 or 2 extra days we can arrange that as some schedules are hectic and they can't get their games within the 1 week timeframe. I don't want to push it much beyond that unless everyone thinks that is ok to do, mostly because i don't want the tournament running into a 12-13 week completion time frame. I think 1 week should usually give people enough time to get a game in so usually that is what i put, except when there is a holiday week/weekend because spending time with family is more important than a game.

May the Force be with you!
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, March 6, 2023 4:43:25 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
Darkdracul defeats FlyingArrow (3-0) 118-34

TJ won map roll so we played on Theed Palace. I set up on the right.

Hopefully, TJ can send me the log file so I can do a proper write-up. Unless he wants to do one.

I lost my game file and need to go to sleep.

I didn't save a log file, but that's accurate.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, March 6, 2023 6:56:28 PM

flyyoufools beats thereisnotry 125-42 (3-0) on Rancor Pit

Trevor won map and I set up on the left. One Battle Ready and round later, my squad was all tucked behind the wall in gambit. Jaina was in gambit on the other side, and Han and Wedge advanced through the slave pens on the top right. 5-5

The Second Galactic Civil War started at the end of round 2. I spun Ben and Jacen, the Trevor's guys moved a little closer, and then Shevu came out and took some shots at Wedge. He hit both needing 15s, but both were Evaded. 10-10

Round 3, I won init and Shevu took 2 more shots at Wedge, getting 1 through with Cunning (50HP left), then ran back behind the gambit wall and cowered behind Jacen and Ben. Jaina came around the corner spending a Force point to move faster and whacked her cousin Ben, who made the first very important LS Defense save (50HP left), then she stepped away giving an AOO to Ben (missed). Ben Force Pulled her back next to him and Jacen, but neither of them were able to get any damage through her Parrying. Wedge and Han both advanced to my side of the map, into position for a big Triple Attack from Han. 15-10

Round 4, Trevor won init. and Jaina hit Ben twice again, but he made another key LS Defense save to stay alive with 20HP. Then she Leaped away. That allowed Ben to forget about her and go after Han, Pulling him adjacent and hitting him for 30, then allowing Shevu to finish off the job with a Double/Momentum/Cunning into Han. Wedge finished off Ben. Jacen gave an AOO to Jaina (110HP left), killed Wedge, and based Jaina again. 88-37

Round 4, Trevor won init. Jaina Leaped at Shevu and hit him twice (10HP left). Shevu attacked her back but missed or got Deflected. Jacen attacked her but got Parried. 93-42

Round 5, I won init. Shevu got one hit through on Jaina (70HP left), then Jaina finally got revenge for her dad and killed Shevu. It looked like the game would finish with me winning on gambit and Trevor getting a point. But wait! We forgot about Wedge's Avoid Defeat! (Thanks Jason.) Trevor rolled and made both saves. So...

Round 3 redux: We rewound Vassal to when Wedge died. Wedge got to take a turn, and hit Jacen (90HP left) only to get killed (for real this time) by the Predictive Reflexes attack. 88-37

Round 4 redux: We used the same init rolls that we had previously made, but otherwise played everything out again. Jaina dropped 60 on Shevu again. Shevu and Jacen responded with a series of attacks that either missed or were Deflected/Parried. Jaina had 50HP left. 93-42

Round 5 redux: I won init based on previous init rolls. This time Shevu rolled 2 critical hits against Jaina(!), 1 of which I think got Deflected, and then Jacen rolled a crit as well(!) which I think got Parried. (50HP left on Jaina.) For her part, Jaina missed Shevu on both attacks and a reroll so he stayed alive (rolled 2, 2, 3).

Round 6: I won init and Shevu rolled another crit to finish Jaina off. 125-42

Crazy rolls! It's not often that rewinding the game because you forgot to make an Avoid Defeat save actually makes you worse off. Also very important was Ben making both of his LS Defense saves to stay alive a turn longer- without that, Han would have lived and swung the game in Trevor's favour. After the match, Trevor gave us a sneak peek at an awesome upcoming Vassal update which will make keeping track of scores and points much easier. (And for his sake, I hope it balances some of the dice rolls too.)
spryguy1981
Posted: Tuesday, March 7, 2023 10:39:28 AM

Spry (3) defeats N3rd (0) 107-31 on Mushroom Planet
Reinforcements were Teek, Wicket, and an Uggie

The real key to this game in my opinion is that I won every important initiative roll.

R1 was positioning I moved Satele into gambit and he moved Vader into gambit. I also set Wicket up for the traps

R2 I win init which allows me to put 60 on Vader even with bad rolls. I needed mettle a few times this game. Vader responds back and hits a riposte. Teek runs in to distract Vader's Rolling Evade and Atton puts 40 on him after Dark Armor. Vader at 20. He gets several shots off and Satele finishes the round with 30HP.

R3 I win init again which allowed me once more to hit Vader with Cunning. Hit my attack and was able to move having not needed to use my double. He kills Teek. Atton puts 60 on Tarkin,

R4 he wins init and kills Wicket. Satele runs in and assaults Tarkin and the Trooper and kills them and Atton finishes off the R7 for the 100pts.

Always a fun game and honestly had he won those 2 inits I think he wins the game.