RegisterDonateLogin

I truly, deeply love Bloo.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Gaging interest in a new long form tournament - The Versatility Gauntlet Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 8:17:50 PM
Groups: Member

I know we'er only about 1/2 way through Galactic Escalation, but I'm already thinking ahead to the next long form tournament.

As we start to get into the Spring, I know a lot of players are chomping at the bit to test out some 200pt tournament level squads. This tournament will let you try a lot of different squads out!

The Versatility Gauntlet (Galactic Attrition!)

The concept is simple - round robin format, 1 game a week. Every match you MUST play a different faction. Once played, it cannot be played again. (All-Fringe will be considered a faction for this event)

A few twists -

Have 1 squad from all factions ready to go. Then just prior to your match (immediately prior to picking your squad), you get to eliminate some faction options for your opponent (just for that game), and have to choose a faction from the ones left!

(This tournament will ideally have 10 players, but I can fiddle with it to make it work with other numbers)

Week 1 - you each eliminate 5 factions for your opponent (you pick from the remaining 5)
Week 2 - You each eliminate 4 factions for your opponent (counting the one you played the prior week, you pick from the remaining 5)
Week 3 - You each eliminate 3 factions for your opponent (counting the two you played the prior 2 weeks, you pick from the remaining 5)
Week 4 - You each eliminate 2 factions for your opponent (counting the three you played the prior 3 weeks, you pick from the remaining 5)
Week 5 - You each eliminate 1 faction for your opponent (counting the four you played the prior 4 weeks, you pick from the remaining 5)
Week 6 - You each choose from the remaining 5 factions you have left.
Week 7 - You each choose from the remaining 4 factions you have left.
Week 8 - You each choose from the remaining 3 factions you have left.
Week 9 - You each choose from the remaining 2 factions you have left.

Cut to top 4 -

Semi-finals - You must play the last faction you have not played!!!

Finals - You select 3 factions for your OPPONENT to choose from. One week to prepare the squad.
*It must be significantly different than any of your prior squads.* (How do we ensure this? Read below)

(After faction options are given, An independent 3 judge panel will go through the squads each player has already played in the tournament, and outlaw SIGNIFICANT pieces for that player. If both players played the same piece, it will either be on the ban list for both players or neither. But otherwise the ban lists will vary between players because it's based on what they already played. We are talking Thrawn, Mother T, Boba BFH, Revan SC, Han Correlian Legend, Mandalore the Vindicated, 8th Cortex Shaper, Critdu, etc, etc.)

This tournament is about VERSATILITY, so start making those squads now. Study up on your weaker factions.

Probably won't start until May, but I figured I'd give heads up now.

Who thinks they might want to participate in this?
thereisnotry
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2023 8:29:52 PM

This sounds like a lot of fun. I'd be in for sure.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 1:58:37 AM

I'd be up for this! Sounds like a lot of fun. I was thinking of running another Galactic Escalation for the Summer season (was thinking I could do GE Spring 2023, Summer 2023, Fall 2023 and Winter 2023) so i'm not sure if we had 2 long form tournaments running in the Summer would be ok for people or not. I don't want to take away potential players from your idea of this new tournament, so maybe we can take a Summer vacation from GE if there is enough people wanting to try it out? They are 2 completely different formats, but i feel that yours would give people really good practice before Gencon/VassalCon. Would we be using the new v-25 mini set since we have the pdf available?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 4:29:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Always love a squad building contest. I'm in.
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 4:49:31 AM

I'm really enjoying the GE format, but for Regional/Championship season I think that this Versatility Tournament would be a better idea, since it directly helps people prepare for the big tournaments. Then do GE again in the Fall. Those are my thoughts.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 9:06:54 AM

thereisnotry wrote:
I'm really enjoying the GE format, but for Regional/Championship season I think that this Versatility Tournament would be a better idea, since it directly helps people prepare for the big tournaments. Then do GE again in the Fall. Those are my thoughts.

Exactly my thoughts as well
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 9:10:25 AM

Mando wrote:
Would we be using the new v-25 mini set since we have the pdf available?

My feeling is that whatever is legal can be played. Don’t wanna use stuff before it’s legal, so 25a yes (I believe that is legal now, correct?) but not 25 main unless it spans after GenCon (which I don’t think it will)

(And let me know if I am incorrect on “release” dates. It has been a bit confusing)
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2023 11:01:55 AM

I'd be down for this.
Overley28
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2023 7:34:09 AM

I would be interested
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2023 5:29:41 PM

I’d be in for this.
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, April 3, 2023 7:42:45 PM

As of now it looks like there is definitely enough interest to do this, and hopefully we can get a few more committed as well!

I estimate we will start in early to mid-May, but I will pin down a date in a few weeks. I want at least the pre-top 4 rounds to be finished with Galactic Escalation, and if we need to give a little wiggle room to those in the top 4 of that tournament then that's fine. I know time is a precious commodity for all of us and we each need to find our own balance.

But I wanted to get the word out EARLY regardless, because there is SQUAD BUILDING to dive into!

So ideally everyone will have (at least) ONE 200pt legal squad for each faction ready to go. To be clear - I will NOT be asking for squads in advance. Since VERSATILITY is literally the name of the game, I want you to be able to pick the best squad you want to use (out of what hasn't been potentially nixed by your opponent) in a game-time decision. So I'd recommend allowing a little extra time in scheduling games to allow for you (and your opponent) to examine the other's squad for a bit before starting.

I envision it like this - you schedule a game-time with your opponent. You meet up in discord and Vassal (or whatever method you choose), and lay it out.

{Round 3 as a random example}

(Player 1) OK I know you already played NR and Separatists. I have my picks for the other 3 you cannot play this round.

(Player 2) And I know you played Sith and Rebels in the first two rounds. I have my picks ready too. Lets type it in the vassal chat and simul-send.

(Player 1) great sounds good. (types in) One, two, three, send

(Player 1 sent in type) OR, Republic and Sith

(Player 2 sent in type) I choose Vong, Imperials and OR

(Player 1) OK I've played Sith and Rebels, and you took out Vong, Imps and OR for me. That leaves Republic, Mandos, NR, Separatists, and All-Fringe for me.

(player 2) Correct. And I've played NR and Seps, and you nixed OR, Republic and Sith for me. So I have Mandos, Rebels, Imps, Vong and All-Fringe.

(Player 1) - you got it. Let's take 2 min to select squads

(Player 2) sounds good.

(Player 1) OK have mine typed in the chat with a link

(Player 2) Me too. One two three, Send

{Links simul-sent. Map selection is notated in the comments in the squad builder for each specific squad}

(Player 1) OK great - you're Mandos.

(Player 2) Yup, and you're all Fringe. OK cool - meet back in 10 min?

(Player 1) Sounds good.

Then study your opponent's squad, and meet at the agreed upon time and play!

urbanjedi
Posted: Tuesday, April 4, 2023 4:24:47 PM

I'll sign up for this. Gotta go make some squads now
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2023 10:39:58 AM

So there is still the playoffs for Galactic Escalation to go, but I wanted to try and firm up a start date for The Versatility Gauntlet.

I'm crazy busy for the next month. So I could start it after June 15th. Is that too late to get it started?

Or If someone else wants to take up the reigns and start it before then feel free. I might be able to get a game in each week, (but not also run it) until mid June
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2023 12:16:15 PM

That works for me.
spryguy1981
Posted: Saturday, May 6, 2023 4:26:29 PM

Sounds good.
Mando
Posted: Monday, May 8, 2023 3:41:12 AM

works for me to
Overley28
Posted: Monday, May 8, 2023 6:38:58 AM

I'm in
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 8, 2023 7:57:07 AM

Starting Mid June feels a bit late. Gen Con is early Aug, and this could potentially last 10 - 12 weeks (well past Gen Con)

I'll try and get it together sooner. I have 1 week especially that might be pretty insane for me. I'm running a very large weekend event (not gaming related) and I imagine the week leading up to it and that weekend of I'll just pretty much be occupied. (June 5-12th)

so if it's ok with everyone I may just give extra time that week (like we did with Spring break for Galactic Escalation) if need be. Who knows I may be able to fit it in and need that change of focus.

I just think starting in almost a month and a half is just too late.

So I'd like to start in 2 weeks if possible. How's May 22nd for everyone?
Mando
Posted: Monday, May 8, 2023 7:59:52 AM

That'd work for me. thanks for running this tournament Tim! great concept and good practice for genconThumpUp
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, May 8, 2023 8:05:58 AM

Sounds fine. Thanks for running this!