RegisterDonateLogin

Drink it in your moment of triumph, just don't overestimate their chances.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

The Versatility Gauntlet (Galactic Attrition!) Sign up thread! Starts May 22nd! Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 8, 2023 8:28:31 AM
Groups: Member

This is the Sign-Up thread. How each week runs depends on number of players. Ideally we'll have 10 players, but I'll fiddle with it to make it work with any number between about 6-14.

Starts Monday May 22nd, and 1 game per week is expected (but with clear communication extensions can be made on a case by case basis. Long story short - we want everyone to be able to play their games)

The Versatility Gauntlet (Galactic Attrition!)

The concept is simple - round robin format, 1 game a week. Standard competitive 200 pt level 75 minute games with all current legal sets available to use and all balance committee rulings in place (exception below.) Every match you MUST play a different faction. Once played, it cannot be played again (until perhaps the finals). (All-Fringe will be considered a faction for this event)

(Side note - To declare a squad a faction, it must have at least one piece from that faction. Seems obvious right? But the reason for this rule is to prevent someone from potentially using an all-Fringe squad and declaring it any faction they want. You could still go mostly Fringe and a piece with Independent Outfit - that's fine. Because that squad is still exclusively that faction.)

*Recent balance committee ruling exception - we won’t be enforcing having to have a reinforcement/reserves list. We’re not even submitting squads (which by nature must change every single round), so we obviously can’t ask for a reinforcement/reserves list.

A few twists to how the tournament will progress-

Have 1 squad from all factions ready to go. Then just prior to your match (immediately prior to picking your squad), you get to eliminate some faction options for your opponent (just for that game), and have to choose a faction from the ones left!

(This tournament will ideally have 10 players, but I can fiddle with it to make it work with other numbers)

Week 1 - you each eliminate 5 factions for your opponent (you pick from the remaining 5)
Week 2 - You each eliminate 4 factions for your opponent (counting the one you played the prior week, you pick from the remaining 5)
Week 3 - You each eliminate 3 factions for your opponent (counting the two you played the prior 2 weeks, you pick from the remaining 5)
Week 4 - You each eliminate 2 factions for your opponent (counting the three you played the prior 3 weeks, you pick from the remaining 5)
Week 5 - You each eliminate 1 faction for your opponent (counting the four you played the prior 4 weeks, you pick from the remaining 5)
Week 6 - You each choose from the remaining 5 factions you have left.
Week 7 - You each choose from the remaining 4 factions you have left.
Week 8 - You each choose from the remaining 3 factions you have left.
Week 9 - You each choose from the remaining 2 factions you have left.

Cut to top 4 -

Semi-finals - You must play the last faction you have not played!!!

Finals - You select 3 factions for your OPPONENT to choose from. One week to prepare the squad.
*It must be significantly different than any of your prior squads.* (How do we ensure this? Read below)

(After faction options are given, An independent 3 judge panel will go through the squads each player has already played in the tournament, and outlaw SIGNIFICANT pieces for that player. If both players played the same piece, it will either be on the ban list for both players or neither. But otherwise the ban lists will vary between players because it's based on what they already played. We are talking Thrawn, Mother T, Boba BFH, Revan SC, Han Correlian Legend, Mandalore the Vindicated, 8th Cortex Shaper, Critdu, etc, etc. Pieces that could be brought in to another faction via affinity or CE could be included on the ban list. Basic minor tech pieces will always be allowed - ie ugnaughts, mouse droids, XT-droids, Mas Amedda, etc)
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 8, 2023 8:29:04 AM

1. TimmerB123
2. thereisnotry
3. Mando
4. UrbanShmi
5. spryguy1981
6. Overley28
7. N3rdSl4y3r
8. urbanjedi
9. chiech22
10. gandalfthegreatestwizard

(Can still have 1 more)
TimmerB123
Posted: Monday, May 8, 2023 8:29:38 AM

So ideally everyone will have (at least) ONE 200pt legal squad for each faction ready to go. To be clear - I will NOT be asking for squads in advance. Since VERSATILITY is literally the name of the game, I want you to be able to pick the best squad you want to use (out of what hasn't been potentially nixed by your opponent) in a game-time decision. So I'd recommend allowing a little extra time in scheduling games to allow for you (and your opponent) to examine the other's squad for a bit before starting.

I envision it like this - you schedule a game-time with your opponent. You meet up in discord and Vassal (or whatever method you choose), and lay it out.

Quote:
{Round 3 as a random example}

(Player 1) OK I know you already played NR and Separatists. I have my picks for the other 3 you cannot play this round.

(Player 2) And I know you played Sith and Rebels in the first two rounds. I have my picks ready too. Lets type it in the vassal chat and simul-send.

(Player 1) great sounds good. (types in) One, two, three, send

(Player 1 sent in type) OR, Republic and Sith

(Player 2 sent in type) I choose Vong, Imperials and OR

(Player 1) OK I've played Sith and Rebels, and you took out Vong, Imps and OR for me. That leaves Republic, Mandos, NR, Separatists, and All-Fringe for me.

(player 2) Correct. And I've played NR and Seps, and you nixed OR, Republic and Sith for me. So I have Mandos, Rebels, Imps, Vong and All-Fringe.

(Player 1) - you got it. Let's take 2 min to select squads

(Player 2) sounds good.

(Player 1) OK have mine typed in the chat with a link

(Player 2) Me too. One two three, Send

{Links simul-sent. Map selection is notated in the comments in the squad builder for each specific squad}

(Player 1) OK great - you're Mandos.

(Player 2) Yup, and you're all Fringe. OK cool - meet back in 10 min?

(Player 1) Sounds good.

Then study your opponent's squad, and meet at the agreed upon time and play!
TimmerB123
Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2023 5:03:02 AM

This starts in just over 1 week.

Please ask questions if anything is not clear.

We need all players to understand how this works very well, because there will be a bit more expected for the players to do themselves with each other immediately before their match than usual. It will throw a lot of things off if someone plays a faction more than once (I could see this happening accidentally, not understanding how independent outfit works as an example.) We also need everyone committed to the full 9-12 weeks and ready to communicate any schedule conflicts. Real life gets in the way sometimes, but clear communication is expected if that happens.

We have 9 players currently, and we can run it with 9, but we’d ideally have 1 or even 2 more.

Who’s in?

Test run a different competitive 200pt squad in ALL of the factions AND play against different ones in a wide variety of factions!
UrbanShmi
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2023 11:21:47 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm in.

I do have a question. How often am I able to veto a specific faction. Could I in theory decide I never want to play against Vong or Separatists or whatever? I mean, obviously there's a chance that that's all that would be left in the later rounds, but just wondering.
Mando
Posted: Monday, May 15, 2023 11:32:06 AM

i'm still in. Looking forward to it!
chiech22
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2023 6:14:43 AM

Since I was the last to throw my hat in the ring, I can bow out or just fill in when someone can't make it due to a conflict since we are at an odd number.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2023 7:07:44 AM

chiech22 wrote:
Since I was the last to throw my hat in the ring, I can bow out or just fill in when someone can't make it due to a conflict since we are at an odd number.

No we'd love to have you still. It doesn't matter so much in this format if we have an odd number. It will make it so one player has a bye each week, which may be a little welcome break. And Ideally we'll have one or 2 MORE players, we certainly don't want less. The idea is to play most (or ideally all) of the factions. But we need enough players to do that.
chiech22
Posted: Tuesday, May 16, 2023 8:05:17 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
It will make it so one player has a bye each week, which may be a little welcome break. And Ideally we'll have one or 2 MORE players, we certainly don't want less. The idea is to play most (or ideally all) of the factions. But we need enough players to do that.

In that case - can I request a bye next week? Next week is going to be awful for me (timewise). Smile
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2023 6:53:40 AM

chiech22 wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:
It will make it so one player has a bye each week, which may be a little welcome break. And Ideally we'll have one or 2 MORE players, we certainly don't want less. The idea is to play most (or ideally all) of the factions. But we need enough players to do that.

In that case - can I request a bye next week? Next week is going to awful for me (timewise). Smile

If we do end up with an odd number, I don’t see why that can’t be accommodated.

Still hoping we get one or two more entries
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2023 10:53:21 AM

Speaking of - I have a 100% for sure crazy week coming up soon as well. Mine is June 5-11th

If everyone is ok with either taking a week off that week, or if we do have an odd number if I could make that my bye week.

Who is paired with who which week will be randomized, and it's early on in the tournament - so I don't see it making virtually any difference - but if there's any concern please let me know - here or by bloomail.
Mando
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2023 12:16:27 PM

I know that the week of June 11-18 is going to be hard for me because i'm going on a camping trip and won't have internet. so if i could request that to be my bye week, that'd be great!
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2023 12:42:23 PM

I'll be away from July 22-29.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, May 17, 2023 5:31:15 PM

Thanks for the heads up on tough weeks. I will do my best to honor those - first come first served

This is all pending us having an odd number (2 more sign up!)

But let's just be flexible in general
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Thursday, May 18, 2023 6:42:08 PM

I'm in.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2023 6:39:04 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
I'm in.

Sweet!
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, May 19, 2023 8:14:58 AM

Thank you chiech22 for the awesome reminder -

I know it’s a bit of extra prep work, but it would really help everything run smoother - If everyone had their squad for each faction saved and ready to go in Vassal.

UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2023 7:36:33 AM

TimmerB123 wrote:
Thank you chiech22 for the awesome reminder -

I know it’s a bit of extra prep work, but it would really help everything run smoother - If everyone had their squad for each faction saved and ready to go in Vassal.

Done.

I also saved the squads to maps (Save Game, for those who haven't done it before), so that I wouldn't forget what map went with which squad.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2023 12:16:14 PM

I will also reiterate that it is a requirement That all squads have the map listed in the comments of that saved squad in the Bloomilk squadbuilder.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, May 20, 2023 12:17:49 PM

- Make a squad for each faction in the Bloomilk squadbuilder.

- Put the map that you are using for each squad in the comment section

- build each squad in Vassal and save each squad for easy access