RegisterDonateLogin

Any attack made by the Rebels against Bloo Milk would be a useless gesture.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Stifling Attack Options
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2023 1:29:20 PM
Groups: Member

Quote:
Stifling Attack: On this character's turn, adjacent enemies cannot use special abilities that respond to its attacks

Can a character use a special ability that responds to damage from this character? For example Damage Reduction or Shields?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2023 1:36:41 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yes.
TimmerB123
Posted: Friday, July 21, 2023 9:07:04 PM

N3rdSl4y3r wrote:
Quote:
Stifling Attack: On this character's turn, adjacent enemies cannot use special abilities that respond to its attacks

Can a character use a special ability that responds to damage from this character? For example Damage Reduction or Shields?

UrbanShmi wrote:
Yes.

Respectfully, I think this is incorrect. As the creator of this ability - we very specifically used the wording for suppressive fire, except only for special abilities (not force powers), and only from adjacent attacks.

We basically wanted it to work exactly the same, except only against adjacent enemies, and it doesn't work against force powers.

Since we know Suppressive Fire cuts through shields and damage reduction, Stifling should too.

Since the wording is the same, it should work the same. If it doesn't, the rules committee needs to re-look at that and make sure it does, as that was always the intent.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2023 6:10:34 AM

You are correct, Tim. Stifling Attack does stop the opponent from using Damage Reduction, VCA, Beskar'gam, Shields, etc. "Respond to its attacks" is an umbrella term that includes reducing damage from attacks as well as preventing all damage or attacking back.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2023 10:09:15 AM

Ok, thanks for the clarification.
TimmerB123
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2023 12:38:26 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
You are correct, Tim. Stifling Attack does stop the opponent from using Damage Reduction, VCA, Beskar'gam, Shields, etc. "Respond to its attacks" is an umbrella term that includes reducing damage from attacks as well as preventing all damage or attacking back.

Would that include Sith Reflexes?
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2023 3:33:49 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Would that include Sith Reflexes?

I believe that you could use sith reflexes against someone with stifling attack (or supressive fire) since the wording on sith reflexes is slightly different than on things like shields or DR or SSM or any of the other things that suppressive fire gets around. I have played it as such and ruled as such when others have asked (although I could be wrong), but sith reflexes isn't responding to the attack, it is responding to the character actually taking the damage.
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2023 4:26:12 PM

after some additional consideration, I am not as sure as I was.

I posted this for the rules committee to take a look at
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Saturday, July 22, 2023 5:39:45 PM

Cool, let me know where you get. Thanks!
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2023 2:01:20 PM

Stifling Attack was superbly designed by two brilliant designers, and it might be okay to make it stronger.

However, it was ruled only for SA "responding to attacks" and we have been playing it that way for 6 or 7 years.
Unless it's a serious problem, I'd prefer the ruling not be changed until the end of the season. (after vassal-con)

I did not co-create Stifling Attack on v-set 14 with the intent of preventing the use of ALL Special Abilities.
I didn't realize we were putting Ampistaff on Jacen Solo in Ampistaff Armor for purely thematic reasons.

My impression was that Stifling would be doing exactly what it said, preventing SA like SSM, Parry, or Lightsaber Defense that respond to attacks . . . not prevent the use SA such as DR 10 or Lightsaber Protection!

When card text says, "respond to its attacks" . . . to me it means exactly that, "respond to its attacks."
It's the glossary entry of abilities like Suppressive Fire and Brutal Strike which prevents the use of other abilities.

Quote:
Brutal Strike - This character’s attacks cannot be prevented and characters attacked by this character cannot respond to this character with special abilities or Force powers this turn.

Suppressive Fire - Enemies attacked by this character cannot use Force powers and special abilities for the rest of the turn.

Stifling Attack - On this character's turn, adjacent enemies cannot use special abilities that respond to its attacks.

Rereading our old 2016 forum, I think I misunderstood Tim to be saying shutting down stuff like SSM would be the extent of a Stifling Attack. It's too bad we didn't hammer that one down and create a glossary entry.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:34 pm
"TimmerB123" wrote:
Stifling Attack
On this character's turn, enemy characters attacked by this character cannot use special abilities that respond to this character's attacks for the rest of the turn.

Suppressive fire extra light.
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:58 am
"TimmerB123" wrote:
NPE List:
SSM (see rant about saves, especially without a shutoff in overall gameplay thread. Damage cap offensive. Also see Stifling Attack in new ability ideas)
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:44 pm
"DarkDracul" wrote:
SSM - I don't see it as a huge problem... As long as your ideas are reasonable... I'm good.
I think sometimes it's good for certain characters to have some teeth against SSM.

Suppressive Fire- Don't make any more characters with Suppressive Fire.
Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:48 pm
"TimmerB123" wrote:
"DarkDracul" wrote:
SSM - I don't see it as a huge problem... As long as your ideas are reasonable... I'm good. I think sometimes it's good for certain characters to have some teeth against SSM.
Stifling Attack would be the extent of it.

"DarkDracul" wrote:
Suppressive Fire- Don't make any more characters with Suppressive Fire.
Agreed, but I think the 1/3 of suppressive fire that I suggested would be reasonable.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2023 6:19:42 PM

Stifling Attack preventing the use of Beskar'gam, Damage Reduction, Vonduun Crab Armor et cetera is not a change of ruling. To my knowledge it is how the ability has worked from day one- I don't see where it has been ruled differently, though it might have been- and RC has not discussed any change to that aspect. RC ruled in the past that the card text of Suppressive Fire is correct, and the glossary should be interpreted in light of it- it only prevents abilities that respond to attacks (which includes damage from attacks), and does not absolutely stop the character from using other Force powers or special abilities for the rest of the turn.

The rules committee is currently discussing the interaction between Stifling Attack and Sith Reflexes, since I queried whether Jason's tentative ruling as given above was consistent with other rulings by the RC and how Stifling Attack is understood to work.

Side note: Amphistaff is not irrelevant on Jacen Solo in Amphistaff Armor, since Stifling Attack does not nullify Avoid Defeat, Noble Sacrifice or similar abilities that respond specifically to being defeated rather than to an attack or damage from an attack.
adamb0nd
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2023 8:20:09 PM

I didn't realize stifling attack counters SAs that respond to damage, but after reading wotc's final glossary term for attack, it does make sense;

Quote:
attack: An attack is rolling a d20, adding the character’s Attack number (including modifiers), comparing to the target’s Defense, and dealing damage equal to the attacker’s Damage number (including modifiers). If an offensive ability isn’t resolved that way, it doesn’t count as an
attack.

The attack's damage is part of the "attack" key word, and while it's not immediately obvious without the glossary term, id vote stifling should prevent abilities that respond to an attack's damage, RAW. Other wise, stifling should be rewritten to specify its intent to prevent abilities that respond to a character's "attack roll".
DarkDracul
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2023 8:26:55 PM

Stifling Attack preventing the use of Beskar'gam, Damage Reduction, Vonduun Crab Armor et cetera is not a change of ruling. To my knowledge it is how the ability has worked from day one- I don't see where it has been ruled differently- and RC has not discussed any change to that aspect. RC ruled in the past that the card text of Suppressive Fire is correct, and the glossary should be interpreted in light of it- it only prevents abilities that respond to attacks (which includes damage from attacks), and does not absolutely stop the character from using other Force powers or special abilities for the rest of the turn.

The rules committee is currently discussing the interaction between Stifling Attack and Sith Reflexes, since I queried whether Jason's tentative ruling as given above was consistent with other rulings by the RC and how Stifling Attack is understood to work.

Side note: Amphistaff is not irrelevant on Jacen Solo in Amphistaff Armor, since Stifling Attack does not nullify Avoid Defeat, Noble Sacrifice or similar abilities that respond specifically to being defeated rather than to an attack or damage from an attack.

It has been ruled that way at tournaments here, and Urbanshmi just made the same ruling earlier in this post. I have never seen a ruling that states responding to attacks is equivalent to responding to taking damage from attacks. If that's the case, it should have been clearly stated somewhere and accessible to players.

Saying the card text is correct, but the glossary should be interpreted differently contradicts everything I've been told in the past about the rules. Throughout my experience, Wizards of the Coast or V-set designers would frequently update the glossary with the new "correct" rulings. As a rule, we have always played by the glossary wording.

We have always played Suppressive Fire and Brutal Strike as preventing Avoid Defeat and Noble Sacrifice. Our group has consistently relied on the glossary definition, which explicitly states, "a character being attacked cannot use abilities this turn." If there were changes to this interpretation, it should have been updated in the glossary.

Sith Reflexes was designed with the intention of bypassing this "responds to attacks" garbled rules mess, and the rules experts who assisted me during its creation assured me that it would function as I intended. In light of this, I believe the glossary text should be updated to reflect the "correct" ruling that aligns with my original intention.

Regarding Stifling Attack, if it is indeed intended to work like Suppressive Fire (as we interpret it here based on the glossary), then Amphistaff on Jacen Solo would be redundant.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, July 23, 2023 11:13:19 PM

We all know that TOs and other rules-people are not computers with perfect access to every bit of information about the game, we regularly get things wrong and abilities are ruled incorrectly at tournaments or on the forums. I think I played Sith Reflexes vs Stifling Attack wrong myself when it came up in a game.

Yes, it is odd in the case of Suppressive Fire that the card and glossary text contradict each other. I think a good rule of thumb is to prefer whichever one is more specific, since sometimes one or the other is abbreviated; for example the glossary for Suppressive Fire also does not say that it only works on the character's turn, while the card does. Sithborg and swinefeld made the call back in 2013 (shortly after the ability debuted) that for Suppressive Fire, the glossary omitting things that are on the card and contradicting it was a mistake, and that the card text overrides it. The bloomilk glossary entry should have been updated to reflect that, because as you say it is important that the rules are clearly stated and accessible to players. I will get onto that with the collaboration of the RC.

Suppressive Fire vs Avoid Defeat came up in the final of VassalCon last year between myself and Jason. On that occasion I was confused about the wording, as I was reading the glossary text and thought that it overrode the card, but Jason knew the correct ruling since he's been around for a lot longer than me. I mention this to reinforce that a) people have played this ruling correctly as it has been ruled from the start, b) no one gets every rule right, and c) it's very important that rules information is up to date.

(Given the above) Stifling Attack by definition works the same way as Suppressive Fire, since it uses exactly the same wording on the card, albeit not including Force powers: "cannot use special abilities that respond to its attacks" compared to "cannot use special abilities or Force powers that respond to this character's attacks". Amphistaff on Jacen is not redundant because, as above, neither Stifling nor Suppressive counters Avoid Defeat, Self-Destruct, Noble Sacrifice, or any other ability triggered by defeat. They both only affect the target's ability to respond to attacks and damage from attacks.

Do I understand correctly that your intent for Sith Reflexes was for it to work vs. Stifling Attack, but not vs. Suppressive Fire? If so, I don't think there's a way to square that circle without changing Stifling Attack, not Sith Reflexes, because Stifling and Suppressive Fire do the same thing. I assume you didn't intend for Sith Reflexes to work against Suppressive Fire, because of the interpretation of its glossary. But either way, the timeless maxim of the 2016 animated martial arts movie holds true: kung fu cannot stop something that stops kung fu.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2023 3:00:03 AM

DarkDracul wrote:

We have always played Suppressive Fire and Brutal Strike as preventing Avoid Defeat and Noble Sacrifice. Our group has consistently relied on the glossary definition, which explicitly states, "a character being attacked cannot use abilities this turn." If there were changes to this interpretation, it should have been updated in the glossary.

I have never played or ruled it that way.

Suppressive always got around evade or shields and stopped the use of force bubble, but never stopped avoid defeat or other such things

I agree the glossary on bloo should have been updated, but was told at one point that bloo would always just stay card text and not reflect errata or balance committee rulings.
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2023 3:16:38 AM

And Gandalf is right. No one can remember every ability and every interaction. And it is made more difficult at times because more and more abilities keep coming out

And I also know I have made incorrect rulings before (maybe even in this thread) and then was reminded why it was incorrect. Even people who are good at the rules occasionally make mistakes
urbanjedi
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2023 4:48:34 AM

DarkDracul wrote:
Stifling Attack was superbly designed by two brilliant designers, and it might be okay to make it stronger.

However, it was ruled only for SA "responding to attacks" and we have been playing it that way for 6 or 7 years.
Unless it's a serious problem, I'd prefer the ruling not be changed until the end of the season. (after vassal-con)

I did not co-create Stifling Attack on v-set 14 with the intent of preventing the use of ALL Special Abilities.
I didn't realize we were putting Ampistaff on Jacen Solo in Ampistaff Armor for purely thematic reasons.

My impression was that Stifling would be doing exactly what it said, preventing SA like SSM, Parry, or Lightsaber Defense that respond to attacks . . . not prevent the use SA such as DR 10 or Lightsaber Protection!

When card text says, "respond to its attacks" . . . to me it means exactly that, "respond to its attacks."
It's the glossary entry of abilities like Suppressive Fire and Brutal Strike which prevents the use of other abilities.

These are all based on wotc and overwhelming force and force immunity.

Suppressive fire has always cut through shields

Stifling attack has always cut through bednar or crab armor etc.

Just because it has been played incorrectly or someone made an incorrect ruling doesn’t change how it actually works. I know I have designed some abilities that end up working slightly differently.
DarkDracul
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2023 11:00:36 PM

Apologies for any confusion caused; It seems I misinterpreted the card text and relied on an incorrect glossary entry.
I was unaware that responding to taking damage also meant responding to attacks.
During the debut of Suppressive Fire, I was going through a divorce and wasn’t paying attention to overruled glossary entries. I now understand why so many others have made the same mistake.

Regarding Sith Reflexes, I didn't expect it to work against Suppressive Fire, as I believed it would shut off all abilities. Similarly, I didn't think Stifling Attack would interact with Sith Reflexes since I saw it as only responding to attacks, not to taking damage.

My concern is if abilities that respond to taking damage trigger when attacked, could lead to situations where characters like Tulak are hit by an attack, use Sith Reflexes to Teleport away, and then make their SSM save. That contradicts the intended function of Sith Reflexes, which should only trigger "after" actual damage has been taken.

I want to clarify that my mistake was not intentional; I merely seek comprehensive and comprehensible rules. We are a small community of very passionate players, and these rules issues cause unwanted friction among friends. It's essential we have accurate glossary entries to resolve these matters correctly. A heartfelt thank you to the RC for their dedication to making that possible.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 1:34:50 AM

SSM and Sith Reflexes on Tulak work together as you intended, because SSM triggers "when this character is hit", a step before Sith Reflexes which triggers "when this character takes damage". Both of these fall under "responding to attacks" for the purposes of Stifling/Suppressive, but there is a clear order that they take place laid out by Nickname's resolving effects guide. The player must roll their SSM save in step 10, and Sith Reflexes (like Beskar'gam, Damage Reduction, Bodyguard etc) happens in step 11. Step 11 is performed only if damage is going to be applied, which is not the case if you made the SSM save.

However, there is a further question mark. Sith Reflexes is simultaneous with abilities like VCA, Beskar'gam, etc that reduce damage. So, according to one interpretation of the rules, Tulak with VCA 6 from Vergere for example, when hit by a 10 damage attack, could use Sith Reflexes first and still reduce it to zero damage with VCA, since you decide the order of simultaneous effects. (You can do something similar with Spidermando Counter Pushing and then taking zero damage after Beskar 6.) Obviously this is counterintuitive since Sith Reflexes and Counter Push are not meant to work if you don't actually take damage, as you've said. RC is discussing this now, and we'll try to come up with some sort of reasonable ruling that makes best sense of everything.
Overley28
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 9:58:56 AM

Adding on to this but trying to get some clarification on Force Immunity with sith reflexes. Can you use Teleport to move and make an attack against someone with force immunity? Sith reflexes is what is responding to the attack, but is the force power being used also responding to the attack? This adds on to the debate of what is responding to a characters attacks debate going on... To be a little more clear, in force immunity it says you "cannot spend force points to respond to this characters attacks or abilities". Confused if this interferes with spending a force point from sith reflexes.