RegisterDonateLogin

The Force is with Bloo Milk, but it is not a Jedi yet.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Darth Sidious, Sith Emperor Options
Overley28
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2023 8:22:43 AM
Groups: Member

How does the extra characters of Sidious work in a sith squad. Are they considered reinforcements? Do they count for kill points? Even wondering if you can bring in XT droids with him as they have low caste but it doesn't say these count as reinforcements. Low Caste also says cannot be brought in through their abilities, but this is a CE, so assuming you can bring them in through this CE?
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2023 4:01:00 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Here are the balance committee's rulings: https://starfireskee.com/balance-team-changes/

Someone is bound to correct me, but this is my understanding...

-they are not considered reinforcements. The only special rule that triggers on them is the requirement to have your optional character sideboard preselected at squad registration.

-They would therefore not effect Palpatines cost, and they score no victory points when defeated.

-Low caste specifically calls out Reinforcements or Reserves special abilities, of which palps CE is neither, so you should be able to bring the XT in.

gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2023 4:44:00 PM

adamb0nd is correct.
Overley28
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 7:44:05 AM

do these characters come in adjacent to Sidious? Or in the starting zone. If you use sith eternal emperor and switch this Sidious how does that work? I'm assuming in the starting zone?
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 11:51:02 AM

adamb0nd was close, but not entirely correct.

1. They do not count as reinforcements.
2. Your optional character sideboard should be preselected at squad registration.
3. They do not affect Palpatine's cost.
4. They do score victory points when defeated.
5. They do score gambit points.
6. XT-6 Droids may be brought in regardless of Low Caste and Droid.

From the design thread:
Post subject: Re: (Darth Sidious, Sith Emperor /Sith)PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:41 am
"DarkDracul" wrote:
Thanks for the input, I'm advocating for changes based on your comments.
Characters he adds will cost their points and since it's a CE and not a Reinforcements SA he will not lower in cost. (On top of being timed like Reserves)

Post subject: Re: (Darth Sidious, Sith Emperor /Sith)PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:05 am
"FlyingArrow" wrote:
Thanks. That makes sense.
On the CE, it's certainly not a non-starter. It's been done before. Just thinking to avoid future rules questions.

Characters being added to your squad (Porgs) should score victory points when defeated.

The only characters who do not score victory points when defeated are the ones who replaced a defeated enemy.
e.g. Rakghoul Disease, Advanced Rakghoul Disease, Nightsister Zombie, Sith Alchemy, ect.
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 12:27:27 PM

Overley28 wrote:
do these characters come in adjacent to Sidious? Or in the starting zone. If you use sith eternal emperor and switch this Sidious how does that work? I'm assuming in the starting zone?

39 Darth Sidious, Sith Emperor CE - the characters come into the starting zone.
Quote:
If this character is in a Sith squad, at the start of the skirmish, after set-up, you can add up to 20 points of Sith characters to your squad.

Siphon Power - Replace Sith Eternal Emperor with a Palpatine and any start of skirmish instances are resolved.
Quote:
When this character defeats an enemy by using Drain Life 5, you may replace him with a character of equal or lower cost who counts as Palpatine, regardless of faction. Any "at the start of the skirmish" instances are immediately resolved. The chosen replacement gains this character's commander effect and Force Storm 4.

With the current rules, Sith Eternal Emperor (wherever he may be) is replaced by Darth Sidious, Sith Emperor, and the characters he brings in with his CE set up in the starting zone.

However, stay tuned for a glossary entry for Siphon Power. It should address that the replacement character is worth the cost of the original character in victory points if defeated. Also, (I may be wrong) but I think the designers intended the CE characters to come in adjacent to Sideous. I will look into this.

Overley28
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 12:36:14 PM

awesome thank you! I think it would make sense if the CE characters came in adjacent, especially in this scenario but also get why they currently start in the starting zone. This was very helpful!
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 12:45:56 PM

Regarding XTs, wouldn’t you still not be able to bring them in because they are droids and not subject to commander effects?
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 12:52:40 PM

After reading playtest threads, I think it was decided players should not be able to place an Uvak in the center of the map.

This is why we need playtesters!
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 1:00:44 PM

Actually, I don't know . . .

Are you subject to commander effects before you are brought into the squad?

That's a question for Joe.
Overley28
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 2:55:17 PM

Hmm that’s a good question about the droid….not sure..? Also what’s an Uvak?
DarkDracul
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 3:24:23 PM

Overley28 wrote:
Hmm that’s a good question about the droid….not sure..? Also what’s an Uvak?

Skyborn Ranger on Uvak Cost 20 . . . a perfectly designed piece that's not broken at all.
Overley28
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 4:47:44 PM

Ahh I see. So likely they start in starting zone. Anyone have any idea if you can bring in droids through the CE? Or are more sure about where the CE characters are added?
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 6:50:49 PM

You can bring in Droids with the commander effect. It counts as squadbuilding, and as such it affects the player, not the character in particular. This ruling goes back to WOTC Merumeru allowing (Savage) Chewbacca, Enraged Wookiee to be in a Republic squad with his commander effect. It's never been brought up with "reinforcements"-type commander effects before but the same principle should apply.

The Sidious "reinforcements" definitely start in the starting zone.

Also, the jury is still out on whether the Sidious "reinforcements" are worth victory points. The precedent is the Eighth Cortex Shaper, whose "reinforcement" is not worth points, and the BC change to Reinforcements doesn't seem to apply to either one. That's just my opinion though- subject to a RC decision, or a further BC change.
DarkDracul
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 1:37:36 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Also, the jury is still out on whether the Sidious "reinforcements" are worth victory points. The precedent is the Eighth Cortex Shaper, whose "reinforcement" is not worth points, and the BC change to Reinforcements doesn't seem to apply to either one. That's just my opinion though- subject to a RC decision, or a further BC change.

V-Set 13 Queen Allana Solo should be the precedent.

When Tim and I designed Eighth Cortex Shaper on v-set 14. Our goal was to make Unique Vong more competitive by providing a bonus character for them. We felt it was the only way to enhance their gameplay at the time.

We used wording to refer to the bonus character as a "reinforcement" (when reinforcements were free) and created a glossary stating they weren't worth points. This was due to the precedent set by Queen Allana Solo from v-set 13, which does not refer to added characters as reinforcements and is played with the added characters being worth points.

Later when Randy and I designed Darth Sidious, SE on v-set 24 we did not want "free" flying Uvaks going 20 squares and bashing multiple enemies for 50 damage. This was discussed in the playtest thread with TJ who designed Queen Allana Solo. In that thread, I referenced Queen Allana Solo as a precedent for them being worth points.

It seems to me the Eighth Cortex Shaper is the exception to the rule.
I've had a chat with Tim, my co-designer for Eighth Cortex Shaper, and he prefers the original design with the "free" character. I totally respect his viewpoint, and I don't want to get into any heated arguments in the balance committee.

To make things simple, I propose considering characters added through a Commander Effect as worth points by default. Then update the CE for Eighth Cortex Shaper on Bloomilk, removing the part about "reinforcement" and stating that the added character is not worth points.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 4:11:24 AM

It hurts me to rule that Eighth Cortex Shaper and Sidious work differently when they are similar to each other and Allana seems like the odd one out. But since it's designer intent and doesn't contradict any other ruling we've made, I suppose we can go with it. I think we'll skip the errata to the Shaper though. Just keep them as it is and I'll add comments to each character.
Overley28
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 4:41:39 AM

well with reinforcements now, it would seem that the Uvak would be 20 points and sidious be 19 then as the reinforcements are worth points and then decrease the existing character with the reinforcements. Is this correct? Or if you kill sidious and the Uvak are you getting 39 and 20 points respectively?? Also, for the cortex shaper and allana- since these additional characters are not worth victory points, can they score gambit?
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 5:11:46 AM

Reducing the cost of the character bringing other characters in is a Reinforcements-specific thing. Does not apply to anything other than abilities with Reinforcements in their name. So you still get 39pts for killing Sidious.

Characters Allana brings in are worth victory points (corrected comment on her thread) but none of them cost enough to score gambit in a normal game. The character brought in by the Shaper are considered Reinforcements, but not affected by the BC change, so they can't score gambit.
Overley28
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 5:15:11 AM

got it. thanks for the help
DarkDracul
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 7:06:50 AM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
It hurts me to rule that Eighth Cortex Shaper and Sidious work differently when they are similar to each other and Allana seems like the odd one out. But since it's designer intent and doesn't contradict any other ruling we've made, I suppose we can go with it. I think we'll skip the errata to the Shaper though. Just keep them as it is and I'll add comments to each character.

Thanks Joe!
It's not my preference either, but it's probably better to keep to how the characters have been played.