RegisterDonateLogin

The perfect complement to Wookiee Cookiees.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Fringe isn't a faction . . . or is it? Options
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 8:50:25 PM
Groups: Member

Just because, ya know - why not get all the sticky nasty rules questions all out there right now . . .

Always been told "Fringe is not a faction"

Then why have we always played that a Yuuzhan Vong Yammosk War Coordinator vs a Talon Karred squad, can "steal" Talon Karrde's movement CE, and have it apply to its Yuuzhan Vong allies.

Telepathic Insight on the Yammosk War Coordinator:
Quote:
During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you may choose one commander effect. This character gains this commander effect and any faction specific effects become Yuuzhan Vong specific effects.

Talon Karrde's (2nd) CE:
Quote:
Once per round, after initiative is determined, 1 Fringe follower can immediately move up to its Speed before any other character activates.

But - Fringe is not "faction specific"

Yet - we have always played it, and it has been always rued in tournaments, that the Yuuzhan Vong Player may steal Talon Karrde's movement CE, and use it for their Yuuzhan Vong characters.

Paradox ensues . . . Bomb
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 8:51:33 PM

I'm sorry in advance
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 9:41:00 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

The answer is don't believe swinefeld's lies. Fringe is called a faction in the WOTC FAQ and the ruling for the Yammosk makes sense to me.

(Yes, I am joking about swinefeld's lies, but it's legitimate to include Fringe as a faction for some purposes, just maybe not the ones swinefeld was thinking of when he said that.)
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 10:42:54 PM

To clarify further, swinefeld always said in the context of debates about Affinity and Fringe characters that Fringe is not a faction that can be changed via Affinity. The reason for this was that Fringe characters can already be in any squad regardless of Affinity, so Affinity isn't bringing them in and therefore isn't changing their faction.
swinefeld wrote:
This is easily a debatable topic, but it just doesn't make sense that a character that can already be in any squad (with the exception of restrictions, Rival etc) magically stops being Fringe (unaffiliated). Such affiliation belongs on a new version of that character.

It's a Pandora's box that needs to stay closed.

swinefeld wrote:
I am strongly of the opinion that WotC never intended Fringe characters to change faction via Affinity.

I think we have to stick to that ruling, but Fringe can clearly come under the category of faction in some cases. E.g. the WOTC-made ability Mandalorian Conscription has the following glossary:
Quote:
All characters in your squad are considered to belong to the Mandalorian faction for the rest of the skirmish. If they were not already Mandalorian, they no longer have their original faction.

It says "they no longer have their original faction", and this has always been understood as referring to Fringe as well as other factions. So Fringe can be a faction. And certainly is for Telepathic Insight since that's the way it has consistently been ruled.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 10:43:31 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
The answer is don't believe swinefeld's lies. Fringe is called a faction in the WOTC FAQ and the ruling for the Yammosk makes sense to me.

(Yes, I am joking about swinefeld's lies, but it's legitimate to include Fringe as a faction for some purposes, just maybe not the ones swinefeld was thinking of when he said that.)

Ok then next up:

Jawa Warlord:
Quote:
Your squad may only contain 1 non-Unique Droid per faction but may contain non-Unique Droids regardless of faction.

The designer himself said you can have multiple NU Fringe droids, because "Fringe isn't a faction"

. . . is he wrong?
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2023 10:54:55 PM

That Jawa really is a rules nightmare. I am still kicking myself over failing to QC set 24.

But yes, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that Fringe is not a faction for this effect, so it seems only 1 non-Unique Fringe Droid is allowed.
DarkDracul
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 2:31:49 AM

That Jawa really is a rules nightmare. I am still kicking myself over failing to QC set 24.

But yes, there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that Fringe is not a faction for this effect, so it seems only 1 non-Unique Fringe Droid is allowed.

Guess we'll need more proper wording on bloo.

We are not changing how Jawas have played the past YEAR a couple of weeks before Gencon. LOL
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 4:19:50 AM

Since we're planning an errata, was the intent for the Warlord to let you play unlimited NU Droids from your squad's faction as well, or just 1?
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 9:16:42 AM

Will this decision have a significant impact on the Yammosk's ability to steal Talon's +4/+10 commander effect too? I mean, if the 2nd part of his CE (which applies to Fringe characters) can be stolen by the Yammosk, then why can't the first part of his CE too (which requires Fringe characters)? The Yammosk's ability says that faction-specific things become YV for this effect.

This ruling has never made sense to me.

(by the way, I designed JM Gnost Dural's ability to work exactly like the Yammosk's, so what applies to the Yammosk should also apply to Gnost Dural)
Randy
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 10:33:01 AM

Since we're planning an errata, was the intent for the Warlord to let you play unlimited NU Droids from your squad's faction as well, or just 1?

The intent for the Warlord was to allow for a squad of Jawa characters to be able to use any non-unique droids they could. In playtesting it was clear that the Jawa squad was just becoming a Separatist squad. (Which is not what was intended.) The wording on the CE was an attempt to limit the pool, so as to not create a BX-Jawa squad. I like the idea of allowing non-unique characters with different names to be available, but the intent was never to allow multiple copies of the same droid to play in the squad.

The majority of the tech that the Jawas have access to is in the droids. They have no door control, movement braking, bodyguards or cloaking disruption without the use of droid allies. And are limited by not having many droid boosting effects. In order to get Fire Control they must use a CIS droid. That eliminates access to bodyguard or any other tricks found solely on the Separatist market. We were in a time crunch and went with the CE as it is now to try to avoid it being an exclusively Jawa Separatist squad. I wasn't fully happy with the result, but it was moving things in the direction intended.
DarkDracul
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 11:27:43 AM

Just 1 NU Droid per each non-Fringe Faction. Then an unlimited number of NU Fringe Droids.

Something like . . .

Your squad (regardless of faction) may contain only 1 non-Fringe non-Unique Droid per faction.

Your squad may include non-Unique Droids regardless of faction but only 1 non-Fringe non-Unique Droid per faction.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 4:22:33 PM

DarkDracul wrote:
Your squad may include non-Unique Droids regardless of faction but only 1 non-Fringe non-Unique Droid per faction.

That sounds fine to me.
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2023 8:51:36 PM

thereisnotry wrote:
Will this decision have a significant impact on the Yammosk's ability to steal Talon's +4/+10 commander effect too? I mean, if the 2nd part of his CE (which applies to Fringe characters) can be stolen by the Yammosk, then why can't the first part of his CE too (which requires Fringe characters)? The Yammosk's ability says that faction-specific things become YV for this effect.

(by the way, I designed JM Gnost Dural's ability to work exactly like the Yammosk's, so what applies to the Yammosk should also apply to Gnost Dural)

Quote:

Telepathic Insight
(During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you may choose one commander effect. This character gains this commander effect and any faction specific effects become Yuuzhan Vong specific effects.)

Talon's first CE is worded different. "While your squad contains only Fringe characters, allies get +4 Attack and +10 Damage." The first part is a caveat, it does not apply an effect itself. Therefore since obvisously a Yuuzhan Vong Squad is not 100% Fringe (The Yammosk itself isn't) - It nullifies the EFFECT.

The second CE has no caveat. It simply applies an effect, and that effect is for Fringe allies, therefore it becomes Yuuzhan Vong allies. (Now that we know Fringe IS a faction)
thereisnotry
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2023 4:08:38 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:
thereisnotry wrote:

Quote:

Telepathic Insight
(During setup, after seeing your opponent's squad, you may choose one commander effect. This character gains this commander effect and any faction specific effects become Yuuzhan Vong specific effects.)

Talon's first CE is worded different. "While your squad contains only Fringe characters, allies get +4 Attack and +10 Damage." The first part is a caveat, it does not apply an effect itself. Therefore since obvisously a Yuuzhan Vong Squad is not 100% Fringe (The Yammosk itself isn't) - It nullifies the EFFECT.

The second CE has no caveat. It simply applies an effect, and that effect is for Fringe allies, therefore it becomes Yuuzhan Vong allies. (Now that we know Fringe IS a faction)

For years and years now, whenever I've seen a Talon-vs-Vong matchup, the Yammosk has stolen Talon's free movement CE. Perhaps we've been playing that wrong all along, and only now (since we now know that Fringe is a faction) is it correct to play it that way?

I always thought that TI changed the faction in the CEs to be Vong...and therefore, I understood that the reason why the Yammosk couldn't steal Talon's +4/+10 CE was simply because Fringe wasn't a faction and therefore there was nothing to turn to YV in the first part of Talon's CE. (Therefore, if a hypothetical CE said, "While your squad contains only Rebel characters, allies get..." the Yammosk would be able to copy that CE.)
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2023 4:24:39 PM

This has been an argument I have been saying for years. It Makes No Sense!!

If Fringe is a faction, by WOTC rule, then the first part of Talon's CE would, in fact, translate to Vong

"If your squad contains all Fringe characters" would then only make sense to read, "If your squad contains all Yuuzhan Vong characters, etc, etc.

It literally works for every other "Faction" CE the Yammosk can take.
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2023 4:28:19 PM

Quote:

I always thought that TI changed the faction in the CEs to be Vong...and therefore, I understood that the reason why the Yammosk couldn't steal Talon's +4/+10 CE was simply because Fringe wasn't a faction and therefore there was nothing to turn to YV in the first part of Talon's CE. (Therefore, if a hypothetical CE said, "While your squad contains only Rebel characters, allies get..." the Yammosk would be able to copy that CE.)

This was the exact reason I was told why It didn't work, not the wording, but that Fringe was not a Faction.

Fringe was treated like "Commando" or "Pilot"
urbanjedi
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2023 5:26:17 PM

TimmerB123 wrote:

Quote:

Telepathic Insight

Tim is correct. It is worded slightly differently and very similar to how Mas cannot extend GOWK's CE or the Twilek Jedi General CE.

If it helps think of it like this

While your squad contains only Fringe characters, Fringe allies get +4 Attack and +10 Damage. ( added the bold)

If it was worded like the above (my wording and you stole it with a yammosk) it would look like the following

While your squad contains only Fringe characters, Vong allies get +4 Attack and +10 Damage. (bold also by me)
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2023 5:29:31 PM

Shawn, if that was the exact reason you were told, then that person was incorrect. The ruling on stealing Talon's first vs. second CE has consistently had the same explanation every time it was ruled. (For precision's sake, it's not that the Yammosk can't steal Talon's first CE- it just doesn't do anything, because not all characters in your squad are Fringe.) The reasoning is that only faction-specific *restrictions* (e.g. New Republic allies gain X) are changed to Yuuzhan Vong, and faction-specific *conditions* (e.g. While all allies are New Republic, allies gain X) are not. I agree that this seems like a somewhat arbitrary distinction which is not necessarily clear in the actual text of Telepathic Insight, but on the other hand it has been the consistent ruling since the interaction first existed. It's ruled to work the same way as Booming Voice, which changes range 6 to unlimited range, but only the restriction, not the condition e.g. GOWK.

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14113

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14242
Caedus
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2023 6:20:21 PM

urbanjedi wrote:
TimmerB123 wrote:

Quote:

Telepathic Insight

Tim is correct. It is worded slightly differently and very similar to how Mas cannot extend GOWK's CE or the Twilek Jedi General CE.

If it helps think of it like this

While your squad contains only Fringe characters, Fringe allies get +4 Attack and +10 Damage. ( added the bold)

If it was worded like the above (my wording and you stole it with a yammosk) it would look like the following

While your squad contains only Fringe characters, Vong allies get +4 Attack and +10 Damage. (bold also by me)

ANY is the key Word. If Fringe is indeed a Faction, Absolutely not. If Fringe is INDEED a faction it would read "While your squad contains only Yuuzhan Vong Characters, Yuuzhan Vong allies get +4/ +10 because any use of Fringe would be Faction specific

If Fringe is INDEED a faction all instances of Fringe would change to YV otherwise it makes NO SENSE

If it were "While you squad contains only Pilots or Bad Batch or Order 66 or Commandos, then yes I would need to meet that stipulation, because none of those are factions, but to say Fringe is a Faction, but not for this is Mind Boggling??
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2023 6:33:59 PM

Fringe is a faction for this too. If the CE was "If all allies are New Republic", it wouldn't change to "If all allies are Yuuzhan Vong" when the Yammosk takes it. Telepathic Insight just doesn't change that part of a CE.