RegisterDonateLogin

You can't win, but there are alternatives to drinking.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

2023 Vassal Con Dates Options
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, July 26, 2023 4:21:17 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Hi everyone!

Sorry to keep you in suspense, but the run-up to Gen Con has been crazy this year. Anyway, I just wanted to announce that we have dates for this year's Vassal Con, and they are: September 7-10. I know these dates won't work for everyone, but hopefully we can have another great crowd this year!

I will make another announcement about the event schedule (and plea for help running things) after we have that ironed out (read: after Gen Con).

Until then, those of you who can't make it in person, start thinking about what you might like to play for the Champs on Saturday. This should be a lot of fun!
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, August 2, 2023 6:49:44 PM
Groups: Member

FYI, the Vassal mod has been updated to include all of the cards of V-Set 25, which Randy recently mailed out to everyone.

All Vassal Con players should be sure to download this new updated version before the event starts, since (among other things) it includes an updated version of the Mushroom Planet map: the green lines (low objects) are now much clearer than they were before, and this could be a factor in our various Vassal Con tournaments. There are other updates too.

Please see my most recent post in the SWM Vassal Mod UPDATE: version 2.0 thread for more details.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 11:09:39 AM

Will V-set 25 be legal for VassalCon?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 12:40:58 PM

For consistency's sake, V-set 25's main set will not be legal for the championships. Just like at Gen Con, the subset WILL be legal.

Those of you who plan to build with the new stuff, take care that you're limiting yourself to the subset.

However, we will be doing a tourney featuring V-set 25.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 7:41:02 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:
For consistency's sake, V-set 25's main set will not be legal for the championships. Just like at Gen Con, the subset WILL be legal.

Those of you who plan to build with the new stuff, take care that you're limiting yourself to the subset.

However, we will be doing a tourney featuring V-set 25.

Great, thank you!
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 9:24:17 AM

Trying to get a sense of numbers for the Champs at VassalCon. If you are planning to play, please either post here or BM me.

The Champs will likely begin at 3 p.m. Central time on Saturday, September 9.

I hope to have more details on events by this weekend at the latest.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 11:13:33 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:
Trying to get a sense of numbers for the Champs at VassalCon. If you are planning to play, please either post here or BM me.

In
thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 11:41:25 AM

UrbanShmi wrote:

I'm playing too. For sure.

But I'm not a fan of starting at 3pm central. If our NZ friends join us then it's worth it, but let's just recognize that a Finals match being played in the wee hours of the morning (for folks in North America) is a really bad idea. So if we have a late start for the Championship, can we perhaps have the option to hold the Finals (or perhaps even Semi-Finals) match(es) on a later date, perhaps Sunday afternoon?
spryguy1981
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 11:50:45 AM

I'd need to start no earlier than 4 EST but preferably 430 as we're driving on our vacation that day. Definitely wouldn't be able to participate if it starts any earlier. Unless Friday evening would work. I agree that top 6 could be played on Sunday or if the player who make it want to play that evening that would work too. I'm honestly in favor of a Friday start but that's my preference.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 11:56:15 AM

We do recognize that the finals going so late last year was a big problem for many people, not least the players. The issue with scheduling the finals for Sunday morning is that I will be working that day and won't be able to run things. But I guess that's a fairly minor issue (unless I make the finals lol).

We obviously want everyone to be able to play, but we do have to think about the logistics, so we're open to different scheduling options.

How WOULD people feel about a Friday champs instead of Saturday? I feel like that will be better for some and worse for others, but might as well get a sense.

thereisnotry
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 12:14:06 PM

I've booked each of these days off from work, so the day of the Championship itself doesn't matter to me and I'll be happy to play on whatever day works best for the most people...the more players we have in the Championship, the better.

The timing does matter to me, as I've described.
Randy
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 12:15:42 PM

I will be playing. It gets me out of 2 different things that I don't want to do that weekend.

If the finals are on Sunday, that would be Monday for the other side of the world, so...

I am okay with Friday.
Caedus
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 2:12:54 PM

UrbanShmi wrote:

Front and Center

It guess really depends on Attendance and what the number of rounds will be. If it puts someone at a disadvantage, maybe it should be split days between Swiss and Semis/Finals. I would hate to play at 2am or later here. If the attendance warrants 5 rounds of Swiss and a top 6 cut, you're talking about midnight at least until Semis and Finals with 3 am or later until done.

Whatever is best a most agreeable, as always.
gholli69
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 2:17:02 PM

Hopefully I will be playing, but the chances go way down if champs are on Friday as I will have to work.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 3:31:35 PM

I hope to play as well. Might be able to swing Friday, but Saturday is for sure good for me.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 3:45:43 PM

I'll be playing again this year. Friday vs Saturday (Central time) is indifferent to me. Of the options proposed, obviously I would prefer to start in the afternoon (Central time) and then have the final and semifinals on another day as needed. Ironically it was me asking for the final to be postponed last year and not the people staying up past 1am. If the event needs to start in the morning (Central time), though, I could roll with that, personally.
TimmerB123
Posted: Wednesday, August 9, 2023 7:30:59 PM

I have already requested off Saturday since that’s what was stated. I do not have Friday off.

I might be able to switch if I absolutely had to but I would need to know absolutely ASAP
UrbanShmi
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2023 1:53:47 AM

So that's at least two people (Greg and Tim) who need Saturday. Most everybody else has no clear preference. That being the case, I think we leave it on Saturday (sorry).

As to the time, if Joe is cool with starting earlier and no other Kiwis have spoken up, I think we might be able to start a little earlier as well. We will get that ironed out and announce at least the champs asap.
spryguy1981
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2023 3:01:03 AM

If it starts earlier than 4est I can't participate. 4 is pushing it, but I can take a bye or a single loss.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, August 10, 2023 4:32:56 AM

Thanks, Laura! BlooMilk

And Spry...just drive faster! Priorities, priorities! BigGrin LOL