RegisterDonateLogin

Has never underestimated the power of the Dark Side.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Best cost efficient force user (non-VR) Options
Mango
Posted: Friday, October 6, 2023 1:20:45 PM
Groups: Member

Hey guys,

Still learning here so pardon me if my question sounds stupid.

As I am building my collection what would you say is the force user piece with the best output overall (HP, Defense, Attack, Damage) for the cheapest cost points to field from non-VR sets?

I see for example Luke Rebel Commando has extremely high votes!

Thanks a lot!
Cheers,

MThumpUp
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, October 6, 2023 2:16:12 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Since you're talking about building your collection, I assume you're talking about WotC pieces only (no Vsets).

Strongest non-VR Force users:

General Obi-Wan Kenobi
General Skywalker
Jarael
Jedi Battlemaster
Jedi Weapon Master
Princess Leia
Mara Jade, Jedi
Arica
Anakin Solo

That's probably it for non-VR Force users that are playable in a competitive tournament. Each of those can be found in a top-tier squad.

Top piece overall and best defensive piece: GOWK
Top offensive piece: Mara Jade, Jedi
Top support piece: Princess Leia

Arica and Jarael are both options to play in conjunction with Thrawn (Mitthrawn). Thrawn-swap is probably the top overall squad from the WotC era, but there are several others that compete with it. Black-n-Blue is a squad using Thrawn and Vader, and there were several versions. The latest version of that was Thrawn (Mitthrawn) with Lord Vader, and Jarael is a viable option for a swapper and secondary attacker in that squad. Stealth-n-Blue uses Thrawn with Stealth shooters, Cad Bane and Arica, instead of a Vader.
Cassus fett
Posted: Friday, October 6, 2023 3:17:22 PM

It’s essentially always been Jedi Weapon Master from Champions of the Force. He was accidentally broken because he was originally designed as a Unique piece Cin Drallig, the prequel era weapon master. At some point he was changed to a non-unique and somehow never recosted. It was a double edged sword, a usable (read fantastic), efficient, melee piece that’s great. Unfortunately he was in Republic, who had Doombot and with CotF Mas Ameeda, so he quickly became the only logical choice between 20-30 points. One of the top squads for the longest time in 150 was (and I’m running on memory), Boba Fett, bounty Hunter, 2 Jedi Weapon Masters, Doombot, Lobot.

Rebel Commando Luke is great, levitation is a hugely impactful power. Ganner Rhysode in New Republic is highly rated for the same reason but he’s VR and from MOTF so you’ll be paying an arm and a leg for him money wise.

Otherwise I definitely agree on Mara Jedi. GOWK is kind of cheating as he totally would’ve been a VR, but was from a starter set. I can’t deny he’s good though, and since he’s from a starter, he should be easy to track down, they made a million of those CW starters.
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, October 6, 2023 8:55:00 PM

At some point GOWK was banned from competitive play during the WOTC era because the only squads that could consistently beat him were those specifically designed to counter him. the competitive game had become almost entirely GOWK squads and anti-GOWK squads. I don't recall if that ban was lifted by WOTC, or occurred later during the V-set eras.

I mention that because GOWK is next level and may be unbalanced in casual play.
Cassus fett
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2023 10:37:25 AM

BTW, if you're looking to buy check out imyurhukaberry's sell page. His prices are phenomenal especially if you live in the states and he's got a lot of great stuff.
Cassus fett
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2023 10:42:28 AM

adamb0nd wrote:
At some point GOWK was banned from competitive play during the WOTC era because the only squads that could consistently beat him were those specifically designed to counter him. the competitive game had become almost entirely GOWK squads and anti-GOWK squads. I don't recall if that ban was lifted by WOTC, or occurred later during the V-set eras.

I mention that because GOWK is next level and may be unbalanced in casual play.

What was the GOWK hate squad(s) I can't seem to recall. It wasn't Lancer was it?
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2023 10:58:44 AM

I don't recall specifically, but I think it was direct damage abilities and force powers that didn't bother with attacks.
adamb0nd
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2023 11:05:16 AM

Looks like at some point they brought him back but put an errata on SSM to only work against non-melee attacks.
Cassus fett
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2023 11:50:20 AM

adamb0nd wrote:
Looks like at some point they brought him back but put an errata on SSM to only work against non-melee attacks.

Yep I remember finding that out years later. When we had a strong local play group we'd play the errata version for Flobi, since the errata was to SSM. Nowadays, eh who cares, easiest to play card text version.

Auto damage against GOWK sounds right now that you say it. At games end I think its was Rebel push squads. I imagine Imperial or Sith lightning would work too.
thereisnotry
Posted: Thursday, October 12, 2023 2:39:34 PM

The Rebels had Mobile Force Push: Luke Hoth Pilot Unleashed and Vader's Apprentice Redeemed both have Force Push 4. Then there was also Yoda as a Force Battery, Rieekan for Mobile Attack, and Dodonna because Rebels. There was more than that too, but this was the core of the squad. James Wys won multiple Regional tournaments with this squad.
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2023 9:13:26 AM

For the low cost of 12 force points, you too can force pummel GOWK into oblivion.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2023 9:41:59 AM

adamb0nd wrote:

IIRC...

He was very briefly banned and then came back with non-melee only errata. At that point, the card, the glossary, and the errata were all different. The card says all attacks. The physical glossary (Clone Wars rulebook) says SSM works on melee only, but it was never played that way. At the time, the official rule was nonmelee-only.

Eventually, GOWK and SSM went back to the card definition instead of the nonmelee-only version. The final WotC errata does not mention the nonmelee-only version. So maybe WotC put him back to normal before the game officially ended. But I thought he came back during the Vset era. Maybe the SSM nonmelee-only version was a floor rule that was only in effect for tournaments. If so, it wouldn't have ever been in the glossary. I'm not sure on the timing there.
Cassus fett
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2023 11:13:23 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
adamb0nd wrote:

IIRC...

He was very briefly banned and then came back with non-melee only errata. At that point, the card, the glossary, and the errata were all different. The card says all attacks. The physical glossary (Clone Wars rulebook) says SSM works on melee only, but it was never played that way. At the time, the official rule was nonmelee-only.

Eventually, GOWK and SSM went back to the card definition instead of the nonmelee-only version. The final WotC errata does not mention the nonmelee-only version. So maybe WotC put him back to normal before the game officially ended. But I thought he came back during the Vset era. Maybe the SSM nonmelee-only version was a floor rule that was only in effect for tournaments. If so, it wouldn't have ever been in the glossary. I'm not sure on the timing there.

No way! Does the CW rulebook really say SSM is for melee attacks only??? That's wild.
adamb0nd
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2023 11:27:10 AM

Quote:
Soresu Style Mastery: When this character is hit by a melee attack, it takes no damage with a save of 11.

Very odd. From the CW rules. Per that writing, it was basically Makashi Mastery without the immunity to other styles.

Cassus fett
Posted: Friday, October 13, 2023 11:33:44 AM

adamb0nd wrote:
Quote:
Soresu Style Mastery: When this character is hit by a melee attack, it takes no damage with a save of 11.

Very odd. From the CW rules. Per that writing, it was basically Makashi Mastery without the immunity to other styles.

WOW! Someone goofed big time there. Not even close to card text.