RegisterDonateLogin

That thing's operational!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Riddle me this Rules peoples and officionados?!?!?!?! Options
Caedus
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2024 7:00:24 PM
Groups: Member

I have a character that has Savage, Mercenary and Charging Assault +10..., seriously. Mercenary says, he can't move if he can attack from his starting spot. Savage says, he must end his movement adjacent to an enemy. This is Charging Assault +10 Instead of taking its normal turn, this character can move up to twice its speed and, after moving, make an attack on the same turn against an adjacent enemy. It must move at least 1 square to use this special ability. This attack gets a +10 bonus to Damage.

My questions are... Does he NOT move due to Mercenary? MUST he move due to Savage? Can he replace turn and Charging Assault +10

Kind of need it to be an official type ruling
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2024 11:01:08 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Mercenary "trumps" Savage. Because Savage only requires the character to end its move adjacent to an enemy if it can do so. But if your character has Mercenary, and it has a legal target to attack, then it can't move, so it is exempted from that part of Savage. It can't use Charging Assault +10 either if it can attack a target, since Charging Assault necessarily requires movement.

The bit about Mercenary and Savage is not technically an "official" ruling, but it's how the question has been answered on both occasions it was asked before in the rules forum. I will see if anyone in the rules committee thinks differently. If not, then we will make it official.
Caedus
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2024 6:52:27 PM

gandalfthegreatestwizard wrote:
Mercenary "trumps" Savage. Because Savage only requires the character to end its move adjacent to an enemy if it can do so. But if your character has Mercenary, and it has a legal target to attack, then it can't move, so it is exempted from that part of Savage. It can't use Charging Assault +10 either if it can attack a target, since Charging Assault necessarily requires movement.

The bit about Mercenary and Savage is not technically an "official" ruling, but it's how the question has been answered on both occasions it was asked before in the rules forum. I will see if anyone in the rules committee thinks differently. If not, then we will make it official.

My follow-up to this is, but Charging Assault +10 "replaces turn" So Mercenary also applies to this?
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2024 8:22:06 PM

Caedus wrote:

My follow-up to this is, but Charging Assault +10 "replaces turn" So Mercenary also applies to this?

This one's from the WoTC FAQ, and would apply to Charging Assault the same;

Quote:
Q: When a character with Mercenary gains Furious Assault, can he use it if he starts in a square
where he can make an attack?

A: No. The character would only be able to use Furious Assault when the Mercenary restriction is not
applicable.
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2024 8:38:08 PM

I'm trying to understand this logic.

Here's the glossary for quick reference.

Quote:

This character can move only if it has no legal targets to attack from the space where it starts its move. (However, if it first defeats an enemy with a single attack and cannot then attack any others, it is free to move afterward.) If it moves into a position where it can attack, it does not have to end its movement there.

Furious assault's (and through extension, Charging Assault's) official ruling doesn't make sense to me. In order to trigger those abilities, you have to -

-Check for movement requirements (1 square of legal space available)
-Replace your turn and declare the ability's use.
-Move at least 1 square.
-Proceed to attacks and targeting.

After you replace it's turn, that character cannot attack and has no legal targets until it moves at least 1 square from it's starting square.

We know that intuition works with Mercenary because of the Gotal Merc. It can't attack when intuition triggers, and so Merc doesn't restrict movement. Why wouldn't that logic apply here?
adamb0nd
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2024 8:41:04 PM

I think I answered my own question- it prevents those Assault abilities from working because when checking for that required 1 square of movement, it's illegal because Merc prevents it. So there is no 1 square of movement to move on to replacing your turn.

DID I DO IT?
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2024 12:56:51 AM

yes, that is correct. for Furious Assault and Charging Assault, you have to be able to move as a precondition for triggering the ability. if you're stuck in place because of Mercenary (or another ability, like Clamp or Emplacement for example, or if you have no legal square to move to) you simply cannot use those abilities.

Savage only requires the character to end its move adjacent to an enemy if it can do so. But if your character has Mercenary, and it has a legal target to attack, then it can't move, so it is exempted from that part of Savage. It can't use Charging Assault +10 either if it can attack a target, since Charging Assault necessarily requires movement.

the rules committee has spoken, this is our official ruling.
Caedus
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2024 7:04:28 PM

yes, that is correct. for Furious Assault and Charging Assault, you have to be able to move as a precondition for triggering the ability. if you're stuck in place because of Mercenary (or another ability, like Clamp or Emplacement for example, or if you have no legal square to move to) you simply cannot use those abilities.

Savage only requires the character to end its move adjacent to an enemy if it can do so. But if your character has Mercenary, and it has a legal target to attack, then it can't move, so it is exempted from that part of Savage. It can't use Charging Assault +10 either if it can attack a target, since Charging Assault necessarily requires movement.

the rules committee has spoken, this is our official ruling.

Thank you