RegisterDonateLogin

Never tells you the odds.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Tribal Intervention Options
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 10:01:23 AM
Groups: Member

Quote:
Tribe Intervention (The first time this character's hit points are reduced to half or less, up to 3 Mandalorian allies may move up to double their Speed without provoking attacks of opportunity, then an ally within 6 squares may make an immediate attack)

For the immediate attack that is given, does this have to be a Mandalorian ally?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 10:14:27 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

No. But you do have to do the first part first.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 10:18:30 AM

So if there are no Mandalorian allies do you lose the immediate attack since the first part never happens?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 10:20:13 AM

Correct. Someone else can correct me, but usually when there's a "Then" in an ability, whatever comes before the "then" has to happen.
N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 10:27:35 AM

Quote:
up to 3 Mandalorian allies

This makes me think you could choose 0 even if you had allies and still get the attack. I am not sure that is different than not having any eligible allies and still choosing 0.

The "then" part makes sense, but since the first part is optional is where I am getting tripped up.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 10:48:45 AM

I just went through the design thread to be sure. Swinefeld (the previous "rules dude") specifically added the then to clarify that the movement comes before the attack. So that's about as definitive as it's going to get.

N3rdSl4y3r
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 12:42:42 PM

So does that mean in order to get the immediate attack, I would need to move at least one Mandalorian ally at least one square?
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 1:11:31 PM

Yep.
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 1:55:30 PM

My understanding is that both the movement and the attack are optional (both include "may"). The "then" addition is purely a clarification about the order- if you're going to do both, you have to do all the movement first. I don't think the designers wanted it to be like Charging or Furious Assault (movement required for attack)- because they made the attack for any ally so you could use it in a Fringe squad without any Mandalorian allies. I could be wrong.

Edit: There are some abilities that use the same wording (i.e. can followed by then) where both parts are optional. E.g. Rolling Cleave (see the FAQ).
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 1:59:04 PM

Hmm. That's a good point. But even at the time, there were Fringe allies with Mandalorian (Mira of Nar Shaddaa).
gandalfthegreatestwizard
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 2:12:51 PM

That's true. The specific comment that preceded the change to Tribe Intervention was this:

Quote:
I don't want him to be completely shoehorned into Mandalorian squads. He should be able to play in Fringe squads, too. What if we flip-flopped the Mandalorian requirement on Tribe Intervention? The moving characters have to be Mandalorian, but the free shot goes to any ally?

At that stage, there was no "then" anyway. Designers originally had an "and" between the two parts, so it was clear that both were separate and you didn't need to do one to do the other. So I don't think the designers were thinking specifically about Fringe squads with Mira of NS or Rohlan Dyre. swinefeld added "then" in QC, but it seems to me that all he wanted to do was make the order of effects clear. So since the "then" wording doesn't necessarily mean the first part is mandatory, as in Rolling Cleave, I think we could rule both parts as optional.
UrbanShmi
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 3:12:14 PM

Ok. I don't think it's abusive either way.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 5:54:38 PM

Both parts are optional, and you can do one without the other. But if you do both parts the movement has to come first.