RegisterDonateLogin

Available at your local Tosche Station (in the Power Converter aisle).

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Cherry Picking Options
swmimperial130
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:11:10 AM
Groups: Member

This is basically the same thread that Uggie Demo started.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:59:17 AM

why was it deleted?
saeseetiin
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:06:40 PM

No reason ugg demo just felt like it was his thread so I what can you do.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:48:06 PM

like I said before, Bill had some good points.
he gave an example as to why us Cherry pickers might want to re think it.
he said we would be displeased if a store had done that to us, and i think thats pretty accurate.
he also said it had similarities to insider trading, which in a sense, would make cherry pickers "out side traders". which makes us more culpable for the act.
I say us because i have been known to Pick, having 50/50 results with the process, with NO scales and booster mashing.
another thing, there was no arguing on the previous thread, so we should keep it the same for imps thread as well.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:36:06 PM

saeseetiin wrote:
No reason ugg demo just felt like it was his thread so I what can you do.

it was starting to envole into an argument, so I deleted it.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:07:50 PM

Uggie Demo wrote:

it was starting to envole into an argument, so I deleted it.

It's still no reason to have deleted it.

Think of the topic as a conversation you started at a social event. The conversation has now moved to a different topic that does not hold your interest. Generally the appropriate responses would be to just listen for a while until the conversation goes back to something you want to talk about or to excuse yourself from the conversation and go mingle elsewhere. Abruptly deleting the topic is akin to flipping the table over and yelling "This conversation's over!" before walking away.
DarthJak
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:14:50 PM

you vill post my vay!
or you vill go to the Eastern front
Eroschilles
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 3:18:24 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I don't vanna go to zee eastern front. Es ist sehr kalt!
swinefeld
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 4:05:35 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is Dave, and I am a recovering cherry-picker BlooMilk

Who happens to be mildly irked that I apparently missed a good bit of a "lively" conversation that I participated in early in the original thread.

I guess that's what I get for playing minis all day. I suppose I'll get over it RollEyes

GAW Tip: The heavier ones have the big droids in them. Duh. Tongue
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:48:12 PM

DarthJak wrote:
you vill post my vay!
or you vill go to the Eastern front
LOL
DarthJak
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:01:30 AM

swinefeld wrote:
Hello everyone,

HI DAVE!
swmimperial130
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 6:41:57 AM

DarthJak wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Hello everyone,

HI DAVE!

Hi little people in daves head.......
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:49:45 AM

Well, the conversation was not turning into a fight, but I am not sure it's worth regurgitating several different posts I made in it either. To sum it up, I believe Cherry Picking in most cases is the same as stealing. It's a selfish act, and it most often is a bad thing for the community. I can make arguments against that as well, but I am generalizing here.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:02:02 AM

swinefeld wrote:
Hello everyone,

Who happens to be mildly irked that I apparently missed a good bit of a "lively" conversation that I participated in early in the original thread.

I guess that's what I get for playing minis all day. I suppose I'll get over it RollEyes

Look I'am sorry to upset you, but I'm the kinda person that has an opprotunity to prevent an end to an argument I will
mercenary_moose
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 8:34:49 AM

I have found cherry-picking to be pretty unreliable. You're taking the chance with your $15 or $20 that the big thing you feel is something good, but how do you really know that it's the uber piece you want? There are some other physically big minis out there that just plain suck that you might pull. That heavy thing at the bottom of your IE pack might be a Potty Palps, or it could be a Bacta Tank. More often than not, it'll be the Bacta Tank. I knew a player at the LGS who wanted to cherry-pick a Palpatine so badly out of IE that he bought every heavy booster he saw. In the end, he spent $90 on six packs to end up with 6 Tanks. That's three times more than what he could have paid for a single Palps.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:36:16 AM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

mercenary_moose wrote:
I have found cherry-picking to be pretty unreliable. You're taking the chance with your $15 or $20 that the big thing you feel is something good, but how do you really know that it's the uber piece you want? There are some other physically big minis out there that just plain suck that you might pull. That heavy thing at the bottom of your IE pack might be a Potty Palps, or it could be a Bacta Tank. More often than not, it'll be the Bacta Tank. I knew a player at the LGS who wanted to cherry-pick a Palpatine so badly out of IE that he bought every heavy booster he saw. In the end, he spent $90 on six packs to end up with 6 Tanks. That's three times more than what he could have paid for a single Palps.

Which is exactly why I would never equate it to stealing.
Mickey
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 10:53:14 AM

I find buying boosters not in a case where I know what everything will be with the exception of half the VRs a waste myself Woot I think everyone who has the funds should buy one case then you only have 4 to find. Those 4 give us incentive to get to the LGS to play besides having fun. Well after yesterday we are down to 1 but I'm still going to Owensboro barring any natural disasters even if I trade for that one before then ThumbsUp

I will amend my exacto knife/super glue method to bringing your own psychic along. Who cares you will pay more for their time than what you will for the booster. At least you will get the fig you need! All kidding aside I see no problem with trying to guess what is in the package as long as you do not do anything illegal like tampering with it to the point it can not be sold. Who has not tried to guess what was in the Christmas presents?

I also agree with Uggo. If a flame thread had erupted and nothing useful was being discussed it is nothing a moderator should not be expected to do.
swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:40:56 AM

Mickey wrote:
I find buying boosters not in a case where I know what everything will be with the exception of half the VRs a waste myself Woot I think everyone who has the funds should buy one case then you only have 4 to find. Those 4 give us incentive to get to the LGS to play besides having fun. Well after yesterday we are down to 1 but I'm still going to Owensboro barring any natural disasters even if I trade for that one before then ThumbsUp

I will amend my exacto knife/super glue method to bringing your own psychic along. Who cares you will pay more for their time than what you will for the booster. At least you will get the fig you need! All kidding aside I see no problem with trying to guess what is in the package as long as you do not do anything illegal like tampering with it to the point it can not be sold. Who has not tried to guess what was in the Christmas presents?

I also agree with Uggo. If a flame thread had erupted and nothing useful was being discussed it is nothing a moderator should not be expected to do.

Uggie Demo is not a moderator (as far as I am aware). He was the thread starter. My personal opinion is that if you start a public thread, and anyone responds, then you don't really own it anymore, and if someone is going to take action on posts made by anyone else, it should be done by a mod. Whatever.

I expressed some mild discontent (in a rather tongue-in-cheek manner I might add) that I missed some supposed arguing/fighting that was going on. Again, whatever. We're trying to have a conversation about "cherry-picking" boosters, and whether it is a morally questionable act. Many have posted that it is totally unreliable. I concur with that assessment based on my own experience, with a couple obvious exceptions which I believe I noted in my last post on the now deleted thread.

When I last saw the original thread, there was no fighting going on. I'm curious as to what happened. Apparently, no moderators stepped in but Uggie Demo decided to end it. I was not aware that was an option. I can't clean up the events thread I post up for our LGS each month, so I start a new one each month so it doesn't stretch on for many pages of mundane banter and small questions.

I would appreciate if a mod can explain to me how a topic starter goes about deleting an entire thread. I've checked in several forums where I've started threads and I can't delete other users' posts.

swinefeld
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:43:51 PM

Uggie Demo wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Hello everyone,

Look I'am sorry to upset you, but I'm the kinda person that has an opprotunity to prevent an end to an argument I will

Oh, and just to be clear Uggie, I'm really not upset BlooMilk

As far as "preventing an end to an argument", I guess we'll have to see whether one starts up here Smile
swmimperial130
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:44:58 PM

swinefeld wrote:
Uggie Demo wrote:
swinefeld wrote:
Hello everyone,

Oh, and just to be clear Uggie, I'm really not upset BlooMilk

As far as "preventing an end to an argument", I guess we'll have to see whether one starts up here Smile

Besides, I'm the only one that can end this thread (but I won't)