RegisterDonateLogin

If you've never had Bloo Milk before, you won't have never had it again.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : I think its a 17 pt peice of crap
Choice Votes Statistics
its good and you would use it 25 37.878787 %
its crap you would never use it 41 62.121212 %

commando droid Options
saeseetiin
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:38:23 AM
Groups: Member

Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:07:34 PM

squad fire power is nice and all, but i see the commandos being used for fun more then anything else. not very competitive.
but the Commando Droid capt? very Competitive, and a ton of fun, especially if you are using MOUSE DROIDS THAT SHOOT! (yea, iknow, they cantCursing )
im trying to get 10 of them, i already have 6.
saeseetiin
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:10:45 PM

yea the captain is good but the regular commando droid I think 17 pts is better spent on IG-86. 30 hp is bad for 17 pts.
juice man
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:20:54 PM

IG-86 all the way.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 12:41:20 PM

saeseetiin wrote:
yea the captain is good but the regular commando droid I think 17 pts is better spent on IG-86. 30 hp is bad for 17 pts.

agreed
Jediabiwan
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:36:19 PM

Strange how all the comments are about how they aren't that great, but the poll says they are useful. I have to agree with the opinion that they aren't great, but everyone likes different pieces.
IG-108
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:11:33 PM

I'll definantly be using the Commando droids for fun. Especially for a themed squad. The captain definantly has more competitive uses though.
slvader77
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:13:12 PM

I think he sucks x2
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 2:59:18 PM

I'm not a big fan of the Commando Droid either, but boy, talk about an explosive house of cards! Here's an example:

Grievous SotJ 63pts
BDS 15pts
BDO 8pts.
Commando Droid Cpt. 23pts
Commando Droid x4 64pts.
Gha Nacht 12pts.
Mouse Droid x6 12pts
Uggie Demo 3pts.

200 pts. and 16 activations

Commando Droids in this build can potentially hit 6 times at +15atk for up to 180 dmg.

It's a shame the droids are so fragile.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:42:24 PM

They're decent minis, but not truly commandos. I'd still be using my IG-86s (that is, if I ever play my Seppies)
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:16:28 PM

mercenary_moose wrote:
They're decent minis, but not truly commandos. I'd still be using my IG-86s (that is, if I ever play my Seppies)

i wont waste the points for squad fire power. id just go for my fire power with 2 HK 50s instead.
Sinister
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:59:42 PM

Rabid Wookiee wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the Commando Droid either, but boy, talk about an explosive house of cards! Here's an example:

Grievous SotJ 63pts
BDS 15pts
Commando Droid Cpt. 23pts
Commando Droid x4 64pts.
Gha Nacht 12pts.
Mouse Droid x10 20pts
Uggie Demo 3pts.

200 pts. and 19 activations

Commando Droids in this build can potentially hit 6 times at +11atk for up to 180 dmg.

It's a shame the droids are so fragile.

Why not drop the Commandos and 2 Mouse Droids to add 3 IG-86 and Loathsom.
At leat this way you got 20 Damage all the time and some other Minis will get Twin as well.
Draconarius
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 12:46:00 AM

Sinister wrote:

At leat this way you got 20 Damage all the time and some other Minis will get Twin as well.

Which is why the Commando Droids are simply an utter FAIL. Why on earth, given the choice, would you use them when an IG-86 is harder to kill, more powerful, more reliable, subject to the same CEs/Abilities and is exactly the same cost?
IG-108
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:43:09 AM

Draconarius wrote:
Sinister wrote:

Which is why the Commando Droids are simply an utter FAIL. Why on earth, given the choice, would you use them when an IG-86 is harder to kill, more powerful, more reliable, subject to the same CEs/Abilities and is exactly the same cost?

If they're so bad, there's a simple solution to this:
Don't use them competitively! Geeze.
Just use them for fun every once in a while. That's what I plan on doing. I know that the IG-86s are better for their cost, so I'd use them in a tournament. But for just a fun match, I might use Commando Droids.
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 4:04:35 AM

IG-108 wrote:
Draconarius wrote:
Sinister wrote:

If they're so bad, there's a simple solution to this:
Don't use them competitively! Geeze.
Just use them for fun every once in a while. That's what I plan on doing. I know that the IG-86s are better for their cost, so I'd use them in a tournament. But for just a fun match, I might use Commando Droids.

Yep. I could see someone using Commandos for four possible reasons:

1. Scenario play
2. Someone doesn't have the right minis for an IG-86 squad
3. Someone likes Commando Droids and wants to build a squad with them
4. Tournaments requiring you to use the minis found in a purchased booster

billiv15
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:38:26 AM

Draconarius wrote:

I find the words "utter fail" to be a failure to understand how this game is made, and has been made since the very beginning, and likely will continue to be made (although you never know with a new designer in place obviously). I could give you 400 examples of the exact statement you just made. Well over 1/2 of the pieces in this game fall in that category both today, and on the day they were released.

The reasons to run them are simple, you are playing for theme, scenarios and RPG. Arguing that the thing has to be as good as one of the best droid figures in the game in the IG-86 is over the top from my POV. Why choose the Commando droids for that argument. Why not go with the 8 Super Battle Droids, the Heavy Super, the Bodygaurd droids, the IG-100s, TTD, Vulture, etc - basically take your pick, and the IGs are almost always a better bargain for competitive play. That doesn't mean the others won't have their uses, or that they can't compete.

The funniest part of this debate, is that no one, and I mean no one will use this example the next time a "power creep" argument comes up. And yet it's prime example number 1 right now that proves the counter point.

Edit - NVM, someone will, I just did in the Cad Bane thread :)

And further, there are ways to make the Commando droids painful. You don't necessarily have to be better than the IGs to play them and win at 90% of all game stores. +15 twins for 30 dmg, with 6 shots is quite a lot. To get that out of an IG, you have to spend more points. Are 5 Commandos worth 3 IGs in that type of squad? Close enough that I wouldn't mind running it.
Mickey
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:37:50 AM

As Bill stated I think alot of people forget that these minis are produced not only for the game but also the rpgers. I love that because it gives us two fan bases to keep this game going ThumbsUp
Draconarius
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:51:39 PM

Mickey wrote:
As Bill stated I think alot of people forget that these minis are produced not only for the game but also the rpgers. I love that because it gives us two fan bases to keep this game going ThumbsUp

There is zero reason they can't serve both purposes. Drop the Commando Droid's cost by 5 or so and a lot more people would like it. This 'How dare you think about SWM when judging an SWM piece's stats!' thinking is ridiculous.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:23:01 PM

Draconarius wrote:
Mickey wrote:

There is zero reason they can't serve both purposes. Drop the Commando Droid's cost by 5 or so and a lot more people would like it. This 'How dare you think about SWM when judging an SWM piece's stats!' thinking is ridiculous.

Neither is the over exaggerated claims of them being totally worthless. Sorry, the difference isn't nearly 5pts between them. Further, there are plenty of reasons that someone might want to use a droid with built in twin over one that needs a CE to get it. You also never know when another commander might come out that helps this guy and not the IG. But let's stop comparing those two in a vacuum shall we?

If the IG-86 is not in the game, what droids are you using that are more competitive than these guys? Then explain to me how it is that these guys are so terrible? I'm sorry, possible +11/15 for 20/30 6 times in a round for 16/17 points is nasty.

I could also go into WotC's practice of creating certain power levels in their games, that intentionally create some good, some bad, and some ok pieces, but most people don't like to recognize this. In short, it's a pretty solid business decision on their part, and that has been shown in several games, as well as their admission that they do it. So there isn't 0 reasons, there are just 0 reasons you as a particular person are willing to accept :)
Mickey
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2009 11:44:35 PM

I'm not judging people. I just stated I think some forget that these figs are for another game. The one thing I didn't like about these droids was that they were common with two poses in the same set. That gave me 8 figs for my case Sad I do like the poses. I think they are a cool fig. Another thing to remember is not everyone has 86's. Not everyone has tons of figs to choose from when making a squad. For those who have plenty of everything then yea I see going with 86's better. For those who only have these since they are new then you don't have that choice.