RegisterDonateLogin

Range 6

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GaW Draft; or How I Learned to Love Cover Rules Options
Weaver
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:15:54 PM
Groups: Member

On the 24th, our local store had a Galaxy at War draft, though it was closer to a Sealed. Of the two boosters, this is what I got.

Asajj Ventress, Strike Leader
Jedi Master Kit Fisto
Treadwell Droid
Commando Droid Captain x2
Rodian Trader
R7 Astromech Droid
Clone Trooper Pilot
Senate Commando
Battle Droid
Aqualish Technician
Commando Droid

I cannot recall the other 2, but they were inconsequential. After serious contemplation, I got tired of thinking and irrationally threw this squad together.

Asajj
Treadwell
Commando
Rodian
R7
Trooper Pilot
Senate
Battle Droid
Aqualish

The general plan was to set Asajj up in the front, where she would take the brunt of the ranged attacks. 25 defense in cover, as well as Evade, let her soak up a lot of shots without injury, and she's potent enough in melee combat that people would have trouble running past her.

Meanwhile, the Aqualish Technician, Commando Droid Captain and Senate Commando would set up in the back, each Double Attacking at a +13 for 30. The Treadwell can help bring down the big scary pieces, and the Rodian Trader helps make low priority pieces, like the Battle Droid or Treadwell Droid, an actual factor. R7 is a sure-in, with Override, and the Pilot just coincidentally fit, though it isn't bad with Evade.

I briefly considered using Kit Fisto, but eventually veto'd the idea. The way my squad was built, it seemed good at bringing down single big units, I assumed other people's squads would do the same. While he can be potent with his style going off, the complete lack of defensive measures meant that he might go down quickly, and I would be out 60 points.

(cont.)
Weaver
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:30:08 PM

Round One

Naturally, the piece I least wanted to see, I saw in the first round. FlObi is facing me down from across the table, with a suite of small units and Commander Ahsoka. I won map choice, and we went to the Train Map.

Things got off to a relatively quick start. R7 locked the train door far down the hall, the one next to the laser door, which stopped a rush down the side and pushed them into the middle hallway. Meanwhile, Asajj settled in at the farthest train car, with a Senate Commando directly behind her. The Commando brought down two small units while the Commando Droid settled in the back, preparing for FlObi and Ahsoka, and the Rodian Trader got the Battle Droid and the Treadwell healing.

Asajj survived the barrage of fire from downrange, and most of the damage got healed off. The Senate Commando continued to lay the hits, and finally FlObi based Asajj. Ahsoka got her face blown off with a combination of Treadwell, Aqualish and Commando Droid, and some chump got the killing blow on her. Asajj tore FlObi up with 3 hits and a comically poor series of Soresu rolls. Things continued to go downhill for my opponent from there, and he conceded when FlObi dropped with nothing but a Clone Trooper on board.

(cont.)
Weaver
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:37:05 PM

Round Two

A troublesome amount of units faced me from across the board in round two; I counted ten, and I thought I had a lot of activations for the environment. The most substantial unit was another Ahsoka; the rest was a number of droids, pumped up by a Sargent, and some clone troopers. He won map, and we jumped in on the Tatooine or Mos Eisley map or whatever. The one with the building in the middle and the wreckage and whatnot. I chose the non-bar side, setting up most of the ranged units in the middle and everyone else on the side closer to the building.

Things got off to a much quicker start. The Senate Commando took a long shot across the map, dropping a Battle Droid, and taking down a Lab Droid and Commando Droid in quick succession. Meanwhile, Asajj tore off into the middle of the building, a Treadwell droid close behind, and tagged Ahsoka for 20, then dropped her and a clone in the next round. The Commando Droid Captain lit up another Commando Droid, as well as a Magnaguard Artillerist. The Artillerist eventually Missile'd the Droid Captain to death, but it was too little too late. My opponent conceded with nothing but an R7 on board after the Senate Commando dropped the Artillerist.

(cont.)
Weaver
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:45:55 PM

Final Round

I once again faced off against a large number of units, but the first real hitch in my plan presented himself. The Mar Tuuk I was looking at wasn't the problem; it was Commander Cody who I found troublesome. While the 20 damage he puts out wouldn't drop any of my shooters in a single round, the damage could add up quickly, and a single Flurry attack could ruin my day. The rest of his guys were basic clones and droids. He won map and took the hard one with the power regulator, settling in the room with two doors, and I spread my guys out pretty well across the back.

This match probably went much better for me than it should have. I believe Asajj made literally all of her Evade rolls while she soaked up the ranged barrage, and while Cody was putting a hurt on the Senate Commando, it wasn't fast enough to knock him out. It was essentially an enormous shoot-out, but I had a significant advantage with Asajj taking my hits.

Eventually Asajj moved in and put enough pressure on that my shooters could move up and cover the entire room. Asajj went down, but the shooters finished a Droid Captain up with little hassle, and my opponent conceded with an R7 on the board and nothing else.

(cont.)
Weaver
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2009 12:54:04 PM

Aftermath and Impressions

The prize support went without major incident, and I got Captain Argyus and a bunch of other chumps out of it. My Asajj got traded off for Jetpack Rex; she served me well, but jetpacks rule.

Galaxy at War is a pretty good set for drafting, so far as I can tell. The fact that commons and uncommons got a bit of a bump helped things, certainly. Asajj definitely brought things home for me; that enormous defense in cover, with Evade, and being potent enough to discourage melee attackers certainly helped. One piece I saw underestimated was the Artillerist. Missiles 30 is nothing to scoff at, properly used.

I also noticed that my opponents, save the last, didn't prioritize keeping small pieces around for the initiative advantage. Battle droids and clones alike got kept in the open for no good reason. Strange, considering how important they know tempo control is, but oh well. I had a lot of fun with it, and look forward to similar events in the future.

~Weaver