RegisterDonateLogin

Remember: Always drink responsibly.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

GaW Release in Lafayette, IN: My results Options
Pericles
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 1:56:21 AM
Groups: Member

There were about a dozen players in attendance, and I went 1-3 with the following squad:

Kit Fisto
ARF
Magnaguard Artillerist
Clone Trooper w Night Vision
Senate Guard
Battle Droid
Weequay Pirate x2

I had also pulled Asajj and a B3 in my packs, but I opted for the increased activations so that I could move Kit last and optimize his Surprise Move ability. I chose the Death Star map.

First Round:

Opponent had a shooter squad with Rex, Argyus, Senate Commando, CTwRB, 501st, etc. Also had a Rodian Trader, but he didn't make much of a difference. We played on his map (Jedi Temple) and I set-up inside. I was able to grab 1st turn gambit, but his aggressive positioning made it clear that this game would not be decided by gambit. All of the fighting occured at the bottleneck in the middle of the map. I played defensively and he was forced to be the one to open the doors. Quad-attacking Senate Commandos at 30 damage got my attention real quick! I took out Argyus with a couple of fortunate Missles and Kit moved up at the beginning of the round to waste Rex. Even though Kit only had 10 HP left, my shooters were able to subdue or eliminate the rest of his squad. Record: 1-0

Second Round:

Another shooter squad, another Argyus/Commandos combo, but this time with a Combat Droid instead of Rex. Lost map and we played on his Throne Room, I set-up on the right (1st round gambit). Grabbed my gambit with Fisto and moved him back into the big room to avoid the mobile quad of his Combat Droid. His Senate Commando and Magnaguard moved into striking distance of Kit, so I won init and Surprised. Kit then proceeded to roll a 6 or less on three of his four attacks (incl one that was re-rolled). That was the definitive exchange as the Commando pummelled Kit with 90 damage before the Senate Guard could catch-up to bodyguard Kit. I finished the guard next turn, but Kit was exposed and once I lost the Senate Guard he just didn't have enough HP to survive the quantity of shots he was taking. Started feeling kinda down on Kit at this point. Record: 1-1

Third Round:

Played against a squad with a balance of Shooter and Melee, which was refreshing. He had Kit with Loathsome, a B3, an R7, Senate Commando, and Rodian Trader. I won map and set-up on the Docking Bay. This match was close. I moved Kit up and took out his B3, which I saw as my greatest ranged threat. He responded by moving-up his Kit and we had a Kit-fight. I had 20 HP left on my Kit, he had 10 HP left on his. He had no FP, I had 2, so I took a chance and Missled his Kit, hoping that I could re-roll if I missed. He missed his save, but I missed both mine and the re-roll. Both Kits bit the dust. Sad He had a gambit lead, so my only shot was to wipe out some of his characters. However, after the Missles episode my dice went cold and I couldn't hit anything. He won on gambit. Record 1-2

Fourth Round:

This was my first game (in the tournament) against Flobi. My opponent ran him with Asajj, an R7, and a Clone Trooper w Night Vision. I won map and set-up on the docking bay again. I was able to take out his clone trooper early, but once he advanced Obi and Asajj I was forced to deal with them. I focused on Obi, which was probably a mistake. I thought 2 attacks from Obi was better than 6 from Asajj, but he rolled his SSM very well and Asajj had plenty of time to take out my Magnaguard before coming over to help Obi with Kit. Record 1-3

Final Analysis: Surprise Move is not a very good defensive ability. Unfortunately for Kit, it is the only defensive ability he has. Your opponent will rarely give you the opportunity to use Shii-Choo, so that is kind of a waste. My MVP was the Magnaguard Artillerist, who hit over 75% of his Missles! Unfortunately, most of the 25% he missed was in my third round loss. Flobi is very, very good. SSM, like so many abilities in SWM, is very luck-dependent. The tournament championship game was between the person I played in the third round and another Flobi squad. The Flobi player missed 10 of his last 13 SSM rolls (inclusing re-rolls)! He had a much superior squad to his opponent, and, having played both of them at different times, I can honestly say that the Flobi player is the more skilled player. However, skill matters little when the dice turn cold. Smile