RegisterDonateLogin

Search your feelings. You know it to be Bloo.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Poll Question : What is your stance on non-canonical minis?
Choice Votes Statistics
Make them. It'd be fun to have new models! 26 33.766233 %
Neutral. I don't care, stats are all I care about. 2 2.597402 %
Never. Star Wars Minis should only contain canon! 49 63.636363 %

What is your stance on non-canonical minis? Options
adminsidious
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 10:07:51 AM
Groups: Member

This also raises the question of "Which Cannon?", as we're already deep, deep, DEEP, into the realm of EU as opposed to FU, and according to Lucasarts, EU is in no way cannon.

(Admittedly, I'd pay top dollar for a "Boba Fett: Falling Down a Hole and Dying like a Scrub", but that'd just cause fits too.)
Squid89
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 10:12:43 AM

I certainly would not like to see any pieces based off the Infinities comics, parodies, Ewoks or Droids cartoons, or the Holiday Special or Jaxxon! Plenty of other great material and characters to develop. There are still tons of races that have not even gotten one representation. A lot of it depends on how 'canon' gets defined as well and how many sources are included.

If we got a Cyborg Maul, I wouldn't necessarily stop collecting pieces, but wouldn't be too happy.
Mickey
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 10:14:53 AM

I voted no because there are still way too many that have not been made yet.
Weaver
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 10:31:50 AM

To me, it comes down to a matter of how distinctive a character is. There may be hundreds of Extended Universe characters or comic book characters, but so many of them are so obscure that they may as well be non-canonical, for how many people know who they are. So when I say I would be good with non-canonical figures, it pretty much extends to comics and books and whatnot. It doesn't make much of a difference to me as long as they do something nifty.
dnemiller
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 10:33:14 AM

I also want a Ganner Rhysode with the special ability None Shall Pass!!!!
Darth O
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 5:06:03 PM

I agree with those saying there are heaps still unmade. Wizards should focus on making those guys before just becoming a cheap Star Wars toy.

We still need, to name a couple:

Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas
Mandalore the Preserver
Boba Fett, Mandalore
Boss Nass
Beach Trooper (from Star Wars Lego II)
Stormtrooper in Stormtrooper Armour LOL
Luke in Stormtrooper Armour
Wicket on Speeder Bike
Chewbacca in AT-ST
Captain Raymus Antilles
A new Ki-Adi-Mundi
Another Tarrful

EDIT: Oops, I forgot Saba Sebatyne from Legacy!
adminsidious
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 5:21:41 PM

Darth O wrote:
I agree with those saying there are heaps still unmade. Wizards should focus on making those guys before just becoming a cheap Star Wars toy.

We still need, to name a couple:

Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas
Mandalore the Preserver
Boba Fett, Mandalore
Boss Nass
Beach Trooper (from Star Wars Lego II)
Stormtrooper in Stormtrooper Armour LOL
Luke in Stormtrooper Armour
Wicket on Speeder Bike
Chewbacca in AT-ST
Captain Raymus Antilles
A new Ki-Adi-Mundi
Another Tarrful

Great point Darth O! That's true, and though, I don't mind the idea of an alternate universe set, (particularly a collectors set, as opposed to a bunch of reprints with a rare or two like Hoth or Clone Wars Battles) there is plenty left to do.

I know that this particular game, unlike any other collectible game I've played I will be allowed to spend money on consistantly at very least until they release an Ewok on Speeder, and an Ewok Catapult, because my wife is mildly obsessed with them.

I also have a bunch of random crazy stuff I want to see...

Like how they are going to continue to make Obi-Wan's.. but that's another thread.
Space Jawa
Posted: Monday, November 2, 2009 7:42:29 PM

Weaver wrote:
Inevitably, we're going to run out of named characters

I'm not entirely sure you fully understand the proportions of this particular statement. Well-known named characters, perhaps, but named characters? There's enough of those to keep the game going for years. Decades, perhaps, with the saga continuing to grow onward.

Remember, just about every Star Wars character who's appeared on-screen, or in the background scene of a comic page, or anything else like that, no matter how important they were or how long they appeared, has a name, a biography, a history, and probably at least one or two fans running around somewhere.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a few characters from non-canoncal appearances, especially if they did something to set them apart or brought something new to the game.
StevenO
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 10:49:39 AM

I'd say yes just to remove any possible restrictions you could run into if only canon characters could be produced. There are so many characters from various StarWars sources and also so many which certain could exist but may never have been named or even destribed that it would be a shame just to leave them out because they are non-canonical. I may not want to see pieces based off of Infinities alterations but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some unnamed jedi from a wider variety of speicies which may never have shown up on screen anywhere.
DarthJoe8
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:01:10 AM

No, never!! If its not cannon then it's not Star Wars...Cool
mercenary_moose
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:05:14 AM

Absolutely NO.
saeseetiin
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:26:57 AM

I think it would be very stupid to make minis that don't exist when there are guys who do exsit in Star Wars who don't even have a mini yet.
Jediabiwan
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:34:41 AM

StevenO wrote:
I'd say yes just to remove any possible restrictions you could run into if only canon characters could be produced. There are so many characters from various StarWars sources and also so many which certain could exist but may never have been named or even destribed that it would be a shame just to leave them out because they are non-canonical. I may not want to see pieces based off of Infinities alterations but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some unnamed jedi from a wider variety of speicies which may never have shown up on screen anywhere.

A character doesn't have to be named to be canonical, all they have to be is in a canon source. Infinities is really the main source of non-canon characters with just a few other sources. Just because a character is obscure or doesn't appear on screen doesn't mean they aren't canonical. I also agree that unless this game lasts for several decades it will never run out of named characters to produce, there are thousands of characters they can produce, they just won't be well known.
DarthJak
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 12:17:47 PM

who caresConfused ..... as long as it's not a glass cannonLOL
Lachesis
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:36:52 PM

harmonm4 wrote:
Minis anymore. There are plenty of characters out there that can still be made. Many of them can have a new mini of them made from a part of the movie story line or from one of the cannon books that brings a new concept to some of the characters.

For Example: Luke and Leia on speeder bike. There is still too much to work with to have any non-cannon material in the game created into unique minis.

I politely, yet completely, disagree with the idea.

and i disagree with you completely, we need less figs for 10 minutes 2 peoples of the entire time line of star wars, we dont need a luke on speeder just like we dont need a luke with impolsive shot, for that one stormtrooper he killed before the door swooshed closed and the falcon got away. did there really need to be a han solo of hoth and a han solo on tauntaun.

do you realize there is 18 anakin skywalkers (includeing darth vaders), theres only 18 mando figs altogether, and there not even the least amount of figs in a faction.

this game needs some MAJOR BALENCING, make all the faction equal to some degree, make a sith mando old republic seneraio or something
juice man
Posted: Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:32:25 PM

DarthJak wrote:
who caresConfused ..... as long as it's not a glass cannonLOL

LOL Actualy black is white, and we NEED lots of glass connons.LOL
The only one who can make a change is George Lucas.
It is fun to speculate though.
harmonm4
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:20:35 AM

Lachesis wrote:
harmonm4 wrote:
Minis anymore. There are plenty of characters out there that can still be made. Many of them can have a new mini of them made from a part of the movie story line or from one of the cannon books that brings a new concept to some of the characters.

For Example: Luke and Leia on speeder bike. There is still too much to work with to have any non-cannon material in the game created into unique minis.

I politely, yet completely, disagree with the idea.

and i disagree with you completely, we need less figs for 10 minutes 2 peoples of the entire time line of star wars, we dont need a luke on speeder just like we dont need a luke with impolsive shot, for that one stormtrooper he killed before the door swooshed closed and the falcon got away. did there really need to be a han solo of hoth and a han solo on tauntaun.

do you realize there is 18 anakin skywalkers (includeing darth vaders), theres only 18 mando figs altogether, and there not even the least amount of figs in a faction.

this game needs some MAJOR BALENCING, make all the faction equal to some degree, make a sith mando old republic seneraio or something

Then it looks like we agree to disagreeMeh
Lachesis
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:23:06 AM

i disagree agian
harmonm4
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 8:34:05 AM

Having extra minis of the minis that are known for those who come new to the game is always going to prioritize over obscure minis.

In terms of balance, having more than one of the same unique mini (ie: 10 Vaders) forces people to choose which one to use with their build, and depending on the rest of the squad, the same Vader will not always be the best for every different build. It is good for players to have to make decisions. In my opinion, that is better balance for the game (which keeps players working to perfect squads and strategies of squads) than throwing in some mini who is not even a part of cannon.

Any players who were not around for the first several sets would have little chance of getting a Vader, if they stopped making Vaders after set 3 or 4. Either that, or people would be paying too much to get it. There would be a greater lack of balance in not making another Vader/Luke every so often. I know a lot of people are sick of all the Vaders, Lukes, Obi-Wans, Anakins, Grievouss, etc, but that is where my opinion differs from a lot of people in the community.

If there were some restrictions made on the non-cannon minis that would be made, I wouldn't mind so much as long as they continued to make repeats of the main cannon characters everyone knows. However, if they are not careful they may lose the very characters and concepts that make Star Wars Star Wars.
trick624
Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 10:38:10 AM

as much as I want to see some non cannon characters, i want a fix for some of the ones that are cannon.