RegisterDonateLogin

The possibility of successfully navigating this site is approximately 3,720 to one.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Meta thoughts post GaW Options
owaller3
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:24:59 AM
Groups: Member

Can someone post the Cad/Thrawn squad? I just don't see how it beats Slow Cannon or lobin luke.
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 1:45:49 AM

TK-4334 wrote:
There is "no" chance to defeat it in 150 points without Yobuck.

Sure its a fragile Squad if u do i mistake you´ll lose but if not its allmighty- against Speeder and lobbin Luke you´ll win very easiely.

I hope you can understand why I am extremely skeptical of statements like this.
Weeks
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 1:56:59 AM

billiv15 wrote:
TK-4334 wrote:
There is "no" chance to defeat it in 150 points without Yobuck.

Sure its a fragile Squad if u do i mistake you´ll lose but if not its allmighty- against Speeder and lobbin Luke you´ll win very easiely.

I hope you can understand why I am extremely skeptical of statements like this.

So Cad Bane Swap is all the sudden the most powerfull thing at 150? In my LGS i havent seen it do that well the best it has gone is 2-2.

Cant beat it without yobuck? Slow Cannon kills cad in one round he gets one shot at an evade save if he fails it he dies. Lobbin luke also beats it in one round after it locks some doors and cuts off mas.

Im really interested in how it won.
billiv15
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 2:00:50 AM

owaller3 wrote:
Can someone post the Cad/Thrawn squad? I just don't see how it beats Slow Cannon or lobin luke.

It would be something along these lines.

--Opp Cad 150--
54 Cad Bane
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
27 Lobot
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
5 Raxus Prime Trooper
4 Gran Raider
3 Mouse Droid
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Preferred Reinforcements:
(Lobot) 16 Gran Raider x4
TK-4334
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:14:40 AM

Just play it you will love it.
Best Map for it is train!!

You have to wait in an corner who is save ! When your opponent is done u have a lot activations left. After that u place 2 Gran Raiders or 3 to build a situation that u can swap in nearly all regions of the map.
So now after the next round and after outlasting the enemy u can move with the grans and lobot as help near to the enemys units. Than u swap bane because of flight u can base the Main Char and kill him because of opp. he deals 120 dmg with a +20.

So for example:
Lobbin Luke: you base crix because Disrutive is dangerous and kill him. after a won ini (thrawn) u can kill han and fly away so there is nobody left who can kill bane in one turn.(if u did right) after u can swap away and u can do it again, kill Luke and those blasted leia. Done.

Speeder: you base speeder and deal 80 dmg. after a won ini u can kill him.
Than just han and leia left. u fly away so that they can´t take a shot or that u have evade. Then Swap away and next round kill the rest the same way.

I played it on French Championchip against lot of Speeder, lobbin Luke and some Vader Swaps and i owned them all.
6:0

Than in finalrounds i lost my first game against Bane Swap.
This Guy tooks the titel later and had to play against bane swap in finals.

Believe it or not, just play it against a friend on train and u´ll win.
harmonm4
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:31:08 AM

TK-4334 wrote:
Just play it you will love it.
Best Map for it is train!!

You have to wait in an corner who is save ! When your opponent is done u have a lot activations left. After that u place 2 Gran Raiders or 3 to build a situation that u can swap in nearly all regions of the map.
So now after the next round and after outlasting the enemy u can move with the grans and lobot as help near to the enemys units. Than u swap bane because of flight u can base the Main Char and kill him because of opp. he deals 120 dmg with a +20.

So for example:
Lobbin Luke: you base crix because Disrutive is dangerous and kill him. after a won ini (thrawn) u can kill han and fly away so there is nobody left who can kill bane in one turn.(if u did right) after u can swap away and u can do it again, kill Luke and those blasted leia. Done.

Speeder: you base speeder and deal 80 dmg. after a won ini u can kill him.
Than just han and leia left. u fly away so that they can´t take a shot or that u have evade. Then Swap away and next round kill the rest the same way.

I played it on French Championchip against lot of Speeder, lobbin Luke and some Vader Swaps and i owned them all.
6:0

Than in finalrounds i lost my first game against Bane Swap.
This Guy tooks the titel later and had to play against bane swap in finals.

Believe it or not, just play it against a friend on train and u´ll win.

Just out of curiousity, did you ever play against a Yoda on Kybuck squad? How did it turn out? It just seems like you could ruin the fun swap gimmick in this squad by simply applying Galloping to the grans and other low point swappers (assuming Bill's version is the correct vesion of the most competitive build Blue Bane can have which seems the best variation of the build to me).
harmonm4
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:52:57 AM

Here are two variations of Yobuck squads that seem like would turn a Blue Bane squad upside down (maybe not, but they seem like they would compete well):

--YoDeath 1.5--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
26 Jedi Weapon Master
23 Captain Panaka
24 Antarian Ranger x2
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
9 Ugnaught Demolitionist x3

(150pts. 10 activations)

With this squad, you cut down all swap fodder, then end on bane to make galloping attack and regular attack (40 damage). Bane can take his turn, probably 120 damage to Yobuck leaving him with 40 HP. Then (same round) Panaka swaps in Weaponmaster for a lightsaber assault to very neatly slice Bane's head off.

Or instead of using Panaka, you could use R2 to tow the weaponmaster up to get a double so he can also use reroll for the attack or still just lightsaber assault Bane if he's 18 spaces away. At this point, if there was a way that Bane survived the attacks that round, Next round, with him based to Yobuck and the Weaponmaster, there is no way for him to finish both off, so he must kill one and leave the other at which point he will again have his head cleanly removed from his body.

AND

--Yobuck 1.5--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
47 General Skywalker
26 Jedi Weapon Master
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
3 Mouse Droid

(150pts. 8 activations)

The 2nd squad works the same way as the second strategy of the first sqaud. Yobuck chops down fodder and ends on Bane to make 30-60 damage (depending on whether he moved 16 or 26 squares). R2 tows Weaponmaster or Skywalker in for the last two hits to make another 30-60. Bane and fodder are gone leaving Thrawn, ozzel and mas to wonder what they will do.

Those are just typical ways I think the Blue Bane squads (B&Bane) will fall in tournaments.
Theophagos
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 5:14:07 AM

The answer to Yobuck is bodyguard - that's what Lobot is for. Anyway, TK-4334 already said that Yobuck is a problem for Cad-Swap.
I'd guess that Never tell me the odds is another problem, as swaping becomes much more dangerous.
@TK-4334: Do you know the actual squad Deeeh used?

Theophagos
SkyLight
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:04:44 AM

The French Championship winning squad is here : http://www.bloomilk.com/Squads/View.aspx?ID=62765
Congrats to the winner!
TK-4334
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 6:58:48 AM

@harmonm4: I said just Yobuck is a problem. There is NO Squad that can deal with EVERY Squad. But this one can deal with the most Squads i think.

If there is anybody how knows a squad with auto win potential please tell me :D

@Thepaglos: No, i don´t know. :)
I played against never tell me the odds and it was a hard number but i could kill han with a lot of luck my girlfriend missed all evades on him. so the rest mara and co wasn´t any problem any more.
Moff Ivlis
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 7:29:48 AM

harmonm4 wrote:
Here are two variations of Yobuck squads that seem like would turn a Blue Bane squad upside down (maybe not, but they seem like they would compete well):

--YoDeath 1.5--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
26 Jedi Weapon Master
23 Captain Panaka
24 Antarian Ranger x2
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda

(150pts. 10 activations)

With this squad, you cut down all swap fodder, then end on bane to make galloping attack and regular attack (40 damage). Bane can take his turn, probably 120 damage to Yobuck leaving him with 40 HP. Then (same round) Panaka swaps in Weaponmaster for a lightsaber assault to very neatly slice Bane's head off.

I'm confused how this is intended to work: in order for Yobuck to do 40 damage to Bane, Yobuck needs to move, at most, 16 squares (10 if you don't burn a force point). Granted that's a lot, but barring some really boneheaded planning by your oponent, you're probably having to chose between clearing more then 1 swap piece and basing Bane.

Then, I don't get the assumption that follows: So Yobuck is basing Bane, then Bane activates, and yet you seem to assume that Bane will still be basing Yobuck at the end of his activation, or within a clear 6. Again, that would seem to be relying on either a very odd positioning or very poor generalship from your opponent. With flight and GMA, Bane is possibly the most mobile of the GMA double twin shooters around, yet you seem to be assuming he's leaving Bane flagging in the breeze.

harmonm4 wrote:
Or instead of using Panaka, you could use R2 to tow the weaponmaster up to get a double so he can also use reroll for the attack or still just lightsaber assault Bane if he's 18 spaces away. At this point, if there was a way that Bane survived the attacks that round, Next round, with him based to Yobuck and the Weaponmaster, there is no way for him to finish both off, so he must kill one and leave the other at which point he will again have his head cleanly removed from his body.

AND

--Yobuck 1.5--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
47 General Skywalker
26 Jedi Weapon Master
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
3 Mouse Droid

(150pts. 8 activations)

The 2nd squad works the same way as the second strategy of the first sqaud. Yobuck chops down fodder and ends on Bane to make 30-60 damage (depending on whether he moved 16 or 26 squares). R2 tows Weaponmaster or Skywalker in for the last two hits to make another 30-60. Bane and fodder are gone leaving Thrawn, ozzel and mas to wonder what they will do.

Those are just typical ways I think the Blue Bane squads (B&Bane) will fall in tournaments.

Again, what exactly is your opponent doing during all of this, considering your opponent wins initiative 95% of the time or more?

Is Yobuck an easy fight? No, but I don't think anyone is saying Bane swap is making everything that came before obsolete. But on the other hand, Bane swap also doesn't have a lot of dead squads; compare, for example, a Bane swap squad and your first Yobuck squad going against, say, a Bane Nom Bomb squad.
TK-4334
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 7:42:48 AM

Moff Ivlis wrote:
harmonm4 wrote:

--YoDeath 1.5--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
26 Jedi Weapon Master
23 Captain Panaka
24 Antarian Ranger x2
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda

(150pts. 10 activations)

I'm confused how this is intended to work: in order for Yobuck to do 40 damage to Bane, Yobuck needs to move, at most, 16 squares (10 if you don't burn a force point). Granted that's a lot, but barring some really boneheaded planning by your oponent, you're probably having to chose between clearing more then 1 swap piece and basing Bane.

I agree, if he base bane with yobuck. youbuck is down 120dmg than after won ini next 80 dmg. but its harder to win against a good player with yobuck.
Moff Ivlis wrote:
harmonm4 wrote:

Then, I don't get the assumption that follows: So Yobuck is basing Bane, then Bane activates, and yet you seem to assume that Bane will still be basing Yobuck at the end of his activation, or within a clear 6. Again, that would seem to be relying on either a very odd positioning or very poor generalship from your opponent. With flight and GMA, Bane is possibly the most mobile of the GMA double twin shooters around, yet you seem to be assuming he's leaving Bane flagging in the breeze.

[quote=harmonm4]Or instead of using Panaka, you could use R2 to tow the weaponmaster up to get a double so he can also use reroll for the attack or still just lightsaber assault Bane if he's 18 spaces away. At this point, if there was a way that Bane survived the attacks that round, Next round, with him based to Yobuck and the Weaponmaster, there is no way for him to finish both off, so he must kill one and leave the other at which point he will again have his head cleanly removed from his body.

AND

--Yobuck 1.5--
51 Yoda on Kybuck
47 General Skywalker
26 Jedi Weapon Master
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
8 Mas Amedda
3 Mouse Droid

(150pts. 8 activations)

Again, what exactly is your opponent doing during all of this, considering your opponent wins initiative 95% of the time or more?

Is Yobuck an easy fight? No, but I don't think anyone is saying Bane swap is making everything that came before obsolete. But on the other hand, Bane swap also doesn't have a lot of dead squads; compare, for example, a Bane swap squad and your first Yobuck squad going against, say, a Bane Nom Bomb squad.

For Nom Bomb u have to choose a Treadwell Droid as Reinforcement so enemy characters looses SS. But Vong isn´t good enough for any big "turnier". So there is no need but i had some Treadwell´s with me safety first BigGrin

But the point is Yobuck Squads had their problems with some other Squads in exeption of Nom Bomb. Mara, Kyle for example.

Fact is ... there is no Auto-Win-Squad who can deal with all Squads.
Moff Ivlis
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 7:51:07 AM

TK-4334 wrote:
For Nom Bomb u have to choose a treawell droid as Reinforcement so enemy looses SS. But Vong isn´t good enough for any big "turnier". so there is no needq but i had some Treadwell´s with me safety first BigGrin

Oh, I getcha, I only meant that there is no clear "King of the hill" squad at the moment, and that building to beat Bane swap leaves you open to other dangers.

Regarding Nom Bomb, you don't feel there is potential with Bane to come back? I won't venture an opinion, I'm scarcely adept with any Vong squads.
Mandelmauler
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:46:25 PM

For the Swapping Cad squads to work they seem to need 3 more activations than the opponent: Gran moves, Thrawn swap, Cad attack. Don't many of the Slow Cannon squads have more than 12 activations?

If this squad becomes popular, does that bode well for a resurgence of the Muun Tactics Broker?
harmonm4
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:56:28 PM

@ Moff Ivlis: I was politely giving things to think about when using the squads. I reread my post again, and I can see how someone could read it as a challenge to whether the squad is good, but there was no challenge intended. I agree that the squad is good, and as I have thought of solid builds to beat the squad, I have noticed how competitive it could be.

Moff Ivlis wrote:

Now, with the second squad you posted the above statement. Initiative has nothing to do with this squads strategy for beating Bane. When Bane is attacked (and the time when the exchange for damage begins), Bane will likely be killed BEFORE the next initiative is determined.

Please do not take this as a challenge. This is just a thought of the way I would face the squad if I was using my second build. Rather than chasing all of the targets, I would probably charge Bane with Yobuck (not using R2), and then have Skywalker towed in. Even if Bane moves 6 squares away with his flight, Skywalker can get 22 spaces to him with over half that movement counting as flight. Skywalker and Yobuck should each do 60 damage on him a piece leaving room for either of them to miss once (which won't happen too often when 2's and 3's are needed to hit him).

As you can see, initiative is not even going to be considered in that situation, because I am not trying to go first at the beginning of next round. At that point my competition is already dead. The fact that I will be out-activated will also matter very little as well. Making both initiative control and activation control irrelevant to the squads strategy.

Again, I'm not saying the Thrawn/Bane squad is bad. That is just the way I would go about beating it, so take what you will from my post.Wink
TK-4334
Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 9:00:06 PM

Mandelmauler wrote:
For the Swapping Cad squads to work they seem to need 3 more activations than the opponent: Gran moves, Thrawn swap, Cad attack. Don't many of the Slow Cannon squads have more than 12 activations?

If this squad becomes popular, does that bode well for a resurgence of the Muun Tactics Broker?

MTB ? If u play him, please just as Reinforcement. Think about San Hill. LOL
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2009 6:01:56 AM

For those who doubt the power of this combo in a meta that isn't prepared for it, I was very close to running three very similar squads at Gencon this year. I had a Vader Scourge version, a Lord Vader version, and a Nym version. The Nym one is the one I want to mention here, as it is closest to the Cad. Nym provided disruptive, which could negate evade and Leia's CE against Slow Cannon, and it had decent odds. Cad provides the same squad with additional options, like flight and the additional range. Those two in particular give it something that Nym couldn't produce, which is the ability to get to the speeder on Teth and Taris, in ways Nym could not. LV was a great option as well, because of the same concept. The issue tended to be whether or not Han could finish LV over the course of 2-3 rounds with a dead speeder and Leia (or the Speeder without Han and Leia) depending on the targets. Cad's added mobility makes a big difference here, and that's why this was successful in this case. However, I still maintain that any of the three versions I thought about running could have worked at Gencon as well. In the end, I just didn't want to play it depending so much on map as my three options required, even if I could compete at close to 50% on Teth/Taris. Cad doesn't have those same drawbacks with stealth, evade, flight and GMA.

Now, all 4 of these, will have to deal with tough counters. Having played 3/4, I think I can say that Cad will have to deal with Yodabuck swaps, which were darn close at Gencon, and easily could have made the top 8 had a few other things gone right for anyone of 3-4 players. As it was, one Yoda squad did make the top 8 and it was a serious threat against everything else. A prepared meta makes depending on an 80hp figure alone a risk, but that wasn't the meta these guys were playing in. So give them the props for what was a very well played and prepared tournament, as least for what I can read of it anyways :)
dalsiandon
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2009 12:51:27 PM

I think Cad Bane will be around but I don't think he will be a real powerhouse, he needs too much help to be good, and on his own he struggles. His +10 base attack is very hindering, and without a boost, or two, no matter how many shoots he gets off he's likely to only connect on half, and he is too fragile for that kind of exchange.
Just my opinion.

I do think we'll see the Rodian trader on more squads, as he can help everything in ways that make borderline fig's usable now.
TK-4334
Posted: Sunday, November 8, 2009 11:21:34 PM

On the night before the tournament, i was very afraid of my Squad choice.
I thougt if i do only ONE move wrong i´ll lose the games. Bane is real fragil every secound choice Char can kill him. Laugh
But i played the same Squad with Nym instead of Bane before like u explained billiv15, and it works.
So i thought, just do it.Bane will do his job much better than Nym. I had a lot of options like speeder but i wouldn´t run into many mirror matches, NR and an good Force Push Squad too.
All that Squads seems more save to me.
But i think if u wanna win, u have to create something "new".

Yes it is riski and yes it is fragil. But the surpise effect + a little bit luck helps to absorb losses the bad points.
billiv15
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 3:00:37 AM

TK-4334 wrote:
On the night before the tournament, i was very afraid of my Squad choice.
I thougt if i do only ONE move wrong i´ll lose the games. Bane is real fragil every secound choice Char can kill him. Laugh
But i played the same Squad with Nym instead of Bane before like u explained billiv15, and it works.
So i thought, just do it.Bane will do his job much better than Nym. I had a lot of options like speeder but i wouldn´t run into many mirror matches, NR and an good Force Push Squad too.
All that Squads seems more save to me.
But i think if u wanna win, u have to create something "new".

Yes it is riski and yes it is fragil. But the surpise effect + a little bit luck helps to absorb losses the bad points.

Two additional points worth mentioning here based on your insights (mainly for everyone else to learn from.)

1 - Dawn of Bane is a top squad not because of its particular power, as many people have already mentioned the weaknesses, but because it could win in the meta it was being played. That's a critical point, one that I cover in detail in some of my playing to win articles on Gamers. Winning at SWMs and most competitive games, isn't just about using the best pieces or squads, it's about understanding what you will be facing and how to counter it, then how to counter the counters and so on. If there were a top level tournament being played next week, I would suggest that people would be prepared for this squad, and something else would likely win, not that this couldn't, but it's odds are lower - obviously a great player with it could still win even in a tough well prepared meta.

The game, and any game for that matter, when it's done right, is when an otherwise "weak" squad can win a given event based on all of the factors beyond the game are taken into effect. This guy didn't win just because of the squad, he won because he was prepared for a certain meta, saw what he expected, and his counter worked the way he thought it would. That is championship play at it's best, that is playing the meta game well. Take a lesson here from the Europeans.

2 - I don't want a massive GOWK discussion, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention it as this is as good of a point as any to do so. GOWK being banned makes this squad possible. In a meta with GOWK, this squad would suffer. It has problem areas already, and isn't particularly more powerful than as TK already suggested, at least 3-4 other squad concepts. I would add, there are several other squad types that would give this trouble in the future as people start to come around to some of the new options, and bring back some older ones in new ways. If GOWK were legal, you would play this and be entirely luck dependent on winning the games - which would make it a poor choice for playing to win. That's the point I don't think many people understood with the GOWK issue. This squad wins, but it's one of many top level potencial squads out there that can compete, in a GOWK meta, this and many of those others cannot - generally only counters and those who are willing to simply exploit the tie breakers can do so.

Do you all see the careful point I am trying to make here? This squad can win a big event when played well, in a meta unprepared for it. It can also be beaten. The same is true of Slow Cannon and Lobbin' Luke, and none of them requires direct counters to do so. As TK said, playing this took skill and being very careful with it. No average player has a chance at winning a big event with this. In fact, I think winning with it says a lot about TK's skill overall as a player, as a meta analyzer and as a tactician. As I have long said, the game is and should be about who does these things the best, not about how well one can roll the dice. Well done, a very well deserved victory!