RegisterDonateLogin

How wude!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Synergy - General Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano? Options
darkjacen
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 6:24:12 PM
Groups: Member

Hi,

I just want to clarify something. Ahsoka Tano's Synergy needs Anakin right? Does general Skywalker count as "Anakin" in this case?

I'm thinking it would because of the Unique ability (He counts as Anakin Skywalker right?) Is this correct?

Thanks!Smile
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 6:31:29 PM

General Skywalkwer would not trigger Ahsoka Tano's Synergy as his name does not contain the word "Anakin".
darkjacen
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 6:33:24 PM

Wow. I wasn't expecting that. Thanks!
seibermaki
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 8:08:07 PM

I suspect there would be an errata for this. General Skywalker SHOULD count as Anakin for all purposes, including the synergy.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Monday, November 9, 2009 8:25:06 PM

There won't be. The precedent was set way back in Champions of the Force where the Coruscant Guard's rapport with Vader does not apply to Anakin Skywalker, Sith Apprentice even though he counts as Darth Vader.

General Skywalker counts as Anakin Skywalker for the purposes of unique. His name does not contain the word "Anakin" and thus is ineligible for abilities or commander effects that require an "Anakin".
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:15:27 AM

There is hope for a correction. When Barris Offee, Jedi Knight came out her card was printed wrong with her Synergy needing a character named Luminari Unduli and her master's name is Luminara. There is always a little hope that Wizos will go back do check out there products for mistakes and fix them after they are released (should probably do that before going to print, but oh well)
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:30:04 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

ArtemisCFrog43 wrote:
There is hope for a correction. When Barris Offee, Jedi Knight came out her card was printed wrong with her Synergy needing a character named Luminari Unduli and her master's name is Luminara. There is always a little hope that Wizos will go back do check out there products for mistakes and fix them after they are released (should probably do that before going to print, but oh well)

Except there is nothing to correct. Ahsoka's Synergy was already fixed, and the chances of General Skywalker's name being change is slim, and they are not going to change the rule.
ArtemisCFrog43
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:46:51 AM

Sithborg wrote:
ArtemisCFrog43 wrote:

Except there is nothing to correct. Ahsoka's Synergy was already fixed, and the chances of General Skywalker's name being change is slim, and they are not going to change the rule.

I was just trying to give the fellow player a little hope. Wizos, you're our only hope (to check cards before they are printed) Wink
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 6:51:13 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Telling them that a rule that has been in effect for years MIGHT change only gives them false hope. It is one thing to say that the wrong term might've been used, but it is another to say that a card was named wrong. We have never had an errata to a character's name, including Leia Skywalker.
billiv15
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:05:52 AM

ArtemisCFrog43 wrote:

I was just trying to give the fellow player a little hope. Wizos, you're our only hope (to check cards before they are printed) Wink

Except you are functioning under the assumption that this was a mistake and not on purpose. Just like Leia Skywalker, this doesn't appear to be a mistake. Rob has done this a few times in the past, and he wrote the name contains/named rewrite to the rules a few years back, so I think he understands it well enough to know when a character will and will not work for certain things.

The concept is simple. Allowing some to work and some to not keeps powercreep lessened and gives players a reason to run different pieces. Do you want to benefit from Synergy? Ok, use a different Anakin then. Want the greatness of a CE with Momentum for followers? Ok, use General Skywalker. Same with Leia Skywalker and Cade. Sometimes it's on purpose, I think this one most clearly was given the proximity to CWs, and that they just released three other Anakins this past year.
darkjacen
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:23:31 PM

Thanks for all your inputs guys.I have to be honest it totally slipped my mind to check for the definition of Ahsoka's Synergy. I got so used to thinking of any new Anakin as, well Anakin, that's where I got confused.

It's not really a loss though. It brings Snips some improvement, and as billiv15 said, I'll just have to choose what CEs and/or ability I want to take advantage of.

Again thanks!BigGrin
seibermaki
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:41:57 PM

Not a huge deal, I definitely have tons more Anakins to use with Ahsoka. :)

I suppose it would be a moot point if General Skywalker was named "Anakin Skywalker, Jedi General" instead of just "General Skywalker". I haven't used my old Anakins much lately anyhow, but maybe I will.
IG-108
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:13:26 PM

I don't like Synergy rules through names. An Anakin is an Anakin no matter what comes before or after his name. Same goes for Vader. Why is Wizards so picky about that stuff?
EmporerDragon
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:29:07 PM

IG-108 wrote:
An Anakin is an Anakin no matter what comes before or after his name. Same goes for Vader.

Except for Anakin Solo and Vader's Apprentice, who do trigger Synergy and Rapport for Anakin and Vader respectively.
StevenO
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:51:07 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
IG-108 wrote:
An Anakin is an Anakin no matter what comes before or after his name. Same goes for Vader.

Except for Anakin Solo and Vader's Apprentice, who do trigger Synergy and Rapport for Anakin and Vader respectively.

Don't you just love naming conventions.
Although both are Jedi Knight why shouldn't Leia Skywalker and Leia Organa Solo be allowed in the same squad why an Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker potentially could be?

In most cases it should be pretty obvious that two unique characters should be considered to have the same name and that name should be used when names matter (I know game rules don't agree.) but then you also get these other cases where "named X" really should include other things which aren't EXACTLY named X but which should still count. I know it isn't likely to change but it is still a gripe.