Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

star wars roleplaying Options
Topher_Champion_Of_The_Force
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:02:05 AM
Groups: Member

i'm considering playing role playing soon. i've got some of the books,
and the core rulebook on hold at the library, but it's taking forever for
the book to come in. so i was wondering if anybody knew of a site
where i can look at the rules and stuff, a site with a glossary maybe.
i didn't find what i was looking for on Wizards, but maybe i was just
looking in the wrong place. can anybody help me out?
dnemiller
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:12:16 AM

just a quick thought for you topher

Go to amazon and search on the books..... look under the used section.

The books are not used but close outs from book stores. You can usually pick up some of them for around $17 versus $39
StevenO
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:00:39 AM

If you are going to play the RPG you really need your own copy of the Core Rulebook. I suspect that who ever has your library's copy (horray for a library carrying RPG books!!!) likes it so much they aren't going to give it back easily. As for finding a copy of the SECR (SAGA Edition Core Rulebook or the new rules if you have been following SWRPGs for a while) I would look at Amazon where I suspect it costs about $26 and should be a second printing which contains most (all?) of the errata.

As for finding the SAGA rules online you should not be able to. The SAGA rules aren't open content and neither is the StarWars content so although I've seen them posted online it isn't legal.
Ruhk
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:33:04 PM

A lot of player will simply download *.pdf copies of the books. A quick google search should be able to turn up something. But, there nothing quite like having an actual book to reference to. PDFs are a good way to tide you over until you play enough to make it worth your while to invest in real copies.
seibermaki
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:59:48 PM

aren't PDFs also considered copyright infringement?
TreebeardTheEnt
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:04:57 PM

PDF's are copyright infringement, and Lucas Film is very protective of its legal rights.
dnemiller
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:52:13 PM

TreebeardTheEnt wrote:
PDF's are copyright infringement, and Lucas Film is very protective of its legal rights.

Yes PDF's are a copyright infringement but several things are.

Officially Vassal would qualify as a copyright infringement what usually keeps the lawyers at bay is whether or not it is free. The PDF's they are talking about are free.

So the decision will be left to you to make about PDF's.

I use PDF's for the books I dont own yet and it helps me make my purchasing decision. Although the PDF's are nice the book is much easier to work with. So the 5 PDF's I have right now are just tiding me over until I get all of the books.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:59:36 PM

just download the The Index for the classes it gives a short answer what everything does and gives you a page number what book it is from. Its on the RPG forums somewhere. Its like our Bloomilk milk/MM in a way. It is a excel file.
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:19:41 PM

though you can also Legally buy the pdfs(at least for some rpgs, though I don't know if Wizards does this)
mercenary_moose
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:09:25 PM

Sweet! Someone else on here plays RPG too!

Anyway, it is certainly worth the 40 bucks to get your own rulebook. I poured over the core rulebook from 2000 for hours and hours just to comprehend the rules. (I did get 'em down though.) You could probably find one used for half the price on eBay though; I did. Go strictly for the core books; the add-ons are just a waste of good money.

If you have any general questions about RPG though, feel free to PM me, and I'll see if I can help you.
StevenO
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:23:32 PM

mercenary_moose wrote:
Sweet! Someone else on here plays RPG too!

Anyway, it is certainly worth the 40 bucks to get your own rulebook. I poured over the core rulebook from 2000 for hours and hours just to comprehend the rules. (I did get 'em down though.) You could probably find one used for half the price on eBay though; I did. Go strictly for the core books; the add-ons are just a waste of good money.

If you have any general questions about RPG though, feel free to PM me, and I'll see if I can help you.

OMG Do NOT go for the Y2K version of the rules. I don't recall if those are what we refer to as the Original Core Rules (OCR) or Revised Core Rules (RCR) but in either case they are very outdated and almost universally seen as inferior to the current SAGA edition ruleset. Go with the SAGA rules and you shouldn't be disappointed as they are more flexible but in many ways easier to comprehend.

As for SWRPG questions I suggest you head over to the Wizard's boards where I and others are usually more than happy to help someone out.
adminsidious
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:28:04 PM

I'm also pretty hardcore involved in the RPG. Maybe not as knowledgeable about it as StevenO however.

I've been working for some time on a project to open a live, 24/7, free chat game of Saga ed. (which imho is not just the best cut of Star Wars rules do date, it may be the best D20 product I've played in my 20 odd years of gaming.) My project unfortunately ran out of money, however I'd probably do a disservice to my friend Burne if I didn't plug his still in it's inception Saga Chat Game. Star Wars: A Fading Hope.

http://www.swonlinerp.com/forum/index.php
ugavine
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:51:06 PM

I'd have to suggest getting your own copy of the Saga Core rulebook. You need it if you're going to GM.

The Saga rules are pretty solid, my biggest gripe of the Core rulebook being the cost when they recycled lots of artwork.

On it's own the Core rulebook is good. Add in some of the other books such as Wretched Hives, Legacy or KOTOR and you suddenly have a fantastic RPG.

Couple of decent RPG sites;
http://holonet.swrpgnetwork.com/
http://saga-edition.com/
Mickey
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:59:43 AM

There is also this set of rules that was developed from the SWM pieces and cards

http://www.atlantaswg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=135:star-wars-miniatures-campaign-edition&catid=39:swm-ce&Itemid=92
thodafett
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:29:28 AM

Also the old West End Games D6 SWRPG is fantastic if you can find the books. They are all over Amazon and if you do some hunting you usually can get some great deals. The line ended right before the prequels so there is really nothing set in that era or the following Clone Wars or jedi Purge eras. However if you want a Rebellion or New republic era(up to the NJO timeline) campaign setting, this is a very very detailed and large game. They do have a tales of the Jedi era book as well, it is normally very expensive, I own it and have found it to not be overly helpful.
Volvagia14
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:44:55 AM

Hey topher, your welcome to join us anytime :)
and we may have that copy from the library, I think they only have one :P
Uggie Demo
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:14:02 AM

Volvagia14 wrote:

Sweet irony!!!
Topher_Champion_Of_The_Force
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:34:07 AM

Volvagia14 wrote:

THAT may be why i ordered the books two weeks ago
and they STILL aren't in. thanks for letting me know.

PS: thanks for all the help eveybody, if anybody has
anything else to say this topic is still open, and i'm
always glad to see knew info.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 3:28:42 PM

One bit of advice for when you actually play the game:

Besides the general supplies (armor, weapons, medpacks, etc.), there are 3 pieces of equipment I highly recommend you have in your party:

1) A datapad. Use it as a diary to keep track of anything important so you don't have to rely on your own memory about random, trivial things from 3 weeks ago that are now suddenly important for the current session.

2) Restraining cuffs. You never know when you'll have to take a prisoner, and it's generally not the most efficient to have one of your party members stuck keeping the prisoner in a bear hug.

3) Rope. Rope is useful as hell. It's simply a great multi-purpose tool that can be used in so many different ways that you'll be glad that you brought some along when you go off on missions.
seibermaki
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:07:21 PM

EmporerDragon wrote:
One bit of advice for when you actually play the game:

Besides the general supplies (armor, weapons, medpacks, etc.), there are 3 pieces of equipment I highly recommend you have in your party:

1) A datapad. Use it as a diary to keep track of anything important so you don't have to rely on your own memory about random, trivial things from 3 weeks ago that are now suddenly important for the current session.

2) Restraining cuffs. You never know when you'll have to take a prisoner, and it's generally not the most efficient to have one of your party members stuck keeping the prisoner in a bear hug.

3) Rope. Rope is useful as hell. It's simply a great multi-purpose tool that can be used in so many different ways that you'll be glad that you brought some along when you go off on missions.

awesome suggestions!

I've decided if people play Rebel(or any faction that has standard supplies most likely GIVEN to them), to just have packages of stuff that include the above 3 things... like an Adventurer's Kit or some such...