RegisterDonateLogin

Has the death sentence on twelve systems.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Swedish Championship 2009 Report Options
Ukezwoll
Posted: Wednesday, November 11, 2009 12:45:33 AM
Groups: Member

On October 31'st the Swedish Championship in Star Wars Miniatures was held. Like previous years the format was 150 points and 13 players competed for the title. Several different kinds of squads was represented which contributed to a rich game play and entertaining games.

I went 5-0 and was eventually able to win the title with this squad:

54 Cad Bane
32 Thrawn (Mitth'raw'nuruodo)
27 Lobot
11 Admiral Ozzel
8 Mas Amedda
8 Gran Raider x2
4 Tusken Raider
6 Ugnaught Demolitionist x2

Lobot Reinforcements:
13 Amanin Scout
7 Duros Scout

Map: Chancellor's Starship a.k.a. ”Throne Room”

Since Cad Bane is a quite recent figure the squad could be perceived as fairly untried. The general manner in which to play the squad is however well known, as Vader swap squads have been played for a long time.

So, while untried you could still say it's a squad that's very distinct, it knows what it is and what it does. Also I'd previously played Thrawn shooter swaps, knew their characteristics and enjoyed playing them.

Reports from games with these kind of squads can be found at:

http://www.bloomilk.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3707
http://www.swmgamers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=693 (requires login)

As these squads are all played in the same very unambiguous manner, out activate, swap a damage dealer into position, attack and then to avoid counterattacks, they could be characterized as fairly simplistic overall. That said, the version above with Mas Amedda and the Amanin Scout does exhibit a very high degree of flexibility on the lower ”tactical” level. Together these two figures figures provides an extreme reach and substantial leeway in choosing from where to attack. Greater Mobile Attack provides the damage dealer with additional reach but may also be used to finish its activation in a protected position.

While it is obvious how this kind of squad will be played to those which previously have encountered it, the exact position from where the attacks will be made can on the contrary be quite unpredictable given the number of alternatives available.

The inclusion of Cad Bane was not planned. While it was clear he was very much suited to this kind of squad, I did not have the figure and could not expect to acquire it before the Championship. It was conceivable I'd run into him though. The idea was to use two medium damage dealers instead of Cad, possibly Jarael, Zaalbar or Echani Handmaidens. The disadvantage of this arrangement being that less firepower can be swapped into position and so less damage will be done to the enemy while they approach. The advantage being that even if one damage dealer is taken out, the squad will still be able to function properly. Also if the damage dealers have different characteristics, you can choose the most appropriate damage dealer for a given target. However as I pulled Cad Bane in the sealed tournament right before, he seemed the simpler, safer and more easily played alternative for the Championship.

Game 1

vs. Virre
Result: 167 – 0
Map: Chancellor's Starship

49 The Jedi Exile
47 Mira
18 Old Republic Commander
13 Jawa Scavenger
23 additional points:
(13 Czerka Scientist?
5 Old Republic Guard?
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist?)

I don't really see what Virre could have done here beside what he did, that is to be completely obliterated. To play an Old Republic squad is a challenge in itself and in this case Virre apparently got hold of his squad right before our game. Mira and the Jedi Exile provides decent firepower. Unfortunately the squad lack both reach and protection from ranged attacks. Virre chose the Throne Room side and advanced along the upper approach. As soon as he'd out activated I merely swapped Cad Bane into an attack position and eliminated one or two of the Old Republic representatives. Next round the same procedure. It was not long before the game was decided, to the degree that it was possible to maximize VP gained by defeating the remaining enemies in the right order. It was not entirely satisfactory to run over an opponent like this but at the same time it was a Championship game where VP acted as a tie breaker so there was not much of a choice.

Game 2

vs. Legba24
Result: Approximately 130 – 15
Map: Freight Transit Station

51 Durge, Jedi Hunter
49 Darth Tyranus, Legacy of the Dark Side
21 GenoHaradan Assassin
15 Lobot, Computer Liasion Officer
10 San Hill
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist?

Legba24 chose his map, Freight Transit Station but it was no cause for any concern. I had previously played a game on Vassal (vs. ein_elf) against the very squad I myself now used and lost big time. I opted for the right side as this had proved quite successful for my erstwhile opponent and set up my pieces in cover. Even though Legba24 had San Hill i out activated him by a considerable margin and having done so I was able to in the first round move my Amanin Scout 18 squares and swap it for Cad Bane, which was able to eliminate the GenoHaradan Assassin. Then the pressure was for my opponent to advance. This proved difficult however as my activations allowed me not only to wait for my opponent to out activate but also to open and close doors as I pleased. Tyranus and Durge eventually advanced towards the gambit area. Darth Tyranus then cut down a Gran Raider I had advanced top side for a possible swap. This attack however allowed me to instead move Lobot and swap him for Cad Bane, which could do a full no cover attack vs. Tyranus. Tyranus went down fast and it was not long before Durge also was defeated by Cad, which of course sealed the game. Freight Transit Station may have been even better for this squad than my own map and it was very difficult for the Separatists to advance without exposing themselves. At the same time their lack of Evade and Deflect meant it was not a great challenge for Cad to shoot anything which exposed itself to pieces.

Game 3

vs. Echtelion
Result: Approximately 40 – 20

48 Vader's Apprentice, Redeemed
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
27 Luke Skywalker, Rebel Commando
20 Princess Leia
14 General Rieekan
9 General Dodonna
8 Obi Wan Kenobi, Jedi Spirit
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

Echtelion took the Throne Room side and set up by the door. He then spent the first round moving his pieces to the Turbo Lift ahead. Once my opponent had out activated the plan was to open the first door with Lobot, move the Amanin Scout adjacent to the second door and swap it for Cad. This would have given Cad the opportunity to attack the Ugnaught and possibly Han Solo as well. With the Ugnaught gone it would have been possible to next round activate Lobot and lock the door to the Throne Room to prevent the whole Rebel Squad from leaving. A positioning error with the Amanin Scout however meant he could not get all the way. Cad would be exposed to return fire had he tried to attack. It would not do and so the opportunity was squandered. This was a considerable set back. The reach provided by the Amanin Scout and Mas Amedda is by no means guaranteed to provide an opportunity for an immediate surprise attack, but in three of these championship games I was in fact able to grab an early lead this way. To lose such an opportunity means you lose a possibly decisive advantage. Now it became much more problematic. Luke's ability to levitate gave the Rebels a dangerous reach. And because it was not only necessary to open doors for Cad to be able to attack, but also necessary to ensure he was not trapped and subject to return fire it proved difficult to find an opening. Due to insufficient foresight I instead seemed to constantly end up one activation short. As it was, Vader's Apprentice instead made it all the way into the Gambit area with little trouble. Cad then took a few fairly ill advised shots at Vader's Apprentice which did little damage. In return Cad took 50 damage from VAR and lost an activation. Thrawn then manage to swap Cad into cover but the situation does not look good. I advance the Amanin Scout and the Duros Scout to attack the Rebel Ugnaught. Hopefully this would force the Rebels to move a very long way in order to attack. Both Scouts however manage to miss the Ugnaught completely with lousy rolls. Point wise it's now close as I've taken a few gambits and Echtelion have killed some fodder. The Rebels now exit the outer door leading from the Throne Room and only the locked door to the Landing Platform prevents them from attacking Cad and Lobot. Commando Luke is positioned between this locked door and the outer door to the Throne Room. In a desperate attempt to score a few points Ozzel now moves within six from Luke and is swapped for Cad Bane. Cad then moves six to base Luke and with a timely crit not only manages to eliminate Luke and Obi Wan, Jedi Spirit but also the adjacent Ugnaught Demolitionist. So not only am I now in the lead but Echtelion can not open the front door to the Landing Platform where all my pieces now can hide. Next round Cad is swapped to where he can't be attacked and even though Ozzel may have been eliminated, the Rebels now have too far to go before they can attack and time is up before they can score the necessary points.

Game 4

vs. Tjuppis
Result: Approximately 155 - 5

30 Xizor
24 Rodian Black Sun Vigo?
40 Bith Black Sun Vigo x2
36 Twilek Black Sun Vigo x2
5 ?

Tjuppis set up on the side with the Landing Platform in a line formation and headed straight for the center of the map. First or second round I swap the Amanin for Cad and eliminate a TBSV. Tjuppis still had the upper hand in terms of firepower though so Cad retreats back into the Throne Room and Lobot then lock the door. Tjuppis positions two BBSV's in the gambit area between the central doors. When Tjuppis has out activated I blow up the locked door and swap Cad so he's adjacent to both Bith Black Sun Vigos and with good attack rolls he's able to eliminate both of them. Now it's more of a clean up operation where Tjuppis retreat and hope to get reserves from Lobot while I advance and one by one take out his remaining figures.

Game 5

vs. Thorfluff
Map: Rattatak Arena
Result: Approximately 40 – 5

54 Kyle Katarn, Jedi Battle Master
25 Leia Skywalker, Jedi Knight
23 General Wedge Antilles
18 Twilek Black Sun Vigo
9 General Dodonna
6 Mouse Droid x2?

This is the last game and it's certainly not the ideal opponent I'm facing. Disruptive and Evade both spells trouble for Cad and with double Evade from Leia the possibility for Cad to do any kind of significant damage without basing is close to zero. Should he on the other hand attempt to base Kyle he'd lose Opportunist to Kyle's Disruptive. Fact is Kyle seemed so tough it probably was best to avoid him entirely. Unfortunately it would later show that Kyle did not share any corresponding desire to avoid Cad. First round both sides advance carefully. Second round the New Republic squad may have advanced a few additional squares, in any event Kyle is leading the advance even though he stays in cover. Once the New Republic have out activated the Amanin Scout moves 18 squares and barely manage to find an angle from which only Leia is a legal target. Which of course is very good, since she is the only opponent of significance which lack Evade and it's possible to do any damage to. The Amanin is swapped for Cad and having eliminated Leia he retreats a few steps. What then happens is a bit unclear. Possibly Cad retreats 12 steps the next round. Why he is not swapped to safety I can not recall but it is clear that he does not retreat fast enough. Kyle spends an FP to move 14 squares and so manage to disrupt Cad Bane. No more swap for Cad then, which is a bit troublesome. He's now positioned maybe 3-4 squares into the imperial side of the map. Next round Cad attacks Kyle and then retreats six squares. Clearly an error on my part as the damage to Kyle is insignificant and while unable to attack he still manages to hit Cad with his Grenades 40. Cad makes the save though and it turns out to be decisive. Next init I roll the dreaded ”1” and naturally Kyle then use his Greater Mobile Attack to attack Cad three times for 60 damage. A failed grenade save in the previous round round and the game had been a loss. Cad is then however able to move twelve squares with flight past the chairs and into the lower passage and safety. In addition the Amanin Scout is able to kill Lobot. Now the distance to the Imperial forces is too much to allow Kyle and the others to score any additional points before the game is over.

Concluding remarks:

Thrawn is the core of this squad. His contribution is added firepower from his Opportunist command effect. In addition he provides increased reach with his Swap command effect. The purpose of the remaining figures is to develop what Thrawn contributes. Admiral Ozzel along with a high number of activations makes it possible to out activate the opponent and utilize the added firepower Opportunist provides against activated opponents. Lobot allows for the optimization of the number of activations in addition to his crucial Override ability. To make this squad function it is important, perhaps even necessary to out activate the opponent. However once sufficient out-activation is ensured there are other abilities which could and often should be prioritized. Mas Amedda drastically increase the reach of Thrawns command effects. In combination with the ability of the Amanin Scout Thrawns swap reach is maximized and so the distance which this squad is able to move a damage dealer every round.

In effect this provides the ability to every round out activate the opponent, move the Amanin Scout 18 squares, swap the Amanin for a damage dealer and then attack. The objective is to be able to attack from a greater distance than the opponent and hopefully eliminate opponents while they are too far away to be able to themselves attack. The limitation is that this reach does not extend to the whole squad but only the one piece Thrawn is able to swap every turn. To be able to do as much damage as possible at this great range a piece with as much firepower as possible should be swapped. This is where Cad Bane really shines. With four attacks he can benefit from Thrawn's Opportunist four times. In addition Greater Mobile Attack allows Cad to take cover following his attacks, very useful in particular when that unfortunate ”1” on the initiative roll would allow the opponent to send his meanest figure for Cad.

All in all this results in a squad able to hit hard over a great distance. Its reach and the ability to out activate provides great leeway with respect to where and when an attack should be made. Should the opponent be unprepared for this unusual reach there is a good chance he could be taken by surprise early on with an attack against an exposed piece. The squad could be compared to an attack helicopter in terms of what it does. It's possible to go far and strike hard, often against an unprepared opponent. Meanwhile it's recommendable to get out of there as soon as the attack has been made. This because Cad Bane just as the previously mentioned attack helicopter is to be considered a very mobile glass cannon. If the opponent is at all given an opportunity to return fire it will get very unpleasant very soon. Also it takes a lot of support without any firepower of its own to speak of, for this very mobile glass cannon to function properly. Should the opponent be able to reach this support and for example eliminate Mas Amedda or Thrawn its functionality will be substantially reduced. The price paid for all this mobility is thus primarily in terms of resilience. Cad Bane really can't absorb any hits at all. It is necessary to defeat the opponent before they can reach Thrawn and the other support pieces and also Cad Bane must do this without being attacked.

A defining characteristic of this kind of squad is that the end result often can be very slanted. 167 – 0 vs. the Old Republic squad in the first game would seem to be the rule rather than the exception. The reason would be that this kind of shooter swap squad does not include trading mutual blows. Such as when two pieces with Light sabers start taking pieces out of each other until one of them takes a mortal blow and the other slowly and painfully raises his fist as a sign of victory. Cad does not do that, for the very simple reason that he'd then be done for. A squad of Jedi Weapon Masters will continuously lose offensive power as they engage and JWM's are defeated. The above squad with Cad Bane often will not lose any firepower at all as long as Cad is not defeated. This because Cad's admittedly weak support often will be difficult to reach. With Cad Bane and Thrawn it's all or nothing. Should Cad be eliminated his squad probably won't score many additional points. But if the opponent is unable to do so and instead continuously lose pieces and firepower, his chances to eliminate Cad Bane will be diminished too and the risk of a complete wipe out imminent.
Nefertiti
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:13:47 AM

Wonderful report, I loved reading it. Congrats for the win!
Ukezwoll
Posted: Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:58:24 AM

Thanks!