RegisterDonateLogin

Very fast, very dangerous.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Brainstorming Ideas for Emperor Palpatine on Throne Options
Joasht
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 4:53:01 AM
Groups: Member

I managed to crack him today from a booster, and it got me thinking....
The most obvious way would be to use him with some force user, preferably someone with a form of direct damage (Vader's Apprentice, Disciple of Ragnos, etc) or just to provide a pseudo-force replenish to fuel their abilities.

However, given that even non-force users can benefit from him, I was thinking that its very viable to use him as a somewhat "three of your units get to reroll their attack once per turn". Combine this with several characters with decent damage and attack values (e.g. 10+ attack, ideally 30+ damage), and you have something going there.

So I was wondering, how do you guys use him?

Thanks!
Ruhk
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 5:07:32 AM

Pair him with Vader, Unleashed.
Wysten
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 5:31:00 AM

Aye, how you use him is the best way, to enhance their aim and allow them to hit more consistantly. ^^

Of course, it's best to use a major force users with a appitate, but who can be used in a flexable manner. Force Unleashed Vader is probably the best example of someone to use in a balienced emp squad. He can either use Palp to fuel his lightsaber throws and grips to act as a potent ranged killer in his own right, or use Force Sense to clear away super stealth in a productive manner against super stealth to allow the other shooters to blast away unapposed while he engages another foe in melee combat while Palp helps those shooters hit the target.

The apprentice meanwhile is purely aggressive and is even more effective while you are winning with the activation saves and potencial for huge damage, but is less flexabile then Vader and has a shorter range, not to mention taking a huge toll on how many forcepoints are avaible to the shooting element. I personally prefer Vader, but the apprentice is incredably effective with Thawn.

Palp is probably an equal to Thawn in terms of commander effect, as well as the best force battery in the game with the rebels in second.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 7:01:37 AM

If you want to pair him up with a Vader, Vader Unleashed and Vader, CotS both make excellent choices.
Wysten
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 7:15:08 AM

He also works well with charcters with Evade or parry, as free rerolls will naturally make your charcters more resistant. Though not so useful with charcters with Lightsaber deflect and such, due to the fact they will probably be killed by the time you need to apply palps force unless lucky.
Darth O
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 8:39:39 AM

Vader, Dark Jedi, so they don't have a force rating, but can reroll 1s, so you can essentially pick who dies and who gets +2 attack.
Squid89
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 2:20:29 PM

I like using the Nightsister Sith Witch with Palps for those extra lightning attacks as she moves into melee position. Also, Arica is nice since she can use her points to Blaster Barrage and Palpy's to reroll a miss or reroll twice or move extra and still reroll - you get the idea. Mara Jade works too, I just like the Arica piece better.
RevRevGar
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 5:48:35 PM

Viable with a Tweak

This is a top level squad using Palps on Throne. It got third or second in our regionals... I cant remember. But its good squad.
joelker41
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2009 6:09:53 PM

The most popular usage for Palpy on Throne is Vader Unleashed and Gripping a bunch of turns in a row. Nice to have around since Vader is really bland and uninteresting when not using his Grip or Throw.

My favorite mini to pair with him is Vader's Apprentice Unleashed (aka VAU). Force Lightning 4 or 5 multiple times activates figures and does mass damage, something Vader doesn't do. VAU lets you set up other attackers like Opportunist shooters (very good synergy with Mitth'raw'nuruodo).

It is hard to know which is more competitive but Vader is considered more deadly since his Grip works just on LOS rather than the range 6 of VAU's Lightnings.

Palpy works best when he has a happy median of large FP consumption (Vader/VAU) and figures that can burn FPs on rerolls (Jarael, Evade figures in general) or low cost shooters like say an Evo Trooper swarm.

DarthKurt
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 3:34:35 AM

I think the Palpy Potty works great with Vader's Apprentice.
Jonnyb815
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:28:11 AM

Well He is a great shield that can sit in gambit. He has a great CE that I use for Movement for Shooters or Jarael. Anyone with Lighting 2 is great for use. VAR or vader uleashed is great. Vader SOTJ Thrawn and him isnt a bad combo.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:33:51 AM

SOTJ and Unleashed are my fave uses for him. Also, don't forget about the Disciple of Ragnos. They can be quite a pain in the arse if used properly.
DarthReeves
Posted: Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:37:05 AM

Squid89 wrote:
I like using the Nightsister Sith Witch with Palps for those extra lightning attacks as she moves into melee position. Also, Arica is nice since she can use her points to Blaster Barrage and Palpy's to reroll a miss or reroll twice or move extra and still reroll - you get the idea. Mara Jade works too, I just like the Arica piece better.

I totally agree with the Nightsister Sith Witches. Use a thrawn swap to just make them show up and shock people and then leave to recharge.

Also, Even though it is pricey, it's nice to have a Roan Fel with more force points. Even disintegration pales in comparison with the feeling you get when you Cortosis someone. Yoda on Kybuck runs by and...can no longer do any damage....it is CLASSIC
Kaxel Vofer
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 5:34:24 AM

Imade an squad with Darth Vader, U; Vader's Apprentice, U; Arica, Nightsister Sith Witch and Disciple of Ragnos, and I get a lot of fun with this squad, it's almost unstoppable, only have a lot of troubles when facing a Squad of Vongs, greettings.