RegisterDonateLogin

More addictive than death sticks.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

thinking up new game changing abilities Options
adidamps2
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2009 3:08:34 AM
Groups: Member

Covering Fire: replaces turn; Enemy characters who move through & or attack with-in LOS of this character are subject to 1 immediate attack from this character; allies recieve +4 def so long as the attacking piece is also in LOS of the character with Covering Fire.*

*I wanted to represent how military units try to move forward torward an enemy unit using a "you move, I'll cover" concept.

Searching Fire: Replaces turn; -4 att, may attack all enemy character with-in LOS, ignoring cover for purposes of special abilities that rely on cover. Cover def bonus still applies.**

**what I tried to do here is simulate how GI's in Vietnam would at times fire into the jungle to hit hidden targets they where sure was there, but not quite sure of the location.

Self Sacrafice: when an area effect attack affects this character and an adjacent character(s), this character, on a roll of 11, instead takes all of the damage to be dealt to all adjacent characters.

No Retreat: This character may only move forward or laterally from his current position. On a save of 16 this character may move backwards.***

*** this was made specifically for a guy in our group...who is known to move backwards from his starting position at the start of the game even! lol

No Surrender: this character recieves a +4 bonus against any ability/force power that would activate and/or casue this character to take a turn.

Grenade Launcher X: range: 16 sqaures, other wise same as a standard grenade

Strong Arm: this character has a range of 12 squares with the SA grenades X.

Squid89
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2009 8:09:20 AM

adidamps2 wrote:

Searching Fire: Replaces turn; -4 att, may attack all enemy character with-in LOS, ignoring cover for purposes of special abilities that rely on cover. Cover def bonus still applies.**

**what I tried to do here is simulate how GI's in Vietnam would at times fire into the jungle to hit hidden targets they where sure was there, but not quite sure of the location.

This one intrigues me. It could become very abusive with Twin Attack CE from Whorm or Mando Captain. That could be avoided based on whether or not it is a follower or which faction(s) and the cost, etc. but would be a real pain. Kinda like Blaster Barrage with Accurate Shot, but lower attack. What if you only made the damage 10 regardless of the character as the bullets (lasers) are randomly fired and probably would not be direct hits for big damage?

Keep the ideas coming. Fun thread.
adidamps2
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2009 9:06:26 AM

Squid89 wrote:
adidamps2 wrote:

This one intrigues me. It could become very abusive with Twin Attack CE from Whorm or Mando Captain. That could be avoided based on whether or not it is a follower or which faction(s) and the cost, etc. but would be a real pain. Kinda like Blaster Barrage with Accurate Shot, but lower attack. What if you only made the damage 10 regardless of the character as the bullets (lasers) are randomly fired and probably would not be direct hits for big damage?

I suppose a base 10 damage would work too; also as the character is firing in this manner the piece is subjecting himself to return fire, he will have to be partially exposed to who ever he is firing at. Plus the character is esentially taking a -8 (cover, plus -4 attack) to his die roll to hit.

could also word it to not take advantage of things like "Targeting" or "Trap" "Range Finder" SA's or combining fire.
TreebeardTheEnt
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2009 10:27:05 PM

adidamps2 wrote:
Covering Fire: replaces turn; Enemy characters who move through & or attack with-in LOS of this character are subject to 1 immediate attack from this character; allies recieve +4 def so long as the attacking piece is also in LOS of the character with Covering Fire.

If you are going to have an ability like this there needs to be a draw back. Cover fire is normally not very accurate so taking into account game wording and trying to keep thing simple... maybe something like this:

Covering Fire: replaces turn; Until the the start of the next round whenever an enemy characters move with-in LOS of this character make an attack of opportunity at -4 attack, no other special abilities apply; allies who begin there move with in 4 squares of this character receive +4 defense.

Now you are using only your base stats (no Opportunist, etc.), you have a negative to your attack for reacting to movement, and you can only attack any given character once no matter how far they move in your LOS. I know it is less real world accurate, but I believe it makes it more balanced in-game.
adidamps2
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 4:04:26 AM

adidamps2 wrote:
Squid89 wrote:
adidamps2 wrote:

I suppose a base 10 damage would work too; also as the character is firing in this manner the piece is subjecting himself to return fire, he will have to be partially exposed to who ever he is firing at. Plus the character is esentially taking a -8 (cover, plus -4 attack) to his die roll to hit.

could also word it to not take advantage of things like "Targeting" or "Trap" "Range Finder" SA's or combining fire.

Searching Fire: Replaces turn; on a roll of 6+, this character may make an attack at an enemy character that is in cover. -4 att, Ignore cover for purposes of special abilities that rely on cover. Cover def bonus still applies. This ability may not be combined with Targeting, Trap, Ranger Finder SA’s nor can it be used with combined fire.

I think this more represents what I was trying to do…as it calls for the attacking piece to make a decent guess before they can fire at the “hidden” opponents’ piece.

TreebeardTheEnt wrote:
adidamps2 wrote:
Covering Fire: replaces turn; Enemy characters who move through & or attack with-in LOS of this character are subject to 1 immediate attack from this character; allies recieve +4 def so long as the attacking piece is also in LOS of the character with Covering Fire.

If you are going to have an ability like this there needs to be a draw back. Cover fire is normally not very accurate so taking into account game wording and trying to keep thing simple... maybe something like this:

Covering Fire: replaces turn; Until the the start of the next round whenever an enemy characters move with-in LOS of this character make an attack of opportunity at -4 attack, no other special abilities apply; allies who begin there move with in 4 squares of this character receive +4 defense.

Now you are using only your base stats (no Opportunist, etc.), you have a negative to your attack for reacting to movement, and you can only attack any given character once no matter how far they move in your LOS. I know it is less real world accurate, but I believe it makes it more balanced in-game.

Thanks and I like it…ironically on the way to work this morning I was thinking of this ability and how I probably didn’t put as much thought into my wording as I should have. What you offered probably better fits what I intended…as I am not the best worder for some of the idea’s I have lol

And how about a few others…

Missile Targeting Acquisition Device or maybe Just Missile Targeting: Select one legal target, that piece now has to roll 16 or better to avoid missile damage; until this character is defeated or the start of this character next turn.

Suppressive Fire: Replaces turn, any enemy character that crosses this characters LOS either has to move at ½ speed or is subject to one attack of opportunity. -4 attack.

Reactive fire*: Whenever this character is hit by a non-melee attack, make a save of 11. On a success, this character can make an immediate attack at -4 against that attacker.

*Djem So for non-melee basically and a penalty to the attack.

Stun Grenade: Replaces attacks: range 6; target and each character adjacent to that target are considered activated; save 11

Greater Rolling Cleave: When this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, it can immediately move 1 square and then make 1 attack against another adjacent enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 4:29:20 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

adidamps2 wrote:
Greater Rolling Cleave: When this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, it can immediately move 1 square and then make 1 attack against another adjacent enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Umm, that is exactly how Rollilng Cleave works. Check the glossary.
adidamps2
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 4:39:48 AM

Sithborg wrote:
adidamps2 wrote:

Umm, that is exactly how Rollilng Cleave works. Check the glossary.

IANM you can only "Cleave" once though...you can not cleave a target then cleave another and another and another...I could be wrong...but I am positive that that's how the group I play in said it works...one move and one additional attack. period.

If I can rolling cleave till hearts content that would make my day!ThumbsUp

according to BLOOMILK glossary

Rolling Cleave
Once per turn, if this character defeats an adjacent enemy by making an attack, it can immediately move 1 square and then make 1 attack against another adjacent enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 4:47:58 AM

Hmm, missed that ommission.
Mandelmauler
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 5:15:45 AM

Sithborg wrote:

SB, you are probably remembering the original version on Maul's (?) card. There was an errata at some time to once per turn.
adidamps2
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 5:28:30 AM

Mandelmauler wrote:
Sithborg wrote:

SB, you are probably remembering the original version on Maul's (?) card. There was an errata at some time to once per turn.

SO I just want to check and make sure that the GRC I "made" is NOT the same as RC already in print...Blushing
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 5:45:24 AM

I missed the ommision in Greater Mobile Attack. I remember Rolling Cleave perfectly fine.
Mandelmauler
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 9:16:04 AM

My mistake.
adidamps2
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 5:27:28 AM

For poops and giggles I offer these idea's as well:

Jedi Hatred*: -4 attack, +20 damage against force users. Not stackable with Jedi Hunter. On a successful attack this character must make save of 11 or gain Savage Jedi Hunter.
* I guess this could be force power too/instead?

Savage Jedi Hunter: This character must end its move next to an enemy with a force rating if it can and does not benefit from commander effects as long as there is a force user in the opponents squad left.

Guided Missile X: Replaces turn: range: 12 squares regardless of line of sight; X damage to selected target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11

EMP missile x: Replaces attacks: sight; x damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11. A nonliving character that is subject to this character's missile ability is considered activated this round; save 16.

Concussion Missile x: Replaces attacks: sight; x damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target; save 11. A living character hit by this character's missile ability is considered activated this round; save 16.

Magma Flamethrower: Replaces attacks: range 6; x damage to target and to each character adjacent to that target. Each time the flamed character activates, it must attempt a save of 11. On a failure, that character takes x damage. On a success, that character is no longer flamed.

Lightsaber Sunder: replaces attack. -4 attack; no damage is dealt. Whenever this character makes a successful attack against an enemy with a lightsaber, the opponent must make a save of 11 or better or that enemy gets -20 Damage for the rest of the skirmish.

Force Power:

Teleportation: replaces turn, range LOS, force points # of squares moved dived by 2. This character can teleport to any legal square with-in LOS without provoking an AoO.

Lightsaber Accuracy or Accurate Strike: force 1; This character gets +4 attack on its next attack.

Lightsaber Suppression 1: Force 2; useable against an adjacent enemy with a lightsaber, that enemy gets -20 Damage for the rest of the Turn; target must roll an 11 or better on a save

Lightsaber Supression 2: Force 4; range 6 squares, all characters with in 6 squares with a lightsaber, must roll an 11 or better on a save, or receive -20 Damage for the rest of the Turn;
shatterpoint7
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:52:51 PM

Turret (This charcter may not activate, unless the following condition is met: 2 characters must replace thier turn adjacent to this character. This charcter now counts as one of your actiavtions)
Squid89
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:02:57 PM

What about:

Slicer (At the end of its turn, this character can designate 1 door - even one controlled by the Override special ability - that it can see as open or closed; it remains open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until it is defeated. Other characters can’t open or close that door unless they use the Slicer special ability themselves.)

Master Slicer (At the end of its turn, this character can designate up to 2 doors - even one controlled by the Override special ability - that it can see as open or closed; they remain open or closed until the end of this character's next turn, or until it is defeated. Other characters can’t open or close those doors unless they use the Slicer special ability themselves.)

Lengthy descriptions, but that would be more like the glossary listing. Basically an advanced form of Override - like a reboot of door control options. Would not make override obsolete, but could add a different level. I was thinking Master Slicer would fit with Robonino (that fishy character from the CW who locks down the Senate for Cad). Maybe some other Unique for the Slicer ability. Best not to see it appear on a non-unique like Override on R7.
Dead horse
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 12:12:11 AM

Incinerator X - replaces attacks, range 6; X damage to target and to each character adjacent to target; damage is not altered or prevented by special abilities that reduce damage.

Regeneration Field X - replaces turn; remove X damage from living allies within 2 squares.

Portable - this character may move along with any ally that begins its' move adjacent; that ally may move up to double their speed as normal but may not attack while carrying this character; this character is not considered to have moved or activated when carried; at end of move this character must be placed in an empty square adjacent to the carrier or is considered defeated.

Impulsive Assault - when a unique allied character is defeated, this character may immediately move up to 12 squares, then attack each legal target once.

First two are inspired by the Bothan Spy from Battlefront II, the third by the sniper class' autoturrets, and the last I came up with when trying to make custom stats for Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper Armor.
blainesmom
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 6:41:09 AM

here are a couple we have used
Willing to follow( this character counts as a follower for allied (faction specific) commander effects. (some people also call it Sergeant)

Circuit override (replaces turn: Sight; choose 1 allied non-unique droid, that character takes an immediate turn, which does not count as one of your activations this phase, even if it has already been activated this round. The target character may only move up to half its speed this round)

Jack of all trades (when counting spaces for special non-attack/non- offensive ablillites (EG: blaster upgrade, roger roger) with a range limit of 6 you may also count from this character.)

Lightwhip 20 (Replaces attacks; Range 3; Make 1 attack against any enemy at +8 for 20 damage. This still counts as a melee attack.)

Order 66 survivor (may not be in a squad with order 66 characters)

Blaster Deflect (force 1, when hit by a non-melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 6) [based from laranth tarak, jedi palidin custom i made]

FIrkrann light saber Crystal( +20 damage against adjacent nonliving targets)

just some of the ideas i have had and used.

oh and i love the cover fire.
mercenary_moose
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 12:03:51 PM

blainesmom wrote:
here are a couple we have used
Willing to follow( this character counts as a follower for allied (faction specific) commander effects. (some people also call it Sergeant)

Circuit override (replaces turn: Sight; choose 1 allied non-unique droid, that character takes an immediate turn, which does not count as one of your activations this phase, even if it has already been activated this round. The target character may only move up to half its speed this round)

Jack of all trades (when counting spaces for special non-attack/non- offensive ablillites (EG: blaster upgrade, roger roger) with a range limit of 6 you may also count from this character.)

Lightwhip 20 (Replaces attacks; Range 3; Make 1 attack against any enemy at +8 for 20 damage. This still counts as a melee attack.)

Order 66 survivor (may not be in a squad with order 66 characters)

Blaster Deflect (force 1, when hit by a non-melee attack, this character takes no damage with a save of 6) [based from laranth tarak, jedi palidin custom i made]

FIrkrann light saber Crystal( +20 damage against adjacent nonliving targets)

just some of the ideas i have had and used.

I am lovin' the Lightwhip ability!
adidamps2
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 5:31:34 AM

Static target +2: This character gets a +2 bonus to Attack against an enemy who has activated this round & has not moved.

Elusive Target: this character gains +2 def after it has moved until the start of the next round.

Intercept Transmission: range: 6; this character is subject to enemy character Commander Effects.

Lead the way: this character may be placed anywhere on your half of the map at the start of the skirmish.

Thermographic Vision: Characters with Stealth loose stealth against this character attacks.

Ultrasound vision: Characters with Cloaked/Stealth loose cloaked/stealth against this characters attacks.

Commander Effect:
Rally troops: replaces turn; on this characters turn on a roll of 11 or better all allies gain +2 speed, +2 att, +2 def. On a roll of 6 or less all allies gain -2 speed, -2 att, - 2 def.

Force powers:
Stasis Field: Force 2; range 6; all characters are at ½ move, -4 att -10 damge for the turn. Save: 11

Steal/mimic Force Power: Force 2; range 6; this character can use another force user power for the rest of the skirmish with a roll of 11+
adidamps2
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 5:39:02 AM

blainesmom wrote:

thanks!!!

And Jack-of-all-trades is a nice one too!!