RegisterDonateLogin

Life is short. Yoda is shorter.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Darth Bane (sneak peek from upcoming custom set) Options
saber1
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2009 4:12:44 PM
Groups: Member

Here's my take on Darth Bane during his armored days. Comments welcome. A new custom set, including Bane, will be posted soon. Until then, enjoy. :)

Darth Bane, Lord of the Sith
Cost: 80
Faction: Sith
Hit Points: 180
Defense: 19
Attack: 15
Damage: 20

Special Abilities
Unique, Melee, Double Attack
Cunning (+4 Attack and +10 Damage against an enemy who has not activated this round)
Djem So Style (Whenever this character is hit by a melee attack, make a save of 11. On a success, this character can make an immediate attack against that attacker.)
Orbalisk Armor (Whenever this character takes damage, reduce the damage dealt by 10 with a save of 6. Force powers whose name contains Lightning and attacks with Jolt deal +30 damage to this character)
Orbalisk Rage (If this character takes more than 10 damage in a turn, make a save of 11. On a failure, this character gains Savage, Deadly Attack and +10 Damage until the end of his next turn)
Rule of Two (Your squad may contain only 1 additional unique character with a Force Rating)

Force Powers
Force 2, Force Renewal 1, MotF 2
Force Repulse 3 (Force 3, replaces turn: 30 Damage to all characters within 3 squares; push back Huge or smaller characters to 4 squares from this character. Huge or smaller character are considered activated this round; save 11)
Lightsaber Assault (Force 1, replaces attacks: Make 2 melee attacks)
Sith Rage (Force 1: +10 Damage on all attacks this turn)
EvilYeti
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 7:47:06 AM

Very nice (MotF on RageThumbsUp )
JFisto
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 8:26:45 AM

I don't think he deals enough damage for his cost and I don't like orbalisk rage. I know you have a diff perpective on it, please don't be upset it is only cunsrtuctive critisism
saber1
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 10:49:49 AM

JFisto wrote:
I don't think he deals enough damage for his cost and I don't like orbalisk rage. I know you have a diff perpective on it, please don't be upset it is only cunsrtuctive critisism

While he may not be an offensive juggernaught, he does have Sith Rage and Cunning for a possible 80 damage per round. Perhaps more importantly, his armor (combined with 180 HP) ensure he'll last a long time. Moreover, any 10 damage hit won't trigger Orbalisk Rage. If he makes his armor save, OR won't trigger on a 20 damage hit. Only when he is hit with 30 or more damage will he need to make his OR save. Even then, he has MotF2 and FR for rerolls.

Although the current Bane has 20 more HP, 2 more DEF and can hit force users for 100 DAM per round, he has zero defensive capabilities. In contrast, my custom Bane hits a bit less for 80 DAM a turn but also has decent ranged potential with Repulse. Of course, his damage potential increases when Orbalisk Rage and Djem So are considered. For instance, if he is hit by a melee character (20 DAM) and fails his save for OR, then he gains +10 damage for the Djem So counterattack. Against melee, he peaks at 140 DAM per round. Factor in his armor and he lasts a lot longer. It'll take approximately 18 hits of 20 damage each to kill him (assuming he fails the save 25% of the time). It'll take many more hits when factoring in rerolls.
Thanks for the input!
carnorjax1
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 1:36:45 PM

Very nice job! After reading Rule of Two, this is what he should be, maybe a little lower cost, and I might add Pawn of The Darkside or something. It makes sense though, he gets fried in the book. And the Orbalisks are a problem for him in the book, He has to wear cages on his head and hands while he sleeps so they don't take him over, when he gets fried, they pop and cover him in acidic juice, hurting him and giving him rage. The only benefit they have is good armor.
saber1
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 2:55:47 PM

I'm considering adding Deadly Attack or Vicious Attack to Orbalisk Rage. It would read as follows:

Orbalisk Rage (Each time this character takes 20 Damage or more, make a save of 11. On a failure, this character gains Savage, Deadly Attack and +10 Damage until the end of its next turn.)

OR

Orbalisk Rage (Each time this character takes 20 Damage or more, make a save of 11. On a failure, this character gains Savage, Deadly Attack and Vicious Attack until the end of its next turn.)

Too powerful? Too wordy? Too complicated? Too freakin' awesome? Too bad WotC hasn't made this fig already?
jediinexhile
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:47:20 AM

I like the way this Bane adds up; however, because I am currently reading the Bane series I'll reserve my final judgment until I'm finished with them. From my standpoint of what I know of Bane as of yet this version is much better than the one from COTF. I like that fact that he costs a lot but has great resilience, it will take a while to hack him up so to speak, which if I may add is why he is so powerful. The rule of two couldn’t be more accurate for him, given his ideology for the rule of two I’m a bit surprised that something similar was not given to the original piece (although I’m not sure if his characters story was even written at that point, true, he did make an appearance in the dark horse comics a while back I think). As for Orbalisk Rage don’t give both Deadly and Vicious, instead chose one, otherwise his rage is too powerful- - thank goodness you didn’t give him Twin attack. Well done!! Can't wait to see the rest of the set!BigGrin ThumbsUp
Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:15:44 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

I think Triple and upping the defense 2-4 pts would make him fine. You have a VERY big restriction on him with Rule of Two.
saber1
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 12:19:27 PM

Sithborg wrote:
You have a VERY big restriction on him with Rule of Two.

While it is a restriction, his cost and faction already limit his build options.
saber1
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:16:12 PM

Changed Orbalisk Rage above.
darkjacen
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:51:01 PM

I like it. Now I'm hoping you'll also make Darth Zannah. And with the rule of two ability you added it would even be more thematic.
saber1
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:54:57 PM

darkjacen wrote:
I like it. Now I'm hoping you'll also make Darth Zannah. And with the rule of two ability you added it would even be more thematic.

Patience, patience. Wink
saber1
Posted: Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:31:26 PM

Reduced cost to 80. Increased DEF to 19 and ATK to 15. Also, Orbalisk Armor and Orbalisk Rage have been reworded.