RegisterDonateLogin

Doesn't need to see your identification.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Anymore Scenarios? Options
IG-108
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 2:37:13 PM
Groups: Member

So I've noticed that it's been an extremely long time since a scenario book/Ultimate Missions book (not the Star Wars roleplaying game) came out. And Wizards doesn't post any scenarios on the SWM part of their website anymore. The last one to come out there was when KotOR had recently been released.
So will there be another Ultimate Missions book or some form of it again? Will Wizards post more scenarios? Personally, I really like to play scenarios (I'm like the only one at my LGS that's willing to play them) and I'd like to see more. And there's no shortage of potential scenarios that can be set up (Clone Wars series, EU books, KotOR game, ect.). Anyone else interested in seeing some more?

P.S.: If anyone has any custom scenarios that they themselves have made up, I'd like to see them if you're willing to share.

P.S.S.: If anyone knows where to buy Ultimate Missions books, please let me know. Right now, I can only find one copy of the Clone Strike Ultimate Missions at my LGS and very few other online.

P.S.S.S.: If you don't like what's discussed in this topic (i.e. if you don't like scenarios), please don't post.

Z.: I wanted to see what came after P.S.S.S.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 2:51:19 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I wouldn't have mentioned it except that under 'Z.' it sounds like you might be curious... it should be 'P.P.S.' instead of 'P.S.S.' P.S. stands for post-script ("after the writing"), and after the P.S. would be post-post-script (P.P.S.).

As far as scenarios, I haven't played any but the ones that came with Attack on Endor sound cool. I'd also be interested in hearing others' ideas.
Darth O
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 2:54:45 PM

Here in NZ you can get an RS ultimate missions book for NZ$20
ChuckaFett
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 3:57:06 PM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

I haven't heard of any new official ones coming out. Have you seen the scenarios that came out with the new sets last year? I think there were 4 of them, not sure if there the same as what WOTC has posted online. As far as finding them, I got all my ultimate mission books on Ebay and my scenarios via trading.
On the topic of custom scenarios, a few fellows over on the WOTC site are making a few and posting them online. I haven't tried them myself, but they look pretty good. Follow this link here to the thread on WOTC.
The Madman
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 4:17:26 PM

most of the Scenarios in the UM books are really CRAP!
they were clearly NOT play tested nor were they thought out as to the random/Rariety
aspect of the game

if you want copies of the books youcvan get them for about $3-5.00 each without the maps

since the maps have been reissued at least twice and infact CORRECTED since their UM book release, even the books with maps are not worth half their cover price (imo)

I'd be happy to work out a trade with you to get all 3 books (sans the mapsFlapper ) if your that interested, send me a BM
lukey84
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:53:23 AM

i have all 3 books and there are some decent scenarios in them. some being key. a lot of them are really one sided or just impossible to win. i would like to see some fan made scenarios, i know ive been working on a few quick ones.
ecs05norway
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 7:07:40 AM

I have a scenario that I run at cons now and then.

It can run well with up to 4 players.

Each player chooses a standard 150-point squad. Add an astromech or other no-combat-utility droid (R5 is my standard, I have a bunch of them) to each squad.

'Seed' around the board, in randomish locations at least eight squares from any of the old corner start areas, about nine-twelve tokens per player, two or three per square selected. Computer terminal locations are good spots for them. The tokens represent data files that the players are attempting to retrieve from the computers.

Each character can, as a 'replaces attacks' action, pick up and carry one token. A character may carry an unlimited number of tokens at a time. A character with the Override or Door Gimmick special abilities, or an astromech droid, may pick up all the tokens from one starting location with the same action (this includes R2-D2, T3-M1, and any R4 or R7 droids the players may have in their squads, but not other, non-astromech droids). Characters may give any number of tokens in their posession to other characters with a 'replaces attacks' action on the part of either character.

If a character is defeated, any tokens it was carrying remain in one of the squares it was occupying when it was defeated, owning player's choice. (Exception: If a character is Disintegrated, all tokens it was carrying are destroyed.) A character subject to Betrayal transfers ownership of any tokens it is carrying along with itself when it changes sides.

Savage characters cannot pick up or give away data tokens, but can carry them.

Each data disk token returned to the board edge in the player's starting area scores 5 points. In addition to the normal conditions, the game ends when all data tokens have been removed from the board.

I find the Muunilinst map a good choice for this scenario, as is the Death Star, or any map with an abundance of computer terminals to give good places to start tokens on. Bothans + Rebel Commandos vs ImpSec and Stormtroopers makes for a nice RotJ-prequel setup.
lukey84
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 7:58:29 AM

im trying to make more of a campaign type deal. a rebel player and an imperial player with several missions that they do. in one the rebels have to destroy a communications array and the imps defend with pros/cons to each side.
DarthReeves
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:08:44 AM

I've come up with one where you have any Vader of your choice plus however many coruscant guards you can fit in a 200 pt squad(with uggies to fill in the gaps of course) vs

39 Luke Skywalker, Legacy of the Light Side
38 Obi-Wan Kenobi
27 Han Solo, Smuggler
24 Chewbacca
20 Princess Leia
10 Rebel Honor Guard
9 General Dodonna
8 R2-D2
25 Rebel Trooper x5
DarthReeves
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:14:48 AM

55 Darth Vader, Scourge of the Jedi
140 Coruscant Guard x10
3 Ugnaught Demolitionist

That's what the opposition looks like anyways
ChuckaFett
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:26:56 AM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

ecs05norway wrote:

Each player chooses a standard 150-point squad. Add an astromech or other no-combat-utility droid (R5 is my standard, I have a bunch of them) to each squad.

'Seed' around the board, in randomish locations at least eight squares from any of the old corner start areas, about nine-twelve tokens per player, two or three per square selected. Computer terminal locations are good spots for them. The tokens represent data files that the players are attempting to retrieve from the computers.

Each character can, as a 'replaces attacks' action, pick up and carry one token. A character may carry an unlimited number of tokens at a time. A character with the Override or Door Gimmick special abilities, or an astromech droid, may pick up all the tokens from one starting location with the same action (this includes R2-D2, T3-M1, and any R4 or R7 droids the players may have in their squads, but not other, non-astromech droids). Characters may give any number of tokens in their posession to other characters with a 'replaces attacks' action on the part of either character.

If a character is defeated, any tokens it was carrying remain in one of the squares it was occupying when it was defeated, owning player's choice. (Exception: If a character is Disintegrated, all tokens it was carrying are destroyed.) A character subject to Betrayal transfers ownership of any tokens it is carrying along with itself when it changes sides.

Each data disk token returned to the board edge in the player's starting area scores 5 points. In addition to the normal conditions, the game ends when all data tokens have been removed from the board.

I find the Muunilinst map a good choice for this scenario, as is the Death Star, or any map with an abundance of computer terminals to give good places to start tokens on. Bothans + Rebel Commandos vs ImpSec and Stormtroopers makes for a nice RotJ-prequel setup.

That sounds pretty cool! I might give it a try.
Squid89
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 8:52:21 AM

Stsparks72 and I have been doing battles that are like scenarios. The idea is to balance squads that are themed and match the specific map. Proxies can always be used, but the squads can play out to the last piece or two on each side. They are not scenarios in the sense of no objectives or anything. Play regular skirmish rules (gambit not needed or really built into the squad design) following setup and activations and no special map rules or anything. The page is here: www.smithohio.com/SWMbattles

I agree that the book ones were never really balanced or practical. There were a couple that were released as monthly prize support a while back that were better. They came out as a release event and had some interesting twists. I could try to dig up more info if you are interested.
ecs05norway
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:03:15 PM

ChuckaFett wrote:
ecs05norway wrote:

That sounds pretty cool! I might give it a try.

Let me know how it turns out, any suggested tweaks or the like.
I was asked to run a minis tournament for people who'd never played minis before, and came up with this on the spur of the moment. Star Wars is good for that. Easy to teach, I had plenty of figures to make a squad for everyone, no need to worry about paints or rulers, no arguments about the fiddly bits....
IG-108
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 1:46:21 PM

Wow, I'm really liking these custom scenarios you guys posted. Thanks for them, and I'll have to try them out sometime. I want to think of some custom scenarios for the Clone Wars series (since there are two Clone Wars based sets out now), but I don't if I could make it work.
The Ultimate missions books did seem one-sided in several of the missions, but they can always be tweaked and altered to be a little more fair. I'd still get them just to try a few of the Scenarios.
Uggie Demo
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:42:07 PM

Well this is not a scenario, but me and my friends have alot of fun with it:
We take all of are Unique Melee charcters(they have to have a Force Rating) and do 1-on-1 matches with them(No GMLS) You'd be pretty surprised what can happen. We usually have a map out then each match we roll for room, it makes it more fair. We once had an Anakin Solo force push a charcter 2x his cost into a pit and win the match. We also had Jareal come back with 30 HP and kept Electro staffing her enemie so she wouldn't get attacked and kept doing 30 per turn. We don't use multipules of the same Unique(example: no 2 Luke Champion of the Force)
IG-108
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 2:54:15 PM

Uggie Demo wrote:
Well this is not a scenario, but me and my friends have alot of fun with it:
We take all of are Unique Melee charcters(they have to have a Force Rating) and do 1-on-1 matches with them(No GMLS) You'd be pretty surprised what can happen. We usually have a map out then each match we roll for room, it makes it more fair. We once had an Anakin Solo force push a charcter 2x his cost into a pit and win the match. We also had Jareal come back with 30 HP and kept Electro staffing her enemie so she wouldn't get attacked and kept doing 30 per turn. We don't use multipules of the same Unique(example: no 2 Luke Champion of the Force)

I've done matches sort of like that (either with myself or my brother). Like you said, it's fun to see how things will turn out. I did an Episode III themed one-on-one match that was sort of fun. Strangely enough, it turned out similarly as it did in the movie.

First Match: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master and Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight vs Darth Tryanus
Victor: Obi-Wan and Anakin

Second Match: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master and Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight vs General Grievous, Supreme Commander and 2 Bodyguard Droids
Victor: Obi-Wan and Anakin (barely)

Third Match: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master vs General Grievous, Jedi Hunter
Victor: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master (this one was really determined by who one init.)

Fourth Match: General Windu vs Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith
Victor: General Windu (technically, he did win in the movie)

Final Match: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master vs Anakin Skywalker, Sith Apprentice
Victor: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Very close)

I didn't have a Yoda or Palpatine to do their fight, but I think Yoda would have won, maybe. I also like to try different variations on the uniques used in the fights.
Darth O
Posted: Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:52:56 PM

I had some match-ups too.

Emperor Roan Fel v Anakin Skywalker, Jedi
Ani won somehow. Got a 19, so it was a bit unfair. SO I had a rematch. Same result!

Shado Vao v AT-ST
Shado Vao won without taking any damage.

Darth Vader v Luke Skywalker, Hoth Pilot Unleashed
Luke barely won.

Mandalore the Indomitable v Emperor Roan Fel
Mandi won so easily it's not funny.

Mandalore the Indomitable v Supreme Chancellor Palpatine
Palpatine got Lando Calrissian, Dashing Scoundrel with reserves, then got Mandi on his side through Betrayal. Brilliant!

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Master v Anakin Skywalker, Jedi
Ani won both times I tried this.

Some unexpected results made this a heap of fun, sitting by myself in my room, playing with my little Star Wars figures!
dalsiandon
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2009 12:01:42 PM

don't hold your breath for any. WOTC has canned as much stuff to save on budgeting, and scenarios take time to create, and time costs money. There are some possibles to adjust the current scenarios available. Use rthe new figures instead of olderones in the same position. I've played the death star scenario from the Rebel Storm starter so many times with soem many different variations i cant count them, but it doesn't get old.
IG-108
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 9:48:35 AM

I'm not surprised that Wizards wouldn't make another Ultimate Missions book if the last ones were as one-sided as everyone says they were. If I did get them, I'd probably replace many of the figures with more current ones because I don't have many of the pieces from those sets, and it may balance the scenarios out more.
I'm still hoping for a Clone Wars Ultimate Missions book (even if chances are it will probably never happen). Chastize me if you want Clone Wars era haters, but there are scenarios from the show and CW EU that would be fun to play out in minis.
shatterpoint7
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2009 10:42:09 AM

here's a scenario i made recently from the darth bane book 2:
darth bane 82
w/ special ability- orbalisk armor (reduces damage by 20 with a save of 11)

sith assassin 21 x8

bane must make it from one end of the map to the other or defeat all assassins, assassins must defeat bane