RegisterDonateLogin

Is worth a lot to me.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Star Wars Miniverse podcast, Episode #8 Options
Chargers
Posted: Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:26:50 PM
Groups: Member

Star Wars Miniverse (or SWMv for short), a podcast devoted to the magic of the SWM skirmish game, continues with a brand new show.

In Episode 8, we review four more figures from Galaxy at War, discuss the seven lightsaber combat forms and how they are represented in the game, plus another Top 10 list.

visit our website for web-only goodies:
http://www.swminiverse.com
Downloadable mp3 are also available of each episode. Just check the link for each individual show.

Subscribe on iTunes (or other provider). You can also subscribe straight from the site above:
http://web.me.com/markandjill/SW_Minive ... se/rss.xml

You may also do a search on iTunes for Star Wars Miniverse.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Email:
swminiverse@gmail.com
skeeve3000
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:49:03 PM

Great show guys. I have one huge complaint though. The show was only 34 minutes long. I especially enjoyed the segment about the lightsaber combat styles.

Keep up the great work guys and we will keep listening.
BountyHunterH
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:52:44 PM

I have appreciated listening to you guys. I have one podcast question, one minis faction question, two show requests and one compliment.

Podcast Question - Are the opinions expressed by your children actually their opinions or is it completely scripted? I can understand the need (at least for the younger one) to have thoughts written down. I just wonder sometimes if he is expressing his thoughts or dad's. It won't change whether I listen or not.

Faction Question - I am wondering if there are any thoughts as to why the Mandalorians are considered dark side and are only sanctioned for specific timeframes. I understand that I can do anything I want in a friendly game, but it seems to me that Mandolorians are hired mercenaries (at times). Perhaps I am being tainted by currently reading the Legacy series (finally).

Show Request 1 - How about a show devoted to each faction? I would love to hear your thoughts on the factions. I prefer Imperials versus Rebels, but obviously Sith and Mandos would be fun to hear about as well.

Show Request 2 - I would like to understand Gambit Scoring. I know, one would think if I am on this site that I should understand it, but I don't.

Compliment - I absolutely LOVE hearing about the themes that you guys play at your "league" night. It has inspired lots of thinking on my part for how to enjoy games.

Thanks again for your hard work on these podcasts and I look forward to listening to many more next year. ThumbsUp
Chargers
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 4:38:59 AM

Hi, Bounty. And thanks for the kind words, feedback, and questions. We do appreciate getting notes like this.

BountyHunterH wrote:
Podcast Question - Are the opinions expressed by your children actually their opinions or is it completely scripted? I can understand the need (at least for the younger one) to have thoughts written down. I just wonder sometimes if he is expressing his thoughts or dad's. It won't change whether I listen or not.

Mark's BlooMilk account has a glitch that (hopefully Shinja can fix) doesn't allow him to post. So here's his reply:
. "Owen's thoughts are pretty much his own. I'll do some off camera prompting (ie. asking him to clarify something or explain it a little better), but I would say 95% of it is his own thoughts. I sometimes will help him come up with the best way of saying something, but that's about it. I want his thoughts to be his thoughts. I will tell him from time to time if his comment is inaccurate or needs more thought."

Brad's reviews are also his own. We usually have the card in front of him and he's thought some about what he's going to say. His first couple reviews he had notes to refer to since he was a little nervous (never having podcasted before), but he's stopped doing that. I also may ask him off-camera to clarify comments, but don't prompt him what his thoughts should be.

We want the kids' comments to be from their perspective and we try our best to keep it that way. We do not repackage dads' thoughts in kids voices. :>)

BountyHunterH wrote:
Faction Question - I am wondering if there are any thoughts as to why the Mandalorians are considered dark side and are only sanctioned for specific timeframes. I understand that I can do anything I want in a friendly game, but it seems to me that Mandolorians are hired mercenaries (at times). Perhaps I am being tainted by currently reading the Legacy series (finally).

In our league games, we've left Mandos as 'fringe' because of their mercenary nature, but counted Vong as dark side to even out the number of factions.
light = Old Republic, Republic, Rebel, New Republic
dark = Sith, Separatist, Imperial, Vong
fringe = Fringe, Mandalorian
But we've seen that some other scenarios list them as dark side as you mention. I assume that's because (per Wookiepedia):
"Mandalorians were frequently allied with the Sith, most notably Exar Kun and much later as a prototype for the Clone trooper under the power of Darth Sidious and the Galactic Republic..."

BountyHunterH wrote:
Show Request 1 - How about a show devoted to each faction? I would love to hear your thoughts on the factions. I prefer Imperials versus Rebels, but obviously Sith and Mandos would be fun to hear about as well.

Are you reading our minds? Do you have the SWMv studio bugged? Actually, the boys will be talking about their favorite figures in each faction. Your suggestion sounds like a good idea that we'll have to use in an upcoming show.

BountyHunterH wrote:
Show Request 2 - I would like to understand Gambit Scoring. I know, one would think if I am on this site that I should understand it, but I don't.

Gambit scoring comes from DCI Tournament Rules. At the end of a round (when all figures have activated and you're going to determine initiative), if you have a figure within 4 squares of the center of the board (counting diagonals as 2) you score 5 points (maximum of 5 per round). You add up your kill points for taking out opposing figures and gambit points; when you get to the team build points, you win. For example, we've built 150 point teams and you've killed 127 points of my figures and earned 25 gambit points = 152 points; you win!

Some venues follow DCI rules, some follow the SWM rulebook. The main differences are gambit scoring and # of activations after initiative is determined. Regional and convention tournaments use gambit scoring.

I think www.the-holocron.com has a full set of map pictures with gambit zones indicated.

BountyHunterH wrote:
Compliment - I absolutely LOVE hearing about the themes that you guys play at your "league" night. It has inspired lots of thinking on my part for how to enjoy games.

Good to hear. And please share with us and the audience any ideas you come up with.

Thanks again for the great note. And don't wait so long in between show posts again.ThumbsUp
Aaron-Wan-Kenobi
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:20:10 AM

I like the show. My only problem is when the kids review. It slows the show down completely and it is the part where I skip my ipod ahead. Maybe not the older kid but the younger one acts like he is reading a script. Overall, I like the show and I am not trying to dis the kids but it is my only criticism of the show.
BountyHunterH
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:23:52 AM

I don't mind nearly as much now that I know the opinions are truly his that dad just helps to polish.
Aaron-Wan-Kenobi
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:38:07 AM

U might be right. It is a family friendly podcast which is nice. I enjoy the minis mayham podcast more because it is more dudes that I would hang out with and seems to be more of guys talking about minis and having a conversation. Like I said, this is good too but I think it slows it down. Bang out more facts about the game and discuss the new things coming up.
My favorite part is when they discuss what is going on in the league they play in. I don't get to play in a weekly league but when I do put a tourny together, I use some of their ideas.