RegisterDonateLogin

So artistically done.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Starship Battles Options
TK-4334
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:06:27 PM
Groups: Member

I have a lot SSB,too but the game is bad. :( I like some minis, but its a dead game. I played it one or two times. It is never as good as the miniatures are.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:21:47 PM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

I enjoyed the game, although as most said it is very simplistic. I think its a great game to play with your kids and get them started with minis.
IG-108
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:53:00 PM

The Madman wrote:
the figs are made well and the rules do stand well alone; but as mentioned games will often end in a "tie"

Maybe that's why people I see who play it have so many "TIE" fighters!
Nyuck nyuck nyuck...
RogueThirteen
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 3:28:27 AM

I've got a lot of SSB stuff that I've used for other games with custom rules, and as far as spaceship miniatures go they're top of the line and look great.

It's only been recently that I actually sat down and played a game of SSB out, and it was a blast... but I can see how after about a half dozen games it would lose all of its luster. If you're looking for a complex strategy game, it has lots of flaws. Nonetheless, the game is salvageable with a few simple custom rules tweaks, and as other posters have noted there are some fantastic ideas on the Wizards board.

The biggest issue I have with the game (though some people think this is a strength of the game) is that all non-fighters can shoot any other non-fighter on the board, regardless of distance or other ships. This may well represent the difficulty of hiding behind other ships in a 3D grid, but it results in practically no incentive to bother moving non-fighter ships. When all my non-fighters can shoot and can be shot be all other non-fighters, does it really matter where they are? This lack of tactical maneuvering really hampers the game for me.

But there are several possible quick solutions:

Add a maximum range to ship's weapons (or add penalties of half damage beyond a certain range, etc)
Use cover like asteroids / space debris to require positioning to get clear shots
Require that ships target the nearest enemy of a given class size (eg: If I want to target a Type 2 ship, I have to target the nearest Type 2)
Allow ships of equal or larger Class Size as the target to block shots or provide cover

Also, the Class 1 ships (Executor and Viscount) are ridiculously over-costed at 150 points. There's no way either would ever be more beneficial than 3 Star Destroyers or 3 Mon Calamari cruisers. I'd estimate the Class 1's shouldn't cost more than 100-120 points.

Enjoy the game, have fun with it, and modify it as you see necessary!

The Madman
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 4:20:12 AM

IG-108 wrote:
The Madman wrote:
the figs are made well and the rules do stand well alone; but as mentioned games will often end in a "tie"

Maybe that's why people I see who play it have so many "TIE" fighters!
Nyuck nyuck nyuck...

nice Flapper
thodafett
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 4:33:18 PM

I think your friend was referring to "rare" tie fighters, in the sense they were hard to come by for whatevr reason. the most likely reason being people wanted so many of them.