RegisterDonateLogin

Flies casual.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Request: Very Simple Variant Options
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:39:13 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I like the Star Wars miniatures better than the Epic Duels miniatures. Given the choice, I'd play SW Minis over Epic Duels pretty much every time. The problem: I don't always get that choice. SW Minis are far more complicated. My wife likes Epic Duels but I haven't even tried to introduce her to SW Minis.

What is the simplest variant you know of that plays well?
Xeonaught
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:15:05 AM
Groups: Member

i would just introduce her to the attacks defense and terain type stuff. leave comander effects and specil abilitys and force powers out of the game for a while till she likes the game. my suggestion is have four big guys around 50 points each like a vader, boba etc and then build grunts around them. its baisic and simple but your wife will probly get it faster because there arnt many rules and it will be easy. the best way to get into the game is through the learning stages and then progress to the more advanced.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 8:17:49 AM

Xeonaught wrote:
i would just introduce her to the attacks defense and terain type stuff. leave comander effects and specil abilitys and force powers out of the game for a while till she likes the game. my suggestion is have four big guys around 50 points each like a vader, boba etc and then build grunts around them. its baisic and simple but your wife will probly get it faster because there arnt many rules and it will be easy. the best way to get into the game is through the learning stages and then progress to the more advanced.

thats exactly how i got my wife to play, but she still wont mess around with CEs.Bored
TK-4334
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:25:36 AM

I played against my Girlfriend with a Lancer Squad. She played a Snowspeeder Squad. She learned quick how to deal with Lancers. Later she got the interest to use other Minis to get better. Now she is a realy good player. I don´t think that it is the right way to leave rules, it makes the game more boring and it is hard to forget somthing what u have lewarned once. Just play and she will learn it step by step. ThumpUp
StevenO
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:37:36 AM

I don't have a clue what Epic Duels is but I'd venture that playing the Dynamic Duo format may be a good way to get her feat wet. Even if you don't go with the official format and thus can mess around with the points a bit more that would only mean two figures to learn and two to worry about and should give the feeling of an intimate battle.
Durge Dude
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 11:24:47 AM

StevenO wrote:
I don't have a clue what Epic Duels is but I'd venture that playing the Dynamic Duo format may be a good way to get her feat wet. Even if you don't go with the official format and thus can mess around with the points a bit more that would only mean two figures to learn and two to worry about and should give the feeling of an intimate battle.

I agree, not as many cards to study and fast paced because of there being only 2 pieces to move.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:49:22 PM

StevenO wrote:

Actually, Epic Duels is kind of like Dynamic Duo. Epic Duels is a boardgame from the early part of the decade:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3284/star-wars-epic-duels

In the game each side has 1-3 figures on a board similar to a SW Minis map but about 1/3 the size and very simple terrain rules (just pits and obstacles). Attacks are based on cards you have in your hand. Each team has their own deck to draw from, and there are about 12 different teams (Palpatine, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Vader, Han/Chewie, Jango/Zam Wessell, Boba/Greedo, Luke/Leia, Padme/Anakin, Darth Maul, Dooku, and I probably missed one or two.)

Is Dynamic Duo played on a regular maps?

Oh, and thanks for all the responses, guys.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:09:28 PM

oyu can play dynamic duo on any map, yes, but most people like playing DD on tiles.
ChuckaFett
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:18:09 PM
Groups: Member , Trade Moderator

I think Dynamic Duo would be great for your situation FlyingArrow. It's easy to set up, makes for a quick game and is a good introduction to the rules. I play DD all the time with my kids and find using the tiles the easiest way to do it.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 5:56:59 PM

If only I had some tiles. Anyone interested in trading some tiles for anything on my trade list?
Xeonaught
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:17:47 PM

could just use a section of a map
Mickey
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 1:09:23 AM

I always send people to the wizards site to take the demo. It's a nice visual that explains the basics.
gwek
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 1:24:44 AM

When I can convince my wife to play, we usually use small number of characters and usually only melee pieces. I get the fun of playing Jedi or Sith, and she doesn't have to worry about learning line of sight, cover, etc.
SquelchDog
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 1:50:31 AM

Another thing you could try is to keep the squads small when you start off playing a game with her. Say 50 pts or so. Maybe only use half a map or a few 2D tiles and teach her the basic's.When we first started playing we were learning the rules and getting used to the game we were always forgetting about special abilities and commander effects,lol. My whole family started playing epic duels (5-6 of us), but when SWminis came out we switched to that. Epic Duels (both copies) sit on the game shelf collecting dust.
SquelchDog
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 1:51:36 AM

FlyingArrow wrote:
If only I had some tiles. Anyone interested in trading some tiles for anything on my trade list?

I have quite a few extra tiles we could work something out. ThumbsUp
Weeks
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 4:05:02 AM

My gf loves the kotor games. So i built her a canderous ordo squad at 150 points and i played a republic team. An hour later canderous had landed 5 crits and totally wiped out my team singlehandedly. SHe has been hooked ever since.