RegisterDonateLogin

Only legal in the Outer Rim.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Arc Trooper Sniper Options
Darth Chaos
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 8:28:29 AM
Groups: Member

Ok, so here's the ARC Trooper Sniper.

I basically upgraded our Republic Commando - Sev, who functions as a Sniper.

The only really neat item is Head Shot, a special ability I created for this mini. The object of Head Shot is to balance out the overwhelming amount of Evade available in the game at the moment. It's also supposed to make Soresu rolls much more difficult. I have about 4 alternate definitions for it, so let me know if the one on the card causes any confusion.

And please let me know if it looks good or if it needs some tweaking.

You can find our custom cards here:

DARK SIDE's Custom Minis Thread

Some cards have been updated recently after play testing, so check it out.

DC
Sithfan
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 9:20:35 AM

Nice, I really like your Head Shot ability!

What do you think of giving him careful shot +4? I'm thinking that that is the only "sniper" type ability he's missing, and it would help him hit more targets for his 29 cost...
blainesmom
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 11:58:31 AM

i agree careful shot+4 would be a good add and it shouldnt raise the cost more than 1 since he can only do 1 shot. aslo i would change the wording of head shot to in crease all of the saves for damage by 5 to a maximum of 16 that way it gets crab armor 6 also
twinjedi
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 1:07:13 PM

again man, freakn' awesome, I LOVE ARC TROOPERSWoot

i think that wizos should make some of them, or at least some reprints. like maybe a:

arc captain
arc demolishtionist
arc heavy gunner

just to name a few.
Darth Chaos
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:32:26 AM

I adjusted Head Shot to be a little more clear. The first version made it sound like a board-wide effect, when I really only wanted it against attacks from the ARC. Let me know what you think.

Also, I just realized that Head Shot also affects Lightsaber Deflect, in addition to Soresu and Evade, which is pretty cool, but also makes it WAY more effective. So I'm inclined to leave the cost at 29. Thoughts?
Sithfan
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:18:04 AM

Darth Chaos wrote:
Also, I just realized that Head Shot also affects Lightsaber Deflect, in addition to Soresu and Evade, which is pretty cool, but also makes it WAY more effective. So I'm inclined to leave the cost at 29. Thoughts?

As you have it worded now, Deflect/Reflect/Defense still would work against your Head Shot; they are Force Powers, and not Special Abilities. Also, it wouldn't work against Dark Armor, Shields, Force Attuned Armor, or Vonduun Crab Armor (they reduce damage by 10). Come to think of it, would he have to make a save 16 to hit something with Molecular Shields or Energy Shields?

Why not go for something simple like:
Head Shot (This character's attacks cannot be prevented or redirected; the target can avoid this effect with a save of 16)

Still, I would really like to see the full smorgasborg of sniper abilities on this one so I still vote for Careful Shot to be added... Razz
Darth Chaos
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:20:53 AM

Sithfan wrote:
Darth Chaos wrote:

As you have it worded now, Deflect/Reflect/Defense still would work against your Head Shot; they are Force Powers, and not Special Abilities. Also, it wouldn't work against Dark Armor, Shields, Force Attuned Armor, or Vonduun Crab Armor (they reduce damage by 10). Come to think of it, would he have to make a save 16 to hit something with Molecular Shields or Energy Shields?

Why not go for something simple like:
Head Shot (This character's attacks cannot be prevented or redirected; the target can avoid this effect with a save of 16)

Still, I would really like to see the full smorgasborg of sniper abilities on this one so I still vote for Careful Shot to be added... Razz

You're right! Wow, note to self: do not revisit cards at 3am.

I'm interested in specifically counter-acting Evade and Soresu, so I focused on Avoid instead of Reduce in terms of damage. If I can include LS Deflect/Reflect, that'd be a bonus, but I'm not sure if that'd be in the best interest of balancing the game - Melee Force Users are in a tough spot already with all the Cunning Attack and Twin Attack going on.

I like the idea of Gungan shieldbearers and Bodyguard not working, too, but that might be a bit all-consuming. So when the damage is "prevented" or "redirected," as with Energy Shields, Molecular Shielding, etc., Head Shot wouldn't come into effect.

I'm not exactly sure what to do with Head Shot now. It modifies particular saves, but it could get fairly complicated. With Energy Shield and Molecular Shield, the attacker makes the save. Maybe something like this:

Head Shot (Special abilities where the target may avoid damage with a save of 11 instead require a save of 16 when attacked by this character)

What do you think?

I do like the idea of upping the save for Katarn Armor, although it's pretty tough stuff, according to the Karen Traviss novels. This is an upgraded form of regular Clone armor. At one point, a character dives on top of a grenade and basically walks away with little or no damage because of the armor. So...I'm a bit torn about messing with it. I would like to distinguish it from Dark Armor and Crab Armor, but I want to give these guys something that at least compares to those two armors. I dunno...

Sithfan
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:06:45 AM

I like what you've done with the Head Shot (from a rules perspective) but I think for a single attacking 29 point shooter (with only a 10 attack) it's attack should get by a few more special abilities, how about:

Head Shot (This character's attacks cannot be prevented or redirected by Special Abilities; the target can avoid this effect with a save of 11)

That way it can get by Shields, Evade, Soresu, Bodyguard, etc, but they would have to make 2 saves of 11 to avoid the damage, but doesn't affect Force Powers.

As for the Katarn Armor, since it is Mark I Katarn Armor, which was stronger than Type II Clone Armor and provided defense against EMP blasts and the Verpine Shattergun why not try this:

Katarn Armor 1 (When this character takes damage, it reduces the damage dealt by 10; adjacent characters with Melee Attack ignore this effect. This character cannot be activated by Special Abilities)

No Save, but all Melee Still gets through. Just some ideas I'm throwing out there...
Darth Chaos
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 8:28:11 AM

Sithfan wrote:
I like what you've done with the Head Shot (from a rules perspective) but I think for a single attacking 29 point shooter (with only a 10 attack) it's attack should get by a few more special abilities, how about:

Head Shot (This character's attacks cannot be prevented or redirected by Special Abilities; the target can avoid this effect with a save of 11)

That way it can get by Shields, Evade, Soresu, Bodyguard, etc, but they would have to make 2 saves of 11 to avoid the damage, but doesn't affect Force Powers.

But then you'd have a situation like this: ARC attacks Gungan Shieldbearer. Shieldbearer rolls to try to save against Head Shot. Makes it. Now the ARC has to roll for Energy Shield. Makes it. Now the ARC makes his ACTUAL attack. Misses. 20 minutes of rolls down the drain. :)

Sithfan wrote:
As for the Katarn Armor, since it is Mark I Katarn Armor, which was stronger than Type II Clone Armor and provided defense against EMP blasts and the Verpine Shattergun why not try this:

Katarn Armor 1 (When this character takes damage, it reduces the damage dealt by 10; adjacent characters with Melee Attack ignore this effect. This character cannot be activated by Special Abilities)

No Save, but all Melee Still gets through. Just some ideas I'm throwing out there...

I'd lean more towards a Save 16 for 10 damage with no other alternate effects. If I make that change, I'd be more able to put Careful Shot on him, but I'm not sure what to do with the other ARC Trooper.
Sithfan
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:33:24 AM

Well if it's to bring in Careful Shot, I'm in! :D
You're right about my definition for Head Shot, it's way too "rolly". But I think that Counts as Activated Immunity might be a good thing for the Republic.

How about just giving them a different ability instead of Katarn Armor:

Republic Commando (Counts as a character named "Republic Commando")

You could then reduce their cost by about 6 (23 for the sniper, 22 for the Trooper) and they could get shields 2 from the RCTS...

Or you could add Synergy (+4 Attack within 6 of an ally whose name contains "Republic Commando"), which could be useful with the Republic Commandos and the above ability.
Darth Chaos
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:13:36 PM

What about this:

Head Shot (Damage from this character's attacks cannot be avoided or prevented)

This eliminates all the problems with Energy Shields and Molecular Shields.

It also opens up Lightsaber Deflect and Lightsaber Reflect, as well as Evade and Soresu.

It still allows damage to be reduced, which is cool, because armor is armor, right?

And I think Bodyguard would still function as normal.

So now it's powerful enough that a character with a +10 attack and the right CE's suddently becomes REALLY dangerous. 29 points suddenly becomes more aggressive as a cost?

What do you think?

The only other option I have is to try keeping the restrictions in the wording. This is the best I've come up with:

Head Shot (When attacked by this character, Special Abilities where the target may avoid damage with a save of 11 require a save of 16 instead)

Or

Head Shot (When attacked by this character, if the target may avoid damage with a save 11, require a save 16 instead)

Or

Head Shot (If target enemy's special abilities allow it to avoid damage with a save of 11, require a save 16 instead)

I've got a headache...

Darth Chaos
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 4:54:49 PM

Here's a new version of the sniper, this time with a modified version of Head Shot, increased damage, and Careful Shot instead of Deadeye.

I'm thinking maybe 30 points is closer to true. Thoughts?
Weeks
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:50:55 PM

i like the head shot ability as it is in the pic above. Thats a lot of abilities. and if this guy has stealth you can give him evade via bith vigo then he has armour. Accurite AND Sniper. cant avoid his attacks so if he;s with flobi + rex he can move put 60 unpreventable damage on something with accurite and then move into stealth? kind of a lot for 29 points. Not to mention his armour gives him a 50/50 shot at taking less damage making it so when you do get to fire at him he can just shrug it off. not sure what to think of this piece. I do love your customs though :) keep em comin
Sithfan
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 2:26:50 AM

Your new definition of Head shot is perfect. I like the card as is. :D

@Weeks: I don't think that your combo should change his costing, I mean you're spending 99 points (FlObi, CRex) in just Commanders, and then you could fit 3 of these in for a 200 match... To me, that's not broken.

Darth Chaos
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 6:24:56 PM

Ok, this is getting close to the final version before serious play-testing.

We adjusted Katarn Armor so the save is a 16.

We're going to leave Head Shot as is for now. I like the idea of having a character who can shoot you no matter what. Now we just need to see whether the ability is TOO powerful or just very functional.

We upped his cost to 32. It's a bit pricey, but it could be well worth it.

Let me know what you think!

DC
Darth Chaos
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:57:04 AM

Alright, we thought Headshot was too powerful, so we changed it. We also removed Katarn Armor, which we thought added too much defensive value for a character at this level, especially a non-unique. I added Deadeye and lowered his damage to 20; this should make him less useful on a Rex squad.

Sithfan
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 3:01:37 AM

I like the change to head shot, and deadeye is definitely better than a base 30 damage for a sniper...