RegisterDonateLogin

If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the web site that it's farthest from.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Sith Uniques...Experiences? Options
Joasht
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:57:06 AM
Groups: Member

I'm an avid fan of the Sith, particularly their uniques and plan to get several more to add to my current rather tiny collection of Sith figures. However, most of them are extremely expensive (and not necessarily because of their playability) and its unlikely that I can afford all of them.

I'm wondering, which Sith Uniques have you guys enjoyed playing? Advice on which character to purchase, experience with playing a piece, and really, any discussion on them would be great.

Thanks!

P.S. I already own Ulic and both Malak's

The Madman
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:19:48 AM

Bane
SIdious Hologram
Sith Marauder
Sith Lord
obsidian7788
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:22:55 AM

darth sidious hologram. Nihlus is nice if you use him right. Talon is also a good piece.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 6:56:41 AM

I'd suggest grabbing

Exar Kun
Naga Sadow
Darth Sidious, Hologram
Darth Sidious, Sith Master

Exar Kun because he can use Transfer Essence to easily get where he needs to go fast and he also really boosts up Savage characters (Be sure you have a way to keep them restrained 'til you need them though). He also has the highest attack and defense and 4th highest HP (not counting the AT-AT) in the game, which is also nice. His lack of defensive abilities hurts a bit, but he can transfer out if he has bad odds (just don't abuse Transfer Essence too much or use it without thought as it does kill your units!). One other bit of advice with him is to avoid keeping him in back just to collect FP and transfer in when needed, but instead advance him up with the rest of the squad. That way, you're not relying completely on the Force Power and if something goes horribly wrong, he's not stuck way in the back.

Naga Sadow is a good beatstick as his Virulent Poison helps him quickly tear through living opponents. His force powers are good as well, as he can defend against attacks with Illusion (A big plus, as defensive abilities are a rarity in the Sith faction), and activate a large chunk of the enemy with Sith Sorcery (And he can even do it twice with MotF). His biggest downside though is that once into the action, he'll burn through his force pretty quickly.

Darth Sidious, Hologram is a great support unit. He give Force Renewal, and more force points never hurt anybody. He's a bit fragile though.

Darth Sidious, Sith Master's strong points are his Commander Effect and Pawn of the Dark Side. Pawn of the Dark side is nice in the Sith Faction as it has quite a few of the stronger non-uniques in it and giving a Sith Lord or a Sith Heavy Assault Droid another turn is always fun. He's also a swapping commander which will help get your big units where they need to be faster. One big plus for Sidious is that he has an advantage over all other swappers: With other swappers, you have to move the swap fodder, swap, and then attack with the swapped unit; a process that takes 3 activations or 1 and a half phases. That allows your opponent to attack your big unit first or run away. With Sidious, you can pawn the fodder, use the free turn to get them into position, swap, then attack with your big beatstick. This only takes two activations and thus can be done in a single phase, allowing you to act before you opponent can react. The only downside is that your fodder has to have at least 20 HP remaining, but I'd say it's a good trade-off.
Dr. Destructo
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:13:30 AM

I use and own many of the Sith lords and HoloSid is definitely the one I use the most and it's also one of the cheapest. If you want to go for a fighter beat-stick sort though I recommend Darth Talon. She is expensive, but very fun to use with the right help.

Back to Holosid for a moment too- He works great with Ulic and Mandos, giving them all Renewal and since you already own them, I think you should definitely get one.
Squid89
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:46:36 AM

Agreed Holosid is well worth the points. It's especially fun with non-Force followers who get that re-roll or two extra squares your opponent might forget they had.

Darth Talon is fun to use. The Force Bubble can be very annoying although she is rather costly and it takes some work to use her most effectively.

Lumiya is a nice piece as well. The Melee Reach 3 combined with Stealth/Evade and Regen help her survive a bit longer than it first appears. Then move in for Self-destruct 40 when she is about to be defeated anyway. Or dare your opponent to take the attacks of opportunity as you run her around with onyl 10 HP :)
DarthReeves
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:54:29 AM

Somehow I ended up pulling: Revan, Bane, Nihilus, and Scion. And I really don't open many packs. Maybe a total of 25 packs or less have I ever opened. Here's my thoughts:

Revan is fun to use, but it takes great skill to hone him correctly (Low activations, but if you put a sith heavy assault droid with Revan, you pretty much can't lose)

Nihilus is the most underated of the Sith. If you have another piece (like Sidious or Talon) up front, then he just glides around and sucks your life dry. So good.

Bane is fun to use, but he has absolutely no defense. Against force users he's incredible though.

If you have the Malaks then you are ahead of the game. The 20-27 pt saber wielding sith pieces are great to use with Sidious hologram OR Sidious sith Master

We cool? We cool.

(Revan 88 + 2 Sith heavy assault droids +2 mice + 2 Uggies) Try it, you'll like it
JFisto
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:26:01 AM

Darth Bane
Darth Sidous Hologram
Darth Talon
Darth Krayt
Darth Cadeus
Exar Kun
Naga Sadow

These are the ones that I feel are actually playable
dalsiandon
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:10:25 AM

Plenty of them can be usable, but they are tricky, I've had success with Bane, Holo SId, and of Course Malak LOTS, but even of those only Malak LOTS is a real plug and play, the others require some support, or the right format
Cordova
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:21:10 AM

Talon is evil. Once she has good reserves of force it takes ages to take her out.

Kun is a beast. His def keeps him safe from low end shooters, and some more expensive ones, and his CE is nifty on Rakghouls. That and swapping is a laugh. (Alhtough I have only used him in 200 points+ so at lower levels I wouldn't know)

Bane is a tank against jedi, but crap vs range. And with Leia rerolls all over the shop he can struggle to punch you in the face.
Tirade
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:35:15 AM

Here are the unique Sith I find to be most playable (in no particular order):

Darth Malak, DLotS
Naga Sadow
Darth Sidious, Hologram
Darth Bane
Exar Kun

The trouble with the others people listed is game cost. Revan is overpriced by around 20. He'd be way better around 65-70. Likewise, Caedus is overpriced. For his hefty cost, he needs more survivability (either more HPs or more Defensive powers). Darth Talon looks decent on the surface, but she pales when compared to a similar figure like Sep Assassin Asajj. Talon's Force Bubble, Lightning and Renewal are not worth the extra 13 points (when compared to Asajj). If Force Bubble lasted for a full round, then I'd have no problem endorsing Talon.

As for Ulic, he's ok. I think if he had been released more recently, he would cost in the low 50s instead of 61. His Mando CE is fun, but not all that practical for most games. Lumiya doesn't have enough damage output for her cost. Self Destruct 40 is awesome, but that also means you just gave your opponent 53 points for that to happen. Probably not a good trade. Darth Krayt has some survivability with his Crab Armor, but that's about it for him. He could use more defensive abilities like Block, Deflect or Duelist. It also doesn't help that his CE looks pitiful nowadays. While the Jedi Exile, Flobi and Legacy Vader's CEs work for allies, Krayt's only affects followers. That's a big difference.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:33:48 AM

Dr. Destructo wrote:
I use and own many of the Sith lords and HoloSid is definitely the one I use the most and it's also one of the cheapest. If you want to go for a fighter beat-stick sort though I recommend Darth Talon. She is expensive, but very fun to use with the right help.

Back to Holosid for a moment too- He works great with Ulic and Mandos, giving them all Renewal and since you already own them, I think you should definitely get one.

the only sith piece other then Ulic i ever use with my mandos!
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:46:49 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Tirade wrote:
Darth Krayt has some survivability with his Crab Armor, but that's about it for him. He could use more defensive abilities like Block, Deflect or Duelist. It also doesn't help that his CE looks pitiful nowadays. While the Jedi Exile, Flobi and Legacy Vader's CEs work for allies, Krayt's only affects followers. That's a big difference.

Not really. Look at the commanders that are available to the Sith faction. About the only commander you would use with him is the Vigos. All other Sith would cost way to much. Maaybe Malak at 200. Still, I think followers is fine for the Sith. Considering the amount of damage he can absorb, he is fine defensively. Heck, add in a nice healing package (via the Rodian Trader), and he will out last a lot of figs with defensive abilities. Sadly, his support isn't quite there yet for him to be a top figure.
Tirade
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:56:34 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Tirade wrote:
Darth Krayt has some survivability with his Crab Armor, but that's about it for him. He could use more defensive abilities like Block, Deflect or Duelist. It also doesn't help that his CE looks pitiful nowadays. While the Jedi Exile, Flobi and Legacy Vader's CEs work for allies, Krayt's only affects followers. That's a big difference.

Not really. Look at the commanders that are available to the Sith faction. About the only commander you would use with him is the Vigos. All other Sith would cost way to much. Maaybe Malak at 200. Still, I think followers is fine for the Sith. Considering the amount of damage he can absorb, he is fine defensively. Heck, add in a nice healing package (via the Rodian Trader), and he will out last a lot of figs with defensive abilities. Sadly, his support isn't quite there yet for him to be a top figure.

I see you have a lot more faith in Krayt than I do. Krayt doesn't have enough bang for me (on the offensive side).

As for his CE, look at the Jedi Exile. She really helps out pieces like the TBSV (of course it helps that she is also 27 points cheaper). If Krayt's CE worked for allies, that would be a nice squad option for him and the Sith. Krayt needs cheaper followers with Greater Mobile attack to take advantage of his CE. Not sure if that will ever happen. The Echanis are fun with Krayt, but you can't fit that many into a squad with him. Plus their base attack is lower than the TBSV's base attack. If that's not enough, the TBSV has a built in attack/damage modifier via Opportunist.
Joasht
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:23:11 PM

Wow, thanks for the replies guys!

I was looking through the list of uniques yesterday; has anyone had any luck with Darth Sion + HoloSid? Or is that just far too gimmicky?
Uggie Demo
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:34:06 PM

Likes Plagius, Sith Lords, Holosid, Bane, Exar Kun.
Dislikes: Naga Sadow, Old Malak, Sith Enforcers, Darth Sion
Draconarius
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:11:01 PM

Joasht wrote:
Wow, thanks for the replies guys!

I was looking through the list of uniques yesterday; has anyone had any luck with Darth Sion + HoloSid? Or is that just far too gimmicky?

My cousin has run that with varied success. Sion lasts forever with a large store of Force points, but the problem is that he just can't keep up in the damage race. I remember one match that came down to my full health Exar versing a full health Sion with 10 FP (courtesy of HoloSid). Exar was killing Sion every second turn, while Sion was having trouble even hitting Exar. Match ended with Exar at 100 HP and Sion dead.

And, of course, if you run into a mini with Force Absorb or Defence, you pretty much lose automatically.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:31:30 PM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Draconarius wrote:
My cousin has run that with varied success. Sion lasts forever with a large store of Force points, but the problem is that he just can't keep up in the damage race. I remember one match that came down to my full health Exar versing a full health Sion with 10 FP (courtesy of HoloSid). Exar was killing Sion every second turn, while Sion was having trouble even hitting Exar. Match ended with Exar at 100 HP and Sion dead.

That's not too bad. There was a game I played with Sith Ani, Thrawn, and a Storm Commando that I was killing him every turn. Having 300+ HP does little good if you are not killing your points worth.

But of course, my favorite instance was when my opponent Riposted me, then my next attack critted, killing him and unable to Eternal Hatred.
darkjacen
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:29:10 PM

Darth Revan and Darth Caedus are pretty good. Plus Revan is also good with some OR builds. Caedus + Darth Sidious (from Jedi Academy) work pretty well as a combo.
baneofthesith
Posted: Friday, December 18, 2009 4:36:40 AM

get Bane for sure, he kills basiclly all pieces in 1 turn and if you use sorcery forget about it. just watch out for rex and cad bane and other super shooter squads(which is every squad now). HoloSid is super usefull, especially with troopers. Exar is pretty boss, 23 def. and 19 att. with triple is insane sometimes. plus transfer essence and that savage CE are great. But if you dont want to spend the points snatch up Talon or Caedus. Sith=fun.