RegisterDonateLogin

I thought that Bloo Milk would be the end of me.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Portcullis question Options
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:09:49 AM
Groups: Member

Many maps feature portcullises or doors consisting of bars. On the maps, they look something like this...

------o o o o o--------

Do these doors function any differently from other, solid doors? Since I can't seem to find anything on the topic, I'm guessing not, but I just wanted to verify, since this has come up a time or two while playing with friends.

LoboStele
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:48:22 AM

There's a difference between doors and windows on maps. Other than that, I'm not really sure I understand what you're getting it.

You could try taking a picture/screenshot, and putting it in the thread here, to show exactly what you're talking about.

Or, reference a specific location on a specific map if you can.

For the most part though, all doors are exactly the same, and have the small blue boxes across the opening. If they don't have the small blue boxes (terrain markings) then they are not a door.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:50:23 AM

Go by the terrain lines, not the map art. If it has the blue outline dashes across the square border, it is a wall, if not, it's not.
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:57:19 AM

Some doors have an actual picture of a door (long and thin, grey/white rectangle) underlying the blue dashes. Other doors have nothing pictured under the blue dashes to differentiate them from the surrounding terrain. Still other doors have a series of boxes painted under the blue dashes. This gives the effect of a door made out of bars--much like a portcullis or jail cell (unfortunately, I don't have my maps handy right now, so I can't point you to an example). My friends and I have assumed that the artwork has no bearing on the function of the door, but that's what I wanted to verify here. And I'm guessing from the "blank looks" I'm getting (and EmperorDragon's response), that the artwork, indeed, has no bearing on the function of the door (in other words, there's no such thing as a holding cell door or portcullis that provides cover and still allows commander effects and gunfire through while barring movement).

The mention of windows intrigues me though. I've not heard of windows in maps. Please tell me more.

And thanks for the replies!!
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:03:35 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Windows are outlined with grey and are used only in scenarios. (of course, this shouldn't stop one from coming up with a house rule regarding them...in casual play of course)

Check for the Ultimate Missions books...probably only on Ebay now.
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:09:26 AM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
Windows are outlined with grey and are used only in scenarios. (of course, this shouldn't stop one from coming up with a house rule regarding them...in casual play of course)

Check for the Ultimate Missions books...probably only on Ebay now.

scenario play is fun, especially if you want to incorporate windows.
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:14:59 AM

Amazon has a couple: (RS being cheap...CS being a bit higher...ROTS is highest (for used))
Amazon link to Ultimate Missions books
Rabid Wookiee
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:26:09 AM

Would you recommend one mission book over the others?
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:30:15 AM

I like the map from RS the best...but it's not huge friendly. I forget which maps come with each book, but you can check them out over on The Holocron Map Guide

I actually have never played any of the scenarios in either book. I read them and thought they could be so much better. (still have yet to come up with my own rules for them)
Mandalore Da Beast
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:23:27 PM

imyurhukaberry wrote:
I like the map from RS the best...but it's not huge friendly. I forget which maps come with each book, but you can check them out over on The Holocron Map Guide

I actually have never played any of the scenarios in either book. I read them and thought they could be so much better. (still have yet to come up with my own rules for them)

Up until 6 months ago, i was using windows like doors (only the openeing and closing part) for attacking and such.
the streets map is what got me thinking that i had to find out for sure.
Darth O
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 2:13:34 PM

Rabid Wookiee wrote:
Would you recommend one mission book over the others?

I've only played with RS and CS and I reckon they both have extremely unbalanced missions almost the whole way through. RS has more quick scenarios, with point levels such as 70-ish, while CS even has some 400 point matches! It depends on your taste really, but I prefer the Rebel Storm one, mainly because it has a lot more interesting rules and ideas.