RegisterDonateLogin

And you thought it smelled bad on the outside.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Diplomacy. The lost art. Options
kezzamachine
Posted: Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:28:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Yo. I imagine this has been discussed many times and in my laziness, I couldn't find anything about it in four minutes of searching so...

we played a game last night and the Caamasi owned. I want to ask a question on how it all worked - not to argue wi' my good friend Mortuus, but rather to understand it myself. So, the Caamasi stood out front, a bunch of folk behind him - adjacent and otheriwse - but everyone in cover in some form. Because I possessed no Accurate, I had to target Caamasi but couldn't... meaning that I could shoot no one. Right?
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, January 9, 2010 6:31:06 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

No. When the Diplomat SA is active, they do not count as the nearest enemy. This is in the full defination of the ability in the rulebook glossary. This would be true only if all the characters had Stealth or Superstealth.
Mickey
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:21:51 AM
Groups: Member

Only when a diplomat is basing you is it considered the legal target which would prevent you from targeting other pieces.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:28:14 AM

Mickey wrote:
Only when a diplomat is basing you is it considered the legal target which would prevent you from targeting other pieces.

Mickey and SB are correct, and that's because of how the targeting rules work. The diplomat ability makes a character with it, not a legal target when it is in effect. When you are based by anything, your only choices for legal targets are those that are adjacent to you. When you are not based, diplomat simply means you won't be able to target the diplomat, but it does not count as the "nearest" so it also will not prevent you from targeting something behind it either. Think for example of a character without stealth, standing behind a character with it more than 6 away from a non-accurate shooter. Does the stealther prevent targeting the one behind? No, he does not count as a legal target.

The closest similar situation is a character with stealth and a Superstealth CE that is within 6 of you and another character without it farther away. You cannot target the stealther because of the CE requiring you to get adjacent to attack. However, stealth is negated within 6, so the character does in fact count as the nearest enemy. Diplomat works sort of like that, except in this case, only when adjacent.
Shoto Parry
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:19:40 AM

OMG
maverick
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:18:48 AM

would the caamasi provide +4 def to all the characters behind him?
countrydude82487
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:17:55 AM

yes they count as cover for anyone who has to shoot through the space they are in.
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:29:32 AM

Okay, Mortuus. That requires quite a large rethink of the game we played... eh?!
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:32:31 AM

Well... since I'm here... "If an enemy without Diplomat is in line of sight and the only adjacent enemy has Diplomat, no legal target is available." The second part of the definition... what is that? Does that mean anyone adjacent to the Diplo(docus)mat is now untargetable? Or only if one person is adjacent?
maverick
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:37:10 AM

kezzamachine wrote:
Well... since I'm here... "If an enemy without Diplomat is in line of sight and the only adjacent enemy has Diplomat, no legal target is available." The second part of the definition... what is that? Does that mean anyone adjacent to the Diplo(docus)mat is now untargetable? Or only if one person is adjacent?

Glossary Text:

If an enemy without Diplomat is in line of sight of the acting character, that character cannot target or attack an enemy with Diplomat, even one that is adjacent. If an enemy without Diplomat is in line of sight and the only adjacent enemy has Diplomat, no legal target is available.

If your character has a diplomat adjacent to him, and can draw line of sight to a non-adjacent enemy that does not have the diplomat SA, your character has no legal targets to attack.

I think thats what you asked.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:28:31 PM

kezzamachine wrote:

No it means if the only adjacent enemy is a diplomat (and a non-diplomat enemy is in los) that character has no legal targets. If the character were adjacent to other non-diplomat characters, they can attack them as they normally could.
kezzamachine
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:00:56 PM

I GET IT! Thank you again, Billiv.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 7:37:42 PM

kezzamachine wrote:
I GET IT! Thank you again, Billiv.

Anytime man. Diplomat is a tricky one to be sure.
Lachesis
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2010 8:47:50 PM

Not that its a common ability, Watch out for sniper. Ive lost a good amount of scout troopers and genohardens thanks to that