RegisterDonateLogin

Oh, maxi big da Milkā€¦

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

200 Pt tournament at Jester's Playhouse Options
LeftiesWillRule
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 2:54:40 PM
Groups: Member

Last weekend I traveled to New Jersey to Jester's Playhouse to participate in a 200 pt constructed tournament. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive, but I thought it would be worth it because the prize was a complete set of Legacy of the Force, which I calculated to be worth almost $300. I agonized all week about what squad I should use, but finally decided on this:

Map: Power Regulation Chamber
General Grievous DAC
Darth Sidious
IG Lancer Droid
IG-86 Assassin Droid
Gha Nachkt
San Hill
Battle Droid Officer
R7 Astromech Droid
Battle Droid x5
Ugnaught Demolitionist
Mouse Droid x3

I expected to play against some good players, so I didn't want to try mid-round strafes by not using San Hill. Then I reasoned that if I ran into a squad that outactivated me, I would lose. For that reason I chose to only use one IG-86 Assassin droid and boost my activations with Mousies and BDs.

While we waited at the store for Tim (Nynja) and his friend to arrive (from higher up in NJ) the lot of us watched season 1 of the Clone Wars cartoon. When everybody was ready we had about 10-12 people. This was my first DCI constructed tournament and the largest group I had played in, so I was pretty excited for the event.

Round 1
Map: Throne Room (his choice)
Boba Fett, Mercenary
Kyle Katarn JB
Leia Skywalker, JK
General Wedge Antilles
Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
General Dodonna
Ugnaught Demolitionis
Mouse Droid x3

Figures, in the first game I run into one of the pieces that can ruin my game: Kyle Katarn JB. My opponent won map, so I chose to setup on the throne room side. I set up Grievous at the bottom by the door to the throne room, and the bulk of my squad by the elevators. I was surprised that my opponent did not use Intuition to at least get Gambit first round, even though he was aware he was able to. I moved forward to try to get inside the security station, while my opponent moved his squad through the hallway. I got two strafes off, killing his Ugnaught (his only door control piece), a mouse, and Leia Skywalker, and did a little damage to Boba. I would have killed his TBSV, but the Lancer was within range of Kyle's disruptive and only got 1 attack, which was a 1. Then Kyle surprised me with a GMA triple on the Lancer by spending a force point to move 8 around the northwest corner of the security station and into the station. At that point, he had about a 6 point lead and we were told that we were at time (already?!) and we had to finish the round. GGDAC and a barrage from my Battle Droids finished off Boba Merc to put me in the lead.
1-0

Round 2
Map: Power Regulation Chamber (my choice)
Grand Master Luke Skywalker
Lobot
Kyp Durron
General Dodonna
Ugnaught Demolitionist x7

Reinforcements:
Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
Once again, I run into a squad that could cause me some trouble, but I wasn't too afraid. My opponent chose to set up on the power regulation chamber side, so I took the conference room side. I put the majority of my squad in the conference room, with the lancer and Nachkt behind the escape pod room. At the end of the first round, I risked my lancer to kill Lobot, Dodonna, and my opponent's fodder. Even if the Lancer was killed, he couldn't do much more and the total activation loss for my opponent as well as Kyp becoming Savage put me at a big advantage. Besides, I was gaining more points than my opponent would. I lost initiative next round, so Luke moved 12 and destroyed the lancer. I seized the opportunity to his Luke with full force with the rest of my droids. My opponent used his remaining fodder as meatshields, bu I still managed to bring Luke down to 60 HP. Luke then hid in the Power Regulation chamber to net gambit, while Kyp went after Gha Nachkt, who was hiding in the escape pod room. I pawned my IG-86 to make 4 attacks on Kyp for the kill. I then moved one of my battle droids into the turbolift to hold gambit. We were now at a standstill, both of us getting gambit, but I had a 4 pt lead. I advanced my droids, making sure to keep them spread out. Once they had sight of Luke, he had no choice but to go down fighting.
2-0

Map: Muunlinst Commerce Plaza (his choice)
Boba Fett, Bounty Hunter
Dash Rendar, Renegade Smuggler
Bothan Noble x3
General Rieekan
Princess Leia of Cloud City
General Dodonna
R7 Astromech
Caamasi Noble
Mouse Droid x2
Ugnaught Demolitionist
I brought a list of legal maps to the tournament, and a couple of people were disappointed that the maps they were planning on using weren't legal, including my opponent for the third round. He won map choice and was going to use the Coruscant Streets map, but he found out that it wasn't legal before we started our game, so he pulled out his Muunlinst Commerce Plaza map, which he wasn't familiar with. Fortunately, I was very familiar with it, and positioned my pieces perfectly. I set up on the side with the open room, while he set up in the closed command room on the other side. I he moved Boba BH and Dash behind pillars, relying on Evade. I hit Dash with my assassin droid and he failed both Evade saves. Next round my opponent moved Boba and Dash into the restaurant and clustered Dash, two Bothan Nobles, and two Mouse droids together. I outactivated him and strafed wth my Lancer, killing
Dash, the Bothans, and one of the mouse droids before moving outside the end of the restaurant on my side. At the beginning of the next round, I calculated that the lancer was safe from Boba, and spun San Hill. He moved Boba 7 squares, within CE range of his Mouse Droid. He then activated his Bothan noble on the other side of the map, using the cannon CE on Boba. He claimed that Boba could see my lancer droid, but his only line of site touched the edge of the wall. I insisted that he has to be able to draw a line without touching a wall to be able to see my piece at all. He called me insolent, said he really wanted to punch me but didn't feel like going to jail, then quit the game, gathered up his stuff and went outside for a smoke. Not the most enjoyable way to end the game, but I didn't see how he could have won anyways. I told the organizer that my opponent forfeited, and I got the win.
4-0

Round 4
I finished the preliminaries, and made the Final 4. My first opponent in the finals was the same opponent who had run GMLS. Once again I won map choice, he set up on the Power Regulation Chamber side again and took the TBSV as his reinforcements. I played more conseratively this time, biding my time to take out his pieces. First round I moved my lancer into the turbolift and kept Gha with the rest of my droids. I then used it to killl Kyp quickly and then slowly mop up his fodder. My opponent realized he would have to make a drastic move and ran Luke 24 squares down to the side door to the Conference room. I used two Mouse Droids and an uggie to make a wall extending to the pit by the conference room. That, coupled with the difficult terrain, ensured he would not be able to reach my commanders without consuming all his FPs, which he needed to survive. He turned around to try to go for my IG-86 assassin droid. The assassin had already been pawned once, and a twin from Luke brought him down to 10 HP. After my BDs hit at luke, he had 60 HP left. He didn't block those attacks because he had to save the FP to block the IG's deadly attacks. The IG assassin shot at point-blank range for 2 hits, but Luke made both his saves. Sidious then pawned the Assassin droid, getting two shots. Luke had no FP left, so was defeated. at the end of his turn, the IG droid was defeated.
4-0

Map: Power Regulation Chamber (his choice)
Boba Fett, MC
Mandalorian Quartermaster
Mandalorian Captain
Mandalorian Scout x3
Death Watch Raider
R7 Astromech
Mouse Droid x4
Ugnaught Demolitionist x3
Some of the other players at the game store informed me that my final opponent (the guy who came with Tim; sorry, forgot his name) is one of the top ten players in the world, so I was fairly nervous. He did comment to one of his friends that the lancer is going to rip up his mandalorians, but I knew I had to be very careful or he could still win. We both had the Power regulation chamber as our map of choice, but we still rolled to see who would set up first. I "lost", so I chose to set up on the conference room side, since it seemed to be working quite well for me. He put Boba in the side hall above the Power Regulation chamber, and the rest of his squad in the back of the PRC. I moved the lancer to the turbolift, since his mandos couldn't get a shot at it in one round. (no movement breakers for that faction....yet) He overrode the front door to the conference table open, then Boba mobiled out to fire Missiles 30 into my droids that were on the conference table. A mouse droid and 3 BDs made their saves, while the targetted mouse droid and my assassin droid failed their saves. On my turn I overrode the door shut, and the rest of the round passed without incident. Next round, I outactivated him, killed a scout, and injured Boba with my Lancer, and shot at his R7, but only got 30 damage on it. Next init, he pulled the R7 back where I couldn't shoot at it. I kept my droids hidden, since his mobile/cloaked mandos could shoot at them with impunity. Their best role was to threaten any pieces that tried to hit my lancer. I picked off his mandos one or two at a time with my Lancer. He had only his quartermaster, R7 and a mouse left when he conceded defeat.
5-0

I actually did it! I won a fairly large-sized tournament and got a complete Legacy set as a prize! I had a great time playing at Jester's Playhouse, and may return in the summer to try to qualify for GenCon. My only regret is that I didn't get to finish the third game, but I still had a great time.
billiv15
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:26:32 PM

Great job Lefties, and good report! Must be all that listening to the SHNN :)
trick624
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 3:39:35 PM

thanks, I enjoyed reading
Roque Saber
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 9:33:25 AM

Great report, and congratulations on winning!
creme_brule
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 12:14:10 PM

wow! 1st time in my ENTIRE online life that ive read EVERY SINGLE WORD OF THE REPORT!!!!! it was awesome man nice work ;)