RegisterDonateLogin

Bloo or Bloo Milk, there is no try.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

*ahem* Star Trek *ahem* Online? Options
seibermaki
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 9:38:26 AM
Groups: Member

Has anyone played this? Just wondering if it's worth it... I usually "try before I buy", but there's no 2 week trial or anything(yet)...
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 10:45:47 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

TOR has won my interest. Just seems really difficult to play a non-Federation race from what I've read.
seibermaki
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 4:32:38 PM

Yeah, I'm definitely waiting for TOR. However, Star Trek has been a bit tempting. Really wish they had a free trial already.
EmporerDragon
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 5:17:41 PM

They effectively had a free/low-cost trial with the open beta. Otherwise, people who got the collectors edition received several guest passes as part of the bonus content.

Personally, I really wanted to enjoy it, as I love Star Trek as much as I love Star Wars, but I just couldn't for three main reasons:

1) The game got very repetitive very fast. Missions didn't really stand out from one another making the game seem rather bland.

2) Lack of immersion. When playing a Star Trek game, I want it to feel like Star Trek. And while the game itself does that, the player base does not. It just kicks you out of the experience when your group consists of the U.S.S. Potsmoker, the U.S.S. Goku, and the U.S.S. xXsuPaGanGstaXx

3) The servers (or lack thereof). The game's servers are designed to interact together to create one big world that has been separated into multiple instances, thus allowing you to be able to get together with your friends and not have to worry about who's in what server. It sounds good in theory, but doesn't work well in practice. The sheer amount of players trying to connect routinely crashed the servers forcing Cryptic to do emergency maintenance that lasted between 30 minutes to 6 hours. And once the maintenance was done, everyone would flood back in, killing the servers once more.
kevin187
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 6:17:34 PM

Cryptic = fail boat. Nuff said.
seibermaki
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 7:47:04 PM

Good points EmporerDragon. Pretty much echoes some of the reviews I read.

Seems like the game would have been better as a single player game, or have some limited multiplayer...

btw, I liked City of Heroes/Villains... but quit playing in favor of Eve Online/Everquest 2.

I don't play any MMOs now though.
Mickey
Posted: Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:27:25 AM

One of my buddies was playing the beta and liked it. However, after that review from EmporerDragon that pretty much kills any idea I might have had for wanting to check it out. I totally agree with you that people's choice of names totally kills it for me as well. I was never much of a roleplayer in online games because I just couldn't get into the thee's and thou's but I do like to see people at least trying to get into the spirit of the game. Online jerks pretty much made me quit online gaming to this point.