RegisterDonateLogin

As Himself.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Mass Effect Miniatures? Options
eMouse
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:48:46 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I posted this yesterday to SWMGamers, in the Updates/Previews section. It got pulled for 'not being SWM related' I'll let you be the judge...

Quote:

Looks like WotC does have something new planned, now that SWM is over. Saw this while re-reading the newest Previews. Not sure how I missed it the first time...

Quote:

The excitement of Mass Effect gets strategic! Assemble your squad and fight for the Citadel along side with Ashley, Garrus, Kaidan, Liara, Tali'Zorah and Wrex. Or get indoctrinated by the Reapers to join forces with Saren or Benezia and field an army of Synthetic Geth! Re-enact classic confrontations from the first Mass Effect game, or create your own epic battles for the fate of all life in the galaxy. Starter set includes special Shepard figures, representing each class available in the original game. Be a Human Machinist to Decrypt doors or Hack other characters. Or become a Human Biotic and use Biotic Points to Throw enemies or Lift them into the air. Starter also includes double sided map, tokens, and 20-sided die. Boosters include six random figures with stat cards and one equipment card.
NOTE: Available only within the United States and U.S. Territories.
Starter Set… $11.99
Booster Pack… $14.99
Mako vs. Colossus Battle Pack… $28.99
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:57:31 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Bad day for news to come out.
FlyingArrow
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:58:29 AM

If they're the same size, it's possibly relevant. V-sets could possibly use these minis.
swinefeld
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:08:00 AM

Sithborg wrote:
Bad day for news to come out.

LOL
Mathias-Ordun
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:13:10 AM
Groups: Member

If this is real (and not an April Fool's joke) it could be interesting...though I'm not entirely sure how ME would work on a mini's scale...

though I still wasn't sure how Haloclix would work until after I played THAT either...I think Halo works better on a mini scale than ME would...
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:28:28 AM

eMouse wrote:
I posted this yesterday to SWMGamers, in the Updates/Previews section. It got pulled for 'not being SWM related' I'll let you be the judge...

FYI, it didn't get pulled/deleted. Just got moved to the 'General (non-SWM)' section. The 'Updates/Previews' section is usually just for SWM related stuff.
creme_brule
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 4:11:03 AM

looks pretty good! yea, i bet this will work mightily well for upcoming V sets...
Wysten
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:21:18 AM

Mathias-Ordun wrote:
If this is real (and not an April Fool's joke) it could be interesting...though I'm not entirely sure how ME would work on a mini's scale...

though I still wasn't sure how Haloclix would work until after I played THAT either...I think Halo works better on a mini scale than ME would...

Wait, they have a Halo version of this game?

Then again, Star Wars was orignally a roleplaying game anyways, the mini's thing seemed an afterthought that really caught on.

Then again, mass effect is not that dissilmer to star wars minis, they have a group of factions, some strong main charcters on both sides and paper fodder to fill the rest of the blanks.
Roque Saber
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:32:34 AM

Hmm... "mass effect miniatures" isn't finding any results like this on Google...
PhageLab
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 6:40:08 AM

Custom/V Set Fodder Go!
Mathias-Ordun
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 7:52:24 AM

Wysten wrote:
Mathias-Ordun wrote:

Wait, they have a Halo version of this game?

Then again, Star Wars was orignally a roleplaying game anyways, the mini's thing seemed an afterthought that really caught on.

Then again, mass effect is not that dissilmer to star wars minis, they have a group of factions, some strong main charcters on both sides and paper fodder to fill the rest of the blanks.

It died already, but was released at Gencon '08. A TON of fun IMHO, and my LGS still plays from time to time...kinda stinks with no new additions to the game, but it's a blast nonethe less.

Dunno if you can find the clix anymore, but I picked up a case at Gencon '09 for like...$30...they used to be priced like SWM...
Beast
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:29:40 AM

And how is Mass Effect more marketable then SWs?
SWMinis gets the axe, while a video game gets (and I'm hoping this is a hoax) its turn?
Don't get me wrong, I think ME is a great title, and the 2nd installment is superp, IMO, but there is absolutely no way Wizos will be successful with this line, if it is in fact true. Let Star Wrs Miniatures be the perfect example to this, as far as marketing and production goes.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 9:49:23 AM

Must be a timing thing. I mean, the timing of the announcement is key to this products sucess.
Saronian
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:44:18 AM

Let wizards have thier fun for now.

As far as I'm concern, the ME minis can sink Wizards and the thrice blasteded 4th Ed D&D to the bottom.

Hopefully, them kicking Star Wars out will be the death kneel I've been hoping Wizards will get for a long time.
Lobar Aybock
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:50:28 AM

Guys, I'm almost positve losing the license was out of WOTC's hands....I think Lucas monitored the profit margins of the game and then jacked up the licensing fee so WOTC couldn't afford to renew. Lucas will start up the game on its own, just as they will the RPG, to keep all the money in-house. It was done with their video games (LucasArts), and it was done most recently with animation (LucasAnimation).

ME is sort of a Star Wars knockoff. I'll be it'll even be compatible with SWM.
Mathias-Ordun
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 11:47:58 AM

Lobar Aybock wrote:
Guys, I'm almost positve losing the license was out of WOTC's hands....I think Lucas monitored the profit margins of the game and then jacked up the licensing fee so WOTC couldn't afford to renew. Lucas will start up the game on its own, just as they will the RPG, to keep all the money in-house. It was done with their video games (LucasArts), and it was done most recently with animation (LucasAnimation).

With Wizards typical lack of creativity lately (and the fact that every Wizards miniature I've seen is roughly in the same scale) I'll bet you could mix the two...only thing is EVERY character in ME is either biotic or ranged based...there's NO melee in the game to speak of...so that means we won't see any fun that way...

BUT! I'm sure Commander Shepherd will make a WONDERFUL starting point for lots of customs! I love the N7 armor type...I'm thinking of RPG stuff already! (And the N7 would be a great representation of powered battle armor, come to think of it!)
Beast
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 12:06:01 PM

Lobar Aybock wrote:

I cant exactly say that I agree with your statement, but I do see where you are coming from.
Lucas Arts is a good example, but even LA needs small production companies and developers to make a new game, TFU and Battle front are perfect examples. Battle Front 3 is dying to come out, but with no one is wanting to finish the game and put their name on it, LAs cant serve it to us.
Besides, Wizos owns the D20 system, so even if your example was the case, we would not have SWs minis back in its entirety.
From what I understand, profits for SWs minis has been on a slow decline for awhile, with the sets being cut to 40 instead of 60, Cases being bought for 110$ etc. I mean, you go and buy a case, and then all you need is four more VRs, and alot of people didn't want to try their luck with attempting to pull any of the 4 they needed, they just went and bought the singles instead. To me, that seriously hurt the market for minis, but something like that is unnavoidable.
If SWs minis make a comeback, it won't be through the D20 system, IMHO, it will be through a similar but very different rules set.
As far as this Mass Effect Garbage goes, if Wizos really thinks that this is going to help them in the long run, they will soon find out that they are the Harbingers of Mini Death.
Sithborg
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:17:43 PM

Can't hurt any more than the new Fett trilogy Traviss is writing.
Echo24
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:52:05 PM

Beast wrote:
Lobar Aybock wrote:

I cant exactly say that I agree with your statement, but I do see where you are coming from.
Lucas Arts is a good example, but even LA needs small production companies and developers to make a new game, TFU and Battle front are perfect examples. Battle Front 3 is dying to come out, but with no one is wanting to finish the game and put their name on it, LAs cant serve it to us.
Besides, Wizos owns the D20 system, so even if your example was the case, we would not have SWs minis back in its entirety.
From what I understand, profits for SWs minis has been on a slow decline for awhile, with the sets being cut to 40 instead of 60, Cases being bought for 110$ etc. I mean, you go and buy a case, and then all you need is four more VRs, and alot of people didn't want to try their luck with attempting to pull any of the 4 they needed, they just went and bought the singles instead. To me, that seriously hurt the market for minis, but something like that is unnavoidable.
If SWs minis make a comeback, it won't be through the D20 system, IMHO, it will be through a similar but very different rules set.
As far as this Mass Effect Garbage goes, if Wizos really thinks that this is going to help them in the long run, they will soon find out that they are the Harbingers of Mini Death.

SWM doesn't use the "d20 System". That system is FAR more specific, and is what D&D runs on. SWM just uses 20 sided die to determine results. That concept can't be owned; Wizards published the "d20 System" in 2000, actual d20s have been around for years.

Also, even if it did use the d20 System, Wizards published it under the Open Game License, meaning it can pretty much be used by anyone, even for commercial uses. There are RPGs using the system that are not made by Wizards. Yes, it's slightly more complicated than that, but not a lot.

SWM uses its own specific game system and mechanics, which is owned by WotC. But it isn't the d20 System. A game very similar to SWM, using d20s and all, could be made, but it wouldn't quite be identical. Although, of course, there is the chance that the game mechanics can be bought by Wizards. They aren't using them for anything else, and if they are in as bad financial shape as it seems (based on many things, including not buying the SW license again) they may very well be looking for a buyer.

Back on topic, I see this as something just like Halo Clix. A small cash-in for a currently popular brand. I doubt it will have any expansions past the base set. And if it's a particularly good game, and people will play it, I don't see a problem with it. WotC is a gaming company, they make games. This is just another game for them.
General_Grievous
Posted: Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:50:01 PM

April Fools joke???