RegisterDonateLogin

Not yet DCI legal.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

My Dejarik Dice rules. They work Options
dalsiandon
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:25:06 AM
Groups: Member

My dejarik dice rules. By Don Thomas/Dalsiandon

So I spent a considerable amount of time with the dejarik rules that are posted here; http://dhost.info/rissa/Holochess/index.htm written by Mike Kelly as a great jumping point for this nice side game we have gotten from WOTC. I recommend following these rules with the exception of the dice rolling. In which case I urge the use of the rules below.

These rules consist of a D6 system where players use a mass of D6 dice, that is probably because it was rescued from the old WEG SWRPG CRB.

So my wife and I spent the past couple of weeks working to find a dice system that is balanced, fair, and does not require 50 D6's, but only one dice set, (and most have one, if not it's 5 or 6 bucks at your FLGS for one.)

As a starting place we took the totals from page 6 (in my print out), under the subheading "An Example Game of Dejarik." We find the numbers 31 and 24. So we then asked ourselves how can we get all the monsters to be able to get between 24 and 31? From there we took the base stats and started patterning maximum dice rolls with base stats to allow them all to get to 31. Well, we found a pattern that allowed them all to be either 31 or 32. I figured that would be okay to a have a 1 off discrepancy because 1) it would only cause a push or counter-push instead of a defeat, and 2) double max is required by both players for such an outcome and while possible will still simply result in a push/counter-push, and it benefits the higher score, which I think is okay because that allows the "better" creature or the higher score a full time bonus in those rare situations.
The Dice you will need are (1 of each) a d20, a D4, a D6, a D8 and a D10. D stands for dice; the number represents how many sides and numbers the dice has on it. So a D6 is a dice with 6 sides/6 numbers.

Here is a breakdown for you on when to use the dice and how;

How to determine the teams?
1rst) Assign each creature a number between 1 and 8. Players then "draft" their creature by a series of dice rolls.
An example; Savrip #1, Monnok #2, Ghhk #3, Houjix #4, Klorslug #5, Molator #6, Strider #7, and the Ngok #8. (This is just an example you can number and renumber the creatures as you wish.)

2nd) Each player will then simultaneously roll their D8, the players will then find the creature that has the corresponding number to their dice roll. If there is a tie, simply reroll the dice. If a dice number is rolled and the creature has already been drafted, reroll and accept the new result. The other player must wait for the reroll to claim his drafted creature. If there is no tie or dispute about a roll simply draft your creature and make the next dice roll.

3rd) When only two creatures remain roll the dice as normal. However if only one player rolls a number for a creature that has not yet been drafted then that player selects that creature and the other player takes the remaining creature by default. (Example A) This is to prevent long drawn out sets of rolls for the final two characters. If neither player rolls the number of an undrafted creature then reroll. If this happens three times, on the third roll the player with the highest roll selects which creature to draft or can defer to the other player. (Example B) Again reroll all ties.
Here are some examples.
Example A.) The Molator is #4 and has not yet been drafted by roll. The other, a Ghhk, is #8 and also has not been drafted. Player A rolls a 5 and Player B rolls a 4. Player B drafts the Molater with the dice roll and Player A claims the Ghhk by default.
Example B.) The two remaining undrafted creatures are the Strider #7 and the Ngok, # 3. Player A rolls a 6, a 2 and a 4. Player B rolls a 5, a 1 and an 8. Player B then chooses to draft either the Ngok or the Strider to his squad. Player B can also defer the draft to Player A and let that player draft a creature instead.

Who goes first and creature set-up?
Simply have each player roll one D20 and the player with the highest number chooses who will go first. The player with the lowest roll sets up after who will go first is decided. This is regardless of who will go first.

How to attack and defend?
Base attack/Defense + a D20 + a secondary dice

If you base Attack/Defense is 7 or 8 you use a D4 as your secondary dice. Possible Max score 31 or 32
If you base Attack/Defense is 5 or 6 you use a D6 as your secondary dice. Possible Max score 31 or 32
If you base Attack/Defense is 3 or 4 you use a D8 as your secondary dice. Possible Max score 31 or 32
If you base Attack/Defense is 2 you use a D10 as your secondary dice. Possible Max score 31 or 32

Any time an attack is made each player rolls according to their roll in the action. The attacking character rolls based on his base attack score, the defender rolls in the same manner. That is why the chart above is marked Attack/Defense. Then use the results and determine the outcome. Use the box/chart on page 6 labeled "If" and "Then" to help you determine the result.

Here is an example; The higher stats like the Klorslug has a +7 attack and would roll the D20 and the D4 and add its base to the result. However if the Klorslug is defending it would roll the D20 with a D8 and then add it's base defense score to determine its defensive outcome against the opposing players creatures base stat and dice roll. The Houjix with it is +4's would always roll a D20 and a D8 and then add it is +4 to the result whether it be attacking or defending.

This way everyone has a chance at rolling for a 31 or 32. We have played a dozen games using this set and it is the best so far, it has allowed the most diverse outcomes, only two have been blow outs, and that all came down to dice. We tried a couple other methods and neither worked so well and it was obvious to us that it wasn't fair/balanced and we saw it very fast that way. This has yet to leave us disappointed beyond a failed dice roll. But every roll we went into with a chance to win even in a low base score versus high base score situation.

oh if you need a board squid89 has posted this link; http://www.smithohio.com/dejarik/

TheStarkiller
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 12:05:50 PM

First of all, Great Job! I like it.

I am definitely going to see how it works, and I hope you keep having fun with it.

One critique. You are doing 2 additions (adding the d20 as well as one of the following d4/d6/d8/d10). Did you try just working with the d20? Using the statistics from the monsters as essentially their attack bonus and defense bonus?
That would make it a lot more based on random rolls, which i think would penalize the unlucky.
I really like your variable dice rule.

Have you tried to re-work your rules so that, if you tie, you bump, but otherwise you are defeated. Instead of using d20's and a bunch of (5 over/5 under) extra math, you could just start with the bonus as you stated

7/8 - d4
5/6 - d6
3/4 - d8
1/2 - d10

just add the two numbers

example: Mantellian Savrip attacks the Ghhk

Mantellian Savrip has 6 attack (d6)
Ghhk has 3 defense (d8)

Mantellian savrip rolls d6+6
Ghhk rolls d8+3

if they tie, they are bumped
if they don't tie, loser is defeated.

so, if the mantellian rolled a 3 and the Ghhk rolled a 4, the Ghhk is defeated
if the Mantellian rolled a 1 and the Ghhk rolled a 4, then bumped

(it seems this is very much the feel of what you have done, with much less randomization, more strategy, and less math)
Mathias-Ordun
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 12:12:52 PM

as much as I like a "balanced" game, Dejarik is less about "balance" and more about strategy.

For instance, a Strider (attack rating 2) attacking a Ng'ok (defense rating 8) should have almost NO chance of winning. You would NEVER attack with a Strider because it would be counter-killed almost every time, and that is the point of the defensive, offensive, and balanced characters.

As much as I hate to say it, Dejarik needs played with D6 dice, it's the only way to truly represent how it's supposed to be played and not turned into a "mass melee".
TheStarkiller
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 1:47:23 AM

I have put my money where my mouth is, and have tried to create a much simpler version of dejarik adapting Don's rules as well as the rules from the website that he linked to. I made half of the strategy in the setup of the game, and changed as little as possible (and mostly just for simplicity). I had to add a victory condition because I logically saw a stalemate situation that I didn't want given how short I was trying to keep it.

Here it is in it's entirety (You also have to use squid89's board http://www.smithohio.com/dejarik/

Players: 2
Approximate Time: 10-15 minutes

Statistics:
Savrip has the ratings of Attack 6, Defense 6, Movement 2
Monnok has the ratings of Attack 6, Defense 5, Movement 3
Ghhhk has the ratings of Attack 4, Defense 3, Movement 2
Houjix has the ratings of Attack 4, Defense 4, Movement 1
Strider has the ratings of Attack 2, Defense 7, Movement 3
Ng’ok has the ratings of Attack 3, Defense 8, Movement 1
K’lor’slug has the ratings of Attack 7, Defense 3, Movement 2
Molator has the ratings of Attack 8, Defense 1, Movement 2

Rules of the Game:

Setup: each player rolls a d10, winner chooses who is player 1 and player 2

Player 1 chooses a Dejarik Monster, and places it in a blue lighted space
Player 2 chooses a Dejarik Monster, and places it in a red lighted space
Player 2 chooses another Dejarik Monster, and places it in a red lighted space
Player 2 chooses a Dejarik Monster, and places it in a red lighted space
Player 2 chooses a Dejarik Monster, and places it adjacent (outer ring) to a red lighted space
Player 1 chooses a Dejarik Monster, and places it adjacent (outer ring) to a blue lighted space

After setup, Player 1 takes his first turn,
then Player 2 takes a turn,
etcetera...

Turn of the game:
Each turn, a player chooses one of his or her dejarik monsters.
That monster gets 2 action points to spend on any combination of the following:
1 action point: Move the monster [The monster can use an action to move]
The monster must move to an adjacent space (diagonals are not adjacent)
for each of his movement points (the Savrip must move through 2 adjacent
spaces). This movement cannot pass through or into any occupied spaces.
1 action point: Attack with the monster [The monster can use an action to attack]
The monster may attack a creature in an adjacent space (diagonals are not
adjacent).

Attacking an Adjacent Creature:
When attacking, you compare the values of the attacking monster's Attack value and the defending monster's Defense value.

You add the result of 1 die to your Attack and Defense scores for the attack.
If the attacking monster's Attack value is:
1 or 2: Add 1d10
3 or 4: Add 1d8
5 or 6: Add 1d6
7 or 8: Add 1d4
If the defending monster's Defense value is:
1 or 2: Add 1d10
3 or 4: Add 1d8
5 or 6: Add 1d6
7 or 8: Add 1d4

If the attacker's final Attack score is greater than the defender's Defense score, the Defender is defeated.
If the attacker's final Attack score is equal to the defender's Defense score, the Defender is pushed to any space adjacent to the defender's space. (If none are available, nothing happens)
If the attacker's final Attack score is less than the defender's Defense score, the Attacker is defeated.

Winning the Game:
1: You win the game if all of your opponent's monsters are defeated.
2: You win the game if you have a monster in the Dejarik circle (center space) for 6 consecutive turns in which one of the players has not moved a monster.
empirejeff
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 5:15:59 AM

TheStarkiller wrote:

2: You win the game if you have a monster in the Dejarik circle (center space) for 6 consecutive turns

This is the best idea I have seen, just add where no one has attacked or something to that effect. I did not even think of this.Scared Woot Cool Confused LOL LOL LOL Blink
dalsiandon
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 10:22:56 AM

Mathias-Ordun wrote:
as much as I like a "balanced" game, Dejarik is less about "balance" and more about strategy.

For instance, a Strider (attack rating 2) attacking a Ng'ok (defense rating 8) should have almost NO chance of winning. You would NEVER attack with a Strider because it would be counter-killed almost every time, and that is the point of the defensive, offensive, and balanced characters.

As much as I hate to say it, Dejarik needs played with D6 dice, it's the only way to truly represent how it's supposed to be played and not turned into a "mass melee".

I understand your point, but I disagree. Startegy is very important, but consider that the base stats gives the character a disadvantage the dice are the equalizer, and so strategy is still needed.

The Strider has a very slim chance of defeating a Ngok, I am simply allowing for the possibility of success. the possiblilty is at least there for a win which will motivate for certain actions.

I tried it with the D6 and it was fun but a pain. I for one have no desire to play with 8 D6's either, which may sway my judgement a bit.

I have some other D20 set ideas that I tried on a couple of games that I'd be happy to post to give you an idea of where I started and how I got to this point.
dalsiandon
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 10:25:48 AM

TheStarkiller wrote:
First of all, Great Job! I like it.

I am definitely going to see how it works, and I hope you keep having fun with it.

One critique. You are doing 2 additions (adding the d20 as well as one of the following d4/d6/d8/d10). Did you try just working with the d20? Using the statistics from the monsters as essentially their attack bonus and defense bonus?
That would make it a lot more based on random rolls, which i think would penalize the unlucky.
I really like your variable dice rule.

Have you tried to re-work your rules so that, if you tie, you bump, but otherwise you are defeated. Instead of using d20's and a bunch of (5 over/5 under) extra math, you could just start with the bonus as you stated

I did try with just a d20 and it was like playing SSB. The same for when using the D6's, it was roll a ton of dice and hope it hits. I'd like to think my variables simplified it but didn't take the strategy away.

As for bumping? The rule set has push and counter push already inset into it and it is all based again upon dice rolls.
Mathias-Ordun
Posted: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 1:04:25 PM

dalsiandon wrote:
Mathias-Ordun wrote:

I understand your point, but I disagree. Startegy is very important, but consider that the base stats gives the character a disadvantage the dice are the equalizer, and so strategy is still needed.

The Strider has a very slim chance of defeating a Ngok, I am simply allowing for the possibility of success. the possiblilty is at least there for a win which will motivate for certain actions.

I tried it with the D6 and it was fun but a pain. I for one have no desire to play with 8 D6's either, which may sway my judgement a bit.

I have some other D20 set ideas that I tried on a couple of games that I'd be happy to post to give you an idea of where I started and how I got to this point.

I like the attempt at simplifying it, it just doesn't FEEL right to me. A Strider shouldn't have a chance to come close to rolling a 31 on an attack...I mean, basically you've mutilated defensive/offensive/mid characters. A strider should only be able to roll a 12 on an attack and a 48 on defense (if I'm thinking correctly of 2/8. not 31/32 for both.) Yes, it is rolling 8 d6 (heck, if we could get a set of a d12,18,24,30,36,42,48 and only have to roll 1 of them, I'd be happy as could be!) and maybe that is how it should be done if they are even available. 8 attack rolls a d48, 2 defense rolls a d12. Same basic principle, just going to be a pain to find dice sided like that.

Basically what I'm saying is, with rolling 2 dice that have equal outcomes, you're increasing the chances of rolling high on a piece that should never be able to roll high.

Back to the strider, against an 8 defense character, a strider should have a ridiculously low chance at tying, let alone winning (what would the odds be of 8 d6 rolling a 12 or lower combined with the odds of 2d6 rolling a 12? Astro-frickin-nomical that's what) There's an 83.3% chance for both rolls to get what they need (individual) 2 83.3% chances...which means that the probability for BOTH events to occur is 0.4%. 0.4%

With 2 dice on both sides equaling the same total? It's alot higher possibility to tie.
dalsiandon
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 11:02:30 AM

Mathias-Ordun wrote:
dalsiandon wrote:
Mathias-Ordun wrote:

I like the attempt at simplifying it, it just doesn't FEEL right to me. A Strider shouldn't have a chance to come close to rolling a 31 on an attack...I mean, basically you've mutilated defensive/offensive/mid characters. A strider should only be able to roll a 12 on an attack and a 48 on defense (if I'm thinking correctly of 2/8. not 31/32 for both.) Yes, it is rolling 8 d6 (heck, if we could get a set of a d12,18,24,30,36,42,48 and only have to roll 1 of them, I'd be happy as could be!) and maybe that is how it should be done if they are even available. 8 attack rolls a d48, 2 defense rolls a d12. Same basic principle, just going to be a pain to find dice sided like that.

Basically what I'm saying is, with rolling 2 dice that have equal outcomes, you're increasing the chances of rolling high on a piece that should never be able to roll high.

Back to the strider, against an 8 defense character, a strider should have a ridiculously low chance at tying, let alone winning (what would the odds be of 8 d6 rolling a 12 or lower combined with the odds of 2d6 rolling a 12? Astro-frickin-nomical that's what) There's an 83.3% chance for both rolls to get what they need (individual) 2 83.3% chances...which means that the probability for BOTH events to occur is 0.4%. 0.4%

With 2 dice on both sides equaling the same total? It's alot higher possibility to tie.

I see you point. Because you say that it nueters the strengths and weakness of each character it's an abomination. Fair enough.

SO here's a question have you tried my version yet? Or is it just too hard to fathom that it isn't worth your time? I have a hard time ignoring your point, but those took some time for me to come up wiht and i wont casually just say your right and I'm wrong without someone who has played saying it and saying why.
Mathias-Ordun
Posted: Thursday, April 15, 2010 12:34:00 PM

dalsiandon wrote:
Mathias-Ordun wrote:
dalsiandon wrote:
Mathias-Ordun wrote:

I see you point. Because you say that it nueters the strengths and weakness of each character it's an abomination. Fair enough.

SO here's a question have you tried my version yet? Or is it just too hard to fathom that it isn't worth your time? I have a hard time ignoring your point, but those took some time for me to come up wiht and i wont casually just say your right and I'm wrong without someone who has played saying it and saying why.

I'm not saying I won't try it. I'm just saying that I feel it neuters it. I definitely will try it! Don't get me wrong...it may prove to be an interesting variation on the game...it just...feels wrong to me at the moment. I will definitely give it a shot and then get back to you once I get the chance.
Squid89
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 9:36:49 AM

I created two PDF files with a summary of the rules that can be used during game play. They do not include selecting pieces or setup rules. One uses the d6 system and one follows the d20+secondary die alternative rules. The idea is to have one page that summarizes all the stats in an easy to read format and the table with the results. Any ideas for improvement are welcome and will be considered. I have found it very handy to have while playing without having to remember all the stats.

Images are from Centurion's Dantooine site.

Link: www.smithohio.com/dejarik