RegisterDonateLogin

I'll try stirring, that's a good trick.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

**SPOILER** Bane, Dynasty of Evil Options
Darth Kaotik
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 8:52:47 AM
Groups: Member

If you have not Dynasty of Evil, please refrain from reading this thread, as it might spoil your read of the Book in the future, thank you.

I think that Bane Transferred to Zannahs Body. But what concerns me is the fact that he kept his his true identity from his new apprentice, Darth Condus.
Does anyone have any theories that might explain his deception?
Markedman247 wrote that it was a possibility that he wanted to end his tracks as Darth Bane, and decided to pick up with Zannah as the new Master Sith Lord. I buy his theory, as it makes sense, but I think the execution of the story could have been played out better.
Any thoughts or theories?
kothandki
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 9:02:06 AM

The author said that Zannah survived, and Bane left a small imprint on her (hence the clenched hand).
Darth Kaotik
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 9:10:46 AM

kothandki wrote:
The author said that Zannah survived, and Bane left a small imprint on her (hence the clenched hand).

If what you say is true, then Bane has lost his place as my favorite Sith Lord of all time.
The reason I say this is because the books define him as the greatest Sith Lord of all time, and for him to lose in a battle of spritual will power to Zannah,(which IMO was the weakest between the two) makes it as a very dissappointing ending to a fantastic story arc. I have never in my life read a Star Wars Book that had me hooked and drooling, waiting for the other part to come out, not even the Mandalorian Armor series with Boba Fett had me as addicted as I was with the Bane trilogy.
Evotrooper
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 9:30:33 AM

SquelchDog
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 10:02:26 AM

Evotrooper wrote:

I get an error at that link for some reason. Confused Not sure why, can't see what it says.

kothandki wrote:

Where did you see that kothandki? I was under the impression that Bane pulled off the transfer. I loved all the Bane book's. My self I was rooting for Darth Zannah at the end. Bane is an awesome character and I liked him a lot, but a smokin hot blond Wub as the Lord of the Sith! Woo Hoo!

P.S. Thanks for adding a spoiler alert to the thread title Darth Kaotik. ThumpUp
markedman247
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 10:23:29 AM

The thread on the other site got locked. I don't know if it got removed but it got locked.
qvos
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 12:18:14 PM

Ya I remember that Thread that got locked. That was a great discussion. Now I have to go back and reread the Bane book again. I hope he comes out with a follow up book or series!
carnorjax1
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 12:48:27 PM

It was hard to tell who won. Why would Bane not tell Cognus he lived? But then again, there was the whole clenching hand thing, so maybe he won. If Drew Kapershyn(hope thats spelled right) intended Zannah to be the victor, I wish he hadn't been so vague about it...
Draconarius
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 12:54:15 PM

SquelchDog wrote:
kothandki wrote:

Where did you see that kothandki? I was under the impression that Bane pulled off the transfer. I loved all the Bane book's. My self I was rooting for Darth Zannah at the end. Bane is an awesome character and I liked him a lot, but a smokin hot blond Wub as the Lord of the Sith! Woo Hoo!

Refer to this link.
Darth Kaotik
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:43:12 PM

Thanks for the Wizos link Evo, I liked alot of the stuff I read on there.
My interpretation is that Bane pulled the Transfer off, because he went through Hell to get the knowledge from Adenddus Holocron, and what happened after he got it makes it seem more that it would all have been in vein, had he actually lost to Zannahs will.
True, Zannahs Mastery of Sith Majic was top notch, but even Bane was able to realize reality and negate her tricks. To top that off, at the end of the book, Zannah speaks completely different then before the final battle, kind of talking as if she was in fact Bane. Even Condus asks her "Lord Bane?", because she felt his life force, but couldn't tell what was what. When Zannah answers, she totally sounds like the Cold SoB Bane.
I never could root for Zannah, because she was impatient with the apprentice she originally chose, that Dark Jedi guy (whatever his name was). You look at Sith Lords today, and most of their apprentices are pretty dang tough, I.E, Vader, Maul, Ulic etc.
But with Zannah, she was more of an opportunist, waiting to seize the mantle from Bane when he was weaker, instead of testing her potential.
I don't know, I mean a guy who can survive the Orbalisks, getting deep fried (by his own hand), Tortured and starvation should not have lost to a two bit apprentice in Zannah. I mean even the Huntress ( AkA Cognus) gave Bane a better run for his money then Zannah did.
**Edited** Correction on Cognus' spelling.
Darth Kaotik
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 1:51:20 PM

Well there ya have it folks.....Bane lost to Zannah.
I read that link that Draconarius posted up, and I have to be honest.....it peeves me off. Drew is so obsessed about saying that he believes he got the point across pretty cut and dry, but if he did, this thread would not exist. Regardless of what he says, he was vague about the outcome of the story, and shouldn't emphasize that he wrote it perfectly, ofcourse thats just my opinion.
Draconarius
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 3:13:14 PM

Darth Kaotik wrote:
Well there ya have it folks.....Bane lost to Zannah.
I read that link that Draconarius posted up, and I have to be honest.....it peeves me off. Drew is so obsessed about saying that he believes he got the point across pretty cut and dry, but if he did, this thread would not exist. Regardless of what he says, he was vague about the outcome of the story, and shouldn't emphasize that he wrote it perfectly, ofcourse thats just my opinion.

He does admit that he was unintentionally vague. Unfortunately, as he also says, it has become a bit of a habit of storytellers lately to squeeze in as many twists as possible, and thus readers don't know whether to trust the storyteller or not anymore. Every little detail is scrutinised for possible future twists. Overthinking, is the term, I believe.
brennan
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:05:45 AM

First of all Banes apprentices name is COGNUS not COndun or whatever(that reminds me of something elseBlushing ) My opinion was that Bane did survive, the reason he named himself Zannah was probably either to keep it a secret or he was a little woozy from the fight and stuff. Also notice he/she said Bane is GONE, not dead or cast away! Also as was stated earlier He/she sounded like Bane, not Zannah. Earlier in the book it talked of Banes Immensely powerful will and how by pure force of it, how he made himself what he was. Also when it came down to it, Bane was a power house and Zannah was more of a deceiver. It came down to a struggle of brute force and earlier in the book it said no one could beat Bane when it came down to that. I surmise that mostly Bane lived on in Zannahs body and maybe(if there is a next book) Bane would transfer into a clone body

Will continue later. sopposd to be doing school!
DarthJak
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:22:49 AM

I think Bane took over Zannah's body, allowing both of them to "live".
Ulic Qel-Droma
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:59:48 AM

Bane is definetly in the argument for the greatest Sith of all time.

Along with Kun, Sidious, and Krayt they all either took over the galaxy, or just about did or reformed the Sith in some major way.

Bane's reformation lasted until Darth Krayt. That's a lot of time and it was ultimately successful with Sidious at the helm.

So as far as philosophy is concerned, Bane accomplished what he set out to do.

He trained an apprentice that defeated him, in this he was also successful. Thinking that Bane lived on in Zannah and just assumed her identity is a bit of a reach in my opinion.

He was successful in everything he wanted to do. He destroyed the Brotherhood of the Sith. He was successful in laying the groundwork for his philosophy to develop. He trained his apprentice to do exactly what he needed her to do. Along the way he killed some Jedi and destabilized the Republic and wiped out opposing Dark Side sects.

I don't see any way in which he wasn't successful.
Darth Kaotik
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:19:45 PM

Well Ulic, since you put it so well, I will agree with you.
It took thousands of years for someone to ruin the rule of 2 (Darth Krayt), and that is pretty stang good for a sith Lord to have had that last for as long as the rule of two did.
Palpatine was a decent Master, but I don't think he would ever want to relinquish his place as Vaders Master. In every thing that I've read and seen, he was pretty selfish and cowardly. Though he was cunning, he still stole the title of Sith Lord from Plageus when he killed him in his sleep. But as far as holding the mantle down, Sidious did a fairly good job.
zorc62
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:21:16 PM

Ulic Qel-Droma wrote:
Bane is definetly in the argument for the greatest Sith of all time.

Along with Kun, Sidious, and Krayt they all either took over the galaxy, or just about did or reformed the Sith in some major way.

Bane's reformation lasted until Darth Krayt. That's a lot of time and it was ultimately successful with Sidious at the helm.

So as far as philosophy is concerned, Bane accomplished what he set out to do.

He trained an apprentice that defeated him, in this he was also successful. Thinking that Bane lived on in Zannah and just assumed her identity is a bit of a reach in my opinion.

He was successful in everything he wanted to do. He destroyed the Brotherhood of the Sith. He was successful in laying the groundwork for his philosophy to develop. He trained his apprentice to do exactly what he needed her to do. Along the way he killed some Jedi and destabilized the Republic and wiped out opposing Dark Side sects.

I don't see any way in which he wasn't successful.

I agree completely.

Also, keep in mind that Star Wars has a definite canon, and as such, the author's word goes (after all, it could have an impact in a later story). Bane lost, and that was in fact his greatest success.

As for why the Wizos thread got locked, I think it was getting a bit too heated in the debate.
yodaccm
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:36:39 PM

I'm not sure how anyone can believe Bane is still alive considering the author of the book explicitly said in a blog that Bane was gone. I suppose another author could come along and go with the theory that Bane transferred his essence into Zannah, but until that happens, Bane is officially dead.

As for those who suggest that Sidious was not on the same level as Bane, and was cowardly and more cunning, the dude took on Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Saesee Tin, and Agen Kolar single-handedly, quickly killing all but Windu. Then, as a true Sith would, used the ignorance and stupidity of Anakin to finish off Mace. After besting those formidable Jedi, he fought Yoda to a stand-still. Certainly in the eyes of Bane and other Sith, Palpatine was a formidable warrior and cunning strategist, possibly more cunning than Bane himself.

I'll go with the old "(insert name of overly powerful superhero) vs. Batman" theory. In that, if Batman had time to prepare, Batman could defeat any superhero/villain. I would give the same advantage to Palpatine. He played the Jedi for chumps for at least a decade and then in more or less one sweep wiped them out. Bane would not have been an intriguing villain for the original Trilogy. He worked well as the forefather of the Sith, but as a figure to manipulate the entire galaxy and the architect of the Jedi Order's fall, Palpatine is the grand master!

In George Lucas just came up with the name Darth Bane, said he started the Rule of Two, all as set up for the Prequels. For all we know, in George Lucas' eyes, Bane was as cunning and manipulative as Sidious, not some hulking Jedi killer.
Evotrooper
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:53:59 PM

Darth Kaotik wrote:
It took thousands of years for someone to ruin the rule of 2 (Darth Krayt), and that is pretty stang good for a sith Lord to have had that last for as long as the rule of two did.

Just want to point out that Darth Krayt didn't actually "RUIN" the rule of 2. The Rule of 2 was end at Darth Caedus (for now, untill more NJO/NR books bring out more rule of 2 Siths).

Darth Krayt never was in the line of Bane's Sith order. He created he own one Sith empire because he learned everything from Xoxaan's holocron.

Xoxaan was a Dark Jedi in exile and went to Korriban with other Dark Jedis, then they became Sith Lords and createrd their own Sith Order.

The information is from the comic: Star Wars Legacy.

Form more information, you can go to Wookieepedia and search.
Evotrooper
Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:13:03 PM

yodaccm wrote:
As for those who suggest that Sidious was not on the same level as Bane, and was cowardly and more cunning, the dude took on Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Saesee Tin, and Agen Kolar single-handedly, quickly killing all but Windu.

I have little opinion about the "cowardly" part...

According to what Sidious told Anakin in the movie, Sidious said that his master Darth Plagueis lost all the power and Sidious killed Plagueis in his sleep...

I didn't read the books about RotS, so i'm not sure was Sidious telling the truth...

If so, Sidious didn't follow the rule of two and duel his powerless master which was really brave, and had to "cunningly" kill Plagueis in his sleep... wow, really impressiveThumbDown