RegisterDonateLogin

Makes good bait for Gungan traps.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Origins Game Fair 2010 - Columbus, OH Options
Squid89
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:13:47 AM
Groups: Member

This is the last week (ends April 30) for the "early bird" convention pass for anyone interested in attending this year. The dates are June 23-27 at the Columbus Convention Center. Website: http://originsgames.com/Home/tabid/2737/Default.aspx Early Bird is $50 for the whole show. Military and Educators are $30 (be sure to check for that option if it applies to you). The events, unfortunately, are not going to be available before the early bird pricing ends, but should be posted in full by mid-May. There are a couple SWM events that StSparks72 and I are sponsoring - we'll let you know when they become available for registration.

Thursday - Tatooine Battle - using various Tatooine maps (official and JediCartographers) and pre-made squads, we'll have a 5 on 5 battle. Each "team" will be randomly selected and you will receive one random themed squad. Some of the squads are Sandtroopers, Jawas, Tuskens, Jabba and his crew, Episode I Naboo Starship crew, and others. Each have been balanced against the other squads as best we can without too much of the overly-complex interactions. A basic knowledge of SWM rules is all that is needed to join in.

Friday - Battle for Hoth - 5 on 5 mass battle. All supplies for this one are provided as well. Play as Rebels or Imperials and try to destroy the opposition. The battle field stretches 8'x8' and has some 3D terrain elements. Modified rules are used based around trooper squads (4 or 9 pieces activate as one) for faster game play. You don't need ot know how to play SWM to join and have fun. Seeing 5 At-Ats and 10 At-Sts assault the Rebels is quite the sight - but be careful of the Wampa attacks!

Saturday - Endor goes 3D - 5 on 5 mass battle. Supplies provided and modified SWM rules very much like the Hoth battle on Friday. Imperials start on the landing platform while the ewoks are in their village. Both sides race to control the bunker while fighting enemy forces. Lots of custom pieces and terrain interactions and more ewoks than you might ever want to see :)

Anyone else know they are coming to Origins this year? Anyone wanting to, but have not confirmed? Happy to answer any questions and get some board members there to hang out.
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:21:33 AM

I was just getting ready to post something on gamers inquiring about this as I hadn't heard anything. Little disappointed that it is only scenarios, but I will still likely be there.
stsparks72
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:59:24 AM

The Celestial Warrior wrote:
I was just getting ready to post something on gamers inquiring about this as I hadn't heard anything. Little disappointed that it is only scenarios, but I will still likely be there.
The Tatooine Battle plays very much like a constructed battle.

I've ran constructed events the past couple years at Origins and the attendance was extremely poor. The first year I did alright (2008), but last year I got like 2 people and the prize was a complete set of miniatures prior to it's release. However, our scenario's did really well last year and I believe that the distant future of the game lies with scenario play.

Anyway, that's the reason why we didn't run any SWM constructed events this year.

Hope to see you there,
BigGrin
The Celestial Warrior
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:00:42 AM

Yeah, I was in Iraq last year, and that took out my whole group...
Squid89
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:00:32 AM

It'll be great if you get to make it back this year. We can always find a place to play some pick up games even though it won't be a constructed event. I also hope to have a custom Dejarik board (constructed, not just printed map) finished by then and maybe play a few quick games of holochess between events.
Squid89
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:29:57 AM

Event registration is almost live (finally). The schedule they posted to sign up for the events is Tabletops – Wednesday, May 26 at Noon Eastern Time // Role-playing – Thursday, May 27 at Noon Eastern Time // All other events – Friday, May 28 at Noon Eastern Time. We're getting closer anyway. The event book is downloadable in PDF form for now as well. Home page link: http://originsgames.com/Home/tabid/2737/Default.aspx
Squid89
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:16:00 PM

Today (June 14) is the last day for pre-registration. I'm happy to see the Tatooine and Endor scenarios are sold out. There are still a few Hoth battle tickets remaining. Hopefully, those of you who had planned to attend got your tickets. See you there next week.