RegisterDonateLogin

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Milk the Bloo?

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Mistakes Options
Segastorm
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:57:56 AM
Groups: Member

George Lucas has done a lot to the star wars timeline, but he has done a few things that make it confusing sometimes. What do you think he shouldn't have to the timeline? For me, Darth Sidious having multiple clone bodies was a mistake, and the idea of Midichlorians was also a bad move.
wampafang
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:50:53 AM

George Lucas' fingerprints are mainly on the six films, so if you are referring to Sidious having a clone post ROTJ I don't think he had anything to do with that as he virtually ignores the EU.

As for mistakes, I am sure this thread will be chock full of rants when it is all said and done, but for me they are as follows:

1. Not doing due diligence to the love story between Anakin and Padme in E2...it was too rushed, like it had to happen within a certain time frame, and love is not like that.

2. Anakin turning to the Dark Side in E3...again little build up, no agonizing, just one snap decision and total devotion to Sidious, or so it seemed to me.

3. The prequels and the OT not meshing well with certain plot holes not ironed out and the overwhelming use of CGI makes the two trilogies easily distinguishable. I was hoping for seamless...or as seemless as possible.

4. Lucas ignoring (but still authorizing) EU canon. For me it was writing Karen Traviss out of the saga. Its one thing to ignore it and pay little or no attention to it, but its another thing to authorize its creation as a money grab, wait until its popularity is at its peak, and then pretend it never existed...Alienates a lot of folks. We will have to see how much Clone Wars EU stuff has been steamrolled by the Clone Wars TV show.

5. Greedo shooting first.

Overall, I have a love hate relationship with Lucas. I love his universe, but I hate that he micromanages it to the extent that he does. He should create a "bible" that has general guidelines of what can and cannot be done, and then let others' creativity run wild.
amsnow
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:36:58 PM

to me the biggest thing i wished he wouldve changed (and it wont be a big deal to you guys) or done different was the duel with sid, mace, kit, agen and saesee, the latter 3 went down so easily and not only does that not make sense seeing as theyre all council members with atleast enough skill to block, i dont know, one saber swipe (save for kit) but i just hated to see some of my favorite characters get nerfed so easily, i know they should lose but it seemed to easy
Lobotnik
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:04:14 PM

amsnow wrote:
to me the biggest thing i wished he wouldve changed (and it wont be a big deal to you guys) or done different was the duel with sid, mace, kit, agen and saesee, the latter 3 went down so easily and not only does that not make sense seeing as theyre all council members with atleast enough skill to block, i dont know, one saber swipe (save for kit) but i just hated to see some of my favorite characters get nerfed so easily, i know they should lose but it seemed to easy

I completely agree. I was totally stoked about episode III. Despite my disappointment at episodes I and II they were saved by the lightsaber dueling. I figured episode III would have a second half of practically only lightsaber duels and was gutted when this didn't happen.

Lucas should have let his stranglehold go on Star Wars because he clearly didn't care about anything other than making money. He should have let Spielberg direct the newer ones.

Having R2-D2 and C-3PO so closely connected to Vader was ridiculous in my opinion.

The whole cafuffle about Anakin not being a master in episode III and then oh look, he has a padawan in the tv series!

I love the original trilogy and the EU and if in the end I have to ignore what Lucas does to Star Wars then so be it Woot
wannabe mexican
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:37:43 PM

Speaking of plot holes:

Ben Kenobi: I don't recall ever owning a droid...

IT'S ONLY R2-D2 AND C-3PO!!! The droids who accompanied you on just about every mission you went on since the death of your master. Especially R2-D2, the hero droid who saved the lives of everyone on that ship escaping from Naboo, singlehandedly organised the rescue of Mace Windu and Anakin from the hands of those bounty hunters and was instrumental for the rescue of Chancellor Palpatine from General Grievous, amongst other things.

I think maybe, MAYBE, they could have been introduced in episode 3 with Captain Antilles. But no sooner.
Xeonaught
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 6:31:09 PM

Lobotnik wrote:
amsnow wrote:

I completely agree. I was totally stoked about episode III. Despite my disappointment at episodes I and II they were saved by the lightsaber dueling. I figured episode III would have a second half of practically only lightsaber duels and was gutted when this didn't happen.

Lucas should have let his stranglehold go on Star Wars because he clearly didn't care about anything other than making money. He should have let Spielberg direct the newer ones.

Having R2-D2 and C-3PO so closely connected to Vader was ridiculous in my opinion.

The whole cafuffle about Anakin not being a master in episode III and then oh look, he has a padawan in the tv series!

I love the original trilogy and the EU and if in the end I have to ignore what Lucas does to Star Wars then so be it Woot

You dont have to be a master tto train a padawan. In the original clone wars anakin passes into knighthood and from there on entitled to train a padawan. quigon wasnt a master yet he had obiwan. luminara isnt a master yet she trains bariss offee
Segastorm
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 9:41:26 PM

Xeonaught wrote:
Lobotnik wrote:
amsnow wrote:

You dont have to be a master tto train a padawan. In the original clone wars anakin passes into knighthood and from there on entitled to train a padawan. quigon wasnt a master yet he had obiwan. luminara isnt a master yet she trains bariss offee

Actually, Qui-Gon and Luminara were Jedi Masters. A better example would be that when Obi-Wan was a knight, he trained Anakin.
trappedslider
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:21:35 AM

Sithborg
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:01:40 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

wannabe mexican wrote:
Speaking of plot holes:

Ben Kenobi: I don't recall ever owning a droid...

"A young Jedi named Darth Vader killed your father..."

No offense, but considering Ben's tendency to bend the truth, there is really little conflict with anything he said.

Honestly, I would say his biggest misteps were in Episode I. Midichlorians was such a terrible idea. And introducing us to 2 of the best new characters to the saga, only to kill them off in the same movie was a waste (Qui-gon and Maul).
Durge Dude
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 7:10:02 AM

Segastorm wrote:
Xeonaught wrote:
Lobotnik wrote:
amsnow wrote:

Actually, Qui-Gon and Luminara were Jedi Masters. A better example would be that when Obi-Wan was a knight, he trained Anakin.

I may be wrong and if so correct me, but as I understand it, the only way to become a Jedi Master is to train a padawan to knighthood.
amsnow
Posted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 4:40:57 PM

Segastorm wrote:
Xeonaught wrote:
Lobotnik wrote:
amsnow wrote:

when ki-adi-mundi first got on the council he was a knight too
tvknight415
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 12:50:28 PM

The notes about midiclorians should have been shredded, put in a wrapper, and smoked. The same should be done for the whole 'chosen one' idea.

Jar Jar Binks should have been killed off very unceremoniously... and early... in Episode I.

Han shot first! Yeah, it makes him much more of a schmuck, but it also makes his character growth all the more meaningful. Besides, if Greedo is sitting 3 feet away across the table, there's no way he should have missed and hit the wall... especially with a stationary target.

The Saarlac is not related to Seymour from Little Shop of Horrors!

Rather than screwing around with the Clone Wars animated projects, Lucas should have just kept making movies and made the Thrawn Trilogy as Ep. 7-9... and have Zahn write the script please.

When it comes to CGI, sometimes less really is more.

Would it have been that hard to do subtitles for Ponda Baba?

If Mara Jade was in Jabba's palace, then she should've also been in a slave costume... with lots of screen time.

If padawans spend their entire childhood learning to be jedi, how the hell did Luke do it with a few hours of instruction from Obi-Wan on the Falcon, and maybe a few days with Yoda on Dagobah? Did he have a holocron of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being a Jedi"?
curler88j
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 1:28:30 PM

tvknight415 wrote:

Rather than screwing around with the Clone Wars animated projects, Lucas should have just kept making movies and made the Thrawn Trilogy as Ep. 7-9... and have Zahn write the script please.

If Mara Jade was in Jabba's palace, then she should've also been in a slave costume... with lots of screen time.

If padawans spend their entire childhood learning to be jedi, how the hell did Luke do it with a few hours of instruction from Obi-Wan on the Falcon, and maybe a few days with Yoda on Dagobah? Did he have a holocron of "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being a Jedi"?
i would have to agree with these statements
Lobotnik
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 10:07:37 PM

tvknight415 wrote:
The notes about midiclorians should have been shredded, put in a wrapper, and smoked. The same should be done for the whole 'chosen one' idea.

Jar Jar Binks should have been killed off very unceremoniously... and early... in Episode I.

Han shot first! Yeah, it makes him much more of a schmuck, but it also makes his character growth all the more meaningful. Besides, if Greedo is sitting 3 feet away across the table, there's no way he should have missed and hit the wall... especially with a stationary target.

The Saarlac is not related to Seymour from Little Shop of Horrors!

When it comes to CGI, sometimes less really is more.

Would it have been that hard to do subtitles for Ponda Baba?

Agree with all of the above. Subtitles are available for Ponda Baba on the original Robot Chicken version. It certainly adds more substance to Ponda's character.

CGI deserves special mention. Battle of Naboo? Bunch of computer stuff does NOT beat people dressed up as stormtroopers versus dwarves dressed up as teddy bears running around in the woods shooting each other....PERIOD!
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 3:35:01 AM

So you want Lucas to add scenes that Zahn retconned into the original movie? Sigh
trappedslider
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:30:45 AM

Sithborg wrote:
So you want Lucas to add scenes that Zahn retconned into the original movie? Sigh

which would ruin the movies even moreCrying
Lobotnik
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 10:56:38 AM

Sithborg wrote:

Completely irrelevant but what does retconned mean? I am not being sarcastic, I just checked in the OED and couldn't find it. Is it American for something? Again, genuinely want to know - it doesn't look like a typo to me, just want to know.
Sithborg
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 11:14:57 AM

"Retroactive Continuity", is my best guess. Anyway, it means adding or changing something old based on something new. It is something every SW fan is pretty aware off, even with just the movies.

Reading this thread makes me happy the fans do not have control. God save Star Wars from the fans. Seriously, Ponda Boba doesn't need subtitles, and it removes the fun of the Dr. E interaction.
trappedslider
Posted: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 5:52:07 PM

Sithborg wrote:

Reading this thread makes me happy the fans do not have control. God save Star Wars from the fans.

LOL

as for Retcon
Lobotnik
Posted: Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:17:13 PM

Sithborg wrote:
"Retroactive Continuity", is my best guess. Anyway, it means adding or changing something old based on something new. It is something every SW fan is pretty aware off, even with just the movies.

Reading this thread makes me happy the fans do not have control. God save Star Wars from the fans. Seriously, Ponda Boba doesn't need subtitles, and it removes the fun of the Dr. E interaction.

Cheers both for the info on retcon.

I am glad that the fans don't have direct control over Star Wars, just wish GL had given the prequels to a decent director and screen writer. And Jar Jar should have died ThumbsUp