RegisterDonateLogin

To pass it up is a big mistake-y.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Ignore? Options
thodafett
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:16:02 AM
Groups: Member

Is there a way on these forums to ignore people? There are a couple of peeps on here that must really feel they are something and can talk anyway they would like to other posters. To be honest I am sick and tired of it, and if these individuals happen to say to my face the things they say to people on these boards, they would find themselves to be missing a few teeth. It just irks me that they hide behind their computer screens thinking they are so tough. There is no need to be rude, you aren't as smart as you thing you are, and YES, your poo does stink.

So in light of not wanting legal action, jail time, or even higher blood pressure, is there a way to ignore people on these forums?
LoboStele
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:33:30 PM

No official way to Ignore that I'm aware of, but there's always a way to work around it. The other thing to remember, is that 99% of the time, people don't mean things the way you read them online. So just because you think someone is being rude, doesn't mean that was actually their intention.

Try taking a step back from whatever was said, re-read it, and try to see it from a different perspective.

Granted, I have absolutely no idea what you may be referring to (though I can guess). I've met a very large number of the people on the various forums at GenCon and other events, and I can guarantee that most of them are very different in person than they tend to come off on the forums. And most people say that after they meet someone in person, that their online posts seem totally different.

So, the way to 'ignore' people's comments that you think are rude or such, is to just simply start reading them differently, or stop reading them altogether. ;)
thodafett
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 3:20:50 AM

Fair enough, and thank you for the reply and imput. It just gets old really fast to watch how some of us treat each other. I am sure I am guilty of it as well at times, so please don't think I consider myself 100% innocent or the perfect angel. I come here to read about and hopefully enjoy my hobby, not deal with even more stress and rudeness. I have enough of that in my life for myself and many others. Anyway I will try to be more objective in my post reading, however Shinja an ignore button would be an appreciated upgrade at some point.
Demosthenes
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 7:17:55 AM

An ignore button would be impractical, because then people would be replying to a post that you could not see, and it wouldn't make any sense.
Sithborg
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 7:18:29 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

If there is a post you feel crosses the line, PM a mod, that is why we are here. A report button would be helpful.

Granted, I don't like the idea of an ignore button, mainly because I wouldn't be allowed to use it. lol
mercenary_moose
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 1:01:07 PM

Thodafett does raise a good point; there is just way too much trolling and personal attacks on here. And I wonder why it might be strange for me to visit this site once a week while I use the friendly and troll-free Axis and Allies Forumini every single day.
Sashlon
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 9:00:23 PM

I too feel like there is a lot of really inappropriate stuff that goes on here. A lot of trolling and baiting. Its one of the reasons why I rarely post anything.

I don't think an ignore button is the answer, I just think the site rules should be invialable with zero tolerance.

BlooMilk
RannKonnar
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 11:47:16 PM

I agree with Borgy.
A report button IMO would prob. a good thing.
thodafett
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 1:09:57 AM

Sithborg wrote:
If there is a post you feel crosses the line, PM a mod, that is why we are here. A report button would be helpful.

Granted, I don't like the idea of an ignore button, mainly because I wouldn't be allowed to use it. lol

I think you do your job just fine Sithborg, moderation isn't the issue IMHO. The Wotc site had at one point an ignore button, it was nice to be able to ignore those posters who you didn't care to read, regardless of the reason. Anyway it isn't an option on here, so I will just deal with it. Lobosteele had some good points
Uggie Demo
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 3:52:11 AM

I agree, the mods do a good job at what they do.
This report button idea could be good. But it might also lead to the mods being annoyed.
Cause alot of people would misinterpret things and keep reporting it to the mods, when it really doesn't need to be.
So for now I think users just need to try to read it from a different perspective or like Lobosteel said stop reading them all together.
Sithborg
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 10:23:01 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator, Rules Guy

Again, if you see trolling or baiting, PM a mod. They are listed on the sticky in each section. We are still human, and I know for myself, my time has gotten really time, so I can't check everything.

And there is no issue with a Report button. We are mods, we accepted the responsibilty. I can't see how it could ever be a hassle.
RannKonnar
Posted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 10:11:40 PM

Right.