RegisterDonateLogin

Living proof that the Force has a sense of humor!

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Tile Wars: Summer fun for Lobotnik & wannabe mexican Options
Lobotnik
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 3:52:36 AM
Groups: Member

Now that I have moved back home for the Summer we have decided to try and play SWMs as much as possible. While full games may not be possible each day we decided to try out Tile Wars because they have a strict time limit and squads should be simpler to design because there are several factors you don't really have to account for.

Having played two games already we decided that apart from falling in love with this variant we should make a fun diary of our battles. I am sure that the squads will improve as the Summer progresses and we learn how to better fight in close quarters.

Feel free to comment on our squads and give you own examples or stories regarding Tile Wars. We are now converts to this game variant, thank you to those who created it. I'll put my report on the next post.
Lobotnik
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 4:04:47 AM

Play report 1:

wannabe mexican's squad:

51 Durge, Jedi Hunter
43 Asajj Ventress, Separatist Assassin
54 EG-05 Jedi Hunter Droid x2
17 IG-86 Assassin Droid
14 Captain Mar Tuuk
9 Battle Droid Officer
9 Mouse Droid x3
3 Rodian Brute

Lobotnik's squad:

71 Lord Vader
51 Imperial Sentinel
14 Imperial Officer
39 Kel Dor Bounty Hunter x3
8 Muun Tactics Broker
5 Bespin Guard
12 Rodian Brute x4

Ok, mexican can comment on his tactic, but mine was fairly simple. I wanted to use Lord Vader because I just won him on eBay and think he is cool (sound strategy I know ;)) and the Sentinel got advantageous and an extra attack from the Officer. I wanted to run the Kel Dors in close once I had out-activated my opponent then start exploding them with the MTB.

I won the roll for set up so Mexican went first. He put Ventress on the front line so I based her with a Kel Dor in set up and blew him up at the first init roll. I then went in and swiped away with Vader killing her in my first activation. A good start but I had already made my first mistake. The Hunter Droids took out Vader along with help from a few other pieces and by the end of the first round Vader was gone and I did not have much damage output left. This was the main lesson I learned in my first Tile Wars game. The damage output of the other squad was immense compared to mine.

I managed to kill the Hunter Droids but the Sentinel died also. Scrubs died pretty quickly all throughout and in the last round I was facing Durge, IG-86 and Mar Tuuk with an MTB and Imp Officer. Also Mexican had a few Mousies left.

I was constantly out maneuvered by Mexican who kept his stuff blocked by the 3 mice very effectively. It was a tactic that really killed my squad.

Despite that I really enjoyed the game, short and fun, lots of killing - isn't that what Star Wars is all about?
wannabe mexican
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 4:11:47 AM

Ventress went down to 10HP. She wasn't dead. She was able to put some damage onto the Imperial sentinal before dying.

I figured in such a confined space there would be a lot of melee use. And Jedi are good at melee, so just wanted lots of jedi hunter and multiple attacks. Worked out pretty well. Would have been better against more than one Jedi though, as Vader went down fast.
Lobotnik
Posted: Saturday, July 3, 2010 6:52:48 AM

Oops, forgot Ventress lasted that long. Think I used a Kel Dor and combined fire to take her out after the second phase.

Round 2 of our Summer bonanza:

My squad:

82 Darth Bane
23 Jarael
46 Sith Lord x2
22 Sith Apprentice
18 Twi'lek Black Sun Vigo
6 Mouse Droid x2
3 Rodian Brute

And wannabe mexican's squad:

55 General Obi-Wan Kenobi
49 Anakin Skywalker, Champion of Nelvaan
31 Dengar, Hired Killer
24 Roron Corobb
11 ARF Trooper
11 Wookiee Scoundrel
9 R2-D2, Astromech Droid
9 Rodian Brute x3

I ended up going first. First activation I moved in Bane on Gowk and scored 100 damage. The wannabe towed Roron into the middle of the rest of my guys and put 30 damage on basically everyone but only TBSV and a Sith Lord got activated. I was hardly able to put any damage on Roron that round despite moving Jarael onto him and the Sith Apprentice. Gowk didn't get to play, I used a Sith Lord to LA on him and he died hard. Then the Sith Lord was near Anakin who scored a few hits. The other Sith Lord went at Anakin and Force Lighteninged his butt, which was then finished off by Bane. One of my Sith Lords went down by the hand of Dengar. TBSV also died but we can't remember who. Maybe by the Wookie Scoundrel, maybe a Brute. Wookie Scoundrel landed a few cunning attacks which were tough to swallow. Jarael also died at the hands of Dengar but Bane and a few minions survived to enjoy the victory. It was a short game, maybe 5 rounds but the pieces fell fast so the rounds didn't take long at all.

A lot of fun that one.
Squid89
Posted: Sunday, July 4, 2010 10:23:09 PM

Great fun, guys. It only takes a game or two to create Tile Wars converts it seems. lol Nice reports. I don't get to play the format as much as I would like, but enjoy reading about the variety of squads and play tactics. I hope you keep up the posts.
Lobotnik
Posted: Monday, July 5, 2010 6:49:58 PM

We will try. We don't have much space right now in our room so it is the best format for us. And I like the different options for squads, it is possible to get a lot more firepower in there because of the small arena. My brother gets back in a few days so we should have some more games this week.
TimmerB123
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 1:53:13 PM

LOVE IT! So glad you guys are digging the format. Don't forget we are having a TILE WARS tournament at GenCon!

If you haven't tried Kyle Katarn Battle Master in Tile Wars - you should. Disruptive is HUGE in this format, and Grenades 40 is always fun too!
Lobotnik
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 9:04:24 PM

Unfortunately GenCon is too far away for us. I wish they had something like that in England but we just don't have enough players. I am looking forward to the play reports from GenCon though. When my brother returns I will set him to work creating squads. I have made about 10 or so since he left lol. It is a good way to test out a lot of the pieces I have never played with also. The games are so short we can fit a lot of them in.

Love the format. Will keep you all updated :)
TimmerB123
Posted: Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:35:04 AM

Lobotnik wrote:
Unfortunately GenCon is too far away for us. I wish they had something like that in England but we just don't have enough players. I am looking forward to the play reports from GenCon though. When my brother returns I will set him to work creating squads. I have made about 10 or so since he left lol. It is a good way to test out a lot of the pieces I have never played with also. The games are so short we can fit a lot of them in.

Love the format. Will keep you all updated :)

One of the beauties of the format, also one of the reasons for it's creation. Time constraints and/or space constraints are great reasons to play TILE WARS. Guaranteed carnage is the main reason of course. BigGrin
imyurhukaberry
Posted: Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:40:44 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

Carnage? Haha...might be an understatement.
I played a quick Tile Wars online with...umm...forget who...might have been Joruus...and it was over in like 2 rounds. I believe it was the fastest game I have ever played. It is definitely fun though!
wannabe mexican
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:22:40 AM

Just to let you all know, we will be playing more Tile Wars battles. We discovered Rome: Total War the other week and are now pretty addicted to it. It should wear off soon though and we will get back to playing.
corranhorn
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 8:45:07 AM

Nice strategy! ThumpUp haha iv done that millions of times