RegisterDonateLogin

Would never consciously betray the Rebellion.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

''Official'' Old School Booster League Rules (and possible sign-ups...) Options
creme_brule
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 5:49:51 AM
Groups: Member

---THIS IS THE OFFICIAL RULES OF THE UPCOMING OLD SCHOOL BOOSTER LEAGUE ON VASSAL---

OK guys, this is the 'official' rules thread for my upcoming Old School booster league on VASSAL...if you think you'd like to join please either BM me or post a comment on here (NOTE: this is NOT an official sign-up thread!)

OVERVIEW:
::::::::::::::::::::::
This league was designed for those who are tired of power creep and broken squads and just want to play a few 'flashback' games. There will be (hopefully) 8 players EXCLUDING myself (i will not participate in the actual games...i'll be functioning as a gamemaster sort of and referee). People will vet various maps, characters, and sets they do not like or think is broken at the start of the league. They will also get to choose their own boosters at the start of the league. There will be approx. 8-10 games...(i have not decided how many yet). EVERYONE gets into the playoffs, except it will function differently as the others. Details are below.

Part I: Signing up

At first signup, ALL R-S-O maps will be open to play during the whole of the league. BUT, when each person posts that they want to join, they will ALSO post their choice of 2 maps they want to veto from the R-S-O list. Since there will be 8 players, a total of 16 different maps will be vetoed. The remaining amount of maps will be the maps that will be used in the league. Each map will be played once by each player. So, if there are 6 maps remaining, the normal season will last 6 weeks (one map for each week). Also, when they signup they will also post their choice of 1 SWM realeased set (including huge sets but not SS). A total of 8 sets will be vetoed leaving 8 sets not vetoed. After everyone has signed up and posted their veto choices, they will choose 2 characters from the remaining non-vetoed sets that they want to veto. This will make a total of 16 vetoed characters from the eremaining sets. (NOTE: UUgnaught demolitionists cannot be vetoed, thought COTF may be. Each person is automatically provided with one ugi demo).

ERRATA:
each player instead of a choice of (1) veto set they are instead
allowed to veto up to (4) characters of any choice from any set. I myself as gamesmaster will most likely veto up to 4 or 5 characters myself. So all sets are still open and such. The league will go on for 8 weeks -- one for each remaining map that will be left (each player vetoes 2 maps, and i veto 3) (as said before). Each player still is allowed to choose any boosters he/she would like for their whole season before hand (a ttoal of 10 boosters), but there must be 5 ses chosen LOTF-after and 5 boosters chosen pre-LOTF (this is to prevent buer-good squads from like 10 IEs lol). So, post (1) your name, (2) your map veto choices, and (3) your up-to-4 veto character choices. Once you post them they're set in.

After everyone has posted their character veto choices, each person will choose what boosters they want for their ENTIRE season. The number of boosters they draft will be the # of weeks in the rgular season + 2 (their starting boosters). Players can choose whcihever boosters they want (even booster containing vetoed characters), but each player may choose NO MORE than 2 of one booster, and each non-vetoed booster must be chosen at least once. BE CAREFUL what boosters youi choose. While you can choose a booster with a vetoed character in it, f you happen to pull that vetoed character you will NOT be allowed to use im/her during the entire league. (es. If mas ammeda is vetoed and someoene pulls him, he will NOT be allowd to use him AT ALL theoughout the league regulation). While posting all their booster pulls, each person will also post what 2 boosters they want to open to stat their season with.

ERRATA #2:
-Each player must choose at least TWO (2) sets from RS-UNIV. that's 2 DIFFERENT sets...so no x2 CS, x2 UNIV, etc. Also, all current boosters are called off, and will be re-chosen AFTER the veto of characters is finished (so get your veto choices in!!). ill still leave the boosters up, but i expect everyone to fix their choices via BM or post. This too means that there will be 8 booster "free" slots left, and it's still the whol pre-LOTF/LOTF-newer thing, but only 4 boosters are chosen from pre/newer.
creme_brule
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 5:51:24 AM

Part II: The Season

The regular season consists of the amount of maps left from the R-S-O list that were not vetoed (the reason why i dont say the exact number is because i havent counted all the RSO maps on VASSALyet lol). Anyways, each week will be regulated by a map. For example, on Week 1 it might look like this:

''Week 1: Crytal Caves of Illum''
Bob vs. Rick
A vs. B
etc. Etc.

While winning/losng might not seem so important to you sine you already drafted your boosters, but BE CAREFUL! Winning the regular season might just come in hndy at the playoffs. The #1 seed does not play the #8 seed by default, but gets to CHOOSE what opponent he/she would like to play for the first round of the playoffs. (more details on playoffs below). Games will last no more than 1 hour and 15 minutes, unless BOTH opponents decide to finish the game. At the end of each game, each opponent will tell the other person what next booster from their lot that they have not chosen yet that they would like to open for the next week. Then one person will post the results with a short description of the battle, like so:

Creme vs. Brule
Creme wins, 205-115

it was a tough battle, but a few great rolls for me and a few horrible rolls for brule made this game go in favor for me. Blah blah blah.

Cremes booster choice: RS
brules booster choice: ROTS

something lke tat. Now, theres how scoring works. Each person gets scored on how many points they got during the game (so creme would get 205 and brule wuld get 115), but the winner gets +50 points. Playoff seeds are decided by the total nuimber of points each person has at the end of the regulsr season.
creme_brule
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 5:51:54 AM

Part III: The Playoffs

playoff seed will be decied by the ntotal number of points scored by each player throughout the entire season. The seeds will look like this:

Seed 1: (# of points) Billy
Seed 2: (# of points) Bob
etc. Et.c

Opponents and one bonus booster will be decided by the seeds. The number 1 seed will get to choose 1 booster from the selection of non-vetoed boosters (this can even be one that hes already chosen bwefore twice) and also choose who he would like to face in round 1 of the playoffs. Then, seed #2 will choose one opponent and one of the remaining boosters from the seection of non-vetoed booster that was NOT chosen by seed #1. If seed #1 chose seed #2 to play in the playoffs, seed #2 would only chose a booster and not an opponent since he already has one! Then the next seed follows suit, and so on. Seed #8 gets the remaining booster that was not chosen by the other seeds. The losers of round one will be knocked off, and then there will be 4 seeds left. The highest remaining seed will get to choose another booster (the non-vetoed booster list is automatically all available again) and then choose an opponent hed like to face in round 2. The next highest seed is by default assigned to the last seed, but will be able to choose any booster not chosen by the highest seed in round 2...and so forth. In the final round the the last two seeds will play each other. The winner will be considered the old school champion! =P
creme_brule
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2010 5:52:31 AM

Part IV: Q's & A's

This is the section for questions/answers about the rules! If you have a question to ask me, pot a comment on this theread or BM me and ill copy the questiononto here and post a reply below to the best o my abilites!
creme_brule
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:22:37 AM

bump!
creme_brule
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:25:57 AM

updated with errata
Crashh Niner
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 5:06:19 PM

So if I choose a Bounty hunter booster and get BFBH, I'm out a fig and playing with 6 for that game?
creme_brule
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 7:23:03 AM

Crashh Niner wrote:
So if I choose a Bounty hunter booster and get BFBH, I'm out a fig and playing with 6 for that game?

sadly, yes. this is to prevent broken squads occuring like my BMBL squad lol which won me the league title