RegisterDonateLogin

My give up, my give up.

Welcome Guest Active Topics | Members

Little Egypt Wars- Carbondale Illinois- Sept 25th Options
Disturbed1
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:02:15 AM
Groups: Member

Carbondale Illinois will be hosting its second annual Little Egypt Wars gaming convention on Saturday, September 25th. Doors open at 8am, games start at 9am, and door close around 11, I think.

Carbondale Civic Center
200 S Illinois Ave
Carbondale, IL 62901

Cost is $15 at the door, or $10 if you pre-register by Sept 19th. Click the link to go to the event page: http://warhorn.net/little-egypt-wars-2010/

On the page you can pre-register, find about about events, and other information.

We will be holding 3 SWM tournies!!!

9am: Fantastic Four
2pm: 200pt constructed
7pm: 200pt Tile Wars (spare tiles will be on hand if you dont have any)

For prize support, so far, this year we have a case of minis donated by the lgs, Castle Perilous, as well as some donations by Mapmaker and jedicartographer. Special thanks to Chris and Matt for the donations!

Each tournament should last 4-5 rounds, or enough to cut to a clear winner, whichever is less.

DCI rules will apply for all tournies. Offically previewed V-set pieces will be allowed to be used.

We hope to see you there!
tx3252
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:10:44 AM

Can't wait.
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:12:02 AM
Groups: Member , Moderator

I'm looking forward to this.

Of course, as luck would have it I have something else going on that day.
I may need to miss the 200 in the afternoon, but plan to play in the other two events.

Seth, I'll let you know when I figure out what I will donate for prize support. BlooMilk
Disturbed1
Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 11:45:56 PM

Ok, Im officialy taking suggestions for dividing the maps for prize support. I currently have 4 maps and 1 tile pack from Mapmaker, and jedicartographer says there is a map pack in the mail coming to me, so it ought to be here in a few days.

So, dividing those up for 3 tournies:

Idea 1:
Tile Wars: tile pack
200pt constructed: 2 Mapmaker maps
FF: 2 Map maker maps
Grand prize to overall winner of the day(who cannot be me or carl, as we arent playing in all three tournies): JC mappack

I like this one cause it kinda spreads the prizes out all over all day fairly evenly, and gives an incentive to play all three games. Dont like it cause it gives those who do poorly in even one tourney no chance at winning the grand prize

Idea 2:
Tile Wars: tile pack
200pt constructed: 4 Mapmaker maps
FF: JC mappack

I like this one cause if you do well in at least one tourney, you have a good chance of getting the map/tile prizes. I dont like it cause the 4 mapmaker maps would be seperate prizees, meaning that one tourney would have 4 prizes from the maps/tiles, while the other two will only have 1.

Keep in mind we are also getting a case of minis, probably be divided up to 4 boosters/ tourney.

So, how do YOU think this should be handled? One of those, or maybe some other way?
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 2:01:27 AM

Hmm...

I do like the idea of the JC Map Pack as a grand prize. (is it MP4?)

It's a big prize befitting the overall winner. Perhaps it could be determined by most victory points, which would give a better chance of winning to everyone, and encourage complete games? (one more thing to keep track of, and concessions would muck that up, so might have to play all games to time that didn't finish early...not so good)

The first option certainly seems best to me. If I come up with another idea, I'll post again.
Disturbed1
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 6:48:55 AM

Victory point idea doesnt sound bad actually. I had originally rules that out, as I really didnt want to have to deal with it, but I guess its better than nothing.

Also, just got the mappack in. Havent opened it yet, so I dont know which one.

if you read this, JC, thanks again!
swinefeld
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 6:56:50 AM

Doing victory points for the prize would also be a consolation of sorts for those tough games that are very close with lots of kills on both sides.

We might want to have sheets for players to write down the points results after each match.
tx3252
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:47:23 AM

swinefeld wrote:
Doing victory points for the prize would also be a consolation of sorts for those tough games that are very close with lots of kills on both sides.

We might want to have sheets for players to write down the points results after each match.

I like the idea of using victory points as well. If you want someone to come up with some sheets for people to use I'll type something up and make some copies to bring.
Disturbed1
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:17:30 AM

That sounds like it wouldnt be too difficult to handle. I'll have something typed up if thats the way I decide to go.

Anyone else got any other ideas?
swinefeld
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:36:39 AM

We have some padded swords at home.

We could clear the room and have saber duels.

Single elimination, roll for the matchups each round.

Champion takes the map pack. Razz

Disturbed1
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:35:56 PM

I'll give you the mappack if you smack Scott with one of them. :P
swinefeld
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:56:06 PM

Disturbed1 wrote:
I'll give you the mappack if you smack Scott with one of them. :P

Deal. Can I can use Ambush? LOL
Disturbed1
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 12:40:43 AM

Thats fine with me, but I have to see you do itThumbsUp

LITTLE EGYPT WARS IS TOMORROW!!!!!

COME OUT, HAVE A GOOD TIME, AND PREPARE TO LOSE *Vader Breathing*

Edit: I think Im gonna go with the 'total victory points through the day' thing for the mappack....assuming you dont hit Scott with the sword.

Edit 2: If we are going to go with points for kills and gambit, how do you score a person who gets a bye in a round? Full 200?
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 12:49:17 AM

I think that is the best way to go. I haven't ruled out the sword yet though. :P

I've got my FF ready.
I've got a Tile Wars squad, but not too sure about it...
Can't decide on a 200 quite yet. Have to decide on trying v-set previews or not.
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 12:52:21 AM

Oh, byes would really cause a problem... not sure.
Maybe some others will chime in.
tx3252
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 2:49:01 AM

For those who get byes, maybe they can play the judge and count those victory points toward their total. Probably a bad idea but its all I can think of.

As far as squads, I've got two FF's ready. I'll choose tomorrow morning.
Three 200 point squads. No clue which to use yet. Should I go with competitive or fun is the problem.
No clue yet on tile wars since I've never played it before. Do people usually bring regular 200 point squads or major power output squads?
swinefeld
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 3:59:40 AM

tx3252 wrote:
For those who get byes, maybe they can play the judge and count those victory points toward their total. Probably a bad idea but its all I can think of.

As far as squads, I've got two FF's ready. I'll choose tomorrow morning.
Three 200 point squads. No clue which to use yet. Should I go with competitive or fun is the problem.
No clue yet on tile wars since I've never played it before. Do people usually bring regular 200 point squads or major power output squads?

I like that idea - and that way the judges could be in on the grand prize too, but not the regular prize pool for that event. But, one of them is Carl, so maybe not. Razz jk

Squads - major power output/mass kill capability, or something built to counter that.
The biggest thing is that there is nowhere to hide. That changes everything compared to most normal builds.
tx3252
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 4:06:12 AM

Thanks. That's what I thought. Now to get my squad ready.Sneaky
Disturbed1
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 6:00:54 AM

Myabe have them play the judge, but idk.

Also, no, judges wont get points towards the grand prize for those matches.

So, if Carl can manage to get more points in the one tourney he plays in, or I can manage with just two tourneys, then either or us might win, but its unlikely. At least thats how I feel right now anyway.
Disturbed1
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 1:37:01 AM

So here is my play report, and its kinda sad :(

We had 7 total players show up all day. WTH is with that? Where were all you guys?

9am was Fantastic Four. I played Reven, 2x SHAD, Iktotchi Tech Spec.

Round 1 vs Matt (tx3252): Darth Bane, Malak DLotS, Cad Bane, ???

He won map roll so we played on muunilist. I chose the good side, and began advancing on the gambit zone while he cametowards the middle from the corner closest to him. With Intuition I managed to get a couple shots on Bane before he could close all the way. After he based I took a couple more shots after moving the un-based SHAD around the pillar to help keep the other pieces off my back. Init, I won and fired, he attacked and didnt kill it. I based Bane with Revan and attacked and set up for the next round, repairing the injured droid. Init, I win, Revn triples and downs Bane. He does some more positioning, and I kill the cheap piece that I cant think of, and move my pieces away from each other to avoid being Malak's lightning. He does it anyway, I use the SHADs to down Malak while Revan begins moving towards the top of the map to go after Bane who is hiding in a room. I close in, Intuition up, and kill Bane.
1-0. No pieces lost.

Round 2 vs Michael: GM Luke, Mara, Ganner, BloodCarver

I won map roll and chose his Arena Pit, instead of my DeathStar. I completely forgot he had stealth on two pieces, lol. We begin and at the start of round 2, I intuition one SHAD down to take two shots at Luke, as he is the only thing I can see. I need 13s to hit, but its all ive got. Miss, Hit, Crit, Hit. he rolled to Defense two times vs the crit and failed boths, Luke took 80. Closer to the end of the round he threw luke, who then advanced closer to me, and positioned to throw Mara the next round, and I corrupt her someplace in there. More shots, he throws Mara who doesnt manage to base. Luke bases and twins, I take a couple more shots and Luke is down to 30. I win init and the decision is do I attack Mara with the SHAD basing her, who does have LOS to Luke and can kill Mara, since she has failed a Corruption save, or do I use the other SHAD who is based to Luke to try to kill him. I go with the Mara based one, but I take all four shots to down Mara. Luke attacks my other SHAD, but I save well, and it survives, and kills Luke. He is down to ganner and the BC, who i chase around a bit, but its not enough against my entire team, obviously.
2-0, still no pieces lost.

Round 3 vs Mickey (Mickey): Aurra Sing, Cad Bane, Boba Merc, Durge JH

He won map roll and was using DS also, so I set up in the little room above the hangarbay. He moved out from the bottom hallway, taking cover in that first little 'room' that has no doors along the bottom of the map. We exchange shots as I sit in the area just outside the bridge, making sure I get cover and he can only draw to the SHADs. Over a few rounds he realizes hes fighting an uphill battle, but continues the same way he has been, so I stay put and wait til I drop Durge and get Aurra down to one hit left before moving out. After the init, I can see Boba, I can see Aurra and cad, but Im too far from Cad, so i pop Aurra and down she goes. i move into the gambit area, now positive that Boba alone isnt going to down Revan, which was my initial fear. I use intuition to base Cad and kill, and then use Intuition to get clear shows on Boba while he runs. With 20hp left on Boba, we roll init, I roll a 1 , he uses Boba to double cunning Revan, who then moves up 6 and corrupts for the win.
3-0, he took down 1 SHAD and the Iktotchi.

Im in first, Mickey is second, Kristen takes third( GGDAC, proxy, Tyranus, Cad Bane).

Second tourney of the day was 200pt constructed.

I played Kybuck, Gen Skywalker, Comm Ahsoka, Dash, Panaka, Mas, R2, Gran, ugo, brute on Throne Room, i think.

Round 1 vs Matt (tx3235) playing 49? activations of brutes with Roll-16 to stay alive Leia, the ithorian Commander, Dodonna and a few other things. he was playing the same map, so i set up on the side with the hangar bay, and put everyone but Mas in the bay, while Mas was in the little room a the bottom. he was waiting to outactivate me, so just used one fig at a time, and used mostly his commanders, so I wont bother with his stuff. Important moves for me. Open the front hangar bay door. Tow up Anakin, Have Anakin knight speed around the outside of the rooms, towards the back hallway. Swap for yobuck. Yobuck moves 26 through his ranks dropping all 9ish of the 10 mice brought in with lobot, lobot, Tsur, and probably at least 20-25 other brutes, ewoks, and ugos. He rolled to save with leia on each legal one, and made maybe 4 of them. he bases with the ones around Ypbuck who can reach him to hit, deals 40 dmg, and concedes.
1-0.

Round 2 vs Kristen (kristeng06) aka my wife playing Lancer squad on Rancor pit.
She won map roll so i chose the cage side, spreading my pieces out as best I could to avoid a lancer strafe. At the end of round two nothing had been killed, I was in gambit with yobuck, with Anakin, R2 and Ahsoka all close behind, wtih Dash near the top of the map behind a wall, so i might get some shots off. Round 3 I position a bit more, she pawns the lancer from its starting spot and has it hit yobuck, and it goes back, but not far enough away from yobuck. next round, we are running out of time, so its time for "go big or go home" which normally doesnt work out well for me, lol. I move yobuck around at the start of the round, and end based with the Lancer, who I smack with Gallop, and then my regular attack with momentum, and drop it. She moves an 86 out and kills the buck, but I tow Anakin up and kill the 86. She returns fire with the 2nd one, but it doesnt drop Anakin, who I swap with Dash to get some more points by killing Gha Nackt and moving close to Sidious. Se fires at Dash but cant connect, thanks to my uber-Evade rolls, so I pull out a low-point win.
2-0

Round 3 vs Mickey (Mickey) with Potty Palps, Vader unleashed, Dash, jag, and some other stuff on rancor pit again.

I set up pretty well the same way, trying to keep vader from being able to draw to me at all, and advance teh same way. Near the end of the second round Dash has been choked, but thats all the dmg ive taken. I move up to base palpy with yobuck and dish out 60 dmg thanks to momentum, then Swap for Dash, who makes his evades, moves away from Palps, rebases, and drops Palps. A few rounds later yobuck is near the top, hiding in one of the cages, and moves down to smack at both Vader and another piece, a red guard of some kind. I swap for Anakin, as ive got vader down to 20, so i know he wont risk attacking with vader, for fear of Djem So. the guard hits Anakin, i block, Djem So, and hit back. Anakin drops Vader, and moves away from the guard to try to get cover from his Dash, but he takes the AoO, Djem So, and crit, killing the guard. His dash manages to drop Anakin, but time is called and I win on points.
3-0

I ran the third, so thats all for me, but 6-0 for the day makes me happy.